Chapter 1-part 4
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a prickling sensation that Xen knew pretty well. A feeling that he was familiar with every time he wandered in a place where monsters are frequently searching for prey. There’s is something here watching them from shadows.

He turned to the side.

But there isn’t a shadow of a creature there. But he felt vaguely past behind these thickets.

“I’m going to have a look on that place.” He said without removing his gaze before he marched away. The party looked at each other but they obediently followed him after.

His intuition led them to a place where lights shine much brighter without much obstruction from the trees.

Large trees surrounded the place bathed in a warm ambiance. The even grass lawn spread over the wide clearing where a fairly large stream was crossing at the middle. Waters flow calmly through the gaps of the large boulder situated in the middle. Overall, the serene atmosphere which gives off a mystical vibe makes it calming at the same time thrilling to the visitor.

An ordinary citizen may find it hard to believe that this place even existed in the deepest area where it's said to be the most dangerous. But for adventurers, this kind of setting is somewhat common. Just not in the deep region.

“Who would have though there was a place like these withing the darkness.” Alea marveled at the scene.

“More often than not, a place with a mysterious calming vibe tends, sometimes tends to inhabit’s abnormally strong creatures. Lets stay focus.” Aldo advised them to curtly. He looked at Xen who nonchalantly walked in with a clear direction.

They eventually stop at the embankment.

Xen looked around the area until his eyes fell on the stream. Clearwater gently slides through the gaps of rocks situated in the middle. Healthy fishes swam around at the bottom.

Though, there was something else out of place, getting dragged by the water."Huh?" Aldo stared blankly.

“Is… that what it seems to be.” Delg narrowed his eyes, making sure it wasn’t playing tricks on him. And Alea confirmed that it wasn’t.

“Yeah… and don’t look”

It was plain beige clothes attached to small cups. What they were looking at in the water was lingerie being dragged by the flow all the way to them. Before it could get far, Livia reach her staff and fished the bra up.

“Who do you this bra belongs to?”

“Is anyone here!? Hello!” Aldo shouted letting the other person know his presence. But no voice answered him back.

“Uh.. It probabaly fell form that rock.” Xen said, pointing rest of the clothes which were neatly stacked on one of the boulders at the embankment.

“It must have bee fell off, I guess we should return this.”

Looking closely at it, it was plain lingerie with a simple embroidered ivy lining on the cup. based on the size, the owner of this lingerie might still have a developing bosom. There’s no arguing that this definitely belongs to an adventurer since she was the only person that has the ability to reach this place. Perhaps adventurer doesn’t need to have an ostentatious design of lingerie since they didn’t come here to show off. They are here to fight monsters after all, so it might a proper attire on this occasion.

One look is enough to tell that this place is perfect for camping. So perhaps someone is taking a dip here after the long grueling hunt.

“Just who would leave their own clothes like this?” Alea wondered as they walked to the boulder where moss coated all over the sides.

“Whoever that is, that person must be a klutz to leave her clothes behind. Does that person perhaps leave the place alone naked? Delg grunted.

“But that would be impossible. No one in the mind will roam the forest naked. So perhaps she just forgot to picked up these clothes after she change to a new ones.” Livia argued.

A set of underclothes was piled over light armor which seems to be made of high-quality material clearly belong to a female warrior. She gently put the lingerie back at the top and make sure that it was stable not to fall off again.

“Her weapon is here too.”

Xen grabbed one of the swords leaning on the rock. The sheath was fairly decorated by simple engravings and the top part which was reinforced silver metal inscribe an image of seemingly a rock. An edge-free rock actually, like a flattened circle. He hold that part, as he pulled the hilt to have a glimpse of a blade. He stared for a few seconds at the blade which inscribe with geometric patterns before quickly shutting it closed.

“Enchanted sword made of adamantite, To think she will just leave something this powerful sword.” He said handing the sword back in its place.

Delg probed the other sword, with his eyes gleaming in wonder.

“Enchanted swords are very hard to forge. This quality is out of this world— this migt be frge by a world class smith!” Delg exclaimed, his bulging eyes seemingly licking the blade.

“All her gears are made to be the top quality and imbued magical reinforcement. Only a high-rank adventurer can afford something like this.“ Alea said inspecting the clothes from the side.

“indeed, I can’t understand why she just left her high grades items here.” Xen agreed.

For adventurers, their armor and weapons were their lifelines, especially in a monster nest like this. So it's a given that these people would find the action of this adventurer dumbly confusing. Even a rookie adventurer will never get this careless, much less a high-ranking one. It was probably intentional. And if it is, it only got even more confusing to know the reason why.

As he was been caught up in his head thinking about this conundrum, a short rustle resounded from the bushes near the tree beside the stream.

Surprised by the sudden sound, he reflexively jump backward.

The way he landed to a significant distance from his reaction to a low sound was by no means an exaggeration.

He doesn’t know what kind of creature was hidden behind the foliage so it’s best to keep some distance. Despite the beauty of this place, He is still in the deep parts of the Vilpora forest, where strong monsters reside. It wouldn’t be a surprise if a monster decided to settle here since there was a watering hole present.

One thing he was sure of was that this monster isn’t setting ambush since it already gave away its position and he can’t feel any hostile intent either.

“Who’s there?” he asked sharply.

Everyone was late to react probably because they were immersed in the magic items before them, but they brandished their swords and staff and move into position.

However, Xen's words were only carried away by the wind.

There wasn’t a response from the bushes. But Xen never lowered his arm so as the adventurers anticipated every moment. They witnessed how sharp Xen was on sensing things as well as the quickness to react to potential threats. This removed the wonder of how he reached this far and further validated his strength.

Perhaps the creature hiding behind it curl in fear of them.

Or maybe it was preparing to pounce.

Monsters are sometimes unpredictable especially when they are setting an ambush. For that reason, he doesn’t let his guard down nor ever shift his eyes, as if his gaze was peering through the bushes.

For a moment he believes that it might be the owner of those clothes. But he already dismissed the idea after he found the sword. He can still allow it if she forgot her clothes, but to forget a weapon behind, the trusted partner that decides your fate was already way beyond the highest order of stupidity.

She is prowling in the depths of the forest, which only the strong can reach. This isn’t a place for klutzes.

Counting several reasonable assumptions, he arrived at the conclusion that this unknown creature hiding in the bushes is definitely a monster.

Not just any monster. It’s a monster that can skillfully hide its presence from him— which only shows that this monster is not something to be underestimated.

It must be watchful eyes that I was sensing earlier. Xen surmised.

“Uhmm lad… Maybe it’s the owner.” Delg asked in concern, still thinking that this was the owner. 

“She would have showed herself otherwise or made a sign if she cant do so. This isn’t a human.” he said flatly.

He moves one step then another getting closer to the tree. By doing so, Perhaps he might trigger a reaction if he was so close to its arm's reach.

He glances back at the clothes. A premonition dawned on him, as he regarded the worst possible scenario.

Perhaps the monster has already—

The rustling continued intermittently. He peered at bushes intently, anticipating the creature to come out. And after a few twitches on the leaves, a ball shape translucent creature jumped out in the open.

“A slime?”

The slime bounce happily on the grass enjoying the sunlight that reflected on its body.

“Oh… so it’s just a slime huh.” Delg said as he lowered his weapons.

Slimes are considered the weakest monsters and have the least of a threat to humans. They were so weak that even children make them target practice for magic as well as swordsmanship. So popular with rookie adventurers as well. 

That being that case, the party ease themselves up and lowered their weapons.

“Well, this might a false alarm but let’s keeps our guards up. We had strange encounters lately so we must exercise the utmost cautions. Even if you felt the slightest suspicions, don’t hesitate open up.”

Aldo said, reminding everyone of the place they were.

“Yeah I agree, But must I say I was surprise by how quick for you to react Sir, Xen.” Alea remarked as she walked towards him.

“Welp, Im gonna go back inspecting the armaments. Perhaps we can find something that may point us to the owner.” 

“I’ll go search around here.”

Delg walked back to the rock and Aldo went around the area. They don’t know anything about the person and her personal effects so perhaps they may find some hints there.

“Is there something about the slime. You seem can’t removes you gaze on it.” Alea said as she noticed Xen still observing the slime.

Xen left his gaze on the slime and face Alea.

“It just… something doesn’t feel right about this place…”He brought back his attention to the slime before he added, “and that slime too.”

“Can’t blame you, I felt a mysterious aura in this place.”

“Not only that, probably due to this was the only well lighted area on the forest with birds chirping away though the trees. A serene place against the gloomy atmosphere earlier.” Livia joined in walking towards them.“But, I don’t think there something we should worry about a slime.”

“I hope so.” Xen sighed. 

maybe I'm overthinking things. Xen wondered as he watched the slime heading to the rocks, bouncing at the embankment of the stream. Its jiggly movement which could be adorable solicited a repressed smile behind his mask. 

“It’s seems to be alone… strange, slimes travels in group. But where are the others I wonder?” Livia cupped her chin and glanced at the bushes.

“Perhaps they’re still hiding. No I can’t sense any other slime so maybe it was really all alone… here……Huh?” Xen eyes open wide. A bolt of realization hit so hard as he slowed down to a stop.

The slime is traveling alone when in fact it is supposed to be in groups. But there are cases that slime does travel alone though it was rare. He understood that much. But what bothered him the most was- 

How come I didn’t sense its presence?!

To make matters worse why he didn’t realize sooner! 

It would be one thing if he is facing high-ranking monsters which most possess the intelligence to hide their presence. But that isn’t possible for a slime that has known for its low intelligence. Note Xen sensed the presence of dire wolves from afar. but How come he can’t sense this little creature that is almost within his arm's reach?

Here in the depths of the forest where the strong monster roams. The fact that it was living here means it has the means to survive in this harsh environment. perhaps it evolved with the state of the environment. Though it is possible that it survives just by hiding, or the monsters here just weren't interested in slimes.

Though there is a possibility this is entirely wrong since he isn’t very much knowledgeable about monsters on a deeper level. But since slimes is a well know monster, he more or less knows its nature. The way it hides its presence much better than monsters way stronger proved that there was something more about this creature.

And it’s making him intrigued.

I don’t know if it is just a variant of slime… but this clearly different from the slimes I knew.

“hey…you’re going to bore hole in the slime if you keep staring at it.” Alea jested. Livia approached closer, perhaps curious as to why Xen still not letting go of his suspicions to the poor and harmless slime.

“Did notice something to that slime Sir Xen.” asked in concern 

“Yeah… will you keep your distance for minute.”

“Huh? What are you—”

Without waiting for her response, He pointed his gun-shaped hands at the slime. The magic circle instantly weave itself from the tip of his finger and then fired off a projectile of light at the slime.

Slime was known for its slow mobility. However, to their surprise, the orb-shaped creatures, jumped sidewards, avoiding the bullet that vanish as it hits the ground.

“heeeh!?” Livia screamed in shock.

“I knew it.” Xen muttered, it seems his intuition was right on the mark.

 

 

0