Chapter 1
146 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A dark room. Everywhere you look, there's a wall on every side, each similar to the other, not even a chip or a scratch. There are no windows or doors. That's all I've known all my life. Sometimes Grim, the butler, or rather the one who tries to be, comes to me, I doubt very much that he has ever had to take care of anyone before. He brings me food and books, and though I suspect he's not allowed to bring anything but food, Grim often indulges my desire for knowledge.

Today, as always, I had to sit inside the four walls and read the book he'd brought, about creatures ranging from small animals that burrow in the ground to hide from predators to enormous dragons that could destroy an entire city. I hadn't been to the city, though, so it's hard to know how big it really is.

When a door formed in the wall, I hid the book in the nearest place, as Grim had instructed. Usually no one but him came in, but a safety net was always needed, though this time it was of no use.

"Hello, Master," the gray-haired man said as he stepped inside.

"Hello, Grim, did you bring me the new book?"

I really wanted to learn more about the lives of ordinary people, so I asked my butler to bring me something about it.

"Not this time, Shikei, your Father is calling for you," the butler said with evident concern.

His concerned tone made my whole body tense before I realized the truly frightening thing that Father was calling me. This was the first time I was allowed to leave the room, and the first, conscious moment of meeting Father. I wondered what he looked like, and why he never came to visit...

"B-but why?" despite my desire to speak as usual, my voice trembled.

"I can't know," the man so close to me stepped closer, "but please, try to control yourself, and now come with me.

I stood up and headed toward the doorway, so inviting, yet intimidating. The unknown beckoned me very much, but the fear of encountering something bad there tried to make me turn back. As I passed through the doorway, I imagined a gray, gloomy corridor with no end in sight. Grim followed me out, and the door disappeared into the wall, closing the passage as if it hadn't been there.

"Only forward now," I thought, following the butler, trying to get a good look at my new surroundings.

After a few minutes of walking, there was a curve, beyond which, strangely enough, a huge throne room came into view as if from nowhere. A very gloomy atmosphere pressed in on itself, but what was in the center was far worse. On a huge, dark red throne sat a dark figure. It wasn't dark because of the lighting or the vantage point, it was just around this creature had a pitch-black aura swirling around it, making it difficult to see its true appearance. The gaze of this something was obviously felt throughout my body, making me shudder.

"Shikei…"

The voice came as if from nowhere, or from all directions at once, echoing off the walls of the empty hall, but it was clear to me that the one who sat on the throne was speaking. His hand raised menacingly, and it seemed to be pointing at me.

"My brat... I command you to kill a human hero," the voice was cold all over my body, chilling me to the bone.

After these words my legs shook, though it could have been the effect of fear, but when I looked down, I saw a black sludge, just where the hand of the dark creature from the throne was pointing. Not understanding what was happening, cries for help flew out of my mouth toward Grim, but he didn't even turn his head to look me in the eye. The butler stood silent, kneeling.

"Doesn't he really care?" flashed through my mind, but was gone as soon as I remembered who was here besides us. Remembering Grim's words, I managed, with a great effort, to shut up and close my eyes, waiting for further developments. Fear made my body numb, so even if I wanted to, I could not move a finger.

Ten seconds without any sensation, and then finally... The wind... Wait... The wind?! I opened my eyes, which I immediately closed because of the bright light, much brighter than the lamp in my room. Once I got used to it, my eyes opened again, and they had a beautiful view, which I had never been able to see before. A huge green forest at the foot of a majestic mountain, and a waterfall descending from it, which had its source somewhere deep in the mountain range.

For a few minutes I could only gape at the scenery I had dreamed of seeing for so many years. It was beautiful and surpassed all expectations. No picture I had ever seen in a book before could compare to this.

I walked over to the body of water created by the waterfall and looked into the water. I looked back at the dark-haired guy with what I thought was a fairly standard appearance, only his eyes looked strange and remarkable-they were a dark red color. I didn't know there was an eye color like that. Come to think of it, I had never really seen my reflection, which is quite an interesting experience.

Then I realized that I was still dressed in my usual clothes, a black shirt and the same color thin pants. Not the best kit for a mission to kill anyone.

Turning around and climbing a small hill, I began a more detailed survey of the area. I had to make up my mind about where I was going. Survival in the wilderness was clearly not my strong suit...

So, there was a forest on one side and a plain on the other, with a glimpse of... a city! That's why I was thrown here, probably this city is my goal, or rather the place where my goal is.

All my thoughts turned from the surrounding scenery to the anticipation of seeing the city. A real one! Grim had told me a lot about it whenever he had the chance. I knew all I could use, but the jitters made me nervous that I wouldn't fit in.

Well, my main goal would be to get to the city first, and then I'd figure it out somehow.

***

Support me on the Boosty and read new chapters early - https://boosty.to/molshifter

5