Chapter 12 – A Taste of You
457 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

HISTORY CLASS

DR. BURRISON

The day passed monotonously until the session before lunch arrived. Xavier experienced the day as he always did – bliss, contentment, a bit of tediousness, and just overall appreciation and thankfulness for his new life.

Bella sat in the seat next to him – this was the only class they took together.

Honestly, Xavier had the urge to change Bella for Angela, and that’s how he knew that his love for Angela went beyond any plot Twilight could offer him.

Though, he still did occasionally flirt with Bella.

It was more of a test than anything else – he wondered if a little attention from himself would get Bella more interested in The Eternal than the soon-to-return vampire.

After all, Xavier had read the books and watched the movies – it was easy to notice that Bella lacked attention and friendships, which he could offer better than a vampire could.

Guess we’ll see if they’re soul mates or not…’ Xavier internally smirked.

“You’re not paying attention again,” Bella poked Xavier with the bud of her pencil, chastising him in the lowest voice possible. “I will not do the project alone.”

“You will have to,” Xavier replied in a not-so-subtle voice. “After all, I bet you’re too scared to even enter my house.”

“We can do it at my house,” Bella argued.

“You mean the place where Charlie keeps all his guns?” Xavier rolled his eyes.

Bella blushed since that was indeed what gave her the courage to bring Xavier home – there were guns… many guns.

“We can just ask Cullen to be in our group,” Xavier threw a glance at Alice sitting at the back of the class – even alone and seated, her bubbling personality still shone brightly. “Trust me, she will do the Project alone if she must.”

XAVIER IKARIS!

Xavier and Bella were still engrossed in their conversation.

XAVIER IKARIS!

By the second time the teacher had called Xavier’s name, Bella fell silently, put her head on her desk in shame, and started making subtle glances at Xavier, trying to warn the Eternal to be quiet.

But he could care less, especially since he was mostly communicating with Alice. Their unique hearing allowed them to have conversational whispers throughout the class.

Like the vampires, The Eternal could block out other sounds whenever he needed to – as he had unconsciously blocked the sound of his teacher’s voice.

XAVIER IKARIS!” Dr. Burrison had grown tired of constantly calling out to a student who would show him no courtesy.

WHOOOSH

A chalk flew at Xavier’s head, and The Eternal eyes snapped to the incoming chalk as his perception of the world slowed. By the time everyone saw what happened, Xavier pinched the chalk between two fingers.

“You were saying?” He inquired.

To his credit, Dr. Burrison shook off the instinctual fear Xavier had brought upon him with a mere glance.

“We were discussing Greek Mythology, and thinking about your name – I would like to test your knowledge,” Dr. Burrison wore a smug expression. “Ikaris is your middle name if I am not mistaken? Taken from the Greek Mythology of Icarus, son of Daedalus?”

There was silence in the class.

“Ooohhh…”

Some of the guys in the class made aweing sounds when they realized the Professor was attempting to take the girl's favorite student, Xavier, down a couple of notches.

“And what would you like to know,” Xavier’s reply came lazily.

“The story of Icarus – do you know it?” Dr. Burrison was sure Xavier had little idea of what he was referring to – after all, the kid hardly paid attention in any class.

From the corner of his eyes, Xavier could see Bella trying to tilt her book a bit in his direction, hoping he would glean the answer from her diligently-taken notes.

“I know nothing…”

“HA—”

Just before anyone in the class, especially the Professor, could grow smug, Xavier continued. “Because there is no such myth as that of Icarus – it has always been exactly as my middle name is spelled, The Myth of Ikaris.”

Dr. Burrison withheld a laugh. “Enlighten us,” He proposed jokingly.

“At that time, they went by many names – Etana, Ikaris, Icarus, Spryte, Spirit, Hephaestus… the names knew no ends – it was a time when men still accepted that extraordinary beings walked amongst them. Most of these beings need not fear because they were protectors of humanity. What you are referring to is a story devised by The Romans after they destroyed Greek culture. Hence, Ikaris became Etana, which later translated into Roman as Icarus, and much later, English by the same name.”

“Please stop spouting non—”

“There was never a Daedalus – her name was Ajak. Once again, later translated in Daed – she who heals those on the brink of death. Daedalus later became the name of choice in Roman Culture, and of course, English as well. Surprisingly, the stories weren’t so popular back then – Babylonians preferred to speak of Gilgamesh – their noble hero capable of defeating dragons with a single blow.”

Dr. Burrison furrowed his brows, wondering if he should stop Xavier from making even more of a fool of himself and the entire class.

“I can see you’re not convinced,” Xavier shrugged his shoulders, and searched his memories, looking for the words. “I can share with you a part of the story as it was told three thousand years ago – Ukalama taviat ke shante neshku agua kishe kame algama Gilgamesh Enkidu ahanch uku untu untu kadutu unta untu taku taku daresh ata ati ulu wila sham iku haram de la biate kata aba daba un sabadeba ala mante manu shanka!

The class had entered a daze.

Alice had entered a daze – rightfully so, since, unlike everyone else, she could see the story a second ahead of time, and through the gaze of Xavier’s eyes, where there were illusions of epic fights and sorrowful losses.

Xavier, himself, was in a daze as memories settled in his mind – not memories of the movies he had watched, but memories from a first-person perspective, as if he had actually been in Babylonia.

“WOW!”

Even Dr. Burrison was uncertain of how to react.

When Xavier snapped out of his daze, he simply rose from his seat and made his way to the door.

“You can’t—” Dr. Burrison tried to stop The Eternal, but then…

BUZZ

The buzzer rang, and Xavier had disappeared through the door.

“Okay, class…” Dr. Burrison desperately tried to keep his mind from wandering. “Read pages 90 – 97 in your textbooks. You are dismissed.”

Bella was the first to dart out of the class, using the map that would tell her where Xavier was likely to be.

-----------

Two corridors down, Bella managed to extricate herself from the rush of students heading to the cafeteria. This was the same route she and Xavier had taken on the first day.

“But I doubt he is heading to the cafeteria,” Bella murmured, examining the map for the third time. “Okay, so the green spots are his safe zones and the nearest one is…”

Bella moved according to the map, turning one corridor and taking the stairs down until she arrived before a janitor’s closet.

“Okay, there is definitely a serial killer waiting inside there,” Bella murmured to herself, hoping it would somehow convince her mind to leave, but it just strengthened her curiosity.

Bella pushed open the door to the closet and was greeted by dirty mops, the combined smell of several things that had died, and a tiny crack of light at the back.

SQUEAK

SQUEAK

“OH, GOD!”

Bella rushed towards the crack of light as if possessed, and when she realized a flimsy board wall stood between her and the light, her fingers tore into the board and made a gap large enough to pass through.

THUD

She tumbled out of the janitor’s closet, appearing in a much livelier room where the light was not only bright but multi-colored.

At first glance, there was a tv, an Xbox, a table stocked with snacks and drinks, three old, dusty couches, and a small refrigerator in the far corner.

Bella stared at the figure who shifted uncomfortably on the couch.

Xavier stared back at the girl who had entered the secret room in the most absurd way possible.

“You do know there is a door on this side?” He pointed at the obvious door on the right – opposite where Bella entered.

Bella was furious at first, but then, she realized it was indeed her fault for not reading the map correctly.

“I hope this is not a problem,” She gestured to the new door she had created. “There are so many rats in there.”

“I would imagine there is,” Xavier smiled, rose from his seat, and helped Bella to stand. “It hasn’t been cleaned in almost a decade,” He added.

“You need to draw better maps,” Bella cutely complained.

“You need to read better,” Xavier took the map from Bella’s hand and indicated the number of the locker she should have accessed to get to the door.

The combination was written and everything.

After helping Bella to a seat on the nearby couch, Xavier grabbed a couple of cans from the table in the back and the first aid kit from the wall.

“What are you drinking?” He inquired.

“Nothing alcoholic, please,” Bella stated.

“Wasn’t gonna give you any,” Xavier clarified, taking a seat next to Bella while slipping a cold can of coke into her hands.

“Thanks…”

“You’re welcome,” The Eternal replied. “Now, give me your hands – got a few cuts going on here.”

Bella offered her hands with little resistance, wincing when Xavier applied alcohol to clean the wounds. As much as she wanted to squeal, Bella contained the instinct since she didn’t want to be treated as a coward.

The duo casually conversed as Xavier continued Bella’s treatment.

“What brings you down here?”

“You seemed upset in class.”

“Came to check up on me – who has a record and is a dark room all on your own?” Xavier found it funny.

Bella frowned. “I clearly didn’t think this through.”

At some point, Xavier and Bella realized the treatment was finished – three of her fingers had been properly bandaged – but The Eternal still gently caressed her hands.

Bella enjoyed his touch, unwilling to withdraw her hands.

Just like that, the mood in the secret room changed in an instant – the darkness was no longer brooding but inviting, the lack of noise was no longer scary but required, and the sound of their breathing was no longer subtle but hurried.

Bella and Xavier were taken by each other’s eyes.

Xavier, never one to hesitate given the opportunity, leaned forward slower than he ever had before – something that was completely unlike him.

Bella withdrew a couple of inches at first, but then, she found her eyes closing as her neck craned forward. Then, their lips met and sparks rippled throughout her body.

A hint of desire…

A burst of met anticipation…

A ripple of fear…

A happiness that tickled the nerves…

Xavier wanted to demand more from the kiss, but he was barely able to stop his hands from reaching Bella’s legs as he pressed their lips together with ever-increasing intensity.

The soft couch was the only reason Bella’s fragile constitution could manage such an intense five-second make-out session.

Xavier tried to withdraw, but Bella’s hands gripped the sides of his face, pulling him closer to continue their indulgence.

“Please…” She begged. “Don’t stop.”

“I am dating Angela again,” Xavier's throat was dry as he admitted the truth.

Bella’s hands fell limply to her sides, and there was a lost look in her eyes for a couple of seconds.

“Say something…” Xavier pleaded.

PAS

Bella’s hand struck, and Xavier tilted his head to guide the slap along, ensuring Bella wouldn’t bruise her hand on his durable skin.

“How could you?” Bella questioned with tears in her eyes.

“I’m sorry…”

“Just…” Bella expelled the words as if they took everything she had. “Just stay away from me.”

“Let me take you home,” Xavier grabbed his coat from the opposite chair. “You’re in no condition to drive.”

“I can drive fine!” She raised her voice.

It was the first time Bella raised her voice to someone, much less her first friend in Forks.

Without waiting for a reply, she dashed out of the secret room, successfully not stumbling over her feet as she ran. This time, she exited via the correct door.

Xavier slumped into the couch, a confused expression on his face. Everything was as he intended, even if on a subconscious level, but when the time came to continue, Xavier felt sick to his stomach.

“Couldn’t go through with it, huh?” Jessie pushed open a door to the side, slurping a Gatorade as he entered. “I was about to leave to give you some privacy until you shot yourself in the leg.”

“I couldn’t do it,” Xavier admitted. “This feels so unlike me. Any other day, I would have fucked her without a care.”

“Because you actually care about her as a person, even with that fucked up personality of yours,” Jessie placed a hand on her friend’s shoulder. “You’re always telling me to be a man and handle my business – now, go be a man and apologize to that fragile girl.”

Xavier sighed and nodded.

“Here,” Jessie reluctantly tossed the Bugatti keys to their rightful owner. “You need to drive fast to catch up with her – chances are she is heading home.”

Xavier tossed the keys back to Jessie.

“Trust me, I don’t need the car to catch up to Bella’s driving.”

Xavier exited the secret room, and Jessie sat on the couch, a complex expression on her face.

If there were previous doubts in her mind, now it became obvious – Xavier was critically damaged and mentally unstable.

“Stacy is right,” Jessie mumbled. “I can’t ask him for help.”

 


Not sure if my translation is fine, but meh... I tried...

Write any corrections you have below. 

Support here to keep me writing this ---> The_Eternal_Ocean_Soul is creating fanfictions and original novels | Patreon

16