Chapter 227 – Home visits
297 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So,” Rosa began, moments after Scarlett had vanished in a blinding flash of light, turning to face Dean Godwin. “Frequent visitor around here?”

The corners of the man’s mouth lifted in a subdued smile as the honest-to-gods archmage flipped his cape back and clasped his hands behind him. “More frequent than I had originally anticipated, it would appear.”

“Yeah, I get that. Once Scarlett’s got her fangs in you, making your escape isn’t easy. Last time I tried, she cut through a horde of demons just to tell me how stupid I am.”

Godwin’s eyebrow arched slightly. “That must be quite the tale.”

“Oh, for sure. Deserves its own ballad and everything. I’ll have to get to composing one as soon as it’s not liable to get me burnt at the stake for housing one of those demons in my head.”

Rosa gave a quick glance at their surroundings, just to make doubly sure Scarlett wasn’t lurking around, ready to chastise her. After she was sufficiently convinced that wasn’t the case—she was fairly certain the woman hadn’t perfected invisibility yet—she refocused on the Dean, gesturing towards the mansion. “Shall we? I’m curious what you’ll be able to find with that fancy magic of yours.”

“After you,” the man replied, stepping to the side.

Rosa chuckled. She hadn’t actually had too many chances to interact with the old wizard during his last visit, but she’d gotten familiar enough with him to appreciate that he at least had a sense of humor. Scarlett said he could be ‘eccentric’, but that was just a plus in Rosa’s books.

If you asked her, all wizards should don pointy hats while waxing poetic at dragons. The world would be far more exciting if they did.

With her klert in hand, Rosa led Godwin across the courtyard into the mansion. Once inside, she quickly shed her nice fur coat, draping it over the back of a nearby chair, confident it would find its way back to her room eventually. She then looked around.

“Are you looking for something, Miss Hale?” The Dean asked, adjusting the black gloves on his hands.

“Waiting, more like,” she replied, beginning a countdown with raised fingers. “Three, two, one—”

A slightly awkward silence ensued.

Clearing her throat, Rosa tried again. “Aaand…one—”

Suddenly, a draft swirled through the foyer as Fynn burst in from one of the connecting doors, stopping in front of them with tousled hair.

“Fynn, a tad slow today,” Rosa observed, clicking her tongue. “I can’t in good conscience rate that higher than a seven. If we’d had a dragon on our hands, our dear baroness would’ve already been whisked away in its claws precisely six seconds ago. Looks like we’ll need to go back to square one with your training. Prepare for many early mornings.”

Ignoring her critique, the white-haired youth’s expression remained focused as he peered out the window, studying the courtyard. “Where’s Scarlett?”

Rosa pouted slightly. Building up some humor in his repertoire of social skills was still a work in progress. But she was confident they’d get him there one day.

“Scarlett decided to go on a little jaunt to Darkshore,” she said.

Fynn frowned. “Alone?”

Rosa nodded. “Alone.”

He didn’t exactly look ecstatic about the news, but given that his facial expression typically ranged from the irritated perplexity of someone struck by a thrown rock to the innocent confusion of someone just introduced to the term ‘swinger’, it could be hard to fully gauge his feelings at times.

Fynn turned to Dean Godwin. “Did you help her leave?”

“Ah, a fine day to you as well, young Grehaldrael,” Godwin greeted, his tone carrying a hint of amusement. “And indeed. At the Baroness’ request, I facilitated her journey to Bridgespell. However, the spell I cast allows her to return at her leisure, so you don’t need to worry overly about her safety.”

Fynn held the wizard’s gaze for a moment, then nodded and departed the way he came without any further words.

“It’s always fascinating to witness how similar those of the Grehaldrael tribe are,” Godwin mused, watching as the young man left. “Perhaps it is the natural result of their innate ability to detect deceit. Quite intriguing.”

“Oh, right. You’d visited his tribe, hadn’t you?” Rosa eyed him. “So, they really were all like that, then?”

“To an extent. One of their elders once said to me, ‘Words are like breezes — too powerful and plenty, and the message is scattered’.”

Rosa furrowed her brows. “That’s a bit too philosophical for our Fynn.”

“That elder was nearly a century his senior.”

“Huh. Well, I guess everybody gets a bit poetic when death comes knocking.” She had experienced that type of introspection herself more times than she could count. “From what I’ve seen, Fynn’s siblings aren’t too different from him, at least.”

“He has siblings?”

Rosa caught a fleeting glimpse of surprise on Godwin’s face.

“Sure does,” she said. “Four of them. They’re like little mini-Fynns, hair color and all. It’s been a while since I last saw them, though.”

“I see,” the man murmured, his expression turning thoughtful. “It’s heartening to hear that more of Grehalyr’s lineage has endured.”

For a moment, Rosa eyed him, wondering whether it was worth asking a bit more about Fynn’s tribe before ultimately choosing not to. If she wanted to know, it’d be more appropriate to ask Fynn directly. She’d hesitated to broach the topic in the past, feeling she didn’t have much right given her own reluctance to share much about herself, but she doubted he’d mind answering.

Their conversation was interrupted by the sound of footsteps. Rosa glanced back to see Harriet, the young servant woman, descending the second-floor stairs to the foyer with a broom in hand. The woman could be a bit inattentive, so she didn’t seem to notice Rosa until reaching the bottom step.

“Oh, Miss Rosa!” she exclaimed, stopping short with slightly widened eyes as she noticed the wizened wizard beside Rosa. “M-Master Godwin, what an honor to have you here again. Welcome back.” Her curtsy, performed clumsily along with the broom, was endearingly awkward.

Rosa couldn’t help but smile at the sight. Apparently, Harriet had been an admirer of some of Godwin’s reputed ‘exploits’ since childhood, and had been quite starstruck at his initial visit.

“Harriet, was it?” Godwin greeted warmly. “It’s good to see you again. Your stain-removal remedy proved invaluable for cleaning my robes. My daughter found it exceptionally useful, and it even appears effective against some magical residues. I must extend my gratitude for it once more.”

A blush appeared on Harriet’s face. “O-Oh, it was nothing, really. I’m just surprised such a simple trick was of any use to your daughter.”

The Dean chuckled. “I am afraid I am at fault for that. Since her youth, she has been adamant about cleaning my robes herself, and they often get stained on my travels. I did once try enchanting a device to perform such chores for her, but she didn’t quite take to it as I had hoped.”

“Perhaps she enjoys having the chance to personally care for you, Master Godwin.”

“Maybe so. With time, however, I have come to think she simply relishes the opportunity to chastise me for my carelessness,” Godwin said with a resigned grin. “A father will always remain an easy target for his daughter’s critiques.”

Harriet nodded like a sage. “Absolutely. My father wouldn’t dream of challenging me, and I would definitely make him rue the day he does.”

Rosa laughed, hearing that. “I always had the impression you ran things at your house, Harriet, but to think you were such a little tyrant. Have you been taking lessons from our lady?”

The young woman’s cheeks turned even redder. “I don’t know what you mean, Miss Rosa.”

“I’m sure you don’t.” Rosa’s smile broadened. “By the way, have you seen Garside? Scarlett needs him to arrange a room for the Dean here.”

“Master Garside is likely in the storeroom. He’s been organizing all those items Her Ladyship brought back this time.”

“Thanks, Harriet. You’re a dear, as always.”

Harriet giggled. “Always with the compliments.” Noticing Rosa’s coat on the chair, she added, “I see you’ve ‘misplaced’ another of your coats, Miss Rosa. Shall I take it to your room for you?”

“If you insist.”

“Then consider it done!” Harriet declared cheerfully, walking over and scooping up the coat. With the broom in one hand and the coat in the other, she made her way out of the foyer. “Enjoy your stay, Master Godwin. Should you need anything, just ask me or any of the staff. We’re here to help.”

Watching her leave, Godwin then turned to Rosa with some amusement visible on his face. “I haven’t been here often, but each visit seems more lively than the last. Is it always like this?”

“Oh, without a doubt,” Rosa said. “Days like these are the norm. The time we found a dead dragon at our doorstep still tops the charts for excitement, but who knows what’s next? It’s only a matter of time before we outdo ourselves.”

“Do I sense a hint of anticipation in your voice?”

“What else?” Rosa cranked the wheel of her klert, producing a couple of sunny notes. “I could compose hundreds of verses on just a week’s happenings here. Give it a decade or two and I’ll be the most renowned bard on this continent. It’s inevitable, really.”

“I am eager to hear these tales of yours,” Godwin replied, looking around. “Now, I believe Astrey’s daughter also resides here, if I’m not mistaken. Where might she be at the moment?”

“I assume you’re talking about Allyssa. So, you’re familiar with her father, then? It’s starting to feel like I’m the only one around whose family you’re not already acquainted with.”

“I don’t have any ties to Baroness Hartford’s family either, although I had heard of her father,” the man said. “But I would not quite say that Arnaud Astrey and I are familiar with each other. Our paths have simply crossed on occasion.”

Rosa shrugged. “Well, to answer your question, the young’uns are probably holed up in their little laboratory. Allyssa’s been buried in her alchemy experiments these last couple of days, and Shin is bravely testing the bounds of friendship as her test subject. I doubt we’ll see any sign of them before evening.”

“Alchemy, you say?” Godwin stroked his white beard deliberately. “I recall noting that the girl showcased a particular aptitude in that field when I was here last.”

“That she does.” Rosa leaned in, lowering her voice. “But, just between you and me, her potions leave a lot to be desired in terms of taste.”

“Consider my lips sealed,” he assured her. Then, turning more serious, he scanned the room. “Now, shall we get back to the reason for my visit?”

 

image

 

“Take a seat, if you will,” the seasoned wizard told Rosa, motioning toward the armchair at the center of the room, his preparations complete.

“Don’t mind if I do,” Rosa replied, making her way to the chair and taking a moment to survey the room as she sat down.

It was impressive how fast the man worked.

After finding him, Garside had led them to a seldom-used chamber in the east wing. There, Dean Godwin had wasted no time in arranging the space for their needs, while Rosa waited patiently in the hallway. Now that she was seeing the results of his work, she wondered if the fellow hadn’t been a master painter in his previous life.

The walls were lined with countless runes that glowed softly in the dim light, drawn with a precision that almost felt artistic. In each of the room’s corners, triangular devices hovered, faint trails of light connecting them to each other in a curious display. At the same time, the room felt encapsulated in a translucent curtain of energy, dulling Rosa’s perception of the outside world.

“You’ve pulled out all the stops, I see,” she commented, her eyes still roaming.

“Hardly. This is but the basic necessity to attempt something of this nature. But I think it should be sufficient for now.”

Rosa gave a casual shrug. “Alright. You’re the magic man.”

“One would certainly hope so.” Godwin produced a large, soft blanket from the inside of his cape, offering it to Rosa. “For your modesty. I can step outside if you’d prefer as well.”

Rosa’s lips curled up slightly. “I think I’ll manage.”

The man turned around while she discreetly shimmied out of her blouse, leaving her in only her undergarments for a second before she covered herself with the blanket. It took a moment to adjust it so that the Heartstone remained visible while not revealing too much, but the man didn’t seem to mind waiting.

Rosa idly mused how Scarlett would have navigated this situation had she been in her shoes. Maybe the woman would have insisted Godwin keep his eyes closed throughout the entire procedure. It was an amusing thought.

When he faced her again, his gaze briefly settled on the upper part of her chest, where a large, violet crystal was embedded in her skin, pulsating rhythmically like an actual heart.

“Hmm, it’s larger than I anticipated,” he noted, almost to himself.

“Oi, my eyes are up here.”

“Indeed, but this is far more intriguing, Miss Hale.”

Godwin reached into his cape once more, retrieving a set of white crystals and casting them into the air around Rosa. They began to orbit her, accompanied by the emergence of several gleaming runes.

She wondered whether the light show was really necessary.

Finally, Godwin turned his gaze up and met her eyes. “Shall we begin?”

She nodded. “I’m ready when you are.”

He pulled over a chair and took a seat across from her, and with a wave of his hand, two of the crystals descended to float in front of the Heartstone. Their light cycled through a rainbow of colors, before eventually settling on a hue that matched the artifact.

“Baroness Hartford referred to this as the ‘Astralbane’s Nexus Heartstone’, a fusion between an Abyssal Vilewyrm’s heart and an Astral Soulstone,” he began, now consulting a peculiar metal tablet that he’d just pulled out. “Is that correct?”

“Probably, yeah,” Rosa replied. “She’d know more about it than me. I just had it wedged into me without much say in the matter. For the better, probably.”

“It is a peculiar combination,” the man said. “It begs the question of why it was even attempted. Yet, from what I can observe here, it does indeed seem to exhibit characteristics typical of both demonic entities and Zuver artifice.”

“Is that good or bad?”

“Neither, I would say. It’s merely distinctly unique. Hmm…” A thoughtful look crossed the man’s face. “If I were to posit a guess, the Vilewyrm’s heart appears to have initially tried parasitizing the Soulstone and its power, though their actual relationship looks to have settled into one that is more symbiotic in nature. Perhaps it is an adaptation of sorts. The heart simply cannot fully overpower the Soulstone. Quite remarkable. I’m curious, can you tell me where the Baroness mention came upon this technique?”

“Nope. I think you’ll find that I’m not much more than a pretty face when it comes to these things,” Rosa said with a light chuckle.

“The Baroness did imply that you might not have many answers for me…” Godwin’s brow crinkled as he seemed to grow further absorbed in his thought. Meanwhile, Rosa felt a slight tingling sensation in her chest, as if the Heartstone was reacting to the man’s scrutiny.

“Oh? Did she say anything else about me?” Rosa asked, ignoring that. “Knowing her, it must have been nearly impossible for her to resist singing my praises.”

“I think we are both well aware of how unlikely that is, so I’ll simply disregard commenting on it,” the man replied, his focus remaining on the metallic tablet in his hands.

“Of course, but a girl can dream, can’t she? Who knows, you might have even believed me if you couldn’t sniff out lies like Fynn.”

Scarlett had shared that the wizard had that particular trick up his sleeve when he first visited. If he ever asked questions they weren’t supposed to answer, she’d told them to just keep quiet.

Godwin allowed a brief chuckle. “No enchantment is needed for me to simply remember any of the conversations I have had with the Baroness. Now, please stay silent for a few minutes as I concentrate.”

“Understood.”

The man let the tablet go, which promptly joined the arrangement of hovering objects around them, before producing a tool that resembled a fountain pen that looked like it had forgotten it wasn’t a tool of war, sporting a thin blade that was just a bit too sharp-looking for Rosa’s tastes.

The runes circling her shifted and morphed into new symbols, with Godwin leaning forward. “This may cause slight discomfort.”

The instrument’s sharp tip touched the Heartstone, sending a shiver through Rosa’s body. She remained silent, though, giving him space to work.

As the minutes ticked by—Rosa didn’t really keep track of how many—Godwin eventually sat back, his look introspective. “The one who prepared the Soulstone, their name was Malachi, correct?”

Rosa shifted in her seat, finding a more comfortable position after remaining still for so long. “That’s right,” she said after having settled in again.

“It’s regrettable that I was never given the opportunity to meet her myself. I must confess that the skill and knowledge on display here surpasses much of what I’ve encountered before. It’s particularly impressive how she succeeded in integrating the Soulstone with the Vilewyrm’s heart. The ability to blend such distinct elements, especially given the complexity of Soulstones compared to most contemporary artifice, is no small feat. I believe there might also be remnants of the Vile’s Authority used to bind together this creation towards the end, but I cannot be certain yet. It appears linked to something beyond this room, but its exact nature eludes me. My assumption is that this trait is something unique to an incarnate, though that in itself raises numerous questions.”

Rosa watched him quietly for a few seconds. It seemed Scarlett had shared nearly all there was about Anguish. “…Questions like?” she asked.

“I would not know where to begin, unfortunately. There are likely very few in the empire knowledgeable enough about incarnates to answer more than one of them.”

“That’s disappointing.”

With a nod, Godwin let the pen-like instrument hover in the air alongside his other suspended tools. “That it is.”

“But it sounds like you’re well-acquainted with this ‘Astral Soulstone’ thing, at least,” Rosa said. “I half-expected it to be unfamiliar to you, honestly.”

“Naturally. This is not the first Soulstone I have studied.”

“There’s more of them? Scarlett made it sound like this one was one-of-a-kind.”

The Dean crossed his arms. “They are exceedingly rare, so perhaps she was unaware that there were others. However, this particular Soulstone exhibits power considerably beyond most of the ones I’ve previously encountered.”

“You’re saying Scarlett might have been mistaken? Perish the thought.”

“I take it such an occurrence is uncommon?” he asked with a quirked eyebrow.

“You could say that. They’re rare enough to count on one hand.” Rosa mimicked the man’s stance, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms, her eyes narrowing slightly. “Makes one wonder what her secret is, doesn’t it?”

Their gazes locked, though Godwin’s face gave away little about his thoughts. “Any wizard worth their salt would be intrigued when faced with Baroness Hartford’s recent achievements and discoveries.”

“Yeah? And that curiosity extends to keeping mum about certain…ambiguities in her methods? Say, like her harboring a bard hiding one of the Six Viles inside her?”

The man regarded her quietly for a few seconds. “No, I do not believe it quite reaches that extent for most.”

“No, I didn’t really think so either.” Rosa let out a light laugh. “So, mind if I ask what she has on you that’s got you going along with all of this Anguish business? Not that I’m complaining, but sometimes curiosity gets the better of me as well.”

Godwin’s expression actually revealed a hint of mild surprise now. “If the Baroness hasn’t discussed it with you, it might not be my place to share. Nonetheless, I can’t rightly have you assuming that she holds some form of incriminating leverage over me to secure my cooperation.” The atmosphere grew more serious as he seemed to consider his next words. “…Simply put, I’ve chosen to work with her because I believe she may play a crucial role in the future of our realm, and because I am uncertain whether we can afford to lose her under the current circumstances.”

Rosa eyed him skeptically. “…Really?”

“Yes,” he said.

“That’s…unexpected.”

She wondered what threats to the realm he was worried about enough that he deemed Scarlett so indispensable. Rosa wasn’t surprised that Scarlett could play such a pivotal role — rather, that almost felt like a given. But she simply wasn’t sure what kind of threat they were talking about here.

Something related to the Hallowed Cabal, maybe? They certainly were a menace to the empire, but the entire realm? What, was he expecting another Vile to appear?

Perhaps it was something related to that ‘Anomalous One’ that Rosa had overheard Scarlett and Anguish discussing before.

A slight frown had wormed its way into creasing her forehead.

…It made her feel somewhat left out, finding out that she was apparently less in the know than the man in front of her.

“Hey,” she started, locking eyes with him. “Out of curiosity, how long have you known about me being an incarnate?”

“How long, you ask?” He stroked his chin. “I learned of it during my last visit here.”

Rosa couldn’t help laughing at that. “Then you knew about it before I did.”

That did feel a tad unfair. She was among the last to learn about her own identity. But she supposed there hadn’t been many options, considering Scarlett’s pact with Anguish.

“Well, it is what it is.” She pushed those thoughts to the side, bringing up a hand to touch the Heartstone in her chest. “I’ve got this now. I haven’t felt this free in years. You win some, you lose some.”

“I imagine it’s a relief to be free from the clutches of the Vile, and to even gain some control over it now,” Godwin said.

“Don’t you know it.”

“How was it before?”

“I don’t think you’d want to know.” Rosa glanced around at the various floating doodads in the room. “Honestly, I’d rather not dwell on it.”

“I see. Then I won’t press further.” While the man said that, his look instantly became more intense. “With that said, I do need to develop a better understanding of your current condition. The Baroness assured me the Vile no longer possesses the ability to escape its shackles. Would you agree with this assessment?”

“I would,” Rosa replied, reaching out to nudge a drifting crystal.

“Do be careful with those,” Godwin warned. “And you are truly certain the Baroness is correct?”

“Completely.”

The wizard’s gaze lingered on her for a moment, then he nodded. “That is reassuring to hear. Nevertheless, the Baroness also noted that, while contained, the Vile can still exert some influence if permitted. This means that it is not completely sealed away.”

“You’re not wrong there, but calling Anguish ‘sealed’ in the first place might be a bit of a misnomer.” Rosa tilted her head to the side. “‘Domesticated’ might be more apt.”

“Domesticated?”

“Yep. She still bites, but there’s not much force behind it. Her fangs have been removed, so to speak. The worst she can do is probably try to talk my ear off now.”

The man gave her a long stare. “…That is a very unconventional way to describe a Vile.”

Rosa flashed a playful grin. “I’m a very unconventional person.”

“That much is clear,” he said, appraising her for a moment. “Since you are the one in control, have you thought about pressing the Vile for information on how the Heartstone functions?”

“I have, but Anguish isn’t exactly the cooperative sort. Scarlett had some success forcing her to talk, but I don’t think I can replicate that.” Rosa shifted to adjust the blanket as it was slipping from her shoulders. “And if you’re hoping to get an audience with her, I’m afraid I’ll have to disappoint. I’d prefer not to let her out.”

Scarlett probably wouldn’t like it if she came back to Rosa having allowed Anguish to spill a bunch of dangerous secrets while she was gone.

Godwin shook his head. “I had no intention of requesting such a thing. While it would undoubtedly be an interesting experience, it would probably be best not to converse directly with a Vile. My concern was merely with the implications of such a powerful demon retaining the ability to communicate in such a fashion.”

“Well, she can only speak if I let her. Same goes for when it’s just between the two of us.”

“Do you ever grant her that freedom?”

Rosa nodded. “Sometimes you just want to gloat.”

“…I must question your priorities, Miss Hale.”

Her smile turned wry. “You’re not the only one.” Her expression quickly sobered, though. “That said…there are times that I slip up. Where she sneaks in a word or two unbidden.”

Godwin frowned. “That is concerning.”

“It might seem so, but I really don’t think it’s as big of a problem as it sounds,” Rosa said. “Pretty sure it’s more of a me problem than any sign that she might be able to break free. Even if she got loose, at this point, there’s not much she could actually do.”

“When dealing with ageless existences such as a Vile, any uncertainty is worrisome,” the man replied.

“It’s not an uncertainty. In fact, I know the issue is with me. Maybe I’m just too paranoid, or maybe I want to hear it, or who knows, but I’m confident the Heartstone won’t fail.” She met his gaze. “But if you think I’m losing touch with reality, it might be safer for everybody if you addressed it right now.”

He watched her closely, his silence stretching on until Rosa started to wonder if he hadn’t just drifted off into some thought. Finally, he spoke. “I initially found it odd when I heard that a relative novice like yourself could not only suppress a Vile but, as Baroness Hartford claims, even harness some of its power. Even with the Heartstone’s aid, did you not find this extraordinary feat of yours…unusual?”

Rosa gave him an odd look, puzzled by this line of questioning. “Well, yes, a bit. But it felt natural, almost instinctive.”

“One does not simply ‘instinctively’ overpower a millennia-old entity, even with help.”

“Are you sure? Because that seems to be exactly what I did.”

“I am sure, yes,” Godwin touched a finger to his own chest, then pointed at the Heartstone on Rosa’s. “It was only after learning about the Astral Soulstone’s involvement that I began to suspect why Anguish hadn’t completely overwhelmed you.”

Rosa glanced down at the crystal, then back at him. “I feel like I’m missing a piece of the puzzle here.”

“Most likely,” he replied. “Tell me, have you experienced any unusual occurrences since the Heartstone was implanted in you? Strange voices or whispers, for example.”

“…You mean aside from the ancient demon in my head?”

“Besides those, yes.”

“Can’t say that I have, then. Things like that were from before the Heartstone.” She gave him an uncertain look. “Ehm, should I be hearing something else?”

Godwin considered her for a moment, then shook his head. “I don’t know. But it’s highly unlikely that you would intuitively know how to operate an artifact as intricate and complex as that Heartstone without guidance.”

“Alright…which means…?”

“Are you aware of the true nature of Astral Soulstones?” he asked.

“I think we’ve already established that arcane artifacts aren’t exactly my forte unless music is involved. Ask me about the structure of a ballad and I’m your gal, though.”

A faint smile appeared on the man’s lips. “Allow me to give you a hint, then. It’s in the name.”

Rosa’s eyes widened. “…You’re telling me they’re actually made from souls?”

“That they are.”

She stared down at the stone inserted in her chest, face scrunching up at the thought.

“Does this revelation unsettle you?”

“I think anyone would find the idea of having a bunch of souls lodged in their chest a bit unnerving,” she said, trying to think back to if she hadn’t maybe heard a whisper or two leave the thing on some occasion after all.

“You seem to have adapted quite well to harboring a Vile, at least.”

Rosa hesitated. “…Fair point. But I do think having literal souls swimming around inside me sounds a lot worse.”

“Perhaps,” Godwin mused. “I personally don’t believe it’s a cause for excessive worry. The Astral Soulstones were crafted long ago by the Zuver, and the souls they contain are likely no worse off inside you than they were in the Soulstones themselves.”

Rosa eyed him skeptically. “…You’re sure about that?”

“Oh, not at all. I am merely speculating.”

“…Great.”

A chuckle left the man. “I do think that it’s safe to assume their condition hasn’t deteriorated since the transfer to the Heartstone. So, no need for any undue guilt.”

“If I start having strange dreams from now on, I’m holding you responsible.”

“Feel free. Anyhow, what I wanted to have said with this, Miss Hale, is that the ‘intuition’ you felt while using the Heartstone likely stems from the souls within it. As I mentioned, this particular Soulstone was extraordinarily powerful, given its ability to suppress a Vile, even if it was a weakened one. This suggests that it either contained a remarkably high number of souls or that some of those souls were exceedingly powerful.”

“Which would be better?” Rosa asked.

The man simply raised his hands in a shrug. “That’s difficult to say. Only the Zuver themselves may have been able to answer that.”

“Why would they even have created the Soulstones to begin with? Who would willingly want their soul stored in a stone for all eternity?”

“Yet another question I lack the answer to,” Godwin said. “There are various theories. I presume you are familiar with The Severance?”

Rosa’s brows creased together. “You mean when the entirety of Zuverian civilisation just up and collapsed?”

“Precisely. There are those who speculate that the Soulstones were one of the Zuvers’ attempts to survive that inexplicable catastrophe. Why they would consider it a preferable alternative is beyond me, but it might imply that whatever they faced was even more dire.”

Rosa blinked. She didn’t really know what to make of that.

“Do you know where the Baroness acquired the Soulstone?” Godwin then asked.

“Malachi was actually the one who had it,” Rosa replied. “And I think I overheard Scarlett mention that Malachi got it from Mistress.”

“Mistress?” Godwin looked surprised at the mention of the masked woman. “So she was involved in this as well?”

“You know her?”

“I have met her once, but that is all. I do know she is a formidable mage.” The man seemed to grow lost in thought for a moment, but soon returned his attention to Rosa. “Ah, but we are straying from the issue at hand. There is still much to uncover about your Heartstone, and time is limited. Hmm, perhaps we should delve into some of the abilities you’ve reportedly gained from it.”

“Sure, but I’ll need my klert for that.” Rosa moved to stand, but the wizard gestured for her to stay seated.

“Allow me,” he said, waving his hand towards her klert. The instrument floated from its resting place by the door, gliding across the room to her.

Catching it, Rosa suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. “What’s the deal with you mages and always showing off, huh? Scarlett’s no better. Did you know she uses that fire of hers to write?”

“Oh?” Godwin arched a single brow. “Write, you say? I will have to remember that one. It sounds like an enjoyable challenge, though perhaps with lumomancy instead.” He cleared his throat. “And it is as my own master often said, ‘Why master an art if not to display it on occasion?’ As a bard, you must surely understand the impulse to showcase your skills.”

Rosa couldn’t really argue with that.

The possibility dawned on her that maybe her influence had played a part in why Scarlett was always so showy as well.

The thought was both alarming and oddly gratifying.

“Now, let us try to stay focused from here on,” Godwin said, drawing her attention back to the present. “Please, demonstrate what you can do.”

With a confident smile, Rosa prepared herself. “Alright, but this stays between us. I plan to surprise Scarlett in the future.”

10