Chapter 1- Part 2
40 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

≧◉◡◉≦

 

After they finished their business with the urzyk, The adventurer party with Xen in tow proceeded together toward the furthest depths of the forest.

Alea led the way as the scout. Following behind her were Aldo and Delg. Behind them were the rear guard Livia, and Xen. They reached the territory that only a few adventurers can reach so it was expected that more dreadful monsters will be there to greet them. However, due to Alea’s effort of scouting and throwing monster-repellent balls to some particular areas, they avoided any confrontations against the monsters and were proceeding relatively smoothly with leisure to have a chat.

Aldo’s party was a high-ranking party named “lotus hope, which was quite famous for having a good track record for completing several difficult quests.

Adventurer ranking goes from G which was the lowest to A the highest. Even though A rank was called the highest, there was actually a rank way above it and it was the S-ranks: a realm that few adventurers can reach and where the strongest adventurers reside.

in that spectrum, Lotus hope was rank A, but individually, they were all Rank B adventurers. With a reputation to uphold, they were commissioned by a guild to a task no common adventurer party can take. And that is to investigate an area in the deep region.

As spring began, monsters were expected to be more active after a long hibernation, however, the number of monsters prowling around were overwhelming that the adventurer was caught off guard. There was also the presence of high-ranking monsters getting spotted in shallow areas. And reports of new types of monsters flying here and there. Casualties among adventurers were rising each day.

As the guild doesn’t have the power to ban the adventurer from entering the forest, they instead gave strict notice to those who are still attempting to take a quest concerning the Vilpora forest. The townsfolk felt the gravity of the situation and voices their concern for their safety. With this unpredicted crisis within the forest, the guild decided to send an investigation team to quell the budding unrest.

However, they never heard about those people ever again.

The guild can’t afford another failure, so they gave this task to the reputed Lotus Hope.

“The forest was already dangerous to begin with, and now it became even more precarious. Just a moment ago, there’s that unknown parasitic monster that you save Livia from. It's plain as a day that there’s something going on with the forest.” Aldo stated.

“I heard this infamous forest for some time now, but this is my first time here in time, so I don’t know exactly what it is considered as norm. I just fought my through like I always do. Though there are indeed a lot of monsters. I was a little surprised by the frequent encounters I had.”

 Xen said in agreement.

“Oh right… you did mention that you’re a traveler.”

So far, it was the adventurers that were telling the tales so when Delg change the topic, passing the ball to Xen, the party all looked at him with anticipation. 

“Yes, I’m on a pilgrimage to hone myself and broaden my horizon. I’ve been in places of danger on several occasions, fighting monsters in name of my training. And when I heard about this forest, I decided to have a go.”

“hehe, You must have been gone through crazy hard tranin’, that amazin’ lad” 

“Yeah, this place wasn’t a regular monster nest you know. Only a few adventurers can reach this far. But look at you, on your own, you reach this far seemingly unscathed.”

Livia said, looking at Xen's overall appearance.

He wore a black and white hoodie over a printed white shirt, coupled with denim pants and sneakers. no matter how anyone sees it, it wasn’t the appropriate garment you use for hunting, let alone entering the forest. But he did manage to reach this place with all that. Perhaps they no need to question his taste in fashion as long as it works. Besides, you really can’t judge someone based on appearance alone.

Compared to them who wore the same armor every day, Xen might change clothes every time it get filthy or torn along the way so Livia's words might be empty praise, though it was evident that Xen was unscathed base on his appearance.

“And you did it with this cool looking hoodie.” Delg jested, seeming interested as he pointed to Xen's hoodie jacket. 

“Well, I don’t really have combat garments or armor on me. I saw myself as a traveler not an adventurer, so I didn't give thoughts of buying one even though I’ll be fighting monsters eventually.”

“Right right, Now that you mention it, why not don’t you join a guild? Since you’re already hunting monsters and all, and traveling to different places. Becoming an adventurer will give an easy pass to any country. Plus you can have the guild buy all your spoils. You’re already strong and all, It wouldn’t take long for you to rise up in rankings.” Aldo suggested.

Xen hummed as looked up into the trees. Then he said, “That doesn’t sound bad, I’ll think about it.”

 

Alea watched from atop the trees, as scout it’s she always up and ahead of the party to scan the surroundings for something that warranted their attention. She glanced through the trees, but her eyes didn’t focus anywhere as she was preoccupied with her thoughts. After a while, she would then throw something far away in the vicinity, which was probably the monsters-repellant balls. 

“I must say, Alea is doing well in keeping the monsters away.”

Alea’s long tapered ears twitch as she managed to hear Xen praising her. She looked back at him from the top of the tree wearing a smug face.

“Hehehe, impressed. It’s all thanks to these repellent balls. This was made by our prize alchemist back in the guild.” She said triumphantly as she showed a hand size ball wrapped in clothes and sting.

If the ball is subjected to a bit of force, it will release a nauseating smell that monsters hate. Of course, that included the adventurers too, but Alea threw them a distance the smell can't reach them, specifically to areas with high amount monsters so they leave their area alone.   

“There's that. But you’ve also been using your familiars to scout several areas and guiding us to the least amount of monsters."

“How perceptive of yo-…Wait, did you just locate my familiars!?" Livia asked, visibly surprised.

Familiars were creatures that were bound through spell contracts. It can either be a summoned creature from an unknown realm or a tamed regular monster or animal in this world. Livia’s party was already using familiars from the start though they never really told Xen about it. Their familiars were basically tamed common birds which would be formidable to distinguish from the rest nor sense from afar by an outsider.

Our To sense it this far, just who is this guy? Livia stared at Xen with wide eyes. Even Delg and Aldo can’t hide their awe.

However, Xen followed up with an explanation and cleared their misunderstanding.

“uhh... I’m not. I just notice by Alea's gestures. It seems like you’re speaking to something we can’t see. So I assume you’re using familiars to scout the area. But based on your reaction, it seems I was right”

“O-oh I see. But It's amazing you can deduce that much.” Alea awkwardly nodded having her assumption was wrong nonetheless she was impressed by how observant he was. 

“Hehe, You’re one cunning lad.” Delg chortled casting one eye on him.

Alea raised her hand gesturing something above the trees. a short moment later, a tiny bird, which is endemic to the forest landed on her index finger. She had many birds of the same kind scattered in different areas, blending into surroundings as they scouted places that warranted their caution. with that the case, she only pulled one for demonstration. 

“With my familiars, I can scout anywhere from afar and avoid any confrontation as possible. We wouldn't want to compromise our resources before we arrive at our destination after all.”

“Yep, that would be disastrous. you got your priorities right. Others would be tempted to hunt if they saw walking bounty.” Xen concord. 

“Well, This isn’t a place we can afford that luxury, Besides we are escorting a VIP so It’s best to avoid confrontation as we can.” Aldo pointed out, explaining Alea’s stance further.

“…Is that so, here I thought I’ll be watching you guys fight just as delg said.”

“Wha—!”

Delg was speechless as he was caught off guard. He indeed said that part to make Xen agree to join them on their crusade temporarily. She knew he was only joking at that time because his entire entity is a joke. So definitely this was Xen just teasing them, right? But his tone was flat and made him sound serious. In fact, they don't even know if were joking or not. Well, Delg dig his own grave on that one, she thought

“W-well, only if there’s a monster right?”

Delg pointed out. Not intended dismissing his remarks as a joke and decided to push through with it. This way, he saves his face. Indeed, what a joke.

Alea looked down at him from the top with a stifled laugh. However, Delg might have sensed her impish act as he gazed up with a frown.

“…Yeah…” Xen said awkwardly observing their antics. 

“Right! it’s better to be on the safe side.” Delg ignored Alea and responded with enthusiasm.

At that moment, Alea notice something from her scout that sent a chill down her spine. 

“What!” she suddenly exclaimed which stop the party in their tracks. They can tell the seriousness of the matter as the color drained from her face.

“What is it.” Aldo stepped up.

But before she can tell him, Xen spoke causally, giving him the answer.

“It seems multiple entities are heading this way."

What? he senses that far!? Alea's mouth slacked open at how sharp his sense was. 

“And those are?” 

the answer came in a form of a familiar howl echoed in the area. The sound of rumbling footsteps like cascading thunder got louder. At the end edge of the trees, large wolves, three meters in height step out, dashing on their way.

“Dire wolves, damned! a whole pack is surrounding us.” 

“Ah fuck! How the hell sniff us with those stones we threw. Oi did you thew monster luring ball!”

Delg glance

Aldo and Delg brandished their weapons and immediately moved into position. Aldo with his sword and delg with his shield with his other hand holding a mace for the offense. Livia braced her staff behind them. Alea jumped further behind them, hopping through the branches while she readied her bow. As soon as she found a good vantage point, she aimed her already-loaded bow at the approaching wolves. Their numbers encompassed wide rows of trees, and with a size that large, this scene is nothing short of a nightmare. 

“Though wolves may hate the stone repellant since they have a keen sense of smell. But direwolves can smell the prana of any being.” Xen said which prompted Aldo to ask.

“Wait, they do!?”

“Yeah, wait, you didn’t know?”

“ughh…”

“Well, looks like your wish came true lad,” Delg said with a shallow grin.

Alea felt the tension coming from her companions... except for someone, Xen seemed unconcerned with all this and just stand on the spot, not withdrawing his sword. Does he find this not threatening enough for him?

Her eyes browse with a gaping mouth as she watched Xen begin walking away from their center to the side, so as to not get in the way

“Yeah, I’ll just stand here and watched.” He calmly stated.

“…”

“eh?”

Delg looked at Xen with his jaws left hanging. Others were also looking at him exasperated. It seems Xen was serious after all!

“Guys they’re coming.” Aldo snapped back as the wolves were getting closer. Or that it was supposed to happen.

“Huh…?”

“They… stopped?”

Both the Aldo and the Delg voiced their confusion on their behalf. They gazed beyond the glade where a row of wolves began barking vehemently, that tortured their ears. It appears none of them seem to take a step further, just like letting their barks send their frustration and anger on them.

The swordsman was staring at the seemingly alpha wolf which was larger than the rest. It growled lowly with eyes gazing sharp. Just like its kin, he doesn’t have the intention to pursue. It can only convey its rage through those sharp eyes that could kill a weak-hearted man.

The alpha wolf let out a lone bark before it turned its feet and withdraw. The rest of the pack reluctantly followed suit. perhaps they really indeed can't disobey the alpha of the pack.

“They withdraw just like that. Hehe… Did they get cold feet?”

The dwarf jested as he relaxed his stance. The rest also lowered their weapon with the threat let them off.

Livia placed her hand on his chest as she sighed in relief. “Whatever the reason, it’s good that they’re gone. She said

"However, those wolves' behavior is just too strange don’t you think.”

The elf returned her bow to her back, before jumping off the branch. She cast his gaze to where the wolves retreated to. The wolves were no longer there, but the way how their encounter ended left quite a mystery.

It was hard to imagine that these monsters chased them a great distance and then just give up when the prey started to fight back. A coincidence that seems too good to be true. These monsters were dying to get their fangs on these adventurers so it’s hard to believe that they became all suddenly intimidated by the adventurers. And unmistakably, the face they flashed wasn't that of fear.

“From how they act, they seem afraid to approach this area,”

Livia stated in her observation. Cupping his chin in thought, the Aldo voiced out his conjecture.

“Perhaps this might be a territory of something much more dreadful… is like what I want to say. But we already combed the whole area and found no traces of monsters.” 

“I know right, that’s why it’s strange. Just what is going on here?” said Alea, her eye falling on the area where wolves were standing earlier. But her gaze pulled back as Delg spoke up his mind.  

“Or maybe they’re warnin’ us,”

“What?”

Alea looked at him blankly. Delg ignored her and stated his own findings.

“Didn’t ye saw those dreadful faces, they don’t want us to approach their territory.”

“Woah, that‘s the first time you offered something that makes sense.” Alea blinked, feigning surprise. Of course, Delg knew her antics so he shot her a sharp glare.

“Shut yer yap!” he scowled.

“Well whatever that is we could think of it later, we shouldn’t dwell here too long.” Aldo said intervening between them. He glanced at Xen, still gazing in the direction of the wolves. 

“Those wolves were probably….” Xen muttered barely audible. 

“Sir Xen?”

“ah.. Yes, let's get a move on.” 

Xen cast one final glance at that place before he walked away. The party resumed their journey, though Aldo cast a furtively glance at him for some reason. 

 

Occasionally, they would sneak past some troublesome monsters especially those with threats equal to or higher than the Urzyk. But for those monsters they can’t really avoid, the party quickly dealt it without needing Xen’s help.

After a couple of hours, the sun rose to its zenith. They began to show signs of exhaustion so when they found a clean spot by a nearby stream and they decided to rest there for a moment.

“This place will do. Delg, please prepare a campfire, while we prepare the ingredients.”

“Righto!” Delg gladly comply and scuttered on the surroundings to find some dry branches.

Livia grabbed her bag on her belt and fetch a small pouch engrave with runic patterns

“Release.”

Saying the keyword, all contents came rushing out of the pouch. Piles of effects lay on the ground including utility equipment like tables chairs and camping tools, ingredients such as vegetables and wrapped meat, and vials containing condiments.

Xen stared at the mound of jumbled stuff as Alea join Livia in sorting them up.

“Why did unload them all at once?” Xen asked with a baffled tone.

“Well...That’s because we have no control over it.”

“…” 

Unmoved, Xen stared at her and Livia stared back as well. His gestures just now hinted to her that Xen was confused so she then explained how the magic bag works.

The magic bag is a magic item that stored a subspace in which things can be kept. It was as if all things stored inside were shrunk down including their weights. If part of an object was put on the entrance, the bag will distort the space and suck the thing inside it no matter its size. Though the downside was that, they have no way of picking the items individually as it was stored in a subspace. Thus, they have to unload everything just to pick up the specific items. Nevertheless, it very convenient tool for transportation and it definitely costs a hefty price in the market.

“Thats… a lot of work huh.”

"Have you never seen a magic bag before?" 

"...I have, but I never knew this has that kind of downside."

“Yes, but... it’s a thousand times better than carrying all the heavy stuff in an actual bag.”

“but, you have something similar with your magic right.” Alea glanced up, with a grin, pointer her finger. “I’ve seen items your storage spell when you kept your sword.”

“Oh that’s right! You do have something like that!” Livia bolted up with excitement. She leaned closer as to demand an explanation.

“For all I know, that’s a Spatial magic which said to be the hardest and the mana coming of all elements, just how did you pull that off?”

“Even if you ask me, I just learn it like usual. Read and practice.” Xen said smoothly. But Livia, seem unconcerned and narrowed her eyes in suspicion. But Xen sighed and told her as a matter of fact. “There is no secret other than hard work. If you don’t work for it, then don’t hope for it.”

Hearing this Livia frown. A hand reached her shoulder, of course, she already knew which is it from.

“You heard him… let it go. What your asking is a trade secret of a mage, you yourself must know it the best.”

As Alea said so, magic is a weapon of a mage that takes months or years to conjure depending on the talent or skills and dedication. There would be times when a mage would come new ways and techniques for himself. So expected that he would feel reluctant to disclose these arts for free. Furthermore, they just met. Their relationship wasn’t long enough for her to request something that absurd.

“right…” she said dejectedly with her shoulder slumped down.

“Guys there were fishes here!” Aldo shouted from the embankment of the stream looking so excited which made Delg’s head jolt up.

“Oh! is there!?”

“Yeah, I’ll go fishing for a bit. Might you want to try as well Sir Xen.” Aldo offered since He was the only one who doesn’t have anything in his hand.

“Alright.” Xen left Livia and Alea and headed towards the stream.

 

 

0