Chapter 215 – Girl talks
317 7 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scarlett found Rosa in the woman’s quarters, seated in a dim corner beside a round table, head lowered and klert cradled in her arms. Soft halcyon notes floated from the instrument, enveloping the room in a glum melody. Scarlett paused at the entrance, observing the bard, who seemed absorbed in her music.

Through haunted walls where echoes weep,
A melody of secrets, the troubadour does keep~
A visage cloaked in heartache’s guise,
Yet, a plea for joy in wanting cries~

Smile for me, ‘neath the silver veil,
In the spectral dance, let joy prevail~
Ghosts of laughter, shadow’s glee,
In the haunted night, smile for me~

Rosa’s voice, a quiet murmur blending with the music, carried layers of unspoken emotions. The lyrics… Scarlett faintly recognized them from the game, though she suspected they were slightly different.

She lingered near the doorway for a while, allowing the song’s final note to dissolve into silence. Rosa’s gaze remained fixed on the empty floorboards for several seconds, before eventually, Scarlett approached.

Rosa’s head lifted at the sound of footsteps, and a wry smile appeared on her face. “…Fancy meeting you here. Didn’t think I’d catch you sneaking around like this, but who could blame you?” The smile transformed into a smirk. “If you wanted a show, you could’ve just asked.”

“And I would have if that is what I desired,” Scarlett replied, moving to sit opposite the bard, placing the [Bag of Juham] on the table between them.

Rosa glanced at the bag, then back at Scarlett. “So, how’d your little city excursion go? Heard you went to rub elbows with some big-shot duke or other. Climbing up the social ladder, are we? Soon you’ll be beguiling princes and princesses.”

“I most assuredly hope not.” Scarlett shook her head. “And the meeting with the duke went well. He expressed interest in further discussions with me before we return to Freybrook.”

“Yeah? That’s good, I bet,” Rosa said, the woman’s gaze drifting to a painting of a ship on the wall, her fingers absentmindedly plucking at the strings and keys of her instrument.

Watching her from the side, Scarlett wondered what was going through the bard’s mind.

Eventually, she reached towards the [Bag of Juham]. “I have something for you.”

Rosa blinked, turning to look at Scarlett. “For me?”

“Yes.” Scarlett pulled out an item from the bag. “If you recall, upon our arrival in Bridgespell, we visited several artisans to commission equipment for the group. I have already distributed the items to everyone else; yours is the last remaining.”

“Oh, right,” Rosa said, her voice fading. “I’d completely forgotten about that, honestly, with everything else happening…”

She paused, her attention caught by the object Scarlett revealed.

Crafted from rich, polished wood and embellished with intricate detailing and imagery, it was an item Rosa was plenty familiar with. It featured multiple strings stretched across an exquisitely constructed bridge, with deliberately placed keys fashioned from bone-white marble adorning its face and a wheel of sorts set into the wood at the center. At the instrument’s base, a single handle beckoned to be cranked.

[Melodyscript Klert (rare)]
{Born from the hands of an expert artisan working with a seasoned enchanter and made from the rare Lyradra Wood, this instrument seems imbued with a sense of life and artistry, eagerly waiting to express its unique sound}

“You once jestingly suggested we ask Dean Warley Godwin to enchant your instrument while he was staying at our mansion,” Scarlett said, observing Rosa’s reaction. “Obviously, the notion of having one of the most powerful mages in the empire attend to such a trivial task was ludicrous. I am also certain that whatever enchantment you would have requested would have been pointless, at best. However, that conversation did prompt me to consider if there might be more practical alternatives.”

She gestured towards the klert on the table. “That is why I had this commissioned for you. It was before we left for Bridgespell, and thus technically separate from the other commissions, but through my connections, I found an eminent craftsman and a capable mage for the task. The body was fashioned by Sir Elowen Dalton, if you know of him, with the enchantment later added by a Master Docent Harding of Bridgespell Tower, upon Miss Mendenhall’s recommendation.”

Rosa remained silent, her gaze intently fixed on the instrument.

Scarlett observed her closely, her brows creasing slightly. Did Rosa perhaps not like it and was considering how to bring that up? Maybe the woman felt a sentimental attachment to her old klert? But this enchanted one would objectively be superior during their excursions. Rosa could always keep the old klert for other occasions if she wished to.

“Is there something wrong with it?” Scarlett eventually asked, breaking the silence that had stretched for nearly thirty seconds.

Hopefully Rosa wasn’t disappointed with the quality. Scarlett would have preferred getting an Epic-tier instrument for the bard, but that hadn’t been an option due to resource and time constraints. Creating a klert from scratch was a slow process, and unlike the other workshops Scarlett had commissioned the rest of the equipment from, Sir Elowen had informed her that he couldn’t custom-make a klert for Rosa in under a month.

This klert had been the makeshift solution, repurposed from existing materials he had lying around. Scarlett supposed it was impressive that he managed to get it done and enchanted by a mage in the time that he did have. It was apparently the first time Sir Elowen actually created an item to be enchanted.

The enchantments themselves were somewhat limited due to the lower quality of the item itself, but this was still better than nothing.

Finally, Rosa’s response came as the woman turned to look at Scarlett with both eyebrows raised. “What, you think this face of mine is one of disappointment?”

Scarlett’s concerns eased slightly, though she didn’t show any of it on her expression. “It is challenging to discern such things with you.”

The bard chuckled, briefly looking down at the klert in her lap, running her fingers over its surface, before returning her gaze to the new one on the table. “Mind if I give it a whirl?” she asked.

“It is yours,” Scarlett replied. “You hardly need my permission to use it.”

With a smile, Rosa set aside her old klert and picked up the new instrument, inspecting it from various angles. She then placed it on her lap, testing the keys and strings, adjusting the tuning pegs at the top, and performing other small checks unfamiliar to Scarlett.

After her adjustments, Rosa seemed content and cranked the handle at the bottom. A fleecy, melodic tune filled the room, its sound rich and seeming to infuse the very air with vigour. She began to sing in a low, folksy voice.

And oh she lived, that she did~
She bilked, she duped,
and she kept her way~
Tilde, never once did she keep her say~
She was a scamp, a cheat,
but she kept you astray~

Scarlett recognized the song, both from the game and their first encounter.

When the bard finished, she looked back at Scarlett with a steady gaze. “This might be the best gift I’ve ever gotten. In my whole life. Period.”

“…Surely you are exaggerating.”

“No.”

Scarlett studied her, a moment of uncertainty passing as she wondered how she was even expected to respond to that, then she shifted her focus back to the [Bag of Juham]. “If that is the case, then I am curious to hear your thoughts on these next articles.” She pulled out two more items from the bag.

[Harmony’s Veil (Epic)]
{A symbol of the harmony that a minstrel’s songs can bring, this veil’s purpose of protecting its wearer and spreading its melody far and wide will sing true}

The first was a flowing purple mantle, its fabric almost seeming to dance and flicker in the ambient light. It was made from a mixture of the ashenwraith dragon’s hide and a particular kind of silk called amethystine silk, which Scarlett and the others had collected on one of their dungeon runs.

Though primarily a mantle, it was large enough to fold over the front and shield the entire body if necessary. A small spatial enchantment had also been woven into it, allowing Rosa to stow away her klert inside whenever she wanted. That particular feature had been expensive due to the rarity of most spatial enchantments and the materials, but the convenience it offered was undeniable.

Following the mantle, Scarlett revealed a pair of leather boots.

[Harmony’s Echostriders (Rare)]
{Made from the finest silver silk, the luminescent threads within these boots sing the song of travels, aiding its wearer in their journeys}

Rosa stared at the two items as Scarlett laid them out.

“What, I’m really getting these two as well?” she asked.

“You are, yes.”

Balancing her new klert on her lap, Rosa leaned forward to inspect the mantle and the boots more closely. “If I didn’t know any better, I would have thought you were trying to win my heart with all these extravagances. If only I hadn’t been there during that Tuesday store-run of yours to witness the casualness with which you spent enough solars to buy a castle. Nothing’s scarier than seeing nobles throw around money like it grows on trees.”

Choosing to ignore Rosa’s jest about her spending habits, Scarlett placed the [Bag of Juham] on the floor. “This is hardly the first instance of my ensuring you are supplied with valuable equipment. You are a key member of my party, and thus, investing in your capabilities is only logical. Building up one’s available assets is a natural course of action.”

“Now that’s the quintessential Scarlett response,” Rosa said with a hint of amusement.

“It is the truth.”

“Yeah, yeah.” The bard waved a hand dismissively as she continued to explore the mantle and boots. “The klert I think I can figure out on my own, but what about these? What do they do?”

“The mantle and boots both carry basic enchantments for increased durability. The mantle also offers additional protection through a warding enchantment and includes a small dimensional fold for storing your klert. As for the boots, they are meant to improve your stamina and agility, and should theoretically enhance your charms as well.”

Rosa whistled appreciatively. “Now that is fancy. With everything else you’ve given me, I’m starting to feel like a treasure trove on legs. Any day now I half expect a dragon to come swooping in and claim me as the crown jewel of its hoard. A mere ‘thanks’ feels lacking for all this.”

“As I have already stated, you are a valuable asset to me. There is no need for thanks when my actions are solely for my own benefit.”

“And the klert? Was that also purely for your benefit, then?” Rosa asked, lightly tapping the instrument.

Scarlett’s eyes moved to rest on it for a moment before she nodded. “Primarily, yes.”

Rosa flashed a knowing smile, but didn’t say anything. A brief silence ensued, where the bard continued looking over her new possessions with smug curiosity.

Eventually, Scarlett spoke once more. “With that dealt with, perhaps it is time for us to have a talk. We have not had much time or opportunity for a proper conversation since you left for Crowcairn.”

“Yeah, I suppose you’re right,” Rosa answered with a casual air, her attention caught by the spatial pouch inside the mantle. She placed her klert inside, then pulled it out, repeating the action several times. “Where do you want to start?”

Scarlett regarded her. “…How about we begin with how you are?”

The woman paused, a flicker of surprise crossing her features before she regained her composure and met Scarlett’s gaze. “Are you sure that’s where you want to start?”

“Yes.”

“Are you sure, sure?”

“I would not have asked if I were not.”

“Well, I was kinda expecting the first thing you’d do once we got back here was give me a piece of your mind, considering everything. Was afraid they’d need Fynn to sniff out what’s left of my body from the city’s alleys afterward,” Rosa half-joked.

“…I would not have had you killed, regardless of what you may have done to anger me.”

“Really?” The woman wiped an imaginary sweat drop from her brow. “Whew, that’s a weight off my shoulders.”

“Let me ask again,” Scarlett pressed. “How are you, Rosa?”

The bard squinted her eyes at her. “You’re really sure that’s where you want to start?”

A hint of impatience entered Scarlett’s voice. “Do not start this again.”

“Sorry, sorry,” Rosa conceded with a light grin, then leaned back in her chair, looking across the room. “To actually answer your question, I’m fine. Much thanks to you, really.”

Scarlett arched a brow. “You are reverting to old habits, asserting that you are fine while wearing a smile that you have every right to forgo.”

Rosa’s smile cracked, then gradually vanished. “…Guess you’re right on that one as well.”

“I have been informed that I tend to be correct about a great deal of things,” Scarlett said.

“And humble too…” Rosa muttered under her breath, then sighed and fiddled with her new klert. “…You know, I used to go by this old adage. Not sure where I picked it up, but it always stuck with me. ‘Don’t tell your friends about your indigestion. “How are you” is a greeting, not a question’.”

“That is a rather bleak outlook on relationships.”

“Not arguing with you on that, but it’s true, isn’t it?”

“In some cases, perhaps. But I have never asked you that question without genuine intentions.”

“I’ll be honest, I think that makes you weirder than it does me.” Rosa shook her head, a slight hint of amusement showing on her face, though it soon faded. “…But I’m not lying to you this time. I really am fine. Mostly. Better than I have any right to be, at least. Better than I’ve been for years. That part isn’t a lie.”

“Yet you can still hear Anguish,” Scarlett pointed out.

“There is that,” the woman admitted. “Turns out she’s a pretty sore loser. I’ve spent the last day listening to her attempt about a hundred schemes to convince me to set her free and embrace the old mass-homicide routine. I’ve also considered shutting her up a dozen times, but there’s something comforting in hearing the thing that ruined your entire life desperately beg and plead for your attention, you know?” She pouted slightly. “Or, well, I say ‘desperately’, but it’s mostly just a bunch of her laughing at my supposed naivety, but I take what I can get. Don’t know what that says about me, but at this point, do I really care?”

A frown appeared on Scarlett’s brow. It was somewhat worrying that Anguish was still up to that kind of stuff, yet, at the same time… She had to admit that she also found some grim satisfaction in imagining the demon’s futile attempts to sway Rosa, all the while Anguish was incapable of doing anything to stop the chaos that was no doubt currently spreading in her domain.

“She’s also told me all kinds of stories about you that would make Drakon the Despoiler sound virtuous,” Rosa added, “but it’s pretty clear most of it’s made up.”

Scarlett paused, looking at the woman.

The thought had crossed her mind that Anguish might tell Rosa things that Scarlett didn’t necessarily want her to know.

The bard met her gaze, her clear violet eyes searching.

“Most of it,” Rosa continued, “but I wager even a demon like her might have sprinkled some truth in there, even if by accident.”

Scarlett remained silent at first, considering her words, before finally responding. “It should perhaps not come as a surprise that I have indeed been harboring many secrets from you, although I hope you understand that I had good reason to do so. I cannot address allegations I am unaware of, so if I may ask… What exactly has she been saying?”

Rosa hesitated. “…First, I want to ask…” She glanced down at the area above her chest, where the [Astralbane’s Nexus Heartstone] lay concealed beneath the fabric of her blouse. “You knew about Anguish’s presence inside me from the start, didn’t you? Even before we officially met?”

“I did.” Scarlett had no reason to deny it at this point.

“So when you claimed you knew me when we first met in that inn, it wasn’t that you had heard of me as a bard, but that you were aware of my whole ‘incarnate’ situation, even though I didn’t even know about it myself?”

“…Yes.”

A mix of emotions played across Rosa’s face as she looked at Scarlett. “Is it also true that you struck a deal with Anguish, agreeing to steer clear of each other’s affairs?”

“Yes,” Scarlett answered, “However—”

“I know,” Rosa interrupted, holding up a hand. “It’s not like I’m accusing you. It’s just that I finally have an explanation for why the visions stopped around you. Besides.” She offered a small smile and rapped her fist against her chest, producing a faint, crystalline sound. “You clearly found ways around that pact of yours.”

Her smile then faded into a more somber expression, and she moved her gaze, letting it drift around the room. “…’Course, then we had the other things Anguish shared. Truth or lies, they led me to some realizations about our relationship that I’d been blind to. About how some of my assumptions were wrong. Looking back, it’s clear that I was always dancing along to your tune far more than I ever suspected.”

“Rosa, allow me to—”

“I’m still not blaming you, you know?” the woman cut in. “I’m the last person who has any right to do that, after everything you’ve done for me. It’s just that, realizing that there was so much that I missed in our interactions, so much context and meaning that I was completely oblivious to each time I talked with someone I thought I knew… It feels weird, you know? Disheartening, almost. Makes me wonder if I was the only one taking all those times seriously. At face value.”

Scarlett took a moment before replying. “There was never an instance where I did not take you seriously.”

“Yeah?” The corner of Rosa’s lips lifted as she shot her a wry look. “You willing to stand by that claim?”

“Discounting all of the times that you were being a Rosa,” Scarlett corrected herself.

“It’s encouraging I’ve made enough of an imprint for my name to have become a noun,” the bard laughed, then her gaze shifted away again. “…Anguish’s been trying to make out as this master manipulator and schemer, even around me, but I never fully bought into that. She seems to think she’s got you pegged, but honestly, I don’t think she has any idea what you’re truly like. Even if you had been manipulating me like she said, even if I had been nothing but a pawn in your games and everything had been a lie, I think I would have been fine with it. Though, once again, that probably speaks more about how much of a mess I am than you.”

“I do not believe you are a mess, Rosa,” Scarlett said.

A humorless laugh escaped Rosa. “That’s mighty kind of you, Red, but this is one time where you’re definitely wrong. I’d wager a dragon’s bottom that you can’t find another pulchritudinous lass in the empire that’s as selfish and contradictory as this one.”

“…You expressed a similar sentiment in Crowcairn, but I struggle to understand the reasoning behind you labeling yourself as selfish. I have seen too many instances where you have prioritised the well-being of others above your own, to the point where it has been exasperating.”

There were several occasions when Scarlett had wished the woman wasn’t as softhearted as she was.

Rosa shook her head. “If you knew anything about my past, you wouldn’t be saying that.”

“I do know your past,” Scarlett interjected.

The bard froze.

“My awareness of you from before we met was not limited to your identity as an incarnate, Rosa. While I do not claim to know everything, I am familiar with many of your struggles.”

Slowly, Rosa turned back to face Scarlett, eyeing her. “…Then you should know that people have died because of me in the past. Because of this thing inside me. Because I didn’t have enough sense to just head into the forest and live alone with my demons. Because I…I couldn’t even envision a life where I was entirely isolated.” Her voice carried a heavy sincerity. “I have been nothing but selfish for most of my life, Scarlett. That’s a fact.”

Scarlett observed her in silence. “…I am aware. Yet, it is also a fact that I have seen your compassion numerous times — caring for and healing children who cross your path, assisting strangers who have nothing to offer you, and trying to protect us despite your own pain. You even chose to risk your own life for a village belonging to the Tribe of Sin.”

“Doesn’t that highlight my problems, if anything?” Rosa asked. “Anyone can help out a kid or two if it doesn’t cost them much, but that doesn’t speak to whether they’re genuinely good. You’d think that someone with an actual sense of decency wouldn’t hesitate to distance themselves from their friends if it meant saving them from herself. Yet I did hesitate. So many times. And this was before I knew you could help me. What I should have done back then was leave after the first time I got paid, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it.”

The woman let out another laugh, this one bitter and tinged with self-derisiveness as her gaze dropped to the mantle and boots on the table.

“Besides…” Rosa halted before continuing. “Weren’t you the one saying my aid in Crowcairn was misguided? I never disagreed with that. Like I’ve already told you, my actions weren’t borne out of some saintly compassion or me being unable to see people die in front of me. People have already died around me. Because of me, even. The truth is that I just… I wasn’t sure I could live with myself if all my actions—the culmination of everything stupid and cowardly I’d done in my life—meant me getting away scot-free while an entire village of unrelated families died. Even if they belonged to the Tribe.”

She shook her head. “Or maybe it was the opposite… Maybe I did think I could live with myself after that. I’ve never wanted to be that kind of person, but in a way, I probably always have been.”

“…I was not aware you felt so conflicted on the matter,” Scarlett said after a moment.

This was somewhat different from how any of the storylines Scarlett had encountered in the game with Rosa. Surprisingly, Scarlett found herself actually sympathising with some of the woman’s sentiments.

“Some of these thoughts were new to me as well.” Rosa gave a weak shrug. She touched the Heartstone embedded in her chest. “But when you put this thing in me… When, for once, I gained full control—if only for a moment—over both myself and the demon that’s plagued me for so long, it was the first time I actually felt that I had the chance to change. Or to try to, at least. And so I took that opportunity. I took it, even if it meant betraying your expectations and potentially risking half the continent by inviting a megalomaniac demon intent on laying waste to all of civilization into my body. Sure, I felt fairly certain I could have stopped Anguish at any moment by simply stopping myself, but it was still a risk no sane person would take. So how does that possibly render me deserving of being called ‘kind’?”

The bard met Scarlett’s gaze, letting the silence stretch between them for a few tense moments. The heavy air gradually lifted as though Rosa seemed to realize herself, shifting in her seat and returning to fiddling with the klert in her lap.

“…Then do you regret it?” Scarlett asked after some time.

“No,” came Rosa’s reply, without a trace of doubt. “Not even for a second. Even if I’d lost my life at the end of it all, I would have made the same choice again. Even knowing it would have made you waste all that effort you put into helping me. Like I said, I’m selfish like that.”

Scarlett watched the woman, her gaze thoughtful as she listened to the faint notes produced by the klert’s strings. “…I am beginning to think that we are more alike than I had previously thought. However, there also remain many respects in which we are distinctly different.”

Rosa looked up from her instrument, a hint of confusion in her eyes. “You’re not gonna pull the ‘noble’ card on me, are you?”

“I am not,” Scarlett said. “But I will say that, between the two of us, I am unequivocally the more selfish one. Do not forget that I was the one who orchestrated the events that transpired at the citadel and with Anguish, including the circumstances that ultimately led to Malachi exposing the Tribe’s enclave in Crowcairn to Duke Valentino’s men. You may question your own goodness, Rosa, but at the very least, it is clear that you harbor a desire to be good. That is more than many others can say.”

Rosa’s expression hardened slightly. “Maybe, but you can’t deny the hypocrisy of me asking for that much understanding at this point.”

“And what does it matter if it is hypocritical?” Scarlett asked. “Who is there to pass judgement but yourself? I refuse to condemn you for your past, and the only judgement that should truly influence your actions is your own. You see yourself as a mess, but I assure you, my own failings are much more substantial, and there is no reality where I am not a hypocrite. Yet I refuse to let this govern who I am.”

“Ehm, we’re not talking about who’s got the best social skills here, Red.” Rosa gave her a puzzled look.

Scarlett returned her a pointed glare. “That is not what I meant.”

She paused briefly, steeling herself.

“I will only be saying this once, so do not expect me to reiterate this ever again; however, I am aware that I can have a problematic personality. I am, as already stated, hypocritical, overbearing, conceited, callous, vain, petty, prone to irrational anger, and I struggle with maintaining even the simplest of healthy relationships with those around. I have numerous quirks and prejudices that likely skew my perception and judgement on matters far more than I realize. It was only a few months ago that I could not even hold a proper conversation with my sister without entertaining at least one thought related to strangling her with my own hands. And even now, as we discuss matters of importance which deserve my full attention, a part of me is still indulging in the thought of seeing Anguish pleading for mercy simply because you described her as desperate.”

Scarlett had to stop as she grimaced, both annoyed and proud of herself for managing to say all of that. Discussing some of her less favorable traits was never a pleasant experience, but sometimes it was necessary.

With a faint scowl lingering on her brow, she refocused on Rosa. “Despite my best efforts, I still struggle to empathise with the plights and feelings of others to a degree that, in most cultures, would undoubtedly be considered abnormal. In our visits to Freymeadow, your distress at repeatedly witnessing the village and its residents’ fate remains palpable, while I, unfortunately, remain more concerned with the odors and maintaining the cleanliness of my appearance.”

Holding Rosa’s gaze, she continued as earnestly as she could. “If we are discussing kindness, Rosa, then know that you would be deemed a saint in comparison to the company to keep. You may worry that your secrets could change how I perceive you, but know that there are far more truths that I keep from you, many of which would cast me as nothing but a ruthless villainess in the eyes of most. You can, at the very least, find solace in that you are aware of your faults and can work to correct them where possible.”

Rosa blinked, eyes wide as she stared at her like she was some mythological beast. “…Ehm…it certainly sounds like you’re pretty familiar with your own faults as well.”

“It may seem that way, yes, but in reality, I question my own character on a daily basis. There have been many instances where I have doubted whether it is even possible for me to change. Much can be concealed beneath a guise of conceitedness and indifference.”

Rosa continued staring at her for a while longer, before suddenly bursting into laughter. Soon, she was doubled over, gasping for breath, while Scarlett watched with a scowl.

“That was not intended to amuse you,” Scarlett said flatly.

Rosa, still laughing, raised a hand as if asking her to wait. “Never thought it was,” she spoke between breaths. “It’s just that…this whole conversation is absurd!”

“And what, exactly, do you mean by that?”

It took a while for Rosa to compose herself, breaking into renewed laughter more than once as Scarlett waited with slight annoyance, but eventually she looked back at Scarlett with teary eyes.

“Sorry about that,” the woman said, wiping her eyes. “It’s just…how did we get to the point where you of all people were trying to console me by explaining how much more of a mess you are? And making a case for hypocrisy? Really? I can tell you’re a real aficionado at this whole ‘comforting’ business.”

Scarlett was about to give a rather sharp response, but then she stopped, her brows knitting together.

Actually, why had she veered off into this line of conversation? It was far from her original intention. “…As always, you prove to be a poor influence on me, Miss Hale.”

The amused and quizzical expression on Rosa’s face disappeared. “Hey, hang on a second. Did I just get demoted from ‘Rosa’ to ‘Miss Hale’ simply because I laughed at you?”

“You have always been ‘Miss Hale’ to me,” Scarlett replied with just a bit of ice in her voice. “Occasionally, I have slips in judgement that lead me to temporarily forget this, that is all. Fortunately, you never fail to do something to remind me, Miss Hale.”

Rosa frowned. “This is unfair.”

“Fairness is irrelevant here.”

“It’s an abuse of authority.”

“Not in the least. And even should it be, I believe I have already made it abundantly clear that I do not care.”

“You really are a villainess.”

“Yes.”

The two of them exchanged looks, then a wide smile appeared on Rosa’s face. Even Scarlett allowed the corner of her mouth to rise ever-so-slightly.

“You’re going to lay all the responsibility for sidetracking this serious talk of ours on me, aren’t you?” the bard said.

“That was not my original intent,” Scarlett replied. “However, now that you mention it, the idea does carry a certain appeal.”

“Suppose I’ve earned that much.” Rosa relaxed in her seat, gaze wandering up to inspect the ceiling. “…I’m not really sure what to make of all this, though. Does this mean you forgive me for my less-than-wise actions?”

Scarlett’s eyes remained on her for a moment longer before shifting away. “Are you referring to how you sabotaged my plans in the citadel?”

“Yeah, that.”

“In part, I already forgave you back in Crowcairn.”

“Buuuut…” Rosa’s voice drew out the word.

“But I am also a very petty person,” Scarlett said.

“Yeah, figured as much.”

Scarlett's attention drifted to one of the paintings in the room as her thoughts strayed slightly, and a mellow melody echoed out from her left.

“So.” Rosa broke the quiet as her soft tune filled the room. “Was it just me, or did you admit to having thoughts about murdering your sister earlier? Among a bunch of other things.”

A frown crept back onto Scarlett’s face. “…I did, yes.”

“That is pretty messed up.”

“I am aware.”

“…Want to talk about it?”

“No.”

“Alright.”

There was another bout of silence, filled only by the melody of Rosa’s music. After a time, Scarlett faced Rosa once more.

“And what of you?” she asked. “I do not expect you to become a new person in a day, but with the Anguish situation largely addressed for now, do you believe yourself capable of being more honest with me moving forward?”

“Don’t know,” Rosa replied. “Probably. Think I would live to regret it if I didn’t.”

“That is a fair assumption.”

“Then there you have it. Does that mean I can also expect you to be more open with me?”

At that, Scarlett didn’t immediately respond.

“…Yeah, almost figured as much,” Rosa said.

Scarlett studied the woman’s expression as she played away on her klert, showing neither disappointment nor joy on her face.

Perhaps she could offer a compromise.

“…I will endeavour to be more forthcoming where possible. That is the best I can commit to at present. I hope it will suffice.”

The bard shrugged, smoothly cranking the wheel of her instrument. “I don’t think I can ask for more. After all, you’re the reason I’m out of the shadows, free to not look into every dark corner afraid that something’ll stare right back at me. Have I mentioned how nice that is, by the way? I don’t think I have. There’s not really a word to describe how great that is. I suppose ‘sublime’ is as close as it gets.” A small smile did find its way onto her face at that. “Dealing with the occasional inner demon failing to convince me into doing an unspeakable thing or two and being kept out of the loop on whatever gods-defying secrets my boss has got tucked away in her closet doesn’t seem like such a bad deal in return.”

Scarlett wondered whether the woman was being entirely honest there.

Technically, Scarlett could probably share more with Rosa, but did she want that? Was there any point in doing so? Sure, she could reveal only certain things — maybe let her in on some of the dealings she had across the empire with figures like Beldon Tyndall, Warley Godwin, and perhaps even the Cabal.

However, sharing that would inevitably lead to more questions from Rosa, questions that Scarlett didn’t feel ready to answer. Questions like where she actually got her information from, or even questions surrounding her real identity.

Telling Arlene was one thing, but Rosa as well…?

Did her reluctance to do so mean that she trusted Rosa less than Arlene? That shouldn’t be true. But then, where did her hesitance come from?

Scarlett shook her head. That didn’t matter. Those thoughts could be left for another time. She would tell Rosa more eventually, but everything would have its time. For now, she needed to shift this conversation back to one of the main concerns she’d wanted to address since departing Crowcairn.

“Rosa,” she said, bringing the bard’s attention back to her. “Would it be possible for me to speak with Anguish?”

17