Vol.1 Part. 07: New World
53 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was already morning, but the sun had still to rise. A cold wind blew against a person with a thick jacket who entered the secret service facility. She showed her identity card and walked towards the labs. Jannet made her way into the laboratory to begin her daily routine. She tied her dark hair, put on her coat, and after disinfecting her hand, she entered.

In front of her was a room with a big window and a table in the middle. The table had holes through which chains could go and immobilize Luna. Jannet didn't look into the room and instead made her way to the medical devices. She took a syringe and pressure bandage from the box and made her way to Luna.

"Good morning Luna; I hope you slept well, and if it cheers you up, I'm still working on your bed and brought you a new book."

Jannet thoroughly enjoyed talking to Luna. Although she cannot free Luna from prison, she does her best to help Luna. In a couple of weeks, she will surely be able to get the permit for Luna's cozy sleeping places. But something was off this morning; Luna would usually answer every time Jannet came into the laboratory. A little concerned, Jannet hit another light switch. In an instant, the entire room was lit up.

"I got your Book and new gingerbread too...What the" Her smile instantly vanished when she saw a twitching Luna still chained to the exam table. Hissing noises came from her like a cornered cat; Luna thrashed as much as the chains would allow. Jannet instantly pushed the emergency button on next to the control panel. 

"What the hell happened to you?" asked Jannet out loud. But she got no answer; only a loud painful cry escaped Luna's throat. They were talking fine yesterday. Jennet went back to the medical equipment and took out a special thermometer to check Luna's body temperature from the outside.

"45 degrees; impossible; she should have been dead long ago."

Finally, two colleagues who had been alerted by the emergency button arrived.

"We've seen the emergency signal; what's the problem."

"Something is wrong with Luna; I found her in this state when I arrived here 5 minutes ago." She didn't know what to do; she had never seen a similar reaction from any other person.

"criii"

Everyone jumped when a deafening cry shook the glass wall in front of everyone.

"Ahhhh," screamed Jannet and the other two people in pain. They had to cover their ears because of the high volume. Alarmed by the emergency call and cry that could even be heard outside the research room, additional people rushed to the scene. One of them was an elderly man with greasy hair.

"What's going on here?" Asked Grimm.

"I'm sorry, but we don't know. Jannet found Luna in this state and immediately pressed the emergency button." Said one of the scientists present.

"Grimm, her body temperature is over 45 degrees; if we don't do something, she will die!" exclaimed Jannet, panicking.

"Then we have to go in her room and stun her. You two take care of cold things and lapping. Jannet, is there any anesthetic left in the medicine box?" said Grimm every second was important now. 

The two people Grimm pointed first immediately fetch cold water in the room, and Jannet quickly got the anesthetic to stun Luna.

"Can we get even close? She hisses violently as she moves, "said a scientist terrified by Luna.

"Don't act like that; she's still chained up, so what can even happen." Grimm was about to open the door when suddenly her eyes started to glow red.

"Whatever happens to her seems to be a natural progression." was the first thing Grimm noticed.

Luna stopped struggling, and everything became quiet. Her head turned slowly to the side and looked toward the group.

"Don't look her in the eyes," cried Jannet, but it was too late. Four people collapsed before their eyes. Jannet tried to shake them awake, but they lay on the ground without any changes. Everyone became terrified by this situation. What was initially thought to be a disease turned out to be a werewolf-like transformation.

"I don't think we have the situation under control anymore," said Jannet and slowly backed away. She still looked in Luna's direction but avoided eye contact. The remaining people followed Jannet's example and did the same. They always felt the gaze of the monster looking at them through the glass. They only dared to look at her body, and that's when they noticed her body was changing. Her nails became longer, her teeth grew, and her hair became silver-white like the moon. 

"She is chained. We're going to declare the highest security threat in this building and an ambulance," said Grimm and pointed to the people that looked her in the eyes. The group jumped when darkness flowed into Luna's room like a liquid. The once-white walls became black like the night sky. The dark liquid started to circle her body more quickly and quickly until she was completely covered in darkness. Her clothes dissolved into nothing, and a lovely soft black dress grew around her body. It had long sleeves and glowing runes. The dress fluttered in the wind that arose under the increasing pressure.

The remaining darkness pushed against the chains and walls of the room. Slowly, cracks appeared on the glass and walls.

Crack.

With a loud sound, the left chain binding Luna's arm bursts. The scientist could only watch in horror as Luna's left hand slowly wandered to the other chain.

"Run," cried Jannet. She was the first to react and already turned to dash toward the exit. The four people still conscious in this room turned as well and tried to get out of the room.

Crack. Crack. Crack.

A loud noise came from the inside room where all chains had broke due to the shadows ripping through them like paper while Luna floated elegantly in the cell.

They sprinted down the corridor. On her escape, Jannet hit another button to signal an emergence in the entire building. Grimm was the first to fall behind. He didn't do sports because it was a waste of time for him.

Bam

Another shockwave traveled in their direction as Luna exploded out of the room she was imprisoned in. Shards of glass and chunks of wall flew in all directions as Luna stormed through the walls like an unstoppable tank. Another cry shook the entire facility this time, alarming everyone in it.

As Jannet, Grimm, and two other scientists ran for their lives, Luna, who had just exited the room, sniffed the air and slowly looked in their direction. The only thing Jannet heard were collapsing stone structures as Luna started to hunt her prey. She didn't care if walls were responsible for stability. She caught up immediately and dug her teeth into Grimm's neck. His body immediately went numb as his eyes became wide. No sound came from his body. After a couple of seconds, only his dry skin remained.

As the lifeless shell of his body hit the ground it quickly crumbled to dust. Luna looked around; Jannet's group had already gone downstairs. The researchers were able to escape for the few seconds that they were out of Luna's field of vision. Luna, having lost sight of her prey, began running amok around the facility. Parts of the building soon collapsed, burying researchers alive. Wherever Luna leaped past, she left a trail of devastation and dry bodies that crumbled to dust at the slightest touch.

Jannet heard shots from all corners. She made her way out of the facility, sweating and too scared to think of something other than to survive somehow. The building started to fall apart, as every wall Luna smashed made the facility even more unstable. She had to stop to avoid the fallen debris. Her skin was covered in dust from the crushed stone and dust of countless corpses. Behind her, she heard a group shooting and knew Luna was near. The bullets had no effect, and grenades were thrown out of desperation, but nothing had an effect.

"Did we get her?" Asked a man in uniform.

"I think-." His sentence was cut off, and his body fell to the ground, split in half. Luna's pale face and white hair were soaked in blood. A look to the side with her soulless eyes caused the blood of everyone present to freeze. No one could escape her. Her presence was just like death itself.

Jannet was standing with her back to the wall. The crumbling ceiling blocked her path, and she could not get outside. Luna slowly turned her way toward Jannet's direction. Red eyes glanced into her soul and paralyzed her. She tried to run, but her body did not obey her.

With a roar, she heard Luna dash forward, her claws red from the massacre. Jannet only closed her eyes. She didn't see how shadows embraced the entire area. A big explosion followed as a rocket struck their ground and completely obliterated the surroundings. After the smoke cleared, there was no sign of anyone. Time went by, and even after hours, the exact number of deaths could not be determined.

 

***

 

Everything was dark, Jannet was swimming through nothingness.

'Am I dead?' Those were Jannet's only thoughts.

Tears pooled in her eyes at the thought of never seeing her children again, and fear started to grow like a tumor because she didn't know what was happening now. Was this some kind of punishment she had to endure?

"It's about time you wake up," said a soft voice, entering her ear. The darkness slowly crumbled around her.

'Is this all just a dream? Is an angel welcoming me into heaven?"

"Maybe I should get a bucket of water? But where can I get it?" said the gentle voice again.

Jannet was shaken, and the darkness around her collapsed entirely. She opened her eyes only to see a young woman with short black hair and red eyes over her. She wore a medieval dress worn by archers and had a cape. And a black bow was on her back.

'What the hell is going on here,' Was the only thought going through Jennet's mind?

'Wow, she is calm even though I almost massacred her. Let's see how strong her will is to survive. I will let her think I will leave her behind.' While Luna was planning how to train her to survive in this new world, Jannet sitting in silence for a minute started to freak out. Her vision had not returned yet, so everything was blurry for her.

"I'm surprised you survived after I went amok," said Luna. She obliterated most of the facility in the process. Jannet's vision became apparent, and she noticed she was not lying in a room but under the blue sky. As she looked around, only trees lay in her field of vision. Soft grass was touching her skin, and she looked around anxiously.

"Where are we?" unsure of our location, Jannet questioned. She noticed that Luna's hair was black again, which gave her a sigh of relief.

"And I thought you would never ask. To answer your question, I don't know. But I can tell you we are no longer on earth."

Jannet froze. She could not process what was happening. Slowly her memory came back about events that had happened. It took her a while to break out of her trance; she was still terrified by Luna's earlier appearance, but she knew she had transformed back into her human appearance.

"What exactly do you mean by that?" Jannet finally asked with a shaky voice.

"Ahh, right, you can't sense mana as I do, but the mana here is incredibly dense. Back on earth, you could barely create a flame, even after gathering mana for 5 minutes. Simply put, this is not the planet Earth you were on 5 hours ago."

To get her point across, Luna snapped her fingers, creating a spark. With a circular movement of her hands, she let the spark grow until a flame sat in her hand. Jannet looked in Luna's direction with a bewildered face.

"I..Im...Impossible," she stuttered.

"For now, I'll be on my way; good luck to you," Luna said and went the other way, leaving Jannet behind. It took some time for Jannet to understand the seriousness of the situation. She quickly got up and ran behind Luna. Even if Luna scared her, she knew she could not survive in the wilderness all by herself.

"Wait, you can't just leave me here," exclaimed Jannet. 

"Why not; I don't know you, and I don't owe you anything. Besides, you're just a hindrance to me. "Consider yourself lucky. I even waited for you to wake up," answered Luna in a cold voice.

"Please take me with you, I have no idea how to survive in the wilderness, and if there are monsters everywhere, I won't survive the night," she almost cried but was somehow still able to pull herself together.

"How would I benefit from taking you with me? You can't fight, you can't use magic, you can't hunt or make fire. I would not only have to take care of you but also travel at your pace. Since I don't know what kind of dangers are waiting for us in the forest, this makes you just an additional risk factor."

Jannet was not prepared for this situation. She went camping a couple of times with her father, but that was not enough to survive alone in the forest without any equipment. Maybe she could survive a couple of days, but more than that was unlikely. It was true she would only be a burden for Luna, but did Jannet have any cards to play? Luna turned around again and left Jannte, who made a desperate face while she was thinking. She dropped to the ground, her head working at full speed to find some way to survive.

"Luna, please wait."

Luna stopped, turned around, and looked Jannet in the eyes.

"Then let's hear what you have to offer?"

"If I am right, you need someone to drink blood from. I can be that someone." Luna was stunned for a second,' yeah, I might even have to do that if the animals are too different in this world.' Jannet didn't notice the split second Luna lost her poker face. With her mask on, she continued to test Jannet.

"Not bad at all, but I can just go hunting animals; why would I need you as a live blood donor?" Asked Luna with a grin on her face.

"How do you know animal blood from this world can quench your thirst? If you allow me to accompany you, you always have someone to drink from.

Luna stopped and thought for a moment before she continued to go forward, laughing loudly. She knew she had lost. But in the end, it was never her plan to leave Jannet behind.

"I wouldn't have left you alone since you took good care of me, but just so that's clear, you listen to what I tell you. Do you understand?" Luna looked in Jannet's direction with a serious face.

"Of course, I will follow your orders."

"Our top priority is first to build a shelter for the night and get some food," said Luna. She could smell some animals nearby, so getting food shouldn't be a problem.

"And what about water?" Asked Jannet.

"We've got water in the air and plants; that'll do for now." While Luna prepared herself for the hunt, Jannet was still puzzled by Luna's answer. 

What did she mean by; water in the air will do? 

"You take care of the firewood while I get us something to eat."

2