Ch 14: Not According To Script
120 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Several torches were set in the village square, forming a circle around the shrouded body sitting in the center. Surrounding this circle were several rows of Ogres, all battle ready, the contours of their armor illuminated by the moon's soft glow. A single warrior, who Dar quickly realized to be their chieftain, then stood up and slowly made their way to the body with a torch in hand. After giving a short speech, the chieftain then set the shroud alight, before stepping back a little to take in the somber sight.

"<They're all going to bring the Second Chief's ashes to the forest soon.>" Fiel muttered, watching the cremation ceremony through a bronze telescope"<And when they do, that's...>"

"<...When we strike.>" Dar finished, lowering his own telescope and taking a tentative glance behind him.

Bloody hell...

The rescue team that Dar had hastily gathered over the past couple days, all accompanied him atop the side of a tall ravine, hidden by the forest's dense vegetation. Even after performing his fifteenth headcount, the immense pressure he initially felt had not changed in the slightest. More than forty people were willing to risk their lives for this prison break. And he would be the one leading them. 

"<It's genius!>" Fiel continued, grinning widely as she brushed a blonde strand of hair off her face. The troops waiting behind them murmured their assent. "<Taking on the underground prisons should be a breeze once all these ogres march off. But the fact that you've managed to calculate this much is... well... a little scary to be honest. I still struggle to believe that this all started from you.>"

"<It's a little too early to think that this will amount to much, don't you think?.>"  

"<You're right. But I have faith in you, Captain. And so does your...>" she glanced uncertainly at Dolly who had also been lying prone beside them, watching the burning shroud in silence. "<...Erm...>"

"<We're not a couple.>"

"<Companion, sorry. We'll toast once this is all over.>"

"<For sure.>"

A louder murmur of assent erupted from the rest of the group.

Of course, most of this had been a complete fluke. Dar had obviously not planned his accidental murder of the Second Chief, nor had he foreseen the chain of events that would soon follow. Dolly's input also played a big part in his preparations. And if a random Ogre hadn't struck up a friendly conversation with him during his last toilet break — Dar sorely wished that something more than a thin sheet of fabric separated the inn's toilet chambers — he would've never learned about the details of this cremation ceremony in the first place. Still, it was far too late to tell them that he was some random nobody who'd spent less than a week in this world. Especially when he'd paid and convinced a fair amount of them into joining with his war funds. If he wanted to maintain any sort of morale, keeping up this 'genius' façade was probably for the best.

Well, I've played the 'criminal mastermind' role before. Even if I'm not smart, having the correct charisma should go a long way.

Then Dar felt a sharp nudge to his shoulder.

"<They're leaving...>" Fiel whispered "<But that's strange...>"

"<Yeah, that was faster than expected...>"

"<No, Captain, not that. It's the Chieftain. He stayed behind,>"

Dar paused for a moment. Was this extremely bad news? Just how strong could this individual be to singlehandedly affect their chances of success? But before he could voice these thoughts aloud, a stone hatch disguised as the forest floor opened itself beside him. Dar's soul almost left him upon seeing the large ogre that had pulled itself out, but he managed to calm down after recognizing its face. It was one of the two spies that he'd managed to bribe.

"<Report!>" the spy announced "<I have just checked the tunnels and left most of the gates unlocked. It should be relatively clear for now. However, my partner got caught by the Chieftain's son.>"

"<The Chieftain's son?>" Fiel said, her eyes narrowing "<What was he doing down there?>"

"<It looked like he was interrogating one of our prisoners. C-Count Undane,>" The spy added quickly, now intimidated by Fiel's intense glare "<B-But then...>"

"<Then?>"

Although almost half his height, she somehow managed to grip the spy by the scruff of his neck.

"<I-I found him dead.>" he spluttered "<They were duelling, and then...>" 

"<Dead?>"

"<Y-Yes ma'am... His body had been split in half. I-I'm sorry, I couldn't--!>"

"<Your lying! The Count was the strongest person I knew! No one could possibly best him!>"

"<I-I can assure you, ma'am, I'm only telling you what I saw!>"

Fiel pushed herself away from him, eyes widened in disbelief, before collapsing to her knees. Her mouth was still agape, moving soundlessly as if repeating a single word under its breath.

"<Dead? It can't be...>"

Dar quickly got up and pulled the spy until they were both out of earshot. Both Etoile and Count Undane were their top priority targets. And for one to have already been eliminated... 

Damn it...

There was something he definitely needed to confirm.

"<From what you saw,>" Dar began urgently "<Do you think there's a chance that the plan has been compromised?>"

"<I-I don't think they're expecting you, sir.>" The spy replied "<But something else seems to be going on behind the scenes,>"

"<So no traps?>"

"<Not to my knowledge,>"

"<And Etoile?>" Dar asked "<The human girl we were discussing before?>"

"<Still alive,>" The spy answered "<But she's not in the tunnels, sir. You'll need to infiltrate the Zharita Clan Mansion.>"

Dar gave a sigh of relief. If he recalled correctly, the Zharita Clan Mansion must be connected to one of the prison complex's exits. Locating her wouldn't be too difficult, especially since discovering the new method of communication through the Soul Menu. However, after dismissing the spy and rendezvousing with the rest of the group, his relief was cut short. And so had the number of men he had at his disposal.

"<Where did Fiel go?>" he said looking around and bracing for the worse. "<Why are there so few of you left?>"

"<She took a team down there>" One of the remaining men replied, pointing at the camouflaged hatch "<Said she was going to kill someone before they kill the rest of the prisoners. We were told to stay and help you with your part>"

Dar swore under his breath. What happened to coordinating? 

"<Right.>" Dar finally said <"I guess Dolly and you five are with me. Our destination is the Clan Mansion. I take it that you've all memorised the routes?">

Dolly and the other five, nodded their heads and approached the hatch simultaneously.

As Dar lifted it open and eased himself in, he seemed to feel the awkward weight of his newly purchased body armour and sword much more clearly. He could feel his leg jitter in a mixture of anxiety and anticipation. Something he found comparable to stage fright. And although he wasn't much of a leader, he hoped that his skills as an actor would somehow fill that gap up. 

It's finally time, huh?

 

 

 

3