Chapter Nineteen – The Ferryman
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The room the group entered appeared to be the standard area of worship for any church of both the god of beginnings, Genesis, and the God of the endings, Spector. The walls were lined with stained glass windows each depicting something holy from the bible that the people worship. 

The left side windows were clearly intended for Genesis. They depicted budding plants, diverging paths, and baby animals. The pews on this side were made of wood painted with vines growing up on the sides and lovely pathways between them. It had a hopeful feel to it.

The right side windows were meant for Spector. Each depicted its own ending to the story on its mirror side. The window that depicted budding plants on the left side was mirrored by the same plant flourishing on the right side at the bottom of the window, as it grew up the window it showed the signs of age, realizing its last seeds into the air. The pews for the side of Spector were painted with the colors of a sunset, signaling the end of the day. The right side of the church gave a feeling of peace.

Harbor breathed in a deep breath of the crisp air filling the church. His eyes took in the smaller details of the room as he continued to stand back and take the entire thing in. The back wall behind the altar showed the two gods' signature style. 

The side of Gensis' background was painted in the colors of the sunrise. It showed diverging paths, budding plants, new beginnings, the painting split down the middle with a black like dotted with stars. 

The right side, the side of spector was painted in the way of a sunset, the top of the picture turning dark blue with a few stars taking their place in the sky. The bottom of the painting showed flourishing life beginning to take its leave from the earth as it ascended into the sky wisping away into the arms of the twin gods, usering the life onto the afterlife where they could rest or reincarnate.

The altar stood alone in the center of an uplifted plate form. It had a spilt cloth on it that resembled the painting behind it. The cloth sat devoid of any items on top of it. The wall of the church ran high arching up as they went closer to the ceiling. Harbor's eyes followed them. The colors changed as his head arched back, eyes seeing the gorgeous painting evolve to show the balance the twin gods brought to the world.

The place was incredibly peaceful. Harbor felt himself relaxing, his heart evening out and his breath exiting his chest easier. May floated beside him, relaxing as well.

“Didn’t expect this place to be so pretty.” May mumbled as they twirled their body around taking in the place.

Liam, Ellie, and Katie stood behind them, they to feeling peace settle into their hearts. The heavy weight of expectations lifting off of them. Allowing them to breathe easily.

“We really do need to get to church more often.” Ellie commented to her girlfriend offhandly.

Katie nodded absentmindedly.

Harbor felt himself sober up slightly, shaking off the feeling of contentment that had unknowingly settled itself in him, “Right! We need to find out a solution for May, we can pray latter.” 

Liam snapped out of it as well, nodding his head along, “Yeah,”

May shivered as their senses came back to them, “that was weird.” They uttered glancing nervously back at the group.

“OH HOLY SHIT A GHOST!!” Ellie screamed.

“A GHOST?!!!” May and Harbor cried back at the same time clinging to each other, nearly sobbing.

Liam felt panic well up in him as he watched the two cling to each other as they both looked around frantically, “No no no! It’s just May!” Liam attempted to defuse the situation.

Ellie seemed to calm down at that. “Oh, so your May?” She asked, taking a step forward, her shocked expression morphing into a friendly, curious one.

May released their death grip on Harbro, “Yeah, nice to officially meet, Ellie.” They cheered a bright grin lighting up their face.

Harbor’s chest fluttered at the sight, May seemed so happy finally being recognized by the people they saw as new friends. It was heartwarming. A soft smile creeping up onto his face as he took in the scene the trios soft introductions filtering out around him. 

Liam found them both adorable. The feeling of relaxation and contentment settled back around them. Liam frowned at the feeling wacking his arm in an attempt to shake it back off. It released its grip for a moment. Allowing Liam to feel concern flow back into him.

“Hey guys?” He called back, concern flooding his tone.

May twisted back a loppy grin still on their face, but steadily fell as they looked back to Liam’s concerned expression. Concern filled their eyes as they realized the issue. “Harbor!” They shouted into his ears.

“OW!” Harbor exclaimed rubbing his ears, “What was that for!”

“This place is dangerous! We almost fall into its trap again.” May tried to reason, frantic.

Harbor opened his mouth looking ready to ask another question, racking through his mind to figure out what they meant when realization hit him, “Oh, oh no.” Dread filled his expression. “We need to hurry.”

Harbor turned back to Ellie and Katie seeing Liam tending to them, attempting to snap them out of the daze they’d been put in. 

“Liam, what’s wrong, why are you so considered?” Ellie asked as Liam shocked her.

“This place is wrong! It’s putting you in a daze.” His voice was frantic as he tried to reason with his friend. “Don’t you see?”

Ellie continued to look at him in confusion, “What? Are you feeling alright? Maybe we should go rest.” 

Katie gasped, “Oh,” She muttered to herself glancing up at Liam seeing his frantic eyes, resolve settled hers. “Ellie I’m breaking up with you!” she declared voice strong, unwavering.

Ellie froze snapping out of the happy daze she had been in, tears forming in her eyes, “WhAt?” Her voice cracked, soft and sad.

Katie breathed in relief enveloping Ellie in a crushing hug, “Me and Ellie are going to wait in the car for a while, get our bearings, I expect updates within the half hour, or I’m dragging you all out.” She hissed as she ushered her girlfriend to the doors.

Liam nodded visibly relieved, “Please,” He said shoulder sagging.

May clapped him on the shoulder, “Welp let's be quick.” They demanded, “We need to be on guard now that we know this places game.”

“Any suggestions on how to make this any easier?” Liam asked.

“I can retell my trauma from the murder ghost.” Harbor suggested, shrugging his shoulders.

Liam shuddered. “That would certainly do the trick.” He admitted.

“Great! So after you guys left it was just me and May and the ghost on the second floor, yah know since the staircase had collapse--”

Liam cut him off. “Please don't, save it for your therapist.” He pleaded.

Harbor blew a raspberry, “You’re loss.” He commented as they made their way closer to the altar, stepping up the stairs to the platform. 

May floated in front of the, already inspecting the table. Looking above, below, and around the thing for hints. Their eyes scanned the colorful tablecloth before they descended beneath it looking around the underside only to find a nicely made table. May hummed as they floated back away from it.

“Nothing out of the ordinary here.” They announced turning back to the duo waiting behind them.

Harbor nodded as he wandered off to the right side inspecting the door stained in the center, a beautiful painting surrounding it. Liam went to the left, eyes passing the door and walls insead looking to the statues that laid on the ground behind the altar. He peered closer, getting a better view on it.

One statue was that of a cat of sorts with vine and plants climbing its sides a butterfly settled on its nose and its eyes vividly colored, on its back was painted diverging paths that popped up on in the church so often it from its noise to its tail the colors lighted and turned from the colors of the sunset into the afternoon sky. Its beauty was mesmerizing.

A hand whacked the back of Liam's head.

“No bad.” May scolded as Liam rubbed the back of his head, wincing.

“Sorry.” He muttered looking over to the other side to see a second cat mirror the first on the left side of the room.

“We’re going though the right side first.” May informed, moving over to Harbor who waited patiently by the door.

Liam humms, “seems a little backwards, but alright.” They stepped to the door where Harbor waited.

“Let’s head in then.” Harbor pushed the door open, revealing a small room with robes hung up on hocks and cabinets sitting in the corner. The trio walked the rest of the way into the room standing in the center to see the entire thing.

“Nothing really here huh?” Harbor blurted as he placed his hands on his hips and moved to the cabinets opening and closing them. They were empty.

“Welp onto the next room.” May shrugged floating back on out.

Harbor looked at Liam and shrugged, heading back to the open door.

SLAM!

The door slammed shut before the duo could take a step closer. Harbor’s face paled rapidly.

“Maybe it was the draft…?” Liam suggested weakly.

They both bolted to the door, twisting the knob desperately in an attempt to open it back up. The knob twisted and turned without issue, but the door refused to budge. Harbor resorted to slamming his way through the door, throwing his body weight at it in an attempt to knock it down. 

May found themself undisturbed by the frantic behaviors of their friend, in fact they couldn’t hear anything from that direction at all. They hummed a happy tune as they maneuvered to the door to the left.

“What is it you desire?” A voice echoed through the church, powerful, yet peaceful.

May jumped in surprise spinning around wildly. It was then they realized Harbor and Liam were stuck behind the door.

“What do you want?!” They cried, heart thrashing around in their chest.

“I asked first kid.” The voice replied, this time May was able to pinpoint where it had come from.

Their head whipped to the right, where the pews for the god Spector were situated. There sat a humanoid figure. Its? Face stared at them features familiar, peaceful even. May felt their heart settle down as peace settled in them.

“Who are you?” The asked, voice suddenly calm,

“Call me the ferryman. If you want.”

0