Chapter 1: Trouble in Train
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Options seem endless. I wonder what I will become."

 

Five hours passed since Max said these words. It is getting dark outside. Sun is on just at the edge of the horizon, ready to disappear, creating a blend of purplish black and bright orange where it stands. The train only stopped twice throughout the journey to pick up more passengers. Currently, the train carries students and school staff, but there are some other people too. Mostly travelers unlucky enough to stumble upon this day.

 

Max, who caged himself into his cabin, is unaware of what is happening inside the train. He didn't leave his room except for one bathroom visit. The teen boy spent most of his childhood getting homeschooled by his parents. Max didn't interact with people his age. To be precise, he didn't have much chance to do so.

 

Like most people his age, he wants to interact with others, and when offered, he gladly accepts it too, but his past got some habits stuck in him, like spending his free time practicing, despite not needing to.

 

And while students inside the train were talking with each other, playing board games, or just hanging around the social cabins, Max was unaware of all of that. Too focused on the book he currently reads, away from the world.

 

But with a sudden slam to his door, Max jumped up from the couch, immediately pulled his wand out, and placed his other hand on his bag right over the box.

 

A girl's scream followed the sudden slamming then he heard two things falling to the train's floor.

 

Max moved far as he could from the door. For privacy reasons, cabin doors didn't have any windows, and he was blind to what was happening outside. "If it was an accident, the falling sound and scream should have blended. Something else is happening outside." He is getting anxious.

 

"Help!" He heard a loud voice, presumably of the girl who screamed. "Please! Stop that man."

 

"Curiosity kills the cat." Max slid his bag under the couch and carefully approached the door, just enough to hear what was happening outside.

 

Heavy footsteps slowly approached his location and stopped right in front of his door. Max's aimed his wand at the door. In a possible case of attack, he was ready to use an offensive spell to disarm the attacker.

 

Max reached the gate and quickly opened it.

 

A tall and menacing man was directing a staff toward a girl lying on the floor, holding a briefcase. The girl is wearing a sweater with the same emblem as the one on Max's coat. She looked terrified and was on the brink of crying.

 

There was a small crowd on both ends of the corridor, but no one was doing anything. They are looking rather curious about the interaction between the man and the girl.

 

Max kept his cool. "May I learn the reason for all that happening, mister?" He was ready to attack the suspicious man in front of him.

 

The man didn't even turn his head. "I suppose I owe you an explanation after all this fuss finally exploded in front of your door." Still keeping his direction toward the girl, the man quickly pulled out a badge from his pocket and put it back after showing it to Max for a brief second. "I am a Warden, and this little miss is a criminal. I caught her with dangerous illegal equipment."

 

Max lowered his tool. "I am sorry, sir. I will not disturb your work." Max took a step back and put his wand into his pocket but didn't leave his grip on it in case anything happened.

 

Wardens are some of the most powerful magicians in the world. They are respected by everyone, despite how mysterious they are. Being a Warden means that you show a significant skill, both in magical theory and practice. Also, most, if not all, Wardens are war veterans who fought head-to-head against forces of Forbidden Arts on the frontlines back in the days of the war.

 

"But, sir." Max looked at the man. "I know I might be overstepping my boundaries. After all, you are at work, but may I learn your name? I want to tell this story to my friends, but I don't want to miss any details."

 

The man turned his head towards Max with a smile. "Of course, everything for a fan. My name is Ter-

 

Max quickly drew his wand and shouted. "Ful-tere!"  A thunderbolt got shot out from the boy's wand's tip with a roar and zapped the man in front of him. The impact threw the Warden and caused him to hit the wall behind him and fall. "Ful-tere, Tenere." Max began closing the distance between himself and the man. "Who are you?" His wand was directly aiming toward the man's head.

 

"Shit!" The man shouted and leaped forward. His recovery speed was so fast Max was dumbfounded by it.

 

"Dimittis!" Max tried to release his magic, but the man managed to knock him away and caused the boy to miss the spell.

 

"There is not only one but two criminals on this train! To think I got caught in your ambush like this!" The menacing man shouted to the crowd. "Everyone move away and leave this to professionals." There was a devilish glare in the man's pupils.

 

A mysterious voice of a woman suddenly echoed through the ears of passengers around the scene. "He is right. Everyone leave fast as you can. A real professional is here. Despite being a bit late."

 

The menacing man began looking around, trying to understand where the voice came from or who the voice came from, but he was answerless. "Who are-

 

"Vidementum, Motushibere." She cast a spell with a soft voice, and in an instant, a blinding white light covered an area 50 meters in diameter. Blindness only lasted for two seconds then everyone opened their eyes without a problem, but a woman tall as the train situation guard was now standing next to Max. "Magicae Catenis." Several blue, glowing translucent chains appeared from thin air and tied the criminal. She didn't even use a wand.

 

"Magnificent." Max didn't manage to hold his mouth after witnessing the power of a real Warden. "Not only the radius of the magic but its effects as well. You both blinded and locked the limbs of everyone while casting teleportation on yourself. And did that without the help of a wand or staff. That's why Wardens are on a different level than most magicians." He let the magic nerd inside him talk a bit.

 

She looked at Max. "Good job for you too. You are a smart one, kid. Warden's golden rule! Never tell your name." She smiled with approval. "You baited this garbage with such a simple question, then attacked when his guard was down. Not many can think that in that short time. Also, you used a spell not many of your age know. Plus, throwing a grown-up magician like that is something not many students your age can do." The real Warden turned towards the criminal, chained and lying on the ground. "Coming to you, your friend gave a fight but eventually got captured. Everyone!" She pulled out a badge and showed it to the crowds on both sides of the corridor for a couple of seconds. "Problem solved. I will personally take suspects to custody for interrogation."

 

If anyone other than a Warden had done such a short explanation, the crowd would most likely already exploded in anger, but when you stand against one of the world's finest, you cannot even dare to open your mouth.

 

Warden cast another spell, this time without opening her mouth, and teleported herself and the criminal away from the scene.

 

Max immediately moved towards the female student, still lying on the ground because of the shock, and offered his hand. "Are you okay?" He asked.

 

After a short hesitation, the girl dropped her suitcase, grabbed Max's hands, and let him pull her up. "Thank you, if it wasn't for you, I could have been hurt real bad or even died." She dusted her clothes and grabbed her suitcase. "Oh, sorry me, Violet Snowbell." She offered a hard hand. "Thank you for saving me."

 

Max grabbed her hand. "Max Clawsky, I am glad I managed to help you."

 

"So, Max, I've never seen you on the train before? And considering that little magic show of yours, I cannot ignore someone like you. Are you new to DragonScale? And about that handshake, we can cut it short."

 

"Oh, my bad." Max quickly pulled back his hand and diverted his eyes in shame. "Well, to answer your question. Yes, I am a transfer student, and actually, I've been homeschooled till this year, meaning this is also my first time in an actual school." 

 

"Well, look at the rare case we got in our hands. Max, I will say that again, but I am thankful to you for helping me, but I hate being in debt to people. So, let me pay it back to you somehow."

 

Max began shaking his hands. "No, no. I just sensed danger from that guy. You owe me nothing."

 

"Yeah, it won't work that way. Well, as a show of gratitude, I will give you a train tour! Also, if you are coming to DragonScale, making friends will be hard for you as an outsider. After all, when you start a school, you go there till graduation unless something extreme happens, which means almost every student knows each other for years. You may be left friendless without a guiding hand, and I cannot let that happen to my savior! So! Come with me."

 

Max was surprised by this energetic girl's aura. As if she wasn't the one on the brink of being broken by fear just a minute ago. "What a strange character." Max thought to himself. "But taking her offer is better than not taking it. I want friends." He then added.

 

Meanwhile, Violet was thinking something completely different. In her mind. "Looking at the coat he is wearing, I say he is in ninth grade, which means he is the same age as me. He is physically strong and can use powerful

offensive magics quickly. And if he is a transfer student, his grades must be great too. I will not let this perfect tool slip away from my hands! With someone like him, we can show how superior our class is in the end-year games!" She planned to use this newfound ally in competitive games played at the end of each year.

2