Ash-Eater Worms
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jace

It would seem that I have once again failed to consider the potential consequences of my actions.

I called out to Twi hoping to receive any kind of assistance as I warped out of the tunnel and out of the shadow of the interior of my tent right before the darkness I disappeared through was dispersed by the flames of the clew of ash-eater worms. Tumbling out of the tent, I saw a sight that had become normal by now: a black sphere hovering in the middle of the air.

"Spheres are so basic Jace, why don't you try being more creative with your spellcasting?" She says. "Who bases all of their mana manipulation on spheres?" She says. At the time, I was thinking about how I'd turn her into a sphere before calling her a hypocritical sphere while simultaneously humbly requesting her assistance against the countless underground enemies I would soon be facing:

"Twilight, you need to wake up. We're under attack. Twilight. TWILIGHT. TWILIGHT! TWIIIIIIII! WAKE UP, DAMN IT!"

...

...I ended up throwing rocks at her... what should I call it... sleeping sphere, maybe? As the worms continued to tunnel toward my scent with renewed confidence after my recent shouting, I decided that she probably wasn't going to wake up until she woke naturally.

...

...

...

I'm not willing to fight a whole clew of ash-eater worms which are aready challenging to fight one-on-one. With that thought driving my actions, I did the best thing I could think of at the time and, jumping as high as I could, climbed onto the top of the sphere. That was when I remembered that these worms are both enormous and able to see. Those may be good things for the worms, but those are not good things for me.

One worm lunged up from below and tried to swallow both the sphere and me in one bite, but the worm didn't get enough distance with its flying leap to reach me. The worm did manage to latch on to the orb like a leech though, so I wasn't really relieved. Next up, a worm at least twice the size of any other worm I'd seen thus far decided to go for a sort of artistic arc like that of a rainbow. Needless to say, I didn't stand still to let it consume me.

I shoved off of the sphere with my hands and my feet with the goal of getting over the gaping maw of the ash-eater worm before I became worm breakfest, and I almost made it too...

...buuuut the worm still hit my legs with the upper part of its circular mouth and knocked me face-first onto its back. I was thinking some panicky thoughts that are probably too inappropriate to write in a journal as I pried a dagger out of my boot and shoved it into the nearest eye as hard and as deep as I could. Luckily for me, I managed to wedge the dagger into the eye deep enough to stop myself from receiveing the worst of the scraping and scarring that would've been caused by falling down the entire length of the ginormous worm's rock-covered back. Unluckily for me, I dislocated my shoulder in the process because of the sudden stop.

After getting a foothold on the worm's back, I pushed off and upwards while shoving my shoulder back into its socket with my free hand all while gripping the dagger as tightly as I could despite the immense pain. Honestly, I'm surprised I didn't pass out then and there. Maybe it was the adrenaline? Anyways, I somehow managed to get my shoulder to go back to where shoulders are supposed to be... ... ...right before the worm started plummeting downward as it reached the end of its arc.

I ripped the dagger out of the worm and thrust off as far as I could with uncertain footing as the worm let out a shrill shriek which made my vision start to spin. The creature's remaining eyes locked onto my now extremely vulnerable figure in the air. Oh yeah, it can use magic. Wait, NO, IT CAN USE MAGIC!

As I was about to become a delicious, nutricious roast Jace, Twilight finally decided to wake up after the worm's piercing cry and blocked the flames with some strange darkness. At the time, I noticed that the void in front of me appeared to be made of the same material as the sphere that Twilight slept in. By the time the strange shield melted back into that creepy black sludge and the smell of smoke had dissipated, all that remained of the worms were their teeth and bones.

If she betrays me, I'm sooooo screwed. I really need to start thinking of ways to beat Twilight...

...just in case.

0