Chapter 5: Raelynn
16 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
stuffs about to get serious... but the trio is still happy. Sort of.

I also hate this chapter.

SO much

I hate it. My least favorite.

for multiple reasons

By the third day, everyone had sort of lapsed into an almost domestic routine. They would all wake up and go to breakfast together, where the conversation was slowly beginning to increase. Then Kai would usually go outside for a ride while Becca and Raelynn would clean up after breakfast with the help of Jay, and then go care for Holly and the chickens.

Around lunch Kai would come back in and begin making lunch, and after they ate Kai would go draw up in their room while Raelynn and Becca started to learn how to use the blades. Dinner would soon roll around and while Jay cooked dinner, all three of the teens would practice with knives, in case of an emergency.

At dinner on the third day, there was a lot more chatter than at the previous dinners. Kai was currently telling Jay about the camp, “And we had to go to prayer three times a day, in the morning, the afternoon, and all of us together in the evening.”

Jay nodded, his face slightly pale, “I can’t imagine what Elise had gone through…” He muttered, “I can’t believe my parents would send their daughter into a place like that.”

Raelynn shrugged as she ate her mashed potatoes, “There were a lot of people in there, and I doubt I even saw a half of them. The camp was huge and it had a bunch of cabins and different activity points in different places I’ve never seen everyone in the same place at once. The point is, I don’t think there are a lot of parents who really care enough to find out what goes on in the camp, let alone stop it.”

Jay was starting to get annoyed, “It isn’t right! That place- they force you to pray and love god- but really, they’re worse than any gays!”

Becca leaned back slightly, Raelynn had found out by now that Becca hated it when anyone yelled, scared of it even. But when she spoke her voice was surprisingly even, “I know. It’s not fair. Which is why, when I’m older, I’m going to open up a camp that’s the complete opposite!”

“You will?” Kai asked, an astonished look on their face.

“Yes!” Becca was determined now. “Teens like us- they need to know they don’t have to be offended or worried or afraid about who they are or if they will be ‘punished’ for not ‘fixing themselves! When really- the only people who need fixing are homophobes!” Becca had started yelling, which in itself, was impressive to Raelynn.

A soft smile spread across both Raelynn and Kai’s faces, “You’ll do it,” Raelynn said, her smile widening, “I know you will. With that determination. You can do anything!”

Becca huffed and sat back down- Raelynn hadn’t even noticed that Becca was standing. Then again she wasn’t really tall… “That is-” Becca continued in a much softer tone, much closer to her normal voice, “If we ever can show our faces without being arrested.”

“Why would you be arrested?” Kai asked, perplexed. And Raelynn was confused too.

Becca glanced at her plate, “You don’t know?’ We killed someone- we actually killed someone.”

“What?” Raelynn’s eyes widened, “That consoler- is he-”

“Yes!” Becca’s voice broke, “We killed him! We're all murderers!!” 

Kai stood up in pushed in their chair, “No,” They stood behind Becca and wrapped their arms around her in a firm embrace, “It was self-defense. They were going to kill us.’

“Where did you find out about this?” Raelynn asked. The roles were quite reversed- usually, Raelynn would be comforting Becca and Kai would be shooting out questions.

“Th-the news…” Becca sobbed, “I found out about it on the news..”

“Ah,” came Jay’s reply, “I haven’t looked on the news in god knows how long.”

Raelynn turned to him and sighed, “I think we’re going to go upstairs and go to bed. Thank you for the food.” Then she helped Kai carry Becca up to their room.

Raelynn woke up a lot earlier than usual, though sleep still clogged her eyes she couldn’t help but feel as if something was off. She rubbed her eyes and stood. Downstairs- there was noise coming from downstairs.

“I’ll light this whole place up old man!” a high-pitched voice came wafting upstairs, “Just give me the horse and we’re fine!”

“You can’t have her,” Jay responded, through his tone of voice, Raelynn could tell her was gritting his teeth.

“Oh yes, I can! She’s worth- oh how much? 60,000 I think! A fine show horse like that! Give her to me unless you want to join your sister in hell!”

“She’s not a show horse you won't be able to get that much”

“But she could be! A purebred too! You took out money old man- I think it’s time we take something back! And don’t you dare sob about how that little pony is the only thing you have left of your husband! You little fa-” There came a crack, the sound of a wood plank hitting a human (how Raelynn knew that sound she would never tell)

Raelynn ran back into the room. “Becca! Kai! Wake up!” She shook each of them by the shoulders, “Something’s is happening downstairs?”

Kai blinked and sat up slowly, “What’s happ-” They both froze as everything happened at once. Smoke drifted upstairs, and gunshots could be heard echoing from downstairs.

“Shh!” Hissed Raelynn, “Becca are you-”

“I’m awake!’ Becca was sitting up on her bed, eyes wide, completely frozen.

“Okay…” Raelynn gestured for them to follow her, “We need to get out of here. Alive. And preferably in one piece. Understood?”

The gunshots were still sounding from downstairs. Raelynn’s ears rang as she dashed through the hallways and to the top of the stairs. 

"there's someone upstairs!!" Yelled a much deeper voice. Raelynn freaked out. She darted backward, bumping into both Becca and Kai. Kai had one of the duffel bags slung over their shoulder. 

Thank god, Raelynn thought, and without saying anything pulled three knives out of the duffle bag. Two of the switchblades and one that Jay had given Kai. 

She distributed them quickly among the other two. “Don’t be afraid to use these, okay?” She whispered.

Becca nodded. She was trembling. “O-Okay…” She whispered.

They heard the heavy footsteps of the man tramping upstairs. Raelynn smiled softly, feeling a tear escape down her face. “Don't be afraid. But- just in case…. Goodbye.” She was being dramatic, and a little cheesy as if she was in an old horror movie but she meant it. She turned fast enough to see a large man in a leather vest, black jeans, black combat boots, and a bandana point the gun at her. “Who are you?” He barked, “I thought old man Jay lived alone?”

Raelynn hid the knife in her pocket, slowly putting her hands up, “We’re just visitors who needed somewhere to stay. But I’d bet that wouldn’t be a problem if you wouldn't-” She winked. While really she was wincing inside at her terrible flirting. But still she knew this was important, she knew that despite the camp, her green eyes and lushous red locks were a sight that most boys loved- not to even mention her model-like form. . It disgusted her really. But her eyes did catch on something on his vest, an image of two chained-up knives. It made her break her act briefly. A gang symbol maybe???

The other man, probably the one with the high-pitched annoying voice- as he had a large bruise blossoming on the side of his face. “I took care of Jay.” He sneered, “let’s go find the horse.

Kai shot to their feet, “No! I won’t let you take the horses!”

“What-” the big man was shocked as Raelynn and Becca pulled knives from their pockets and tried to push past the two men.

“Wee’re not lettin’ you go anyyywhere,” The smaller man sneered, catching Kai by their hands and pushing them to the floor.

“Let me go!” Kai struggled and tried to kick at the two men, but they held her fast.

“Go get the other two!!” Said the smaller man angrily,

“Okay,” Large man lumbered toward Raelynn and Becca, which they both easily dodged.

They all slipped past the men and darted down the stairs, “Where’s Jay?!” Becca yelled.

Kai, who was turning into the living room stopped, “Here- he’s right here-” Raelynn skidded to a stop beside them.

Gunshots. Jay was lying on the ground, a gun gripped loosely in his hand, and two bullet wounds- one on his leg and the other on his arm.

“Jay!” Kai dropped down next to him, “What happened??”

Jay still wore his signature impish grin, “I got shot. Multiple times.”

“I can see that,” Kai gritted through their teeth, “I mean, why did they do this? And who are they?”

“A gang called the Chained Coyotes Brotherhood- a stupid name, really. I stole from them a few months ago- I needed the money, and I had beef with the leader. Who is now six feet under but- now the rest of the gang is out to get me--” He got interrupted by a coughing fit. “An you just take raven and go?” He asked, staring at Kai.

Kai hesitated, “I can…. But, Are you sure?”

“Yes,” he definitely sounded sure to Raelynn, “Take her and maybe- maybe they'll. Just. just go. Please. Take her.”

“What about holly and Flickers?” Desperation was creeping into Kai’s voice.

“I’ll call someone to take them. I know people. Raven is the one you need to take with you. Please!!”

The footsteps were coming down the stairs. “O-Okay…” Kai said, and the three of them stood. Raelynn casting one final regretful look at Jay before rushing out of the room.

They ran down the path, hearing more yelling from behind them. “Go over there and grab the tack labeled raven!” Kai yelled, pointing down another path. “I’ll get her!”

Becca and Raelynn obeyed. They continued rushing down the path until they ran into the large building next to a riding ring. “Damn.” Becca muttered, “Jay has got to be rich with all this land. Did he really need the money he stole?”

Raelynn ignored her and started taking the bridle and saddle off the hooks. “Grab that pad and some boots. I want raven’s feet to be protected. We don’t need an injured horse.”

Becca nodded and scooped up the saddle pad as well as some front and back boots and even shoved some polos into her duffel bag.

They both ran out and met Kai who was running down the path with a large black horse in hand.

“C’mon!” Kai yelled, “Tack her up! Quick!”

Raelynn and Becca set to work, throwing on all the tack as if their life depended on it- which it did.

That led them to a problem. “She’s large…” Becca started.

“But not large enough to carry all three of us,” Raelynn finished.

Kai looked really worried.

Becca sighed, “You two go. I don’t know how to ride anyway- look, I’ll distract them and you guys go.”

“No!” Raelynn shoved Becca near Raven, “You go, I have the better knife- and I’m older. I’m less likely to be stabbed.”

Becca scowled and started running away, “BECCA!” Raelynn screamed and tried to chase after her but Kai grabbed her arm.

“Raelynn. Listen. BECCA MEET US BY THE ROAD!!” kai pulled Raelynn towards Raven. “You won’t do any good. Get on and we can go. We’ll meet Becca somewhere. Okay?”

Raelynn nodded numbly and mounted Raven after Kai. “Okay,” SHe said softly. “Let’s go.” She wrapped her arms around Kai’s waist and tried not to think about Becca running into danger- and possible death- all by herself. 

They galloped down the path, Raelynn hiding her face desperately in Kai’s shirt, willing the defining gunshots to go away. But the next noise she heard would give her nightmares forever. A scream. Sharp and cold. Cutting through the air like a knife, Making Raelynn sit up straight and stare unseeingly out into the darkness, tears pricking at the edges of her eyes, “Becca-” She whispered hoarsely. “That was Becca. Wasn’t it.”

Kai didn’t answer but they still goaded Raven into picking up speed. Raelynn tightened her grip around Kai’s waist. “Becca- no-” She sobbed. “Becca’s dead!”

“Shhh,” Kai murmured, “It’s okay. Becca might not be dead. She could have just been grabbed or something.” Raelynn sobbed harder, her tears wetting the Back of Kai’s sweater. But Kai didn’t seem to care- they just kept murmuring comforting words as Raven galloped underneath them.

Becca was at the road where they agreed to meet. And for a second Raelynn almost asked why she had screamed. But then she saw it. The large cut on her shin and the bullet wound on her arm. Becca was leaning heavily on a tree. A soft smile appeared on her face when she saw Kai and Realynn slowing to a trot in front of her. “The men are gone,” Her voice, her quiet voice, was even quieter than usual. She winced as she hobbled near them.

“I stabbed one of them-- The others- they ran,” She laughed dryly as she flipped out a blood-soaked switchblade.

“Did you-” Raelynn was off of Raven in an instant. “Did you kill him?”

Becca grinned, it was the grin of a madman. Not of the innocent 14-year-old girl. “I think so,” She chuckled at the thought of it,  "There was so much blood….” Her eyes began to water. “And I just- I just ran. And those guys- the yells- the screams- the the everything.”

Raelynn covered Becca in a hug, “I'm sorry-” She whispered, “I am so so sorry that I had to drag you into this.”

“No-” Becca’s voice was choked with sobs, “it’s not that. I’m glad I met two people like you- I’m glad we escaped together…. I- it’s just- that way that this is changing me is scary…”

Raelynn pulled Becca closer, “I know, shh, It’s okay. Just breathe. Kai. In my duffel bag, I have some bandages from Jay. We need them. Desperately.”

Becca began to whimper as Raelynn gently applied pressure to the cut on her shin, as that was bleeding more somehow. Then something else caught her eye. “Oh no-” Raelynn breathed, there was a huge bruised gash on Becca's side, and another on her back.

Becca bit her lip and whispered, “That hurts…”

“I know.” Raelynn cursed, “What happened? Did you get trampled?”

“He-” Becca stuttered, “He, the larger man, he tackled me after he stabbed my leg.”

Kai crouched down next to the two of them. “Damn-” They whispered, “They got you good. Didn’t they?”

Becca huffed a shallow laugh. “Yeah,” Even her voice sounded like it was wincing.

“Here-” Kai handed Raelynn a roll of gauze and medical tape.

Raelynn took it and began wrapping up Becca’s leg. Becca squeezed her eyes shut, mouth moving but not making any noise.

“Arm,” Raelynn demanded. Becca handed her arm to Raelynn with no hesitation. The gunshot wound was probably the least damaging out of them. It was barely a graze. It did, however, still bleed an awful lot.

Kai seemed to have to take Becca’s other hand and was trying to calm her down as Raelynn began trying her best to clean out the giant gash on her side with water and wrap it up. It was a large task- as the gash was deep and incredibly filthy.

It took a long to get all the blood off their hands. And even longer- out of their memories. But Becca was standing again in no time. Leaning heavily on Kai and Raelynn. Kai grabbed Raven’s reign. “You ride Raven, don’t worry about steering or anything- I’ll take care of that just focus on not falling off. Okay?”

Becca nodded and hissed with pain as she mounted. It was eerily quiet on the road. No cars, no animals. Which was strange, Raelynn thought, there are no animals in such a place lacking of humans.
“I don’t think this place is safe…” Kai muttered.

“No,” Raelynn replied dryly, “It’s not.”

Kai glared at her half-heartedly, “I mean. I feel as if somethings about to jump on us any minute now….” Kai stopped suddenly, “What’s that?” They asked, their voice dangerously quiet.

“What?” Raelynn inched closer to Kai and scanned the surroundings. “What is it??”

“Nothing,” Kai shot her a grin, “Just wanted to keep you on your toes.”

“KAI!” Raelyn yelled incredulity, “Don’t DO that!!!”

Kai ignored her and started humming some song. Raelynn huffed and crossed her arms, feeling really annoyed that Kai would do that,

The darkness was starting to lift- Raelynn, Becca, Kai, and Raven had been on this trail for hours. It was probably only had been about 2 or 3 hours since they had all woken up in the early hours of the morning, but the events of this morning had been stretched on for so long- every second felt like a stress-filled hour. It was torture.

Finally, Raelynn collapsed on the side of the road, feeling as if she would have a heart attack or something if they walked any longer. Kai looked at her and narrowed their eyebrows. “Raelynn,” Their voice was cold. “At least wait until we have a cover.”

Raelynn glared and stood up shakily again. Kai rolled their eyes and pulled Raven and Becca off of the road. “Let’s find someplace to rest then,” They muttered, but their face showed relief.

Raelynn knew that Kai, despite being the younger one, always felt as if they had to take care of everyone else- and would absolutely never show weakness such as hunger or tiredness if they could help it. Kai helped Becca off Raven, then tied the horse up to a tree, then removed all the tack they could. They removed the bridle and put on the halter they still had in the bag, Raven hadn’t even noticed that Kai had grabbed a saddle bag filled with horse stuff. 

“Do we have any food?” Becca asked. Flopping on the ground, wincing.

Raelynn shrugged regretfully, “I’m an idiot. I packed bandages and clothes and everything- but no food.”

Becca barked out a laugh. “We’re all idiots then- we need someone to remind us that humans need to eat I guess.”

Kai sat down next to her, “Oh stop your whining. You should’ve packed food.”

“Just slipped my mind I guess,” Becca shrugged, then she leaned back. “Damn- I’m starving.”

Raelynn hummed in acknowledgment and sat down next to the others. “Tomorrow we might be able to find food. Maybe some small animals or berries or something… maybe we could rob a store.”

Becca scrunched up her face in disgust, “Eww,” She hissed, “We’d have to butcher the poor thing.”

Raelynn smiled, assuming she was talking about the small animals and not any humans that may or may not be in the store. Kai was quiet, “Ew is right,” They finally said, breaking the silence, “I’m not killing any animals myself if my life depended on it.”

“Your life does depend on it,” Raelynn pointed out.

“Oh shush,” Kai replied, rolling their eyes, “At this point, I might just take the possibly poisonous berries.”

“No!” Becca squeaked, “Don't kill yourself Kai!!”

Kai laughed sarcastically, “Sure. Becca. I won’t.” Becca shifted closer to Kai and hugged them.

“Oh no!!” She sobbed jokingly, “Raelynn help!! Kai’s going to die!”

Raelynn threw a smile at Becca, “Let them die!” When truly inside, she was panicking. What if Kai had actually died?? What would she do then?

“Raelynn-” Becca shook her arm. “Are you okay? You just spaced out!”

Raelynn sighed and closed her eyes, “Yeah. I’m fine, just really tired.”

Kai nodded and slung an arm around Raelynn, “Even Raven is asleep,” They pointed out. Raven might not have been asleep, but she was standing with her head down and eyes closed.

“Doesn’t mean we have to be asleep!” Becca said she seemed full of energy- but unable to use it due to the numerous injuries on her body.

“Quiet…” Kai murmured, they seemed to be trying to fall asleep. “Not everyone got to ride a horse on the way here. We had to walk y’know..’

Becca huffed at this, “I’m pretty sure that I’m the only one who got stabbed. And shot. Multiple times.”

Kai had nothing to say to this, so they just ignored her.

Raelynn smiled down at Kai, “Don’t worry ‘bout Kai’s mood Becca. They can be a huge grumpy cat when it comes to sleep and hunger.”

Becca pouted, “Doesn't mean you have to be so rude..”

“I’m not being rude,” Kai’s voice was muffled by the arm they had slung over their face. “You’re just so loud.”

“Exactly,” Becca poked Kai’s side, “Rude.”

“‘M not rude!” Kai protested, rolling onto their side and away from Becca.

Raelynn huffed out a laugh. But it was time to play the big sister. “Becca. You need sleep. Stop bothering Kai-” Becca pouted, “We all know that if we don’t fall asleep right now you’ll be whining all day tomorrow.”

“I will not!” Becca protested.

“Yes.” Kai said, “yes. Yes, you will. Now go to bed. Now. Raelynn’s the oldest. She can order you around.”

Becca grinned, “That means she can order you around?”

“Yes,” Raelynn snorted at this, Kai would never let her order them around. They were probably just agreeing so Becca would calm down.

“Good,” Raelynn said, “Now we can all fall asleep.”

So, a little bit of Raven's backstory for all of yall non horse humans. Raven is a 'failed' dressage horse. Meaning she was trained to do a sport called Dressage, but it didn't work out. She was trained using an abusive seesawing method which hurts the horse (I'm not going to explain it, since I'm not a dressage person and don't know how), this is why Jay says to just let her lead, because if not she might buck rear What I imagine Raven to look like

2