Chapter 208 – All that’s missing is a confessional
368 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Raimond regarded Scarlett silently for a while, the man’s expression concealed beneath his mask. Scarlett wasn’t sure if it was the [The Deacon’s Sunfire Visage] left by Deacon Emberwood or if it simply looked similar, but that didn’t matter much. What did was that Raimond was clad in his full deacon attire, making no attempt to hide his identity any longer.

“So you knew who I was, after all,” he said, his voice devoid of its usual levity. “I suppose I did have my suspicions, but I did not find them warranted, given some of your actions. Perhaps my judgement is not as sharp as it once was.”

“Your identity is not as well-kept a secret as you may think, Deacon,” Scarlett responded.

During her collaboration with Beldon Tyndall, the man had once hinted at recognizing who Raimond actually was. Sure, Beldon was virtually a living repository of the empire’s secrets, but Scarlett doubted he was the only one outside the Followers aware of Raimond’s penchant for ‘wandering’ under a guise.

“It would appear so,” Raimond mused.

A thunderous roar erupted as another demon emerged from the rift at the center of the area, shaking the ground under its feet while the surrounding flames intensified.

The three Dawnbringer members were exhibiting impressive teamwork in handling the threat that the demons posed, though, having already dispatched two of their opponents and pushed the demons closer to the rift while releasing bursts of radiant light from their weapons.

Raimond seemed to briefly turn his attention in that direction, observing the demons, then refocused on Scarlett, his gaze moving past her. “Malachi, I presume?”

Scarlett glanced back at the woman standing there. Though Malachi’s actual expression was masked by an illusion, her entire demeanor screamed alertness as she met Raimond’s stare.

“And Rosa as well,” the priest added, observing the bard leaning on Scarlett. “I did have my wonderings on what her role in this whole debacle was.”

“You’re one of Townsend’s new associates, then,” Malachi said. “The old hypocrite should learn when to step back.”

“I gather the two of you aren’t on friendly terms. He was not particularly complimentary about you either, if you’re interested. I won’t claim to be familiar with your history or what led you to this point, but it hardly matters now. More pressing matters call for our attention, like whatever I just witnessed you doing to Miss Hale there.”

“I suggest you discover the answer to that yourself, or consult that god of yours if he’s willing to share his insights.” Malachi eyed their surroundings, her eyes moving over the Dawnbringers and demons before eventually settling on the barely conscious Rosa.

Raising [Ittar’s Genesis], its dark core aflame with a sinister red, the woman then looked to the rift from where the demons were coming. A moment later, Anguish’s Authority flowed out from her, and a new rift ruptured the air, enveloping her.

“We’ll cross paths again,” she declared in a gravelly, severe tone, directed at Scarlett.

“Wait—”

Before Scarlett could even finish, Malachi disappeared, the rift closing behind her. Scarlett was left staring at only empty space.

Maybe that shouldn’t have been a surprise. Her collaboration with Malachi was barely an ‘alliance’, and their acquaintance was too brief for any substantial trust to exist between them. But Scarlett hadn’t been aware Malachi could conjure a new rift like that. Presumably, it was because of the power the woman had drawn from Anguish. Had she fled to the Blazes, then?

Scarlett wondered exactly how much of Anguish’s Authority Malachi had managed to take if she felt secure in going there.

“I did not expect her to escape from an unstable interstitial space so effortlessly.” Raimond sighed, and Scarlett turned to face him again. “Nor did I ever anticipate sensing the presence of a Vile emanating from a mortal. But today has been a day of many firsts.”

He made no comment about [Ittar’s Genesis], suggesting that he might not even have recognized the artifact after it had absorbed a portion of Anguish’s power.

“Baroness,” the man continued after a moment, emphasizing her title. “I hope you do not take offense when I say that I am being generous in hearing you out. An explanation is in order.”

“Perhaps, but these are hardly ideal circumstances for a lengthy discussion,” Scarlett replied.

“Be that as it may, they are the circumstances we have. With Malachi’s departure, you and Miss Hale are the only sources I have for answers. I am sure you must understand the implications of that.”

She studied him intently.

There wasn’t a doubt in her mind that he was prepared for a confrontation if necessary. Associating with demons was a grave offense that led to entire households being persecuted, and worse. Her status as a baroness might add some complexity to that, but the Followers wielded enough authority to address such issues in some way or other. And with the Dawnbringers present, simply making her escape was hardly a feasible option for Scarlett.

Despite this, Raimond had employed his magic to conceal Scarlett and the others’ appearances. Even now, he approached closely and spoke in hushed tones, ensuring that the Dawnbringers didn’t overhear their conversation. He was extending an olive branch, and it was up to Scarlett whether to reciprocate.

And she would, provided she could be certain he wasn’t a threat.

“First,” she began, “I need to understand your true purpose for being in Crowcairn at this precise time.”

The presence of the Dawnbringers tipped the scales in Raimond’s favor in any direct confrontation. Scarlett still didn’t quite get why Raimond was here when he hadn’t been involved in this questline in the game. Was his presence due to her, as she had begun to suspect? His decision to join her party and explore the Sunfire Shrine seemed to hint at that. But it also felt unlikely that he would let events escalate to this point if he’d been suspicious of her from the start.

The man fell silent for a moment, regarding her, before slowly shaking his head. “I believe I was the one seeking an explanation, but very well. It’s as I told you when we met outside the citadel. There were no falsehoods there. My mission was to gather information on behalf of my superiors, though, admittedly, I did leave out that I am one of those superiors on occasion.”

“So you were aware that the Tribe of Sin might have an enclave here in Crowcairn.”

“No. That came as a surprise to all of us. However, it seems as if you were aware of as much, Baroness.”

“I had my suspicions.”

“I wonder why that is.”

Scarlett ignored that comment, eyeing the man. “If the Quorum was oblivious to the Tribe’s presence, what prompted your investigation of the village?”

“It was the Augur’s revelation,” the man said. “It predicted that an event of untold significance could take place here.”

Scarlett’s eyes widened slightly.

The Augur had predicted this?

That definitely didn’t happen in the game. Scarlett had almost assumed that the Augur’s foresight was limited to in-game events, given the woman’s lack of intervention during the heist on the Sanctuary of Ittar and apparent ignorance of Scarlett’s involvement. That would even have made sense, given what Scarlett had learned about the fate of this world being somewhat fixed.

If that wasn’t true, though, and the Augur’s visions extended beyond the game’s plot, it raised questions about the scope and accuracy of her prophecies. How much did the woman know, and what had she hoped to prevent in sending Raimond here? Anguish’s manifestation? Malachi’s usurpation of a Vile? Or Scarlett pursuing her own agenda?

“In case you are doubting my motivations, I was unaware that both you and Miss Hale would be present when I first departed for Crowcairn,” Raimond added. “Our encounter here was as unexpected for me as it was for you. Now, I have been rather forthcoming about my initial reasons for being here. I believe it is your turn. We can set aside the reason behind the request you made of me, since I think it’s more than clear why you needed my help. What you offered in return can also be discussed later. What’s imperative now is the situation at hand, so let us begin with that. Malachi may have left, but at least one individual directly responsible for a Vile’s incursion into our realm appears to be cradled in your arms.”

Scarlett glanced down at the motionless Rosa that she was supporting, taking a moment to shift the bard’s body to rest more comfortably against her shoulder. She then returned her gaze to Raimond. “Miss Hale was not responsible for the manifestation of the Vile’s citadel.”

“From what I just witnessed, the evidence seems to suggest otherwise.”

Scarlett pressed her lips together. She didn’t know when he arrived or how much he saw.

Raimond’s attention remained on Rosa. “While I suspect I already know the answer, I still must ask. What is she?”

“…An incarnate,” Scarlett said.

“I see…” Behind his mask, Raimond’s reaction was unreadable, but his tone did not sound cheerful. “Then did she collaborate with Malachi to summon the Vile?”

“No. She was unaware of her true nature and Malachi’s intentions.”

“But you were not,” Raimond stated. “You were familiar with the inside of the citadel because you had anticipated this. Did you strike a bargain with the Vile to bring them here?”

“Only a fool would engage in such a pact with a Vile.”

“True.” The man nodded slightly. “And if there is anything I have learned from our interactions, Baroness, it is that you are anything but foolish. So, what exactly did you do?”

“I devised a trap.”

“A trap?”f

“Yes. Due to Miss Hale’s unique condition, she has always been vulnerable to being recognized and exposed for what she is. Anguish, the Vile who first discovered her, has been tormenting her for some time,” Scarlett let some of the anger in her voice seep out. “Since Anguish’s existence posed a threat to one of my people, I decided that action was necessary. Thus, I devised a method of using Malachi’s expertise to temporarily imprison the Vile within our realm, siphoning enough of her Authority to the point where Anguish could no longer harm Miss Hale.”

Raimond regarded her intently for several seconds. “So your objective was truly to trap one of the six Viles?”

“Yes.”

“To protect Miss Hale.”

“Yes.”

“…And what of the risks associated with such an endeavour?” the man asked. “Can they all be disregarded for the sake of one individual?”

“There were no risks.”

“I can think of several—”

“There were none of note,” Scarlett said, holding Raimond’s gaze. “I will not engage in a debate to convince you of this. Simply know that I am not the type to recklessly gamble with other people’s lives for nothing, much less my own. I knew what was necessary to save Miss Hale, and I had a method that eliminated the risk of Anguish causing widespread havoc. It was either this or allow one of my own to die needlessly, which I will never accept.”

“…You remain as self-assured as ever, Baroness,” the man replied.

“Because I have reason to be.”

The deacon raised an arm, the sleeve of his red robe fluttering with the movement. He pointed towards the Dawnbringers, still locked in combat with the demons emerging from the rift. “Pardon my skepticism, but this hardly seems like a situation that justifies such confidence.”

Scarlett frowned. “…There were unforeseen complications.”

“I surmised as much from your request for assistance. I assume our abrupt arrival here in Crowcairn was not part of the plan? What caused such a development? It appeared to be the Vile’s doing, but unlike what one might assume, it was not the mere expulsion of intruders from the citadel performed by its master.”

“No, such an action was beyond Anguish’s ability at that point. It was Miss Hale who was responsible for this.”

That seemed to genuinely surprise Raimond, with him falling silent for a moment. “…To me, it sounds as if you are implying that Miss Hale possesses some control over the power of a Vile.”

“To some degree, yes,” Scarlett confirmed. “As I mentioned, I had valid reasons for my confidence. Anguish was, in a sense, subdued by Miss Hale. It was part of the process intended to deal with Anguish permanently. Depending on how much of the encounter between Malachi and Miss Hale just now you witnessed, you would realize that these are not empty words.”

“…I confess, I was left mostly perplexed by what I saw there,” Raimond said. His gaze rested on Rosa, now partially leaning against Scarlett’s shoulder. Several seconds passed in silence. “While it sounds preposterous, I might indeed believe you. Yet, I am puzzled why she would have transported us all here. She did not seem to have a connection to the villagers of Crowcairn when I first accompanied her here, and you, Baroness, don’t strike me as a sympathizer of the Tribe.”

“I am not, and Miss Hale has no affiliation with the Tribe whatsoever. It would seem she simply did not find the idea of a pogrom agreeable, and as such, chose to use her newfound power to prevent the massacre that was about to occur here. Even when knowing it would obstruct my plans. She is not one to weigh the consequences of aiding members of the Tribe of Sin and how it might look to the empire.”

Not that Scarlett was one to talk, given she’d had ample opportunity to end things and make her exit if necessary. Even if everything had spiraled out of control completely and Anguish had been on the verge of fully manifesting through Rosa, Scarlett could have invoked the Vile’s name to buy the time necessary to eliminate Rosa. This would have prevented Anguish from lingering in the Material Realm and posing any threat.

Scarlett simply hadn’t been willing to take that route. Even as a last resort, she found it disagreeable. Preferably, any solution that she did find would have involved both Rosa’s survival and Anguish enduring perpetual suffering.

“…If so, it would seem Rosa is much the same as she appears,” Raimond eventually spoke in a somber tone, then shifted to a more serious demeanor. “And what of the villagers, then? Did they succeed in their attempt to retreat? I presume they used the Sanctumbrum.”

Scarlett raised an eyebrow. That was not what she had anticipated him to ask next. “Most did leave, yes. Only their warriors remained, to my knowledge.”

In most circumstances, admitting to aiding what was essentially the empire’s sworn enemies to a member of the church—a deacon, no less—was more than simply ‘unwise’. Still, in this situation, Scarlett had limited options. There were two avenues available to her that could bring a resolution she wanted, and she preferred this alternative. Besides, of everything she’d shared with Raimond, this was comparatively minor.

“Assuming you have spoken no falsehoods, Baroness, I believe I have a general idea of the situation. For divulging this much, you have my thanks, irrespective of your motivations for doing so.” His voice lowered. “However, many, many questions remain. Chief among them is Miss Hale there.” He gestured towards Rosa. “Her identity as an incarnate aside, if she still harbors one of the Viles within her, she presents a danger to all. Once she stirs, what will prevent Anguish from wreaking havoc in this realm?”

Scarlett glanced down at the bard, studying her current illusionary appearance. Rosa looked almost Allyssa’s age right now, with short auburn hair and a thick blouse that covered the Heartstone in her chest. For now, any sign of Anguish had also vanished, along with that new, unfamiliar presence Scarlett had sensed.

Raimond’s concern was valid.

What would happen once Rosa woke up? Had their plan worked? Malachi said this was complicated, but that didn’t tell Scarlett much. The woman’s sudden departure implied that there wasn’t much more that the half-demon could extract from Rosa, which was promising. The interstitial space around them was still standing, but the dome enclosing the space had gradually turned greyer as time passed, with small fissures on its surface. It probably wouldn’t last forever.

Rosa had warned that her leaving this place might be bad, but Scarlett was pretty sure that concern was no longer valid. She couldn’t pinpoint the source of that confidence, but it was there, accompanied by a firm certainty that, regardless of Rosa’s condition, it could be dealt with.

Scarlett looked back at Raimond. “If necessary, I will handle it,” she stated firmly.

The man remained silent, contemplative. He cast a brief glance towards the Dawnbringers, who were valiantly combating an increasing number of stronger and stronger demons escaping out of the rift.

“The other ones will probably arrive soon,” Raimond said after a moment. “Including your companion, Fynn, I suspect. I had him relay the message for me, but Cadence is the only member of the Dawnbringers with an artifact that allows such rapid travel. One could say we are fortunate she was the one to arrive first, as anyone else would likely not have heeded my commands, even as a deacon.”

He faced Scarlett again, his hand moving to his face. As he removed his mask, revealing his handsome features beneath, he wore a somber expression. “I did not take your request lightly, Baroness, but you should know that offering any further assistance than I already have will be challenging.”

“I am aware,” Scarlett said. That’s why she would have preferred to keep him out of all of this. Even if Raimond himself could be reasoned with, the same couldn’t necessarily be said for the Followers as a whole. “But you would not have concealed our appearances without reason.”

“Consider that a final gesture of goodwill between acquaintances.”

“…Can I take that to mean this is as far as you are willing to go?”

Raimond’s gaze sharpened, and Scarlett tensed.

She was exhausted, nearly out of mana, and burdened by an unmoving Rosa. She wasn’t in a position to face off against both Raimond and the Dawnbringers. Even if, by some miracle, she made it out from a fight like that, her involvement in all of this would become known, and she would be hunted across the empire.

Honestly, she was probably more of a fool than Rosa for letting things get this far.

Yet, despite acknowledging this, she found herself surprised by how unfazed she felt in the face of that. Paradoxically, ever since entering this interstitial space to find Rosa, she had gradually felt more and more confident. That confidence stemmed from the very same conviction that told her she could safely bring Rosa from here. It was telling her that, even if she should be completely outclassed in a fight, she did stand a chance.

Moreover, her identity would remain secure as long as there were no witnesses.

The ruthlessness behind that thought was somewhat startling, but she’d be lying if she claimed she hadn’t entertained similar thoughts since she first laid eyes on Raimond outside Anguish’s citadel. The man was a potential ally, but he was also a potential threat. She’d always known that.

As for the origin of this strange conviction… She had a sneaking suspicion, but it wasn’t something she could confirm right now.

Preparing herself for a fight if necessary, Scarlett moved in front of Rosa while keeping her attention on Raimond and the serious expression on his face.

Contrary to her expectations, however, the man unexpectedly sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “Let me pose this hypothetical to you, Baroness,” he said, locking eyes with her. “Say you were to successfully overwhelm a certain debonair deacon after he had assured his frighteningly competent colleagues that he will handle you, and then you make your daring escape. How likely do you think it is that he could retain his rather cushy, but highly esteemed, position?”

Scarlett blinked, caught off guard by the question, then a slight smile curled the corner of her mouth.

19