Dinner Discussions
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hazel

The food looks delicious, but who cooked it? Didn't the head chef die when HQ got attacked?


Alex

That is part of what James was busy taking care of—he has had to make a lot of new hires over the past few days, and screening for spies is no simple process.


Hazel

When is James going to join us?


Alex

He will dine with us after receiving Quartz's correspondence.


Burnon

Why don't I get ta eat tha same stuff as tha rest of ya?


Alex

You are a criminal and should be treated as such.


Burnon

That's bull and ya know it. Tha only reason I'm tied up and you're not is 'cause ya won tha war—you're no less a criminal than me.


Alex

...



Ruby

Where were we?


Ink

What was it... southern-most volcano in Auburn, the one along the coast?


Elmpar

Unk.


Ruby

Right! Yes, Unc. Apparently it got wiped off the map and no one's got a clue as to why or how.


Elmpar

I heard that a greater demon opened a hole to hell and the whole *darn* volcano fell right in.


Ink

I heard that the volcano was nothing more than an egg for the magma dragon which, after centuries, finally shattered its shell and flew away over the ocean.


Elmpar

Ink, the magma dragon is an old wive's tale to keep miners from climbing too high and falling down or in and you know it.


Ink

Every tale has an origin. Besides, no one who has gone up far enough to know the truth has returned alive, so there's no evidence that there isn't a magma dragon.


Ruby

I heard that the Children of the Red Star finally succeeded in performing one of their rituals.


Ink

Okay, our claims may have been a bit outlandish, but yours is just plain ridiculous.


Elmpar

Since when have those old robed saps done anything but disappoint their ancestors?


Ruby

Yeah, it's a silly claim, but I can't help but wonder how can a cult with no leader be so organized and unified.


Elmpar

Here she goes again.


Ruby

What, am I really the only one that finds it strange?


Ink

From what I've heard, the whole "organization" is nothing more than a glorified book club.



Victus

Do you believe these folks truly have the information we seek?


Fallus

Brother, at the very least they know more of our late father's friend than we do. Where else do we have to turn?


Victus

Fair enough. Any news on the recovery of the body?


Fallus

It was found last morning. Perfect condition, kept cold by his melting bed and tower postmortem.


Victus

The collection?


Fallus

Mostly accounted for, considering Jace's account.


Victus

And the library?


Fallus

A few of his and our later works sustained wanter damage due to lack of preservation magic, but even those were recovered in time to be carefully transcribed without risking further damage through Audiation.


Victus

Were all works truly recovered without irreversible damage to the lettering?


Fallus

All save for Father's last notebook.


Victus

How are you so certain that there is a last notebook to be missing? As far as I know, Father very well could have died after writing 177.


Fallus

Indeed, yet I would be more so bereft should it exist and fall into unworthy hands.



Carmen

...blasted that dragon to bits, BOOOOM! Everyone in the town was saved, and the heroes prepared for wherever their next adventure may take them.


Saol

But why did the dragon have to die?


Carmen

Well, the dragon was reaaaaaally evil, so it would've hurt people if it wasn't slain.


Rufu

But dragons are cool!


Carmen

Dragons are very powerful and dangerous, and whenever they live near humans there are more often than not many deaths and injuries.


Saol

But you said the horsie was okay!


Carmen

Saol, the... horse... uh... went back to the farm just in time! Because the horse was super duper fast, it outran the dragon's breath!


Saol

NNNfff... ...mmm...


Carmen

Aww, please don't cry! Shhh, shhh... it's okay...


Saol

nnFF... ... ...like the horsie?


Carmen

Yes... yes, like the horsie... ...you're both okay, okay?


Saol

Okay...



Alex

Harris, are you alright?


Harris

I'm fine, you?


Alex

I am doing well, though I am concerned about your mental state.


Harris

Why?


Alex

You do not seem well. If something is amiss, I can guide you to an empty ward and call for—


Harris

No, thank you, but I'm perfectly well.


Alex

Suit yourself.



Mei

Nawt, with all due respect, why exactly do you attend these gatherings? As High Priest of Nuntius Finis, have you no pressing obligations?


Dr. Daieng

The rest of the clergy does the majority of the work—the only parts of the job I must perform are the rites of the inner chambers.


Mei

If I may be so bold, is there truly anything of import within the inner chambers?


Dr. Daieng

I... will... not... say.


Mei

I apologize if my thoughtless query proved profane.


Dr. Daieng

All may be absolved when sin, as shall all, comes to an end. In the name of the messenger and the end, may your sins be forgiven on judgement day.


Mei

Thank you?


Dr. Daieng

Praise be to the forever 'fore and the eternal ever after.



Wev

Burnon, I do not recall asking for your motive behind joining the military. Was it the draft?


Burnon

Voluntary.


Hazel

See? I told ya he's plain crazy.


Wev

...

Burnon, what led you to volunteer for the army?


Burnon

I needed ta get money, though I regret it now.


Wev

What for?


Burnon

...


Wev

Ah, sorry for prying—that was insensitive of me.


Hazel

Wev, Burnon is a criminal and a prisoner of war and should be treated as such. Enough with the niceties and inquiries.


Wev

...

...He is concealing part of the truth, and I want to know what remains hidden.


Hazel

How could you possibly know that? He's been tortured and pretty much had his mind violated by Quartz, so what could there possibly be left to get from him other than a verbal account of what he's witnessed for the archives?


Wev

...

...No, you are right, Hazel. My intuition does not seem to agree with reason at the current time, and for that I must apologize.

...


Quartz

...


Burnon

Can I get a second serving? This is tha finest sewer slop I've had in weeks!

0