Ch 16: To Adlib (1)
87 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If it wasn't for Dar's first stupid decision to hide, half of the group may have had a better chance of staying alive. If he hadn't been so foolish as to think that they could somehow ambush the approaching ogres, maybe they could have already escaped by now. But they were too late. It was only after hearing the words 'Young Master' and the almost perfect description of their party, that they started to realize the direness of their situation. 

"<Mio, forget about the fake wall. We're making a break for the closest exit,>"

"<No spell?>" she said, looking at Dar uncertainly. "<We run?>"

After giving a sharp nod, Mio relented and raised her hands once again, forcing the stone barrier she'd previously conjured to collapse back into the ground. He'd intended for it to serve as camouflage, but somehow the 'Young Master' was able to see completely through it, even in the pitch-black darkness. That was reason enough to tell him that this was no ordinary Ogre. And the constant sobs of 'We're gonna die' escaping the Elf's trembling lips only served to reinforce that.

For a moment, Dar wondered whether he should run towards Fiel for backup but then thought otherwise. Sure, he could use them as bait, but they were important in drawing the attention of any prison guards. He couldn't exactly lead them into a potential bloodbath. He needed another distraction.

<"Split up!"> Dar barked <"We'll meet at the designated exit!>"

The rescue team separated into two groups and fled into the junction ahead, the Elf's larger team opting for the left under the guidance of two of his masked companions, while Dar's smaller team took the centre with the third. Even though the 'Young Master' probably possessed monstrous strength, the fact remained that he was still alone. There was no way he could pursue both groups at once, right?

Damn it. If only we hadn't stood around arguing over that bloody prisoner.

As they ran for their lives, Dar heard the screams of agony echoing behind him. It was a risky gamble, but it looked like the diversion was paying off. The Ogre must've chased after the bigger of the two fish. But whether the Elf's team could stall him long enough for them to escape or perhaps lose him in the labyrinth, Dar didn't know. 

"<Boss, you good?>"

It was at that moment that Dar realized he was feeling light-headed. He was quickly running out of breath. They had only been at this for about two minutes and it was becoming clear to him that his low stamina was just not up to the task. He had been running on fumes since this morning. Add that to the fact that he was sharing his soul and his recent drop in caffeine levels, Dar figured his body would fold faster than a penguin in a sauna. Dolly also seemed to be struggling, as she clutched onto the wall for support. They both knew that the rush of adrenaline could only bring them so far.

"<It's nothing.>" Dar told the bald mercenary, through gasps of air "<Don't slow down.>"

"<You're pretty out of shape boss.>"

"<Yeah, I know, just...>"

Suddenly he felt something cold and wet splash against his shoulder. The Lunarys must've noticed it too, momentarily stopping to stare at the strange spectacle suspended before them. 

"<Floating water droplets?>" he muttered, voicing everyone's thoughts aloud "<Hol--">

But the man didn't even get to finish his sentence.

Within seconds, Dar's eyes were flash banged by a sheet of pure blue, closely followed by the sound of something scything through the air. Once the disorientation wore off, he found himself doused in warm red. Remnants of the masked man were strewn everywhere, his innards decorating the mouth of the next tunnel ahead. The bloodstained stalactites merely added to Dar's imagination, and for one crazy moment, he thought the tunnels had somehow transformed and eaten him. Then he looked down and saw something even worse.

No bloody way... 

He hadn't felt a thing at first, but upon noticing his amputated arm, the pain promptly made itself known, hitting his senses like a fire truck. Dar fell backwards and shut his eyes, holding back tears of pain and disbelief. However, the burning in his missing limb quickly died down as something cold and wet layered itself over. Did unseeing it somehow help? Maybe the pain's existence was decided by sight.

Heh. Schrodinger's Pain? Is that even a thing? 

How Dar could inwardly laugh at a time like this was beyond him. He blamed it on the blood loss. 

"<Stay still.>" A familiar female voice begged "Selxior, Chapiton. <Please...>"

He forced his eyelids open, but it took a while for the darkness to recede from his vision. At last, he found Mio crouching beside him, grabbing liberal amounts of something brown from a small pouch and applying it to his wound. His body was shivering violently as she tried to keep him in place. 

"<Sorry, I'm trying my best.>" Dar replied, trying to keep the panic from his voice. <"Uh... Is this mud or...?">

Mio nodded.

<"I see... not sure if that'll do anything but... Magic?>" Dar's attention was suddenly drawn to something pale in her other hand "<Don't tell me... A-Are y-you...? Are you using it to stick my arm back on!?>"

Then he remembered that she was some sort of earth mage and decided to shut up. He was vaguely aware of Dolly saying something, but the sound in his ears was strangely muffled.

Dar [Physical Body] [Soul 1] (28%)

Lv 5 (200/800 XP)

Life Force (15%): 589/589 (+200:[Mend: Earth])

Identity (13%) 

Mana (0%): 0/0

As she fixed his limb back onto the fleshy stump protruding from his shoulder, Dar felt a sharp, tingling sensation coursing through his body. He gave his left arm an experimental flex, then watched, astounded, as it responded perfectly. The sensation was extremely satisfying. Maybe not as satisfying as the time he'd regained its ownership from Etoile's perverted clutches, but still, leagues ahead of anything else he'd experienced.

But here's the real question: Is it better than se--

"Dar," Dolly said reproachfully. "He's here..."

He panicked for a moment, wondering whether sharing souls somehow allowed her to access his inner thoughts. But then Dar quickly realized that it was not he who was the subject of contempt, but the large figure which had just stepped into the torchlight.

Buran... 

The ogre dropped several decapitated heads onto the floor, then regarded them bemusedly with his golden eyes. Thick layers of blood and bronze clung to his oversized body, emphasizing his imposing physique whilst reflecting their looks of fear. This was the monster they'd spent hours trying to come up with a counter for only to give up. The monster Dar had wanted to avoid at all costs. He didn't care if he'd obtain some fancy rain sword from killing him. They were clearly outmatched.  And judging from his arrogant expression, the Ogre knew that.

Is it too late to get on our knees and beg? I wouldn't mind some good ol' feet licking if that'll get us out alive.

After casually twirling his blades and planting them in the ground, Buran opened his mouth to break the silence. 

"<Heh. So we meet again...>"

Dar drew his sword and took a tentative step back.

"<I merely dismissed you as another cowardly human, but it does appear that you have some spine remaining. It's a shame, really, that I have to end you. Your antics have made the past few days much more bearable, 'Boss'.>"  Buran then shifted his attention onto Dolly, who glared defiantly back, sword in hand. "<And you too? Hmm...>"

He stroked his chin, mockingly before continuing.

"<Whilst the prospect of having two identical beauties is alluring, I don't think it is possible under these time constraints. Trust me, I know, I'm as disappointed as you are. But I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed breaking your sister's spirit. Her screams wer-- >"

The bald mercenary directed a throwing knife at his face, but Buran cocked his head sideways, causing it to hit the ceiling behind him with a loud thunkWhilst it proved harmless, it was enough to draw his attention. 

"<Those girls belong to the Boss, you bastard! You ain't got nothing on him!>"

"<Oi...>" Dar muttered resting his hand on the mercenary's shoulder before he could take off, <"What are you trying to pull?>"

"<I know what I'm doing, Boss. I'll hold him back whilst you take the girls an-->"

Both were suddenly distracted by Dolly who had taken to charging the Ogre with her sword. Fortunately, they were both close enough to grab her before she could reach striking distance.

"<Woah woah woah, missy! You have a death wish or something?>"

Dolly lashed out, screaming and kicking "Let go of me! <Let go!>"

"Dolly," Dar said pacifyingly "He's lying. Etoile's fine. We heard from her last night, remember?"

At last, she seemed to stop.

However, the mercenary was forced to jump back and release her, narrowly avoiding what would have been a fatal blow by Buran. He raised his own axe and dashed forwards to bring it down on the Ogre's head, but his opponent was quicker, closing the gap instantly to send the mercenary flying with a roundhouse. Had Mio not cushioned his landing with a wall of moist dirt, the bald mercenary would have most likely broken every bone in his body.

"<Everyone leave!>" Mio yelled, pulling out several stone pillars from the ground and launching them like missiles "<I'm strong! This place... uh... My home!>"

"<What?>" The mercenary yelled back. <"What's that supposed to mean!?">

Mio swore in what was probably her native language, before trapping Buran in a stone coffin. But the Ogre slashed it effortlessly apart and bounded towards her until a pillar shot out from beneath him, punching him squarely in the jaw. The ground surrounding her had now become riddled with holes, as large chunks had been telekinetically removed to be used as ammunition. It seemed like she couldn't cast her magic without some sort of base material.

"<She means she's underground.>" Dar explained, ducking to avoid a stray piece of gravel <"For an Earth mage, this must be her home turf,">

"<You understand Thiutian, Boss?>"

"<No I can't. But she's right, we should escape while she's distracting him.>"

Mio smiled grimly at him, as though appreciating his explanation, before motioning him to leave. Nodding, he seized Dolly by the hand and rushed out in the direction of the new tunnel Mio had torn open for them. If he could memorise the prison routes correctly, this should connect to the left passage the other half of his team took...

"<Think they're still alive, Boss?>" The mercenary asked, following closely behind.

"<...>"

He doubted it. Buran was probably a perfectionist when it came to killing. That meant he'd be hot on their heels once Mio was out of the picture. Still, he couldn't underestimate her abilities, as the mini earthquake she had now whipped up must've meant she was particularly strong.

As they rapidly made their way to the other side, Dar tried to take one last look at her, catching a brief glimpse of her dirtied face before several stone walls erupted from the floor, sealing the entrance shut. The Labyrinth began to shudder with greater intensity. 

Wish I could've thanked her in her own language. Should've learnt it when I had the chance.

Then a blue screen popped up in front of him.

 

[System]

Etoile has entered [Soul Form].

You can now communicate with [Soul 2]

 

What is she doing? I thought I told her to conserve mana.

 

Unless...

 

Dar's insides seemed to be performing a whole gymnastics routine. This could only mean one thing.

 

["Hey, Dar. Can you hear me?"]

 

 

 

 

1