Chaper 222 – New advancements
613 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A diverse array of elemental effects unfolded before Scarlett in steady succession as she channeled her mana into her magic, her focus etched deeply into her furrowed brow. Fiery orbs and swirling globes of water sailed through the air, slamming into lifeless trees here and there. Aqua Mines, varying in size, appeared and detonated in mere moments. Arrows and blades of flame cut through half-charred branches, while slender streams of water lifted small rocks with ease.

She spared no effort, demonstrating a level of force and precision that would’ve left her past self in awe just a few months ago. The large clearing in the forest near Freymeadow witnessed the unbridled brunt of her power, with some of the trees at the edge catching fire, only to be quickly extinguished shortly thereafter.

After a while, Scarlett dispelled some of her more intensive magics and directed her attention to a single tree trunk, its bark mostly stripped away. With a thought, several watery tendrils materialized before her, hovering like sinuous serpents.

The air crackled as the tendrils lashed out at the trunk in a fierce, continuous assault, scattering wood chips everywhere. Each hit whittled away at the trunk, steadily deforming its shape.

Soon, she paused to admire her work.

Upgrading her hydrokinesis had evidently made a substantial impact on the skill’s potency.

[Name: Scarlett Hartford]
[Skills:
[Superior Mana Control]
[Superior Pyromancy]
[Major Pyrokinesis]
[Greater Hydromancy]
[Major Hydrokinesis]
[̼̭̬̋̈́̒͜ ̧̘̜́ͣ͛͛ͅ ͚̜̓͜ͅ ̢̰͚̾̏ͅ ̮̿͆̒͠ ̢̾̏ͅ ̢̰̾̏ͅ]]
[Traits:
[Dignified August]
[Supercilious]
[Cavalier]
[Callous]
[Overbearing]
[Conceited]
[Third-rate Mana Veins]]
[Mana:
7314/12136]
[Points:
2]

[Skills Menu:
Upgrades
[Major Pyromancy] (50 points)
[Argent Pyrokinesis] (100 points) (LOCKED)
[Superior Hydromancy] (25 points)
[Argent Hydrokinesis] (100 points) (LOCKED)
[Major Mana Control] (50 points)
New skills
[LOCKED]]

Ultimately, the skills she had chosen to upgrade with her accumulated skill points were her hydrokinesis, mana control, and pyromancy, totaling 100 skill points. The difference was definitely noticeable.

[Superior Mana Control] made it even easier for her to precisely shape her magic, while [Superior Pyromancy] reduced the mana consumption of her fire-based abilities by a decent amount. Although she considered them as support skills in a way, they were still worthwhile upgrading.

As for the advancement from [Superior Hydrokinesis] to [Major Hydrokinesis], it mirrored the surge that going from [Superior Pyrokinesis] to [Major Pyrokinesis] had given her. Comparing the Superior versions of the skills to the Major versions was like comparing night and day. Coupled with her other upgrades, it filled her with a thrilling sense of pure progress, even if it was something given by the system.

Dismissing the water whips she’d created, Scarlett eyed what remained of the tree trunk after her magical onslaught.

Before the upgrades, if the trunk was a person, they wouldn’t have sustained more than a few bruises. Now, there might not even have been much left of them.

That said, hydrokinesis was more challenging to learn than pyrokinesis for her. She had a long way to go before achieving any semblance of mastery. The effectiveness of her ‘water whips’ only proved the raw power of her [Major Hydrokinesis], but she could tell it was a pretty inefficient use of her mana to brute force it like that.

Still, this was miles better than before.

“That’s enough for now,” Arlene’s voice came from behind her, prompting Scarlett to turn and look at the woman standing there with folded arms. “I’ve got a sense of your current level. There are some areas of concern, but you have improved considerably since yesterday. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought you were hiding your skills before.”

Scarlett regarded the woman silently. She was pretty sure Arlene had anticipated her ‘sudden’ improvement. After all, the woman was the one who asked Scarlett to demonstrate her abilities before starting today’s session, as if she hadn’t seen them just a day prior from her perspective.

“Much happened while I was in Bridgespell,” Scarlett explained, leaning on an excuse that had worked with Arlene in the past. “You could say I experienced an enlightenment of sorts.”

“A very convenient and profound enlightenment, it would seem.”

“That is how it often tends to be with me.”

Arlene considered her for a moment, then gestured to Scarlett’s hands. “What happened with that divine relic of yours?”

A slight shadow crossed Scarlett’s features. “…I lost it.”

Arlene raised an eyebrow. “You lost it? In one day?”

“Indeed. I would go into more detail, but the circumstances were rather convoluted,” Scarlett said. “Suffice to say that we are unlikely to see it ever again.”

Losing [Ittar’s Genesis] was regrettable. The artifact had proven invaluable for someone with her mana constraints. She would have preferred to keep it, but what she received in return from Malachi was arguably worthwhile. Not to mention that she didn’t have to be as concerned about the Followers finding out about her involvement in the Sanctuary heist anymore.

There was a pregnant pause where Arlene studied her, leaving Scarlett to ponder her thoughts. Other than the moment of candidness between them when Scarlett had revealed the truth of her past and her place in this world, deciphering Arlene’s intentions was always a bit tricky. Despite being inside an infinitely repeating loop, she clearly wasn’t completely clueless about her own circumstances.

Eventually, the woman nodded, seemingly choosing not to delve further into Scarlett’s explanation. She reached into her own robes, retrieving the [Eternal Flameweaver’s Athame]. The divine-tier dagger glowed an intense red, its lava-like blade pulsating with an almost palpable power. Holding it by its blade without issue, she stepped closer to Scarlett, offering the artifact. “Take this.”

Scarlett eyed the dagger, then looked up at Arlene. “Are you giving it to me?”

That did not happen in the game.

A subtle smile played on the woman’s lips. “I am not, no. But since you are currently my pupil, I will lend it to you while you are receiving my teachings. It is no divine fountain of near-endless mana, but it should prove a valuable assistance to you nonetheless.”

Scarlett hesitated only for a moment before accepting the dagger. The dragon-like scales on its hilt felt warm against her skin, almost as if they would brand her hand. Yet the sensation wasn’t unpleasant.

“You won’t be able to directly wield its power,” Arlene added, “but merely having it by your side will enhance your connection to the elemental root of fire. It should help reduce your mana expenditure.”

“…Thank you,” Scarlett replied, examining the artifact. Holding it, she felt a certain kinship, akin to how it felt when she used her pyrokinesis. She supposed that was the connection Arlene referred to.

Securing the dagger at her waist beside her [Pouch of Holding], she refocused her attention on the clearing and raised a hand. A blazing ball of fire surged into existence, easily the size of three grown men and capable of reducing most things to cinders in seconds.

It didn’t feel stronger or easier to sustain than before, but it did drain less mana. Noticeably less so. She maintained it for roughly ten seconds before dismissing it, evaluating the mana cost.

It barely reached the hundreds. A few months back, conjuring an even weaker fire of that size would have depleted upwards of two thousand mana. Now, without the dagger, the cost was maybe a quarter of that, and the dagger seemed to almost cut that down even further by a factor of five.

Scarlett’s gaze settled back on the [Eternal Flameweaver’s Athame] at her side.

This was the effect of just keeping it by her side? Without actually wielding it? Divine-tier artifacts were pretty impressive. While it might not necessarily rival [Ittar’s Genesis] in addressing her mana issues, it marked a very substantial buff for her pyrokinesis.

A wistful desire flickered inside her as her eyes rested on the artifact. It would have been really nice if Arlene actually gave it to her.

But maybe this was the best she could hope for at the moment. Most items removed from Freymeadow simply vanished upon leaving the space, and there was no guarantee the same didn’t apply to this dagger now that it had reverted to its true form.

“Seems like you grasp its benefits well enough,” Arlene remarked beside her. “Now, let’s focus on the actual learning. We’ll be starting with your pyrokinesis, then move on to hydrokinesis. You’re nearly ready for some of the more challenging lessons.”

Following that, Scarlett redirected her focus to her practice, and under Arlene’s guidance, she engaged in several exercises meant to test her skills and control.

She did observe that the sudden increase in intuitive control that [Superior Mana Control] gave her might inadvertently have offset the effectiveness of her previous training efforts, leading to some sharp reprimands from Arlene, but the woman was quick at addressing any shortcomings she noticed.

With the [Eternal Flameweaver’s Athame]’s help, and Arlene periodically recharging the [Depraved Solitude’s Choker] when necessary, Scarlett could go on using her pyrokinesis for a good while. If she only focused on fire, she might even be able to go on for longer than she could while relying on [Ittar’s Genesis].

During a short break, Scarlett decided to express her gratitude. “This dagger is even more remarkable than I expected. Once again, I appreciate your generosity in lending it to me.”

“I might not be the most generous of teachers, but there are some things I can offer,” the woman answered noncommittally.

“I would be even more grateful if you would allow me to use it outside of our sessions.”

Just because Scarlett suspected she couldn’t bring the artifact outside of Freymeadow didn’t mean she didn’t want to test it.

A light chuckle left Arlene. “You’re not quite at the level where you can use it properly yet. It has to accept you as much as you want to claim it.”

Scarlett’s gaze narrowed slightly. Was that true? It had never been mentioned in the game, but that didn’t necessarily mean it was false.

“…I will have to defer to your knowledge, then,” she finally said. “I imagine you must have faced some considerable trials to secure a divine artifact linked to the goddess of fire.”

A curious glint appeared in Arlene’s eyes. “So you recognized what it was.”

“Your chant earlier was quite revealing, and even without it, the dagger’s origin was plain to see.” Scarlett gave Arlene a thoughtful look. “…Based on your remarks, I gather the dagger has accepted you. Are you perhaps a devotee of the fire goddess?”

This detail had never been made totally clear in the game.

The woman shook her head. “I am not. I doubt there are many adherents of Itris remaining. In lieu of those, someone like me was apparently deemed an adequate substitute. But I can’t claim that obtaining it was much of a trial. As I believe I have already mentioned, it was a gift from my master.”

“Ah, I see.”

Scarlett had forgotten about that.

In the early days of the empire, when the worship of Ittar had become the norm, there were probably lots of other faiths that were pushed to the wayside, their sacred relics and artifacts falling into the hands of the region’s new non-secular power. Scarlett wasn’t sure exactly how aggressive the Followers of the time had been in that regard. It wasn’t a given that they had persecuted other faiths. Nonetheless, Ittar’s religion undeniably emerged dominant by a wide margin.

“While I understand the reasons for not lending me the dagger,” Scarlett said, “I do recall you promising some form of reward for retrieving it. I trust you have not forgotten about that.”

Arlene shot her an almost amused glance. “Me offering you my teaching is not considered reward enough?”

“That is a different matter entirely.”

“What an ungrateful pupil I have found myself.” Arlene shook her head. She paused, then added, “You will have your reward. I did promise you, after all. But for now, I think it is time to return to your training.”

Scarlett offered no objections as they resumed the previous exercises. Arlene continued to instruct and provide tips, helping her to know what to do and when. As usual, the woman knew how to pace the training efficiently, accommodating Scarlett’s mana, ordering more breaks, and refilling the [Depraved Solitude’s Choker] when needed.

The hours passed in this manner until Scarlett neared exhaustion. At one point, she was leaning against a tree at the clearing’s edge during another brief rest, her movements somewhat sluggish, but still able to use her magic.

It was fine if she continued until she could barely move at all. Rosa wasn’t here at the moment but would join them later, allowing Scarlett to rely on the bard’s charms for the strength to leave.

The bard herself was still in the village, having asked to get just today to interact with the villagers and the children. Then, from tomorrow onward, she would fully dive into mastering the new abilities the Soulstone granted her.

Scarlett couldn’t claim to fully know why Rosa wanted one day to herself like this, but she saw no point in denying the request. It likely had something to do with what Rosa had done in Crowcairn. In the end, that was Rosa’s business to deal with as she wished, while Scarlett had her own affairs to handle.

She glanced to the side, checking to see how much mana she had left.

[Mana: 3435/12136]

Even with Arlene recharging the necklace, she probably couldn’t last that much longer. She was pleased with today’s practice, but since she would wrap things up soon, perhaps it would be okay for her to use her remaining mana as she wished.

Turning to Arlene, who stood nearby, gazing out at the clearing, she voiced her intentions. “If you have no objections, there is something I would like to attempt.”

Arlene glanced back at her, motioning lightly. “Very well. Go ahead.”

“Though I doubt you would be, do not be alarmed,” Scarlett said. She then directed her focus to the center of the clearing, forgoing the customary gesture of raising a hand, as she mentally conjured her desired effect into reality.

Starting at the clearing’s heart, several sizable flames burst forth, swiftly spreading out like wildfire to envelop the space in a sea of roaring fire that stretched up to the lower branches of the surrounding trees. While these were not the most intense flames Scarlett could summon, they spanned an impressive area—at least a few hundred square meters—and the heat alone made breathing harder.

Next to Scarlett, Arlene looked completely unfazed.

Scarlett allowed the fire to recede after a brief moment, aware that the woman would have prevented it from spreading outside of the clearing.

Her current state of fatigue did limit her abilities somewhat, but even then, she was pretty sure she could have pushed things further than she just did.

It served as a decent benchmark, though.

Closing her eyes for a few seconds, she took a deep breath to refocus. Upon reopening her eyes, she called upon her hydrokinesis instead.

A considerable volume of water materialized at the clearing’s center, expanding outward like a wave to cover roughly half of the area.

That was where Scarlett felt her limit was.

She tried pushing things further, but that proved too challenging, and eventually, she relinquished control over her water, allowing it to dissipate and return to wherever it originated.

“Impressive,” Arlene remarked, arms crossed.

“Perhaps,” Scarlett responded. “But it would seem my hydrokinesis still lags behind significantly.”

Even taking into account the [Eternal Flameweaver’s Athame]’s buff to her pyrokinesis, the comparison was valid. Just now, she hadn’t tested how much mana she could put into each skill, but rather how much of each element she could concentrate on and maintain at once. It was something she’d always found more difficult with hydrokinesis.

“That’s to be expected,” Arlene said. “I would say you have a natural inclination towards pyrokinesis. It’s a miracle that your hydrokinesis is as developed as it is. There is also the difference that lies in the elements themselves. Fire wants to spread and consume, whereas water has its own nature that cannot be forced so easily.”

“Indeed?” Scarlett considered it for a moment.

Not the most surprising of revelations, perhaps. Besides, she wasn’t sure she ever even needed to conjure forth a small lake’s worth of water. The skill had other applications that fit well within her limitations.

Staying quiet for a while, she pondered what some of those applications could be. That was when she remembered an idea she had experimented with before but had never found much success with. Now, though, maybe it was possible.

Somewhat shakingly lifting her arm, she directed her attention to the space directly above her palm, her brows furrowing as she called on her hydrokinesis.

Dozens of seconds passed without anything seeming to happen, and Arlene gave her a strange look.

Undeterred, Scarlett simply continued concentrating. Unlike previous times when she had tried this, she felt like she was on to something now, elusive as that feeling was.

More than a minute passed, seemingly without any results. Scarlett moved her hand closer to her face, squinting as she inspected it.

She frowned.

There was some slight moisture on a single patch of her skin, but that was all.

She had been hoping for more.

The source of this water wasn't her hydrokinesis, but rather, she’d tried to manipulate whatever water might be present in the air around her. She already knew that manipulating existing water was more efficient than conjuring her own, so she had thought pulling water from the air could be an effective approach to her hydrokinesis.

She had never had any success when doing it with lesser versions of the skill, but this experiment suggested that it at the very least was possible. That said, the amount of water she’d pulled out was paltry.

Was it because of her inexperience, or was there simply just not enough water around? She knew that water should exist in the air—or at least that you could extract water from air—but she didn’t know the ratios, or if it existed as actual H2O.

Shifting her attention to the ground, she considered the mounds of green grass that grew among the roots and rocks of the clearing’s edge. Though her training session had left most of the clearing devoid of vegetation, the area immediately surrounding her was still safe.

Moving her hand above the grass, she attempted to use the same technique once more, this time focusing on whatever liquid was stored within the grass.

It took her another minute or so to find the particular sensation she was looking for, but eventually, a slender stream of water emerged from the blades of grass beneath her hand, floating up to circle above her palm while the grass itself wilted slightly.

It wasn't exactly the easiest technique she knew, but at least this showed that she could extract water from other sources beyond bodies of water. The reason she had never succeeded until now simply seemed to be because of the difficulty.

She allowed the water above her hand to fall back to the ground. The amount itself was hardly anything to write home about, but perhaps she could improve this technique until it was useful. Even if she couldn't extract enough water from the air, there existed plenty of water sources in the world.

“Where did you learn that?” Arlene’s voice cut through the silence. Scarlett looked up to see the woman wear a serious expression as she fixed her with a steady gaze.

“…Nowhere,” Scarlett replied. “I had theorized its potential previously, but this is my first successful attempt. The logic behind it seemed sound, however.”

Arlene observed her for several seconds. “…I would advise against exploring that technique any further in the future.”

“Why?”

“Because plants are not the only things you can use it on.”

“…You are implying that it can be used on people.”

“Yes,” Arlene said. “That is why it’s best if you leave it be.”

Scarlett frowned. “Why not? Is it prohibited in some fashion?”

Personally, she had never heard of this application of hydrokinesis in this world before.

Arlene paused for a bit. “No, it’s not prohibited. But you are not the first to consider the broader possibilities of hydromancy. Oher mages have considered the same, but employing it on living beings is generally met with disapproval by those aware of its potential. Even if you mastered it, its applications are limited. Skilled and powerful opponents will be resistant to it for the same reason you cannot simply immolate all opponents at will. Its effectiveness would mostly be restricted to those unable to defend themselves. It’s best to avoid it.”

“Even were it only effective against weaker opponents, it could be a valuable tool,” Scarlett said. “Keep in mind that my alternative is burning people. Having a subtler and potentially less lethal option could be advantageous.”

One other approach was perhaps to craft restraints from water, which she was pretty sure she could do, but that didn’t feel even remotely as effective.

Arlene did not answer immediately.

“Perhaps you are right,” she eventually said. “But others might not look favorably upon you employing such a method, Scarlett. Magic that meddles with the body against one’s will has always carried a stigma among the magical society. Even healing spells and bardic charms were stigmatized in the past.”

“I will keep that in mind.”

It wasn’t as if Scarlett didn’t understand Arlene’s concerns. She didn’t know what she could actually do with this technique, but some of the potential applications definitely ventured into morally questionable or ambiguous territory.

Yet, dismissing a potential addition to her arsenal solely due to potential ethical concerns regarding its use wasn’t something she would do. Otherwise, she wouldn’t be using her pyrokinesis at all.

Arlene’s gaze lingered on Scarlett, her pale green eyes reflecting a touch of pensiveness. Eventually, she offered a light nod. “See that you do. I can’t dictate how you choose to use your abilities, but I know what happens when others view you as something to be feared. It is not a fate I would wish upon you.”

Scarlett met her look. “That, I do not doubt.”

15