Chapter 1: The First Impression
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Is this real?” Rudi asked himself in his confusion. In front of him was the view he could not believe was able to be felt. The reason for that was because this was inside a game.

 

Yes, a game. Although the scenery that consisted of several houses with a chimney was there, it felt like the real building since its shape and its surface texture was so close to reality.

 

“Okay, now what I have to do after arriving in this place? Let’s see…oh, right. Friend’s List.” Rudi opened Friend’s List window and it appeared in front of him. But it was empty since this feature did not carry his account’s friend list to the game.

 

“Manually search for friend…” Rudi thought about a name and it bore its result by showing it with a notable name and any attribute related to the name.

 

[Tono-Magician Apprentice]

 

When that appeared, Rudi checked his characteristic and a panel showed itself in front of him. In it contained a lot about his current status as well as his job.

 

Rudi- No Job   Level: 1

Health: 26                      Mana: 23

Title: -

Skill:-

Strength : 5                 Intelligence: 5            Willpower: 5

Vitality    : 5                 Dexterity    : 5

 

“Oh, right. Tono logged in earlier than me so the interval between his login and me is used to get a favorable job. But then how should I get my job?” Rudi pondered when something struck his body.

 

He just entered the game and he still took his time to adapt to the change this game brought to his whole perception of a game. For Rudi, the game was meant to be enjoyed and it was different from his life where he had to take things rather seriously.

 

“Uhm…hey, what’s wrong?” Rudi noticed that the one responsible for that something struck his body was none other than the little boy with a cloak and a hood covered his head who had fallen right beside him.

 

“…” but the boy did not respond to his question. Rudi’s interest piqued and he had decided to dig a bit deeper. First, it was because this was a game world where he had to see how far it could go and second the boy in front of him was people referred to as Non-Playable Characters, the creature that lived inside the game.

 

‘How should I do this?’ Rudi felt the stare a few other players gave him. The difference between the player and NPC is that their name was colored differently.

 

For players, it usually white-colored while NPC was green so it became quickly noticeable. Rudi now saw with his own eyes that the information was true but he felt that this game also had its unique playing methods.

 

Besides that, Rudi could only saw their names, nothing more. He felt that a certain skill was necessary for additional information to be revealed.

 

‘Interaction with the NPC…how much importance is that to get the quest they have?’ thought Rudi as the boy suddenly tugged his hand.

 

“What is it?” Rudi’s character wore simple villager clothes, shoes, long pants and cow leather gloves. It was the basic equipment for a new player and his weapon was just a wooden stick. Worse, he still did not receive a quest to get his first job and get status acquisition benefits from it.

 

But more importantly, was how to get the quest from the related person. Now was the perfect experiment he needed to get his answer.

 

“Brother…no, I can’t.” the boy looked at Rudi and he hesitated. Rudi could not believe his eyes, he saw the boy tried to do something but decided not to tell him.

 

‘So the NPC in this world…is almost no difference from how human interact?’ at least from his current observation, he understood that point. Rudi decided to press further since this was his first time and he would not lose anything even if he wanted to. After all, he was just logged in.

 

“Ah, yes. I just arrived at this village and still don’t know about the world so you thought that your problem will only get me into crisis. Then how about them…can they solve your problem?” Rudi was surprised to hear that coming from his mouth. He pointed towards other players that already received their job and already level five on average. Some of them already reached level ten.

 

The boy shook his head, saying in a low voice “No, they cannot. Ah…!” before he sprinted out of Rudi’s sight.

 

Because of this, some players who interested and had the capability decided to follow the boy while Rudi stood still. He frowned at how the circumstance also factored in the progress to get the quest.

 

A minute passed but Rudi stood in the same position before he felt a chill on his spine. He turned around only to find several NPC with a huge pressure coming to him.

 

The pressure felt like real since Rudi could see that his body was shaking and his legs became soft. But this was a game, he could not show the same attitude in the real world to the game he wanted to enjoy so with his will and determination, he tried to withstand the pressure.

 

‘Wait a minute, why is everybody on the side of the street?’ Rudi realized that his position was unfavorable. Furthermore, those NPCs wore beautiful and strong equipment from their weapons to their armor.

 

“Who is this insolent person?” a short-haired, blond man moved forward and said in displeasure. His eyes were sharp and Rudi locked his sight with him.

 

“He probably distracted. Now that he noticed, he must be so shocked his legs failed him. What a weakling.” A bald man replied.

 

“Now you noticed us. Please move aside.” The voice came from the one with a long, white-haired man. He looked old and his voice showed it that his age affected his body but Rudi felt the most dangerous vibe from this old man and this is the first time Rudi felt so much, not that it matter since Rudi just logged in a few minutes ago.

 

“Captain, he cannot move because he is too scared and his body stiffed. How will he move?” the blond young man disdainfully poked his finger at Rudi’s forehead.

 

‘Move already! This is embarrassing. Ah…no way.’ Rudi checked his status window and in it, he found something he should have expected.

 

[You are affected by opponent’s willpower which overwhelms you. Afflicted by stun for five seconds due to the difference in stats!]

 

‘The debuff effect…how effective it is. But is it come from the difference in my primary status and that old man?’ Rudi had so many questions since this was the first time he played this kind of game.

 

Yes, Rudi had no experience in this kind of game setting and Tono was the person who persuaded him to play this kind of game. Sadly, their starting point was different and they were separated.

 

[The duration of stun is wearing off, the body returned to its normal state.] Rudi relieved to hear that and moved away reluctantly. In his heart though, he felt like this was no difference in his reality.

 

“That’s how someone like you should act. Let’s search for that troublesome brat again. He should be still nearby.”

 

Rudi took a short glance at their names before he lowered his head again. He did not know their levels and status but it was higher than him. He had no way to resist them as he had no capability whatsoever and other people did not want to get in their way so Rudi had to follow them for now.

 

The blond, short-haired young man was named Valren. The bald man was Roaldshine and that old man was Krutcher.

 

They continued their walk and Rudi could hear a sigh from almost everyone when they disappeared from his view. He bet that they experienced the same as him, they got stunned and unable to move but Rudi was sure their duration was a lot shorter than him.

 

‘But that boy earlier…for now, I better follow them. I don’t have anything to lose anyway.’ The curiosity Rudi had pushed him to go after the NPC.

 

The village Rudi in was Barun Village, a rural and the most backwater place in the game. Rudi did not care too much since his main objective was to become a player that farms and sells items in the game, gaining profits from it.

 

Since he knew the boring and repetitive of farming items, he might as well do something exciting.

 

“Hmm. The others followed the three NPC from a distance. They are really scared of them. Oh, well. Add him as a friend first, almost forget that.” Rudi then selected the profile of his friend’s name and send a friend request.

 

Barun Village was part of the William Kingdom, located the far north of its capital Strato. In the capital was a level three player whose job was a Magician Apprentice and got a basic set of equipment for that specific job.

 

“Rudi? He finally entered the game. Looks like we can finally kick the ball and play together. Okay then, let’s accept his request and asked where he is.” Tono accepted the request and send a chat to Rudi.

 

[Tono]: Where are you? I don’t see you here in Strato.

[Rudi]: Of course, I am in Barun Village. I just entered the game but got caught up in something interesting. Perhaps it is related to a quest? I don’t know but I decide to see it. A pity we cannot meet sooner, tell me if you have an idea to meet.

[Tono]: Wait, don’t close yet! Tell me the situation first.

 

Then Rudi told Tono the situation. Tono understood but he worried for Rudi to get in the things of other players. Since Rudi was the one who had the potential to drive the quest, Tono felt he should give Rudi a bit of advice.

 

[Tono]: Speaking about you, you don’t have anything right? Even you don’t have a job changing quest. First and the important thing in this game is the difficulty of a quest. The difficulty is ranked based on its risk, reward and the circumstance the quest is in. The rank from the lowest to the highest is F and then to A. As for S rank quest and above…well only the world rankers probably can get and do that.

[Rudi]: Is that so? I don’t know about the quest difficulty since I am new to this kind of game and the NPC boy who interacts with me is reluctant to ask for help. That is the reason I can’t see its rank.

 

Rudi walked leisurely because he knew that other players went in the same direction as him. They saw this event as an opportunity to get something even if it was just its trash, it was more valuable for them.

 

“Outside Barun Village is Pine Tree Forest. The average monster level there should be level one to five. But those three NPC is so high level I doubt that it is their final destination. So where exactly are they going to?”

 

That was Rudi’s first concern. His second concern was whether he capable of doing an impossible. Furthermore, some players could become a nuisance and would kill him to get the desired item.

 

‘My low level and status probably will be the best insurance against those kinds of players.’ Rudi convinced himself that his jobless status and low level would not even worth any attention to those with a high level.

 

-

 

Outskirts of Pine Tree Forest, a boy moved from tree to tree at an astonishing speed that the average players in Barun Village could not catch his movement speed.

 

“Those three is not my friend. I want some lending hand but…I can’t let anyone involved in my mess.” The boy remembered that he bumped into someone who just arrived at the village. The boy knew that the young man was weak and even did not have any abilities but that man noticed him and asked in concern.

 

At least the boy knew that there was someone like him in the world. And the last thing that made the boy remembered the young man was because that young man was just like a group of people that suddenly appeared in the world and could revive.

 

The only cost of their revives was their reduced strength. The boy wanted to take advantage of that ability but he could not bring himself to do that.

 

“Why is it that I cannot do that? I don’t like them…they are the ones who make me suffer…yes…they are the ones who brought unnecessary destruction upon this world.” The boy then voiced his thought, “Both those that chased after me, the ones who hunted me and the so-called people that loved by this worlds itself, they abused their power all the same!”

 

The boy’s destination was the cave hidden inside Pine Tree Forest. Of course, to get to that place required certain luck and some item. His cloak was one of them, the cloak that could hide his identities was also used as a shortcut to reach that cave.

 

“Quick, his trail still lingering. If it disappears, I will blame you two for incompetence!” Krutcher ordered Valren and Roaldshine to hasten their moves. Although they were level 80 Warrior, they barely reached the boy’s tail.

 

As for Krutcher, he could see the lingering trail left by humans and animals. He used this to keep in check for the boy’s position but sadly this time too they could not catch up to him.

 

“Captain, there are some people following us. What should we do?” Roaldshine asked Krutcher.

“Well, since they are the so-called people loved by the world that can revive countless times, they might as well use them. Of course, we need to tell them a bit about what that brat has but we exaggerated it a bit.” Krutcher replied and already thought about this plan since they departed from Barun Village.

“As expected of our captain. We will ‘generously’ reward them if they catch that brat, that is if they survived in the first place.” Valren smiled and it only grew when he thought about the prospect it would bear.

 

As for Rudi, he followed behind other players who went to the Pine Tree Forest. Their jobs varied and their equipment was rather flashy and good looking, at least better than his equipment.

 

But Rudi stopped after he saw a crowd appear on his sight. Rudi faintly saw those three NPC talked to the players and thought, ‘What are they doing?’

 

Rudi honestly felt scared. The realism this game gave to him was almost identical to his real world and it could be considered a second world for humanity. That was why he contacted Tono again.

 

[Rudi]: This Virtual Reality game…how ‘real’ is it?

[Tono]: According to its developer and creator, its realism is the first to be achieved in our decades of advance gaming. The NPC is identical to us humans if you ask me and it is rather scary. I mean one bad word and they reply to me with a curse word. Believe it or not, I did that and I will not repeat it ever again.

[Rudi]: Then they can act like how people in reality act, they can think, innovate and develop is that the right answer?

[Tono]: Yes. That is why you need to be like in reality, be careful.

[Rudi]: Thanks

 

Rudi heaved. He did not want to move to the crowd if the NPC could act like a real human. The reason for that was he could see the glint in those NPC’s eyes and it was up to no good.

 

And then he felt something on his back. A tip of a dagger was placed to his neck and Rudi could not do much for that as he had nothing to steal for he had nothing of value.

 

“What exactly do you want from me?” but Rudi knew the person wanted to do something on whatever it was doing and he could only ask.

“I saw you since your sudden appearance up to now. Can you please help me?”

 

Then Rudi saw the background that previously the pine trees now had something it should not. The black shadow appeared out of thin air in front of him as the dagger the shadow held was exactly on Rudi’s neck.

 

“Help? With what exactly? I just come here due to curiosity and I admit that I am weak. I probably cannot be of any help. You better ask someone stronger than me.” Rudi considered it but he led the conversation so that it left a room for him to refuse.

 

“No, the problem can only be solved by you in the current situation. Please help me.” The shadow pleaded Rudi in a low and sincere voice. A notification appeared in front of Rudi and his face could not contain his shock.

 

Mysterious Circumstances

Quest Rank: SSS

The boy. Three strong warriors and an unknown assassin appeared and they connected somehow.

Objective:

-Help the assassin in his task

-Find the truth of the circumstances

-The fate of the boy you encounter may change the world so your relationship with the boy matters to the quest rewards.

Quest Acceptance Rewards: Concealment Cloak (Growth)

Quest Rewards: ???

Quest Failure Penalty: -One side of the party will hunt you throughout the continent

                                         -In the worst-case scenario, both sides will join hands to truly exterminate you

 

‘What the…what is this?’ Rudi could not believe his sight. The quest he got was of the highest difficulties and the shadow asked him out of anyone. He was just a level one, nobody and yet this happened.

 

“Why me?” Rudi already wanted to reject it. Hunted by the player was usual but by NPC too, its demerits outweigh its benefit for Rudi.

“Because I already said the reason. You are the most suitable person to go within this situation.”

“Alright, there is nothing for me to lose personally. But you will surely know that I will be hunted by a large community in power, right. So where should we go?” Rudi sighed before he said it.

“Before that, I have to give you this.” The shadow then gave Rudi a cloak. Rudi accepted it and wore it instantly. Indeed, it was the quest acceptance reward. Concealment Cloak (Growth) was equipped and Rudi’s identity was completely hidden.

 

“This cloak is something good but for the success of this, I have to give you this. Just regard it as my thanks. And my name is Laor, remember that.” Laor finally introduced his identity.

[Affinity with Laor increased by 2 points]

 

‘Hmm, affinity. This is gonna be a boon and a doom kind of thing for every player.’ Rudi then checked the cloak that he used. And he found out something interesting.

 

[Concealment Cloak has been bound to Rudi. This equipment cannot be traded or dropped upon death]

Concealment Cloak (Growth)

Rate: Common   Durability: 245/245

Dexterity +40

Intelligence +40

Concealment Effect+150%

Attached Skills:-

Level Restriction:-

A cloak that created through the combination of alchemy and tailoring. Enhancing stealth performance to be suitable for an assassin to wear. The one who made this focused its effort and heart so that this cloak will be able to see what a legendary realm like, surpassing the concept of the specific item.

Bound to Rudi and can only be equipped by Rudi. Special items that do not need level restriction.

 

‘The equipment is this good upon the acceptance of the quest. I cannot imagine what sort of things waiting for me at the end of the quest.’ Rudi then noticed Laor moved as swift like the wind that blew the Pine Tree Forest. Rudi could feel it too and felt grateful for playing this game. This sensation would not be felt by Rudi if he did not play this virtual reality game.

 

“First, we need to get to the Adamantium Cave hidden deep inside this forest before those three rallied a mob to do a carpet searching.” Laor then moved to a direction and Rudi had to follow him. Rudi then saw his status changed since his equipment was boosting it. His speed whether it was movement or attack speed changed drastically.

 

“Just follow me.”

“Okay” Rudi replied despite having difficulties to follow Laor’s movement. The foot Laor used to move seemed elusive yet it effectively enhanced his speed. He had to follow Laor for about five minutes and then a notification appeared.

 

[You managed to see footwork that piqued your interest. Despite its elusiveness, you managed to understand its essence but it is weak and needs time to learn. Skill ‘Hidden Step (F)’ acquired]

 

Hidden Step (F)[Active]

Your leg moved and prepare to change your position and spot when attacked from anywhere. This can also be used to move through trees in the forest with ease.

Mana: 5/seconds

Effect: 0.5 seconds of invulnerable stats upon activation. During activation, movement speed +75%

 

Rudi then saw his mana increased so much from the initially 23 to 163. It was a large upgrade and he could use Hidden Step for at least half a minute not stop. Not to mention invulnerable stats 0.5 seconds upon activation, it was a conditional status and if hit during that period meant not receive any damage.

 

“Thank you for trusting me in your task,” Rudi said so from his heartfelt.

“Just doing my job. We almost there, conserve your energy. I know you learn something or two.” Laor reminded Rudi.

“Oh, right.” Rudi deactivated Hidden Step and his remaining mana was at eighty. He used fifteen seconds using it and Rudi felt like move through among the trees would be fun.

 

And then it appeared in front of him. A large cave he did not see earlier located on the cliff opened wide and darkness in it gave Rudi a strange sensation.

 

“The reason I gave you the cloak is that it is the equipment that can go through the illusion spell and let us get in to see the entrance of Adamantium Cave. You understand why the boy also wears a cloak too, right?” Laor turned around and said to Rudi.

 

“Yes. And we even turned around those groups so we will not be followed.” Rudi astonished to find out that his cloak was a requirement to get to this place.

 

[You are the first player to get into Adamantium Cave. Experience gained increased by 50% in the area and the drop rate for items increased by a large amount for the next week.]

 

“No wonder some people explore the unknown in this game. There are such benefits. But even the website that guides the new players doesn’t have much information on something like this quest.” Rudi walked slowly as the darkness of the cave enveloped his body.

 

“Why is this cave concealed from the world?” Rudi felt that this large cave containing Adamantium should be well known but it was hidden.

“Because of the appearance of a large quantity of Adamantium also a sign of a calamity.” Laor became tense since they entered the cave and Rudi gripped his only weapon, a wooden stick.

“Is that your best weapon? I am afraid it won’t last five minutes against the wind of the monster around here.” Laor commented.

“Why do you have commented on that part!?” Rudi relaxed his conversation with Laor but he still kept his vigilance against his surroundings.

 

The cave was long and it headed downwards toward the underground. The problem was it kept going downwards that Rudi afraid this cave was a giant tunnel to the underground instead. Loar then exclaimed to Rudi.

 

“I found his trace. Please quickly go to see him. At this rate, something bad will happen.”

0