Chapter 212 – Confessionals
322 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scarlett observed Raimond, considering him for a moment. “I must confess, I did not anticipate this conversation happening so soon, but very well. It would seem you are more yourself than at our last meeting,” she said. “Unless, of course, this is an act. With you, it is always difficult to be certain.”

Raimond chuckled lightly, breaking some of the tension as he placed the artifact that had been muffling the noise around them on the windowsill. “Coming from you, Baroness, that almost feels like an indictment. I have had difficulty fathoming what goes through your mind since we first met.”

“I take that as a compliment. It would not bode well for me if I were so easily seen through.”

“That I do not doubt,” Raimond replied, his gaze lingering on her, an inscrutable smile on his face. “This last day’s revelations have peeled back enough layers of that noble guise of yours to tell me that there remains much, much more hidden beneath it. Ah, but you’ll have to excuse my forwardness. Who am I to speak of concealing oneself under a guise? As it would appear you’ve been aware of for some time, I am oft-guilty of the same charge.”

“I do believe our circumstances differ,” Scarlett said, “but I personally find no fault in your tactics.”

“How magnanimous of you, Baroness.”

“Rather, I see little value in dwelling on what does not concern me.”

“Then perhaps I should count myself fortunate that you’ve deemed it worthwhile to allow my company on several occasions.” Raimond shook his head, a hint of melancholy in the gesture. “If only my peers and colleagues would share that sentiment, but alas.”

Scarlett studied the man’s exaggeratedly forlorn expression, but opted to bypass his dramatics. “You mentioned briefing your colleagues on recent events. With that, I presume you were referring to the Quorum. How much have you disclosed to them?”

“As much as I suspect you expected me to,” Raimond answered. “The situation left me little room to maneuver in that aspect, unfortunately. Caught between the Scylla of one danger and the Charybdis of another, as they say.”

Scarlett’s mind caught on the man’s choice of words. Those were some curious names she’d just heard. Were there monsters with the same names in this world as well? She wasn’t familiar with them, if so, but it wouldn’t be the first instance of a linguistic artifact from her world finding its way into this one in such a fashion.

“I conveyed about as much as I managed to glean on my own,” Raimond continued. “That included some observations related to the citadel and you and your companions — details that couldn’t be omitted. Regrettably, however, I somehow forgot to inform them of your presence in Crowcairn or Miss Hale’s particular condition. Quite careless of me, but what can a man do when the ails of his age start wearing at his mind? Fortunately, there’s always time to remedy such slip-ups in the future, if necessary.”

“I would prefer if there was not,” Scarlett said.

“I’ll certainly take that into consideration.” The man gave a noncommittal shrug. “This will indubitably be of no shock to you, but your presence during a Vile’s manifestation attempt is bound to draw more of the Quorum’s scrutiny eventually, not to mention others’. If you’re seeking a plausible explanation for your involvement, and Miss Hale’s presence, it is likely something you’ll have to devise yourself.”

“There is no need for concern. Your actions thus far will be more than enough. I have already considered how to handle the matter.”

Scarlett could leverage her connection with Duke Valentino and Sir Home’s men to explain most of it. As for Rosa’s presence, only a few people were even aware the bard was here. Some of the soldiers had seen her when she and Scarlett arrived at the camp, but it probably wouldn’t be too hard to ensure minimal attention was placed on that.

That was assuming Raimond would keep to his word.

Scarlett studied the man as he, in turn, considered her. Once again, she found herself mulling over his potential thoughts and motives, wondering if she was still over-analyzing things in regard to him.

“While it did align with my expectations, your willingness to collaborate, despite the potential ethical quandaries and the risk to your standing, surprises me, Deacon Abram,” Scarlett said. “Although I do not consider my actions unethical, I am aware that there are many who would, and I do not think that our relationship is at a point where it would justify your faith in me. What convinced you to take such a gamble on our fledgling alliance?”

Raimond’s expression softened, revealing a moment of introspection as his voice carried a mix of humor and seriousness. “Oh, the reasons are myriad, Baroness. Indeed, undeniably, invariably, there have been many occasions this morning where I’ve pondered my own sanity, contemplating if it was truly in my best interest and my order’s to believe in you as I have. As you say, undoubtedly, I’ve risked both my position and my favor in the eyes of my god. Few, if any, other members of the Quorum would even consider such a prospect.” He paused, folding his hands in his lap as a more resolute expression settled over his features. “However, ultimately, at the heart of it, my reasoning can be reduced to a rather simple understanding: my interactions with you have convinced me of the importance of not dismissing your warnings outright.”

Their gazes locked, as though an unspoken understanding passed between them.

“So, is that where you would like to begin, then?” Scarlett eventually asked.

“Indeed.”

“Very well.” Scarlett adjusted her posture, preparing herself for the coming discussion. “I believe Fynn’s message to you carried a dual purpose, yes?”

Raimond nodded. “It did, though I’ll admit that the full implications of the latter part eluded me, even if I gleaned the significance behind it.”

“Only the first part of the message I asked him to convey was meant as a warning. The second served more as an advisory notice, if you will. I had thought you would recognize its meaning, but perhaps I was overestimating the information at the Followers’ disposal.” A brief frown crossed Scarlett’s features before she lightly shook her head. “No matter. Let us begin by addressing the first topic — let us discuss the traitors within the Quorum.”

Raimond’s demeanor soured ever so slightly as a hint of tension entered his expression.

“Am I correct in assuming that you already harbored your suspicions of a traitor within the Followers’ leadership?” Scarlett asked, observing his reaction closely.

“…It is true that I and my fellow Deacon Ava Solnate have had our misgivings lately, yes,” Raimond replied. “But unless my grasp of our Imperial tongue is lacking, your warning used the word ‘traitors’, suggesting there is more than one malefactor.”

“That is correct.”

“And, pray tell, who might these individuals be?”

“Deacon Davenport and Deacon Townsend.”

Though the man tried to hide it, Scarlett caught the fleeting surprise crossing his features, quickly masked by a return to his composed exterior.

“…Both men are highly regarded members not only within the Quorum but also within our order as a whole. They have served diligently in their positions for longer than most others. Davenport has been a deacon for decades, and there are few in the current generation who boast an impact rivaling his. As for Deacon Townsend, his devotion to the order is nigh legendary, and he is one of the foremost experts on demons and the threat they pose. I struggle to think of any acts he has done that have not contributed to ensuring the safety of the empire’s citizens. What traitorous plots are you suggesting that men of their standing might be involved in, Baroness?”

“I am not suggesting anything, Deacon,” Scarlett said. “I am merely apprising you of what I know. Deacon Davenport has been colluding with one of the Viles for some time, while Deacon Townsend has had dealings with an foreign actor to amass much of the expertise he boasts, offering up crucial information and resources from the Followers in return.”

Neither of the two deacons were major characters in the game, but their actions were central to certain questlines. Deacon Davenport’s entanglement was with Malevolence, the only other Vile Scarlett knew decently well after Anguish. Despite Malevolence not playing as pivotal a role as Anguish, as a vile, Malevolence was no less loathsome. Deacon Davenport’s alliance with the demon was far from justifiable.

In contrast, Deacon Townsend’s betrayal seemed less egregious at first glance. As far as Scarlett was aware, he genuinely believed his actions served the Followers of Ittar and the empire’s best interests, and he was probably mostly correct. The individual he was working with also only counted as a ‘foreign actor’ by technicality.

It was Mistress, after all.

The woman wasn’t inherently evil, nor were her plans. Given Scarlett’s own collaboration with her, she couldn’t exactly fault Deacon Townsend for doing the same. The difference lay in Scarlett being aware of the full implications of Mistress’ ultimate objective, an understanding Townsend lacked.

“…These are grave allegations,” Raimond said.

“I would not be making them if I were not certain of their validity,” she responded. “Moreover, I believe we are well past the stage where my accusations against members of the Quorum can be deemed my worst offense.”

Raimond considered her for several seconds. “…No, right you are, I suppose.”

“So, did one of the two happen to be the person you and Deacon Solnate had misgivings about?” Scarlett asked.

“Yes, sadly,” the man admitted with a sigh. “Certain actions by Deacon Davenport have been notably peculiar. When it first came to my attention, I investigated some of his involvement in past events, before my own tenure as a deacon, finding several instances that were conspicuous. This included an incident in Quickwallow where a revelation by the former Augur caused a rather unfortunate series of events to unfold.”

He fell silent for a moment. “Then there was a recent episode where intruders penetrated the very heart of the Sanctuary of Ittar. How the perpetrators managed to do so without any opposition remains a mystery. The Quorum decided against public disclosure, but I suspect you are aware of it, nonetheless. Am I correct?”

“I have heard of it, yes. Do you suspect a deacon’s involvement in that incident?” Scarlett asked.

All this time, she’d been worrying that Raimond somehow knew about her role in that, so the possibility of his suspicion falling elsewhere was a relief.

“It is a distinct risk,” Raimond replied. “Few are the people who could devise a way into the Sanctuary and bypass the Knights of the Eternal Oath guarding its halls.” Some of his previous seriousness faded as his expression softened into a slight smirk. “Though you, Baroness, might be one of those exceptions.”

Scarlett maintained an unaffected mask on her face. “I would ask that you keep the jests to yourself, Deacon.”

While she was pretty sure he meant it as a joke, it didn’t make her any less uncomfortable. Nevertheless, he had shown no sign of recognizing [Ittar’s Genesis] in Crowcairn after the relic had been altered from Malachi’s ritual, so it wasn’t as if he should have any additional reason to suspect Scarlett at this point.

Actually, considering Malachi’s connection to Mistress, who was working with Deacon Townsend, if it ever came to that, maybe Scarlett could spin some tale that those three were behind the Sanctuary heist. However, she’d need to ensure there weren’t any holes in that kind of lie.

Raimond cleared his throat. “Surely, I will strive to do so. I will also, of course, make every effort to avail myself of whatever information you can provide about our two ‘estimable’ deacons. Dark clouds loom over the empire, and unscrupulous actors acting within the Followers could lead to tragedies unlike any other if left unaddressed. Naturally, this is all assuming your words are entirely accurate, Baroness. That being so, may I inquire how you went about acquiring this information? Any evidence you could provide would be more than helpful.”

“I cannot divulge the how, nor can I offer you any tangible evidence useful in your current situation,” Scarlett said.

“Then, may I venture a speculative guess as to the how, at least?” The man regarded her thoughtfully, hand on his chin. “Hmm. As ever, anything relating to you becomes a complex puzzle indeed. In this instance, I would say…providence, perhaps?”

Scarlett raised a brow. “Providence?”

Raimond nodded. “The confidence with which you proceed and the certainty in your own knowledge brings to mind tales of the first Augur in the times of the Renascence. Though the thought hadn’t even occurred to me till just now, it seemed remiss not to at least consider the parallels, however improbable it may seem.”

He motioned with one arm towards Allyssa and Shin where they sat beside him. “In my conversations with your ever-charming companions, they have regaled me with numerous accounts of your exploits and the apparent prescience you so often display. To others, their laudable praises might be dismissed as the excessive admirations of retainers for their—presumably handsomely generous—lady. But my own experiences with you have taught me not to underestimate the claims I hear that relate to you, however anecdotal they may appear. I still remain rather intrigued to hear more about that dragon story of yours.”

Shin, absorbed in his reading, seemed unaware of Raimond’s gesture in their direction. Allyssa, on the other hand, blinked in surprise and gave them curious looks, seemingly eager to ask them some questions once their discussion was finished.

Scarlett eyed Raimond with a prolonged frown. “Let us say it was indeed providence. Which god would you suggest I am conferring with?”

The man’s expression became contemplative, his brows knitting as he crossed his arms. Eventually, he offered a shrug. “Perhaps the Mistress of the Perennial Scowl?”

She stared at him, then shook her head. “Your initial demeanour led me to expect a serious dialogue, yet it seems you are increasingly struggling to maintain the pretense.”

Raimond just offered another smile. “Pardon me immensely, Baroness. It is most challenging to dispense with one’s old habits, and I often find myself forgetting myself in your group’s company.”

“You mean to say that this is not how you act around others in your order?”

“…Fair point. Perhaps it is best if we abandon this particular topic, posthaste, and pivot back to the matter previously discussed.”

As usual, Scarlett’s interactions with this man reminded her of dealing with Rosa at times. She was rather thankful that the times when she had to deal with both simultaneously were rare.

“As I already explained,” she began, “I will not be able to furnish you with an exact answer regarding how I obtained my information… However, I will confirm that, while some of the details were gathered through conventional means and connections, others also hail from avenues not readily accessible to most. If you doubt their credibility, I will simply provide you with the means to verify them independently.”

Raimond seemed to pause for a moment, a look of actual—if slight—surprise appearing on his face. Scarlett wasn’t sure whether he was taken aback by what she said or the fact that she admitted as much as she did.

There was a brief silence before he spoke. “I understand that this is not something I have the ability to press you on, but there is one thing I must ask, even had I no reason to expect an honest answer. These…enigmatic sources of yours, Baroness — might a humble priest inquire whether he should consider them an ally of the empire and its citizens, or diametrically opposed?”

“Neither,” Scarlett replied. “If they were the latter, however, I would hardly be here engaging in this conversation with you, Deacon.”

The man nodded politely. “No, you would not, would you?” he murmured, lapsing into thoughtful silence once more.

“Now, to return to the matter at hand,” Scarlett continued, her tone firm. “The information regarding your fellow deacons’ treachery was only the first piece I promised to share with you. While it apparently proved to be a more compelling persuasion on its own than I had anticipated, I will not renege on my word. You shall receive exactly what I promised in return for your assistance in Crowcairn.”

Raimond’s attention returned to her. “Ah, yes. Regarding that other matter Fynn informed me of. Please enlighten me, Baroness, precisely what is this ‘Tribute of Dominion’?”

Scarlett paused, considering him for a moment. “Are you truly not familiar with the term?”

“I am not.”

That surprised Scarlett, honestly. Other than warning Raimond about the traitorous deacon—which she knew was something he couldn’t ignore—she’d also instructed Fynn to warn the man about the impending return of the Tribute of Dominion. She had assumed him to know what that meant.

As far as she was aware, the Tribute of Dominion had a near-legendary status, and it played a pivotal role in the game, coveted by all factions towards the game’s midpoint. Its procurement was paramount for the Hallowed Cabal’s goals, so its return was a matter of great significance. Especially considering the chaos it could unleash upon the empire and the continent as a whole.

Scarlett continued studying the man closely, searching his expression for any hint of deception or feigned ignorance. “Deacon Abram,” she began, “have you ever encountered the name ‘Beld Thylelion’?”

The Followers of Ittar’s motivation in trying to enter Beld Thylelion in the game, the site housing the Tribute of Dominion, was to thwart the Cabal’s ambitions. So why would Raimond be oblivious to what it was?

“I believe I have come across the term before,” the man said. “Perhaps in some of the old archives on the Zuver? However, I must confess that I am far from an expert on the subject, and my understanding of it is rather limited.”

Scarlett frowned. When she had spoken with Dean Warley Godwin, he had been familiar with both Beld Thylelion and the Tribute of Dominion. Although, now that she thought back to it, she realized the old wizard had never explicitly confirmed that he knew what the Tribute of Dominion was.

Did people in this world somehow possess less information about the Tribute than she was expecting? She doubted the Cabal held any misconceptions about it, though, since—

Her eyes widened slightly as a possibility dawned on her.

The Cabal had been around for a long time, and they were the only faction besides Scarlett herself with the confirmed ability to transcend the boundaries set by the game’s plot, defying the fate of this world. If so, it was conceivable that they had taken deliberate measures over the centuries to suppress any knowledge related to the Tribute of Dominion from spreading.

But something about that theory felt off. Even though Scarlett had verified that the Cabal could challenge this world’s fate, most of her information on them remained surprisingly accurate. If they’d had literal centuries at their disposal to change things, it was unlikely that her knowledge would align so closely with reality. This suggested that they were still slaves to fate, at least to a certain degree.

Perhaps they could only induce minor changes? Scarlett remained unclear about how their fate-altering abilities worked. She still didn’t understand how it worked for her. Her talks with Godwin indicated that only a select few Cabal members could defy fate, but the exact mechanics were murky. She knew their power stemmed from the being locked behind the Seal of Thainnith, but not much more. Did they perform some kind of ritual to get it? The Angler Man would likely possess the ability, at least, considering he was both their leader and the oldest member.

Regardless, it seemed like the Followers of Ittar had less information about Beld Thylelion and what lay inside than they had in the game. Scarlett suspected they would still act when the ruins themselves opened, but if they were less aware of the stakes, it could pose an issue.

Or at least it might, had she not been involved.

“I feel rather left out,” Raimond’s voice interrupted her thoughts. “Care to share what has you so engrossed in your ruminations?”

“…I was merely taken aback by your apparent lack of knowledge,” Scarlett said.

“You certainly don’t mince words. Fortunately for you, I am no stranger to disappointing people,” Raimond replied.

“I am sure.” Scarlett eyed the man for a moment. “Regarding the Tribute of Dominion, to put it simply, it is the ‘artifact’ which Beld Thylelion was built to protect, and it was created by the Zuverian divinarch known as Thainnith. Suffice to say, the power latent within the Tribute of Dominion is near boundless, a beacon of potential that has drawn the gaze of both the Hallowed Cabal, the Undead Council, and various other factions. Beld Thylelion’s imminent awakening will ignite a fierce competition among those who vying for its prize.”

Raimond’s expression became more severe. “You say this ruin will open soon? When and where will this transpire?”

“The exact date is unknown, but I anticipate its emergence within the coming months. As for its location, that question is best answered by the mage towers.”

Scarlett would have to check with Adalicia Mendenhall to see whether the towers were actually capable of pinpointing its position in time. The woman was an expert on Zuverian lore, so she ought to at least have heard about the Tribute of Dominion. However, Scarlett was now slightly concerned that Adalicia wouldn’t fully grasp the urgency and importance of finding Beld Thylelion before its unveiling.

“That offers little to go on for something of such purported significance, Baroness,” Raimond said.

“True, but it should be enough.”

While Scarlett herself knew where Beld Thylelion was, that wasn’t information she wanted to disclose prematurely. Not before she had reached the place first.

“We can explore the details related to this and the other topic soon,” she added. “But there is another issue I would like to discuss first: the nature of our relationship hereon.”

Raimond responded with a wry smile. “An important topic to discuss, indeed. I must say, I had entertained the possibility that you would simply impart this knowledge and then wash your hands of me as if I were a mere nuisance. While such a course would have undoubtedly simplified matters for me, I fear leaving things at that would constitute a dereliction of duty and a transgression that even I could not overlook.”

“My intentions are quite the opposite,” Scarlett said. “I believe our continued collaborations would be mutually beneficial, both for myself, you, and the Followers at large.”

Although she still had some reservations, she felt relatively assured in trusting him after their experiences. While she preferred working with individuals like Beldon Tyndall, whose motives were relatively transparent, there were plenty of things that Raimond’s skill set and position could offer Scarlett.

Raimond scrutinized her, his eyes narrowing with suspicion. “Why do I get the distinct impression that you possess ample experience in forging these types of clandestine covenants?”

“My conjecture is as good as yours regarding your peculiar delusions,” Scarlett said.

“Au contraire, my dear Baroness. I believe you are the sole authority on such matters. However, I have never been one to pry into a lady’s secrets, especially when she’s aware of my curiosity. Hence, I have no choice but to concede the point,” Raimond replied, his smile disarming yet full of implied intrigue.

“Let us not veer from the topic at hand, Deacon. As I have mentioned, I am willing to maintain a partnership between us that serves both parties. Given our current situation, this seems to be our optimal course. Do you concur?”

“It would be unwise of me to refuse at this juncture,” Raimond said, and as he did, the atmosphere grew even more relaxed between them.

[Siḋ̫̮́̕e-Q̴͍̱̹̜ͤͣͥ͊uest co̪̩̻̮̫̗̞ͥͤ͋ͨ͝mp̛͙̜̓ͦͧͤl̪̳̫̼̞̺̯ͦͭͥ͡eted: Ȕ̷̱̖̤̫̗͕̱̘̇nd̥̠̲̗̤̬̽ͮ̐ͤ͘ͅerhand—]

[̵̫̝̰̣̩̅�̢͇̟̜̙̰̪̫̻ͤ̋̈�̮̫ͧͭ͌̌͘�̢̘͓̰͑̍̀�̠̠̫̤̗̙̠͈̄̇̓́͘]

[———————————————————————————————]

[Side-Quest completed: Underhanded dealings with the honorable unscrupulous priest]
{Skill points awarded: 8}

Scarlett’s attention shifted to the window of text that appeared before her, glitching for a moment before settling into its usual form.

Somewhat concerning, but a faint, almost imperceptible smile nonetheless played at the corner of her mouth.

Finally.

She had been waiting for some sort of response like this for a while now. It seemed that whatever had happened within that void had left a lingering impact on the system, but at least it was now providing her with some form of feedback.

“Oh, what is this I see? Have I finally managed to coax a smile from the Baroness’s icy visage?”

Scarlett dismissed the windows and returned her focus to Raimond.

“During our journey to Crowcairn, Rosa claimed she had achieved a similar feat on occasion, but I was unsure whether her tales were mere braggadocio or truth,” the man continued.

Removing any trace of the smile from her expression, Scarlett replied, “Miss Hale’s accounts should always be taken with several handfuls of salt, if not dismissed entirely. Disregard whatever you believe you just saw. Now, I have a further inquiry for you. What are your intentions from here on out? Both in regards to the Quorum and the events that transpired here.” She motioned towards the window, where the silhouette of Anguish’s citadel stood in the distance. “The Vile’s stronghold remains, presumably as a result of the method which neutralized and contained her influence. This development will undoubtedly provoke numerous questions throughout the empire.”

Raimond showed a smirk that set off warning bells in Scarlett’s mind. “It seems Rosa does indeed know you quite well, Baroness. She also mentioned your tendency to deflect when embarrassed or when you wish to maintain an aura of mystery. Which can I assume is the case now?”

Scarlett’s gaze sharpened, and if Rosa had been awake, the bard would have received a similar look.

“Ahem.” Raimond cleared his throat, his expression turning ever-so-slightly more awkward. “Neither, I’ll take it.”

“If you would kindly address my question, Deacon Abram,” Scarlett said, her tone laced with a hint of impatience.

Why did it feel like everybody she knew enjoyed going around spreading tales about her? Rosa was by far the worst, but she was hardly the only one.

“Certainly!” Raimond quickly regained his composure. “Firstly, assuming once again that your assessment of the situation with the Vile inside Miss Hale is accurate, the Dawnbringers should be able to explore the citadel without much resistance. If I were to postulate, the Imperial Crown and the Quorum will probably reach an agreement regarding the handling of the matter beyond that point. It will presumably require some time, perhaps days or even weeks, considering its size, but as long as the citadel remains, it will likely unsettle the empire’s factions until every demon within has been thoroughly vanquished. I also imagine that the Shields Guild, Ustrum Assembly, and other mage groups will show interest, though traditionally, matters pertaining to threats from the Blazes and demons fall under my order’s jurisdiction first and foremost within the empire.”

“Should I expect to be questioned about our time in the citadel?” Scarlett asked.

“Most assuredly. Inquisitorial Auditors will seek you out, to be precise. I would suggest that you cooperate with them, but that is ultimately your decision. Matters always become rather complicated once my order has to interfere with nobles.”

“I have no intention of attracting further suspicion than is necessary.”

Raimond nodded in his approval. “A sensible mindset. Now, as for how I will manage the remainder of my estimable Quorum peers, I am afraid that I have yet to devise a suitable approach. Ittar knows why, but they were less than thrilled with my previous updates, and I foresee the most arduous of times ahead, compared to which mayhap not even the drudgery of endless paperwork could compare. This is especially true as I will also be devoting more time to investigating the actions of my fellows Davenport and Townsend, where possible.” He glanced over at Rosa. “When the opportunity presents itself, I would also like to have a talk with Rosa. There is much to be said between us.” Turning back to Scarlett, he added, “But I suspect that will have to wait, either until after your return to Bridgespell or my next visit to Freybrook.”

“I do not envy your position,” Scarlett said.

“Were I not aware of your off-time confrontations with Viles, Baroness, I might have requested a role reversal between us.”

“And I would have declined such a request.”

“I see that any semblance of mercy and compassion possessed within your heart has now been thoroughly exhausted.”

Scarlett shook her head, sighing inwardly. This man’s talent for steering conversations off course was difficult to match. “Let us move on to the specifics. There are many aspects we need to carefully consider moving forward.”

18