Chapter 2
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The journey to Bayou Nwa took longer than Shadow had expected considering that she and Nuvus had to constantly slow down in order for Kyla to keep up with their much faster horses. Eventually, Nuvus led them to a shack in the middle of the bayou.

 

“Here we are,” exclaimed Nuvus as he pulled his horse to halt outside of the shack.

 

“It doesn’t look like much,” commented Kyla.

 

“I don’t see any sign of them being here,” noted Shadow.

 

“Oh they must be on a ‘shine run,” said Nuvus as he got off his horse.

 

“They do know we are meeting them here, right,” asked Shadow, suddenly suspicious of everything.

 

“No,” replied Nuvus nonchalantly as he tied his horse to a hitching rail.

 

“What,” exclaimed Shadow and Kyla.

 

“They won’t mind trust me,” he reassured.

 

Shadow and Kyla had no choice but to trust the shirtless Canadian as they entered the shack behind him. Nuvus led the way down a set of stairs to the basement, expertly pulling back a section of wall to reveal another room. A man with an apron and red handkerchief looked at them as they walked in.

 

“Ello, your bosses are not back yet,” said the man in a heavy French accent.

 

“That’s alright Frenchy, we’ll be at the bar,”said Nuvus.

 

The French man gave him an annoyed look when called Frenchy.

 

Nuvus swung open another set of doors that revealed yet another expansive room filled with people and even a band on one side. He confidently strode toward the bar and made his way behind it to start serving himself.

 

“Oh where are my manners, you want some eh,” asked Nuvus from behind the bar.

 

Kyla immediately made herself comfortable at the bar leaning against and taking the glass he handed her. She sniffed at it, her nose wrinkling up immediately.

 

“Smells strong, what is it?”

 

Nuvus took a sip from his own glass.

 

“Tastes like…berry cobbler.”

 

Kyla shrugged her shoulders before taking a gulp of the clear liquid.

 

“Oh god that shit is strong,” exclaimed Kyla as a shiver racked her body, “it’s good though.”

 

Nuvus cracked a smile as Kyla took another sip.

 

“You want some too Shadow?”

 

“No, I’m good,” replied Shadow as she put up a hand to stop Nuvus from giving her a glass.

 

She leaned her elbow on the bar, making sure she could keep an eye on the only exit they had. Shadow never fully relaxed as Kyla and Nuvus went shot for shot with each other. She marveled at Kyla, a skinny girl in her own right, holding her own against Nuvus, who was not only bigger than her but also far more used to drinking strong moonshine. They were good and drunk by the time Shadow heard footsteps and voices coming down the stairs. Shadow straightened up as two men walked through the doors. The first man was tall and dressed all in brown from the cowboy hat on his head down to the roping boots on his feet. He was clean shaven with maybe a hint of stubble possibly in his mid 30s.

 

At least he has a shirt on thankfully, she thought.

 

Her attention turned to the shorter, heavy set man following the first. He was wearing a long sleeve blue shirt, with a black hat, pants and boots. He too was wearing wire framed glasses. He seemed to be in his 40s.

 

The two men had been deep in conversation as they walked in but immediately stopped in their tracks once they noticed her. They looked from her to Kyla and Nuvus, who were in the middle of a slap fight that Kyla seemed to be winning.

 

“Nuvus.”

 

At the sound of his name, Nuvus turned to see the two men standing in the entryway. A large toothy smile spread across his extremely red face. Just as he opened his mouth to say something to them, Kyla’s hand flew through the air, making contact with Nuvus’ cheek, which sounded like a whip cracking through the air. The slap sent him sprawling to the floor.

 

“Ha I won,” Kyla drunkenly decreed, still yet to notice the other two men standing in the room.

 

The two men burst out in full belly laughing, bringing Kyla’s attention to them.

 

“Who are these guys,” she said loudly, slurring her words.

 

“I’m guessing they’re Nuvus’ contacts,” stated Shadow as the men were still doubled over laughing.

 

“Oh ok,” replied Kyla as she swayed back and forth on her feet.

 

“You might want to sit down, Kyla,” suggested Shadow as she moved to help her friend.

 

Shadow barely caught Kyla’s arm as she started to stumble backwards.

 

“I swear I’m fine,” argued Kyla as Shadow very nearly carried her to a chair at a nearby table.

 

“Sure you are champ’,” said the taller man in brown as he wiped a tear from his eye, he had been laughing so hard.

 

“Oh god she slapped the shit out of you, Nuvus,” cackled the heavy set man in blue.

 

“I was distracted,” corrected Nuvus as he picked himself up off the floor.

 

“I’m glad you all had a good laugh,” said Shadow, wanting them to focus on why they were here.

 

“Oh that’s right,” said Nuvus as he sobered up thanks to the slap and splashing water on his face.

 

“Shadow, Kyla, this is Casey and Mr. K,” introduced Nuvus indicating to the man in brown, Casey, and the man in blue, Mr. K.

 

“Hi,” said Shadow quietly as she raised a hand in greeting.

 

“Casey, Mr. K, that’s Shadow,” he said as he pointed to her, “and that’s Kyla.”

 

“Shadow, huh,” mused Casey, “interesting name.”

 

“She’s quiet and can follow you like a shadow without you even knowing,” informed Kyla, still very drunk.

 

“I bet she can,” said Mr. K, his eyes roving over both women.

 

His gaze made Shadow involuntarily hug her crossed arms closer to her body as a sheild.

 

“So what are you two ladies doing here with Nuvus,” questioned Casey, with a deep voice and drawl.

 

“We’re here on business,” explained Shadow, “in fact Nuvus was going to introduce us to the trader business and said you two could help.”

 

“So you want to talk business,” said Casey as he walked towards the table Kyla and Nuvus were seated at.

 

“Yes we do,” said Shadow as she shifted on her feet where she was standing besides a seated Kyla.

 

“Then you better have a seat at the table if you want to talk,” said Casey as he pulled a chair over to her.

 

“Thank you,” muttered Shadow as she sat down. She wasn’t expecting the outlaw to push the chair in for her like a gentleman.

 

Casey seated himself in the chair closest to Shadow, while Mr. K took the only seat left next to Nuvus.

 

They discussed how Casey and Mr. K would help establish Shadow and Kyla in the trader business; although Shadow had to do the negotiating for Kyla, since she had fallen asleep on Shadow’s shoulder.

 

“We can reconvene over at Valentine in a week’s time,” said Casey, “that will give Mr. K and I plenty of time to get our business handled down here.”

 

 “That will work for us,” answered Shadow.

 

“Very well,” said Mr. K, “I am off to camp since I have to get up early in the morning anyway.”

 

With that said Mr. K stood and headed for the doors.

 

“I think I’ll do the same,” said Nuvus as he stifled a yawn.

 

“Nuvus wait,” called Shadow but he had already passed the heavy wood doors and didn’t hear her.

 

“Come on,” said Casey as he stood.

 

Shadow looked up at him, staying seated since Kyla’s head was still resting on her shoulder.

 

Casey walked behind her chair to stand behind Kyla’s. He easily pulled the chair back far enough that he was able to pick her small limp body up and throw her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

 

“You comin’ or what,” he asked as he started to walk towards the exit.

 

“Where are we going,” questioned Shadow as she jumped up from her seat to walk after Casey.

 

“Back to camp.”

 

“Camp?”

 

“Yeah my camp,” called Casey over his shoulder as he carried Kyla up the stairs.

 

Shadow held the door open for Casey to walk through as they walked out of the moonshine shack. Night had long since fallen. She paused admiring the glowing green orbs in the air around them. Casey continued towards the horses, slinging Kyla across the saddle of the black Thoroughbred.

 

Huh just like my old stud, he thought to himself.

 

“What are you looking at,” asked Casey after he noticed Shadow was still standing just outside the front door.

 

“Las luciérnagas,” replied Shadow, still staring at the orbs.

 

Casey furrowed his brows together in confusion before asking, “What?”

 

“Las luciérnagas,” reiterated Shadow, pointing at the green orbs.

 

Casey looked at what she was pointing at.

 

“Ooh,” he said now understanding, “you mean the lightin’ bugs.”

 

Shadow cocked her head to the side, looking in his general direction as she mulled the new name over.

 

“They’re so pretty,” she said finally.

 

“Yeah I guess so,” said Casey as he looked at the glowing bugs.

 

They stood there a moment longer before Casey said, “we should get goin’, it’ll be a long ride.”

 

Shadow came back to the present as she walked towards Rosa. She swung up behind the saddle, not even attempting to take the leg up Casey offered. He untied Kyla’s Kentucky Saddler, before swinging into the saddle of his own horse, a cream colored Turkoman. Casey led the way out of the swamp, knowing each turn like the back of his hand even in the dark. Shadow kept her mare close behind Casey’s Turkoman, whose cream coat made it easier to see in the dim moonlight. She did not want to get lost in an unfamiliar area filled with alligators and snakes at every turn.

 

Eventually, they came across Casey’s camp that had a fire already crackling. A man greeted Casey as he rode his horse to the hitching rail while leading the Kentucky Saddler. Shadow halted Rosa on the other side of the Turkoman, making sure Kyla was still balanced on the saddle before getting off.

 

“I’ll take her,” said Casey as he slung Kyla back over his shoulder, “you two can stay in my tent for tonight while she sleeps it off.”

 

“Where are you going to sleep,” asked Shadow as she followed Casey into a spacious tent.

 

“I have plenty of things to take care of so I won’t be staying here anyway,” stated Casey as he placed Kyla roughly on the only cot in the tent.

 

Kyla slightly groaned as she curled up on her side.

 

“Thank you,” Shadow said earnestly as Casey walked past her.

 

“You’re welcome ma’ma,” Casey said as he paused to tip his hat to her before leaving into the night.

0