Prologue
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"... And these are the winning lottery numbers..." said the announcer as the numbers were displayed at the bottom of the TV screen.

A young man could be seen gaping in disbelief as he repeatedly stared between the ticket he held on his right hand and the numbers displayed on the TV screen. He then composed himself after a few seconds whilst reigning in the urge to scream in jubilation. 

"Calm down Enosh, you don't want want to alert the whole house of this fortune yet." he muttered to himself. 

Enosh quickly hid the lottery ticket in his pocket and stood up from the couche and hurriedly went to his room. Upon entering his room, he locked the door and then threw himself onto his bed to think of his next step. 

'Now I need to find a way to claim my winnings as quietly as possible so as to avoid any unnecessary troubles that might arise if it is discovered that I have an unclaimed winning ticket on my person.' Enosh thought. 

As a young adult who has some experience in life, Enosh knew very well the troubles that would follow once it is found out that he won the lottery. Even more so since he is in possession of the unclaimed winning ticket. Enosh perfectly understood the evil of human nature that is aroused by the scent of money. He is after all a human himself. 

'I won't feel safe travelling all the way to the bus/train station with the winning ticket on my person and I most certainly will not even attempt Uber or anything of the kind.' he thought. 

It has to be said that Enosh is from 'South Africa', the Southernmost country in Africa. And he lives in one of the the most dangerous towns in said country, located in the Zulu kingdom(KwaZulu-Natal), that town being 'Umlazi'. The crime rate is so high in that place such that if you want to take a selfie outside of your 'unfenced' yard, it is an unspoken rule that you do so at 'your own risk' as there is at least a 90% chance that you will lose your smart phone that day. 

It is not unusual for one who leaves the 'safety' of their house with anything of value in their possession to be suddenly stopped by an unsuspecting individual who then proceeds to kindly ask you to handover all things of value that you have in your possession, clothes included if you are wearing brand named clothing. 

Where such individuals come from and how they can tell if someone has something of value on their person is a mystery.  

The young man's paranoia therefore though sounding a bit overboard is perfectly justified. As some of these individuals do also pose as Uber drivers (they're everywhere). So better safe than. 

'The only safe thing to do then is have someone I trust drive me to the facilities where I can claim my winnings.' he concluded.  

With that thought in mind, Enosh reached for the pillow on his bed and stuffed his hand below it. Retracting his hand with his cell phone in hand, he proceeded to dial the number of the trusted person he had on mind. 

Before he could hit the 'call' button though, he gained lucidity. 

"Oh darn it!!!" he shouted in frustration, "I'm dreaming aren't I?" he said in annoyance. 

Then he cried in resignation, "Why God Why?" 

The cause for this is simple. Whilst the dream is still ongoing, he now had lucidity. With that he now noticed the few oddities of his situation. 

First off, he is in a "house". Secondly the announcement from the "TV". Third, his "bedroom" within the house. Forth, he "supposedly" lives with other people in said house, likely family. 

In reality Enosh has none of those things. He lives in a shack that he built himself. TV? He only has access to a stereo radio on his R100 (around 5.5 USD) buttoned cellphone. Bedroom? The whole shack is just a single room on its own, the only purpose it serves is for protection against the elements and a place to lay his head when he needs rest. Bed? luxury for the rich, he sleeps on a 'Bamboo rug' worth R70 (around $3.85 in US dollars). Family? In his 'dreams'. None of that. So his frustration can be understood. 

The most obvious sign of him being in a dream though is the somewhat opaque ambience, "Oh well, since this is a dream I might as well enjoy myself while it lasts." muttered Enosh after he calmed down. 

'mhm, What will it be this time...' he thought. 

After coming to a decision, Enosh then spoke into the air, "KFC, Lasagna and Milk." 

As soon he spoke, a wooden tray was set on the side of his "bed" with KFC, Lasagna and a pint of Milk on it. Without wasting any time Enosh inwardly gave thanks for the food and dug in and enjoyed himself. One can tell by the fluidity of his actions that Enosh has quite some experience when it comes to control in this situation. It's almost as if he regularly experiences such dreams. 

Now while this is somewhat frustrating for him, it at least also serves as a release from the harshness of reality. A harmless escape if you will. 

As soon as he finished up eating and drank up the pint of Milk, the dream ended and Enosh slowly opened his eyes waking up...

0