Chapter 218 – Home once more
292 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scarlett and her group’s final days in Bridgespell quickly came and went. They were comfortable enough in the Golden Griffin Inn’s lodgings, so Scarlett ended up politely declining Duke Valentino’s offer to his estate. She had, however, taken him up on his proposal to meet up again, discussing the recent events around Crowcairn and other matters concerning the nobility. She’d even had dinner with the duke and his wife.

While not exactly enjoyable encounters, Scarlett had to acknowledge their value, if only for the potential worth of having a connection with the Duke of Bridgespell. Even if the man himself didn’t seem overly fond of her specifically.

Before their departure to Freybrook, Scarlett had considered exploring additional nearby dungeons, but ultimately decided against it. Her team had already checked out the most accessible ones, and they deserved some real rest after everything that had happened.

She had expected Raimond to visit at some point and provide updates on how things were going on the Followers’ end, but that hadn’t happened. Presumably, he was too preoccupied with his responsibilities to find the time, which was understandable. From what Scarlett had heard from the duke, the investigation into the citadel was still underway, and no official statement had been released to the empire at large beyond some vague assurances.

On their last morning in Bridgespell, Scarlett and the others quickly finished their preparations and left the inn early, boarding their carriage bound for the city’s Kilnstone.

When they arrived in Freybrook, the morning sun had just started casting its golden glow over the city. In stark contrast to the swarming chaos of activity that was Bridgespell most of the time, Freybrook’s streets were much quieter, lending a peaceful atmosphere as their carriage moved through the city. To Scarlett’s surprise, a thin layer of snow had fallen upon the city while they were away, adding a foreign touch to the otherwise familiar scene.

Rosa, peering out the carriage window at the wintry tableau and the people walking about on the streets, sighed dramatically. “Ah, good ol’ Freybrook. It’s been ages, but it’s still as thrillingly dull as ever. I love it.”

“It’s only been two weeks,” Fynn said, a subtle frown on his face.

“Exactly.” Rosa nodded sagely. “Ages.

Allyssa’s lips parted in a light laugh as she shook her head, the girl’s gaze also fixed outside. “I agree that it certainly feels like more than two weeks have passed. So much happened. I’m still having trouble processing it all.”

“That might have more to do with your poor perception of time,” Shin remarked beside her, though his comment was promptly ignored by its intended target.

“So, boss.” Rosa turned her attention to Scarlett. “What’s next for us? What devious schemes that’ll rattle our minds and blow away our common sense can we expect?”

Scarlett spared a brief glance at the bard before shifting her attention out the window. “It will depend,” she answered.

The looming threat of the Hallowed Cabal’s assault against the empire was still on the horizon. At this point, it was probably only a few weeks away. She needed to continue preparing for that while also dealing with other matters.

“For the time being, our activities will mostly be centered around the mansion,” she continued. “Although we may venture out to other cities on occasion, those trips will likely be short. This will give everyone ample opportunity to pursue whatever personal endeavours you may wish. Miss Astrey, I assume you will be using this time to deepen your alchemical studies.”

It wouldn’t surprise her if Shin helped with that. Fynn, meanwhile, would likely continue communing with his ancestors, seeking further insights so he could reach the next level of The Howling Gale’s Haunt. Rosa, on the other hand, would need to become more attuned to the Heartstone and its capabilities.

As for Scarlett, her focus would be on refining her own magic, among other things.

The group’s conversation shifted to lighter topics as the carriage continued through Freybrook, drawing nearer to the Hartford mansion in the city’s northern district. The closer they got to the estate itself, the more prominent a certain awareness at the back of Scarlett’s mind grew, as if making its existence known.

The [Obedience’s Solitude Loci] recognized her return.

Scarlett couldn’t tell for sure, but she felt like its presence had grown a bit more pronounced during her absence.

As they approached the gates, passing through the boundary of the Loci’s domain which stretched just beyond the estate’s walls, she only grew more convinced of this.

She would have to visit it in order to assess its progress later.

The two guardsmen stationed at the entrance were bundled in thick gambesons to ward against the cold, greeting them with brisk salutes before opening the gates. As the carriage rolled in, Scarlett caught snippets of conversation between the coachman and the guards, the carriage’s wheels crunching over the snow-laden path toward the mansion.

After the vehicle had come to a stop and Scarlett’s party had disembarked, she spotted Garside and three other servants emerging from the mansion, moving across the courtyard to welcome them.

“My Lady,” Garside greeted her, the old butler’s mustache twitching slightly as he spoke. He and the other servants bowed and curtsied. “Welcome back to Freybrook. It warms me greatly to see you and your companions in good health.”

“Thank you, Garside,” Scarlett responded, giving him a thoughtful look. “Did anything unusual occur while I was away?”

“Not anything that demands your immediate attention, my Lady. A report detailing the minor details awaits on your desk for you to peruse at your leisure.”

“Good.” Scarlett gave a nod of approval. It would have been just her luck if the whole place had burned down while she was gone. “Is there anything else I should be aware of?”

Garside seemed to hesitate for a moment, his brows furrowing as his weathered features formed a contemplative expression. “Not within Freybrook, no. But there has been talk among the staff about the happenings in Bridgespell, and there were those who expressed their concerns for yours and the others’ safety while you were there, my Lady. Lady Evelyne, in particular, was anxious upon receiving the news. Especially when she learned that you were in talks with Duke Valentino.”

Scarlett could understand Evelyne’s worry. She didn’t exactly have the best track record when it came to interacting with high nobles. With Count Knottley, Marquis Delmon, Duke Tyndall, and now possibly Duke Valentino joining the list of powerful people she had annoyed in some way, it seemed she had a knack for getting on those types of people’s nerves.

Well, at least her relations with Count Knottley and Duke Valentino could technically be considered cordial.

“The concern is noted, but unnecessary,” she told Garside. “While the events in Bridgespell are troubling in their implications, I am more than capable of handling myself. Furthermore, my reception at the duke’s estate was that of an honored, hardly a cause for alarm. Now, where is Evelyne currently?”

“Lady Evelyne is dealing with business in the city and will not return until evening.”

Then it seemed as if Scarlett would have to wait to catch up with the younger woman. There was a fair amount to cover. She was still a bit uncertain about exactly how much she should share, considering that oversharing about what happened in Bridgespell was almost guaranteed to burden Evelyne with unnecessary worries and anxieties.

As they crossed the courtyard—which had been thoroughly cleaned after the dragon incident—Garside briefed Scarlett on some of the news about what was going on in the region until they entered the mansion.

From there, Scarlett dismissed her party, suggesting they enjoy the remainder of the day as they pleased. Lingering in the foyer for a while longer, she continued her conversation with Garside, informing him of some of the things they’d been up to in Bridgespell which she had left out of her letters. She omitted all the details surrounding the Anguish ordeal, though.

Garside also shared news of his discussions with a mason about reconstructing the back garden, where the Loci resided. The mason had apparently already drawn up several proposals and was now only waiting for Scarlett’s approval before starting any of the work.

She would need to schedule a meeting with the mason when she had the time. He must have been rather shocked when he first saw that the hedge garden was still blooming in the middle of December.

Wrapping up her conversation with Garside, Scarlett made her way to the east wing. Ascending the stairs to the second floor, where her office was located, she couldn’t shake a strange sense of nostalgia while walking through the carpeted halls. Returning home after a long trip always felt oddly strange, no matter the time or place.

Arriving at her office, she paused for a moment to study the aged mahogany door leading inside.

Only now did she realize that she had started thinking of this place as home.

While the Scarlett part of her had probably always considered it as such, mentally, this place had only functioned as her temporary residence. Her base of operations as she acclimated to this world — a pragmatic necessity rather than a genuine home.

So when did the shift in perception happen for the other part of her as well?

She wasn’t sure. It didn’t seem like a sudden transition, at least. She had been in this world for almost half a year now, and a lot of things had changed during that time. Beyond the sudden forced transformation of her personality when she first arrived here, most of her adjustments had been gradual.

Still, it was a curious realization to make only now, after all this time.

It made her wonder what her broader sentiments about being here, in this world, truly were.

Reaching out to turn the door handle, she stepped into the office. The room was exactly as she had left it, with two bookshelves adorning each wall and the commanding painting of an ancient battlefield sitting behind her desk.

Scarlett’s eyes briefly rested on the artwork before she moved to her desk, settling into the comfortable seat before it. Her gaze turned to the documents stacked in the desk’s corner, prepared by Evelyne for Scarlett to review upon her return. The younger woman was always diligent in her work to manage the barony and support Scarlett’s current endeavours.

That was funny, given the nature of their relationship. While their interactions had evolved beyond the point of constantly arguing and snapping at each other whenever they were in the same room, their dynamic remained a far distance away from the typical ‘sibling’ bond.

She wondered what the original Scarlett might have thought if she witnessed the current state of her life. Despite sharing many traits and emotions with the original, she still found the woman herself to be a bit of a riddle.

A riddle she wasn’t sure she would ever completely solve.

Pushing those thoughts aside for now, she reached for the first set of papers Evelyne had organized, intending to quickly go through them before dealing with other matters. Her hand stopped only a moment later, however, as her eyes met a pair of brilliant amethyst orbs, staring at her inquisitively.

“…Greetings, Empress,” Scarlett voiced after a pause.

The black-furred cat that had suddenly appeared on the desk—or had she always been there?—responded with a subtle nod, as if deigning to accept the greeting. Empress then shifted her attention away from Scarlett, leisurely licking her paw.

Scarlett quietly observed the cat for several seconds.

Was this just another of Empress’ impromptu visits, or did it carry a specific purpose?

“…If I may ask, is there something The Gentleman wants to tell me?” she asked.

Empress glanced up at her, considering her, then turned around. In one graceful movement, the cat leaped down onto the floorboards and strode up towards the door, which opened of its own accord.

Watching Empress pause and glance back, Scarlett understood the implied summons. With a muted sigh, she rose from her seat, accepting that the paperwork would have to wait.

16