Chapter 3
104 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A movement that originally started off with disapproval of the monarchy developed into a full-blown civil war throughout the empire.

4 noble families have defected and joined the newly formed state against our monarch. As a result, the rest of the families were viewed with suspicion.

8 families are officially under investigation, 2 have been stripped of their nobility and 1 was executed. 

Families suspected of treason are taken to a secretive court to be judged.

It became clear that as this war went on, the royal government became increasingly paranoid.

Especially toward us, the Lockhart family. Over the years we have failed to create new meaningful connections with other noble families therefore our isolationist behavior became a huge red flag to those watching us from the royal palace.

There is however a straightforward solution to this problem. One that was hard but other families were already doing it: sending their children to war.

It was the quickest way to prove our loyalty to the current government and erase all suspicion.

A family meeting was soon called. Lance and Adrian realized what was going on and were quick to jump at the opportunity.

"Father, mother. Please allow me the honor to fight." Lance said with great enthusiasm.

"If it benefits this family then I will do whatever it takes." Adrian said proudly, choosing his words to specifically cater to mother.

Their intentions were so obvious. Lazar was not old enough for military service and therefore the two cunning brothers saw a chance to score points in their race to become heir.

I was a naive little girl back then. Even though the two were not nearly as close to me as Lazar, they were still my brothers that I cared for.

"Do you two really have to fight? Is there really no other way?"

"Look at how much our beloved sister has grown to worry about us"

Lance kneeled down and held my hand.

"Do not worry Fae. You should know that Adrian and I are both very strong!" He grinned.

Adrian stood stiffly with his back to me to face father but after Lance's words, he turned his head and gave me a reassuring smile.

Even as a child I have always felt ingenuity from these two but it was moments like this when I could not tell for sure.

Father sighed "What can I say when you two insist..."

He looked at mother only to find her cross-armed with a frustrated look. She seemed like she wanted to say something but could not.

It is just speculation, but my mother was most likely facing a dilemma. On one side were her ambitions for the family. This move would definitely help our family's image, something she always strived to do. On the other side, her motherly instincts are begging her not to send her two boys into danger.

Lance and Adrian bowed their heads in thanks and walked away with excitement in their eyes. They were happy about being able to fight and gain recognition all at once.

Father remained seated, looking deep at the table, his expression stern yet sad at the same time. It was like he knew there was something that needed to be done but didn't want to do it. His gaze shifted to mother but she seemed to be on a different train of thought than him. Her eyes were downcast as if she were remembering something painful.

He finally looked up and put on a smile.

"Fae, Lazar, I hope you will be alright without your brothers."

"Don't worry, we'll be fine!" said Lazar.

I nodded in agreement.

A few days later, Lance and Adrian officially joined the war. Our family watched as they boarded a caravan of carriages.

Mother gave her departing boys a hug with a bright smile. She looked a lot less worried or concerned about their departure.

It turned out that father desperately made a deal with a military official high up in the royal government.

The cost was unknown but thanks to their help Lance and Adrian were to be deployed in the rear, far away from any real danger. They would still be combat mages in name but instead with the job of protecting a headquarters that housed senior officers inside.

We thought this was enough, but this war was too hungry to be satisfied with just two of my brothers.

2