Chapter 10 – The Nascent Council
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Malachi Armstrong

 

Day 3

 

Nervously, Malachi sat waiting for the meeting he had called to begin. It had been easy for him to decide on the location in a corner of the lounge. The people he wanted to talk with were those who had accompanied him into the tunnels. Still, the sword acolyte didn’t want to exclude anyone who might want to join. He was especially concerned with making sure it didn’t seem like they were forming a separate group from the rest of the sixty. The redheaded man firmly held the position that they were in this together and would encourage unity to the best of his ability.

His agenda for the meeting was set mentally as a series of bullet points to go over. The first thing was as a group to go over what happened in the tunnels. There was no doubt in his mind that the seven of them had spent a great deal of time going through it in their heads already. Now, they would bring those musing together to see where they stood. Hopefully from there they could make a solid plan. Figure out how to surmount the danger posed by those rat things. 

That was the most immediate issue at hand, but the two books laying before him contained the next two. The opened one was his spellbook that Malachi had been using to distract himself from overthinking the meeting. This was also the only time he had to read the puzzling thing since the sword acolyte had chosen his path. So far as a distraction, the spellbook had been moderately successful, but his understanding of magic wasn’t any clearer yet. The words of the book were almost hypnotic, as some phrases echoed over and over through his mind. Whether that was a good indication, Malachi wasn’t sure.

The second book was given to him by Julia and was a major concern for this meeting because of the implications. The two of them had stayed up until their eyes burned discussing the common trends found among the sixty. Nothing definitive had been discovered, but the census would be important in the pursuit of finding out why them. The bearded man had no intention of keeping that data to himself. Spreading it around was Malachi’s intention. It would be best to get as many minds as possible looking at it. Sixty different perspectives were a good resource to utilize. He wanted to make sure every angle had been considered. Of course, Julia’s census had more practical uses, and that was mainly what he hoped to discuss at this gathering.

For the meeting, Malachi had laid claim to one of the larger tables to choose from. It was oval in shape. He had positioned the table off on its own in the back of the common area. Upon waking, he had asked Julia to find the others and bring them here. Patiently, the sword acolyte waited for the other six who had gone beyond the gate to gather. 

Rosy-cheeked Julia was the first to arrive. The grinning Clarissa followed her friend to the table, looking curious, but expectant. Worried this could be boring, guessed Malachi. As if anything here could really be considered boring. Necessary at worst!

“I was able to find everyone, and they all agreed to come,” informed Julia. “I think Warner only accepted because Vincent and Phelian did... was weirdly grumpy about it. Maybe he was just tired from training? They evidently got up even earlier than you, Malachi.”

Yawning, Clarissa added her two cents, “That may be a valid theory. I know I’m still tired from my sleep being cut short by cap’n responsible here. Still, the real answer is that the big guy is simply unhappy that someone took the initiative before him.”

“Initiative?” asked Malachi. “The meeting, huh? It was just the right thing to do. We need to organize before the rations run out.”

 The two women made to take a seat. Julia was choosing a seat towards the middle of the table, but was nonchalantly hip-checked to the side by the archer. Stiffly, Julia sat in the seat right beside Malachi that the humming Clarissa had forced her to. The bearded man studied the two with confusion. Trying to make sense as to what had just happened. Neither acknowledged it, and the conversation continued before he got a clear answer.

“That doesn’t mean the big guy is any less of a sour puss about it,” explained Clarissa. “There’s a guy who is used to being in charge.”

  “Well, he’ll have to get over it,” said Julia with disdain. “Not like we’re electing a king or something. Just figuring out what to do next.”

“If Warner is an experienced leader, then all the better for him to join us,” assured Malachi. “His input will be valuable.”

 “Be careful you don’t give him the kingdom by accident,” suggested Clarissa flippantly, while leaning back in her chair.

“There isn’t any kingdom to give?” replied Malachi unsure.

Rolling her eyes, Julia stage whispered, “Dude, she’s saying not to let him just take over cause he wants it.”

“O,” he uttered with a blink. “In retrospect that was an obvious metaphor, and… I am dumb. Let me point out, I’m not in charge any more than he is. We’re all just… people. The sixty need to come together, but it’s not like we’re forming a government here.” To himself, he added, If I thought him the better leader… then I would step aside. Until then, I’ll just help organize us.

“You can take the people out of civilization, but you can’t take the civilization out of the people,” murmured the redhead.

The sword acolyte held up a hand to stall Julia. “I get that one. We may have been taken from everything we knew, but people will always reform society.”

“Bingo, one way or another,” answered Clarissa. “All I’m saying is a government, or whatever... will come together. How formal that will be… ehh, I’m happy to debate that… wait, strike that. I wouldn’t be happy to debate semantics. My point is, cap’n responsible, the seeds for the nature of… let’s say…. leadership, It will be sown at this meeting of yours.”

“You say that like a forlorn prophecy,” smirked Malachi. “The sixty are good people. Everyone I have talked with so far, including you two, have been good people.”

Julia looked uncomfortable disagreeing. “The road to hell is paved with good intentions, Malachi. I’m not saying anyone is bad or secretly evil… just that... well, just because a bunch of good people come together doesn't mean everything will come out right without effort. That’s not how people work. We’re flawed, brilliant, but flawed.”

Frowning Malachi didn’t answer right away. Their lack of faith was deflating, but not about anything he could deny outright. There was the entire history of humanity that proved their point, but Malachi still wanted to believe in the best of the sixty. 

Encouraging faith in each other is going to have to be an important goal for me, considered the sword acolyte. I don’t want to see suspicion undermining us when we're up against the wall like this. Monsters hunting aside.

“I guess, I take your point,” grumbled Malachi. “Either way, forming a council... isn’t the purpose of this meeting. I just want to talk the issues out… See what is needed to get everyone ready to face the nightmare beyond those gates.”

“Calm down guy,” said Clarissa with a slam as she brought all four legs of the chair to the floor. “We’re not asking you to give up faith, or become a mad dictator for the “greater good.” Just want ya to be more cautious and be aware of the effects of your decisions.”

“Also not let Warner take over,” clarified the shieldmaiden.

Pointing finger guns with a wink at her friend, the archer added, “Yes, also don’t let him rule the roost. I trust your judgment over his.”

“We barely know the guy,” argued Malachi with a stern expression. “Cut him some slack, would you?” He hoped that in time Warner would learn not to alienate the rest of the sixty, or they would come to see his better qualities. Those qualities, that frankly, I feel are there, but haven’t seen much of, admitted the bearded man. 

“I’ll try,” agreed Julia without any enthusiasm. None. 

Clarissa grinned, “I cut everyone some slack. No one lives up to my standards, except Julia!” The redhead pounced on her friend and mussed up Julia’s hair. The dark-haired woman growled and blushed deeply while trying to return the wavy hair to some semblance of order.

“Come on Clarissa!,” scolded the shieldmaiden. “You know, I just got my hair into order this morning. I didn’t know there was a brush in my room until I took a shower. I thought you were just lucky enough to have super easy to care for hair.”

“Aww ju ju, but that’s what makes messing up your hair now more fun,” laughed Clarissa. “Plus it dispelled that moody funk we summoned with… gck… politics talk. Way too early in the morning for that.”

“We literally don’t know when the morning is,” glared Julia.

“Which means it is when I say it is,” decided Clarissa.

Shaking her head vigorously, Julia rebutted, “That isn’t how that works! You can’t just arbitrarily decide that!”

“Why not? It isn’t like you can prove it isn’t early in the morning. It could be, say, seven AM right now!”

Malachi injected thoughtfully, “She makes a point, Julia.”

“What? No, Clarissa doesn’t get to just decide when time is!”

“O’ no, not that,” he hurriedly agreed. “I meant she had a point in that we can say what time it is. We should look into getting clocks and setting an official time. Give people a rhythm to live by.”

“Like a dungeon standard time?” queried Julia.

“Exactly like that. We also have a name for it now,” smiled Malachi.

“That was just an example! I hadn’t meant it to be the name,” implored the shieldmaiden.

Looking proud of her friend, Clarissa ignored her complaints, “And yet what name could ever be better? I imagine our council will agree to it quickly.”

“Nooo… it wasn’t…” mumbled Julia. “We could come up with something better…”

“I really don’t think we could,” said Malachi as he comforted her with a pat on the shoulder. “Speaking of the others, here they come.”

The first to arrive was a sloppy Reuben who looked three cups of coffee away from half awake. The scout flopped down at the table with his chin resting heavily on the table. “Heeereee,” whispered Reuben.

“Why so exhausted?” asked Clarissa. “Get another case of rat scratch fever?”

Worried, Julia stood up, “Don’t joke red! If they got him, then we need to get a potion, quick!”

The archer rolled her eyes and dismissed it without a worry. Before Julia could express her exasperation in a shout, Reuben interrupted, “Geeez, you all are just the worse people to run into when waking up… period… No girls, I did not get attacked in any way out there. I was, however, so nervous and terrified the entire time I was out there, that when I got back… I crashed hard… and I returned not that long ago… hence  I am poop.”

“Yeah, you are!” cried Clarissa with a grin. 

Julia noted, ‘Though… strangely, you don’t smell like it for someone that was rolling it a few hours ago.”

Reuben nodded and shrugged his hands without the chin ever leaving the tabletop. “What I can say, that barrier at the Doors... it really cleans you off. Not even smell can follow you through.”

“Wow... I got to say, I’m impressed,” said Malachi with a bewildered shake of his head. “You really went out there on your own. I genuinely thought Julia was just pulling my leg, or you, her’s.”

“I wouldn’t joke about that,” grumbled the scout. “Just had to be done... and I knew I could do it. Now, having said that… I would like to figure out this mumbo jumbo in my class book before I try it again.”

“How did it feel to be out there alone, unseen in that tunnel?” pressed Malachi.

Before the scout had a chance to respond, Warner made his loud appearance, “Bet he felt like a champion among men. Those feckless little terrors unable to see him spying.” Smiling wide, the big man gave Reuben a friendly slap to the back that was a little too heavy. The praised man choked on a throat jab from the table and glared up at Warner. Not that the brawler noticed. 

Being ignored caused Reuben to raise his voice, and he snidely denied the statement, “I wasn’t feeling anything like that, you lummox! Damn near added to the shit stew out there. We all know how fast those things are. The moment I was noticed, I would have been dog meat. So, keep your manly bullshit to yourself! You gotta take those things seriously.”

Warner’s face immediately turned red. Offense flickered across his face before it went stony and the man took a heavy seat looking away from Reuben. “I ain’t playing games any more than ya’ll are,” the shoulders said bitterly while shooting a glare towards Clarissa in the direction of a snicker. Vincent and Phelian who had arrived at the same time rolled their eyes at the whole thing and took the two seats by Clarissa.

“Warner, no one thinks you're just goofing off,” assured Malachi. “Our scout here is just tired after what he did for us, and well, you sir, might want to be careful of your strength. No one enjoys a table to the throat.” He took the sting out of that last part with a warm smile. Warner gave a startled apology, but still looked wary. Appearing more awake now, Reuben waved it off while sitting up straight. 

The tension in the air relaxed, but lingered in the way it did between almost strangers.

Fearing who, and how, the silence would be broken, Malachi leaped to direct their attention while they waited for Molly to arrive. “Vincent, I believe I can speak for us all when I say you were the star of our battle. Where did you learn… to fight so well?” questioned the sword acolyte.

“I have lived the dream of being a swordsman as best as any man could in the modern age,” replied the swordsman. Vincent’s hand gripped the sword that lay across his lap. “I fenced professionally for a time… Then I spent the rest of my life doing historical fencing in every way I could find. Theater fulfilled that desire mainly.”

“Well alright, that explains how you were cool as a cucumber,” added Warner. “I didn’t notice an ounce of hesitation from you during the fight. I felt overwhelmed… y’know despite going in expecting a fight. I’ve been in many brawls from childhood and on. Fighting’s my way of life. That battle ain’t what I expected.”

Vincent smiled wanly at the large man. “On that part, I'm not sure why it was so easy for me. The rhythm of the battle took me... and I danced with it. I believe we will all find that confidence. One hundred floors is a long way.” The mood deflated with the reminder of their trial. 

“Those hundred floors seem a lot less scary now that I’ve seen what Vincent can do,” declared Julia. “Putting aside the insanity that learning magic is a thing… Personally, I’ve been worried about learning to fight, you know… just mundanely. My life didn’t involve any kind of physical combat. I lived a very modern life… my struggles were all… emotional. It’s comforting... that someone can teach me how to really use my sword and shield.”

“Your mention of historical fencing, makes me believe that swords aren’t the only thing you know,” hoped Malachi. “They aren’t the only weapons people have decided to try their hand at… I’m hoping that you know other weapon types. We could use the expertise of someone with that range of knowledge.”

“My passion is swords... has been since I saw the Princess Bride, but I know how to use most melee weapons,” agreed the swordsman. “The base forms, at least. Specialized weapons can be tricky… I would be happy to give demonstrations. Some people might not believe that they need the lessons. I’m sure Warner isn’t the only one who's has some experience to fall back on.”

“I’m not expecting any of us to play the boss, nor enact an ultimatum by what authority we may have garnered,” cautioned Malachi. “The route I was thinking we should take, is encouraging them to listen to you, Vincent. Being one of the seven to go beyond the gate, and the show you put on with Warner yesterday... should go a long way towards seeing it done. This, of course, assumes our swordsman is willing to shoulder that duty. It is a lot to ask… still, I expect there is no one better.”

It looked like Warner had been about to add, or to counter that, but Phelian pulled the table’s attention when he suddenly stood up. “You are right, Malachi,” began the aspiring warrior. “I saw the same miraculous skill as all of you, but as one who has trained with him directly… I can only confirm that there is no one else worth considering. Vincent, I second the motion. I have only begun under your tutelage, but you won’t have to take the burden alone… Whatever aid you acquire, I’m your man.”

“A touching offer,” responded Vincent with cheerful resignation. “How could I refuse either of you? My ego has been stroked, my sense of duty hooked, and who would really say no to such an empathic purpose? We are further in luck as teaching is something I am already familiar with. Though I won’t be able to see everyone to the level of a master. I can, however, definitely show the basics to the willing.”

“I wasn’t expecting anything more than that,” smiled Malachi with a pleased nod. Regally, he searched the others at the table. “Since we officially have ourselves a weapons trainer, please spread the word that Vincent can, and is willing, to teach the sixty. Please convey this as a suggestion rather than… a demand.”

A haughty look formed around Warner’s sneer, “So, setting standards, eh Malachi? You're feeling real comfortable in charge, I see.”

“A suggestion, just a suggestion,” replied Malachi mildly. He did his best to ignore Julia rolling her eyes and Clarissa aggressively gesturing towards Warner to convey “Told you so.” It wasn’t that he was unaware of the power struggle coming, or even that the sword acolyte hadn’t been conscious of his taking the leader’s position before the two of them brought it up. The simple truth was that he didn’t want the stress of taking control, but knew someone had to. 

Working slowly to secure his position was a combination of pragmatism and a hope that someone better than him would show up. It didn’t seem likely any time soon though. Malachi couldn’t trust the brazen Warner to take the lead. Keeping the man down had to be done with finesse. Otherwise, a blunt response would only guarantee a blowout later. 

“Seems a little more than a suggestion, my man,” said Warner, revving up another attack. “I ain’t blind that coming from us all, that it’s a weighted suggestion. More than a suggestion really. So people will listen as you said. That’s a good thing… I can agree with the intention... What I’m wondering is, why should we even be taking “suggestions” from you. Who put you in charge?”

“No one’s in charge, Warner,” answered Malachi mildly. A smile played across his face, sad before becoming natural. The two women to his left began to react, but he cut them off with a small gesture. It was playing all into what they wanted without their interference. 

How many times have I seen this play out since the playground? thought Malachi. It’s another of those repeating patterns… without effort on my part… the pieces come together and I know the moves to see them tumble the way they want. Even what I want, but I can’t pick anything other than the best outcome… 

“We just need to organize, and I thought Vincent would fulfill that need. No worries though, my friend. I hadn’t forgotten you, nor do I believe you were lacking in martial ability. Our swordsman will see to the weapon proficiency of the sixty, but that’s not the only aspect of fighting is it? Would I be wrong to say, Vincent, that you have less understanding of active battles?”

“No, my experience runs along mostly duels... and scripted fights,” agreed the swordsman, weighing his words. “I did some more active stuff, but it was never quite to my taste. To what I was looking for.”

Malachi directed Warner’s attention to Vincent. “That is where I was hoping you could do your part. Teach some fighting practicals, and maybe some tactics. Reuben, with your military training I was hoping you could add to the group tactics and strategy. Not expecting a little West Point, just some general concepts.”

“O’ yeah, I gotcha Malachi,” replied Reuben, surprised to be suddenly pulled into the conversation.

The sword acolyte turned to Warner to see the expected reaction. There was a calculating shift to the big man’s face while holding eye contact. Right now, he is realizing that I have pinned him in a corner… both implying that his outburst was an issue of pride at being seen less than Vincent and if he continues with his real reason... Warner reveals how power-hungry he is... Now, the big man should accept the position. He’ll be comforted by the idea that it gives him a chance to recruit support. Blah… I feel so manipulative, but this is for the best.

“Well… yeah… I’ve been doing that already with Phelian... so, yeah... I can do that for everyone,” uttered Warner as he accepted the part reluctantly.

“Great, I’m sure the sixty will appreciate your insights,” concluded Malachi pleasantly.

The grin returned as Warner threw his arms behind his head and declared, “Of course they will!” A good-natured laugh came free from the man.

“I hope the meeting didn't start without me,” asked Molly as she came to stand behind the empty seat beside Warner. 

“We were just discussing who could offer their martial prowess to train the sixty,” explained Malachi. “I figured that it would be alright to go ahead and ask Vincent, Warner, and Reuben. After all, we had a chance to discuss it yesterday.” Warner’s eyes flashed to Molly asking a silent question. Malachi was sure that it was to ask why she hadn’t warned him. The woman’s reply was a cool stare with the clear message that she was under no obligations.

“Ahh, yes, I don’t mind missing that,” nodded Molly. “I imagine that all three agreed as expected.” Malachi assured her that was how it happened. Her eyes brushed over the whole group, but stuttered over the notebooks on the table. “Where did you get those?” the tall woman inquired eagerly. Hungry

Clarissa, happy to break her silence, responded, “For the price of a core, you can get all sorta doodads.” She pulled out two of the starry cores and rolled them to the cool-eyed woman. “I recommend the arcane pens! They’re rad as hell!” To Julia’s protest, the redhead revealed the picture that the dark-haired woman had been working on. It was a half-sketched picture of a sunny hillside as something non-euclidean distorted space as it breached reality. It was already a striking piece with vibrant colors.

“The suggestion is noted,” said Molly half distracted as she appreciated the picture. “I would like to get my own materials for notes before we begin… is that alright?”

There was a pause as no one reacted, and then Malachi, acting to the silent consensus, gestured for Molly to go ahead. 

After a little blue lightning, all seven were sitting at the table ready to hear what the bearded man had to say. He studied those before him, chosen more by chance than personal considerations. That Julia was a part of this was both a refreshing and stressful fact. The shieldmaiden had already begun to haunt his dreams. Perhaps already planning more mischief, Clarissa was a potential disrupter as much as she was a needed tension breaker. A powerful reminder that chaos would always play a part.

Vincent was an easy factor in the meeting. A simple pattern of someone who would listen and offer an opinion when asked. Phelian wasn’t far behind his swordmaster, but much more likely to voice thoughts when passion was stoked. It also wouldn't be unfair to say that he would be a good gauge for the more optimistic of the sixty. 

Warner was a potential pitfall in every conversation, but Malachi was determined to draw out the good he had to offer. It was his opinion that Molly’s sense of organization would be a fantastic asset for this meeting. Her only downside was that, unlike Julia, the cool-eyed woman had her own agenda. Whether that continued to coincide with his own plans was unpredictable at the moment.

The final member of this gathering, Reuben, had valuable information to relay to all of them. His scouting report was priceless. He had some worry that it could derail the meeting before getting to everything, but Malachi was sure it would work out.

 He looked down at the two books for a reminder of purpose and courage. “Thanks for coming. There’s a lot to talk about.”

0