Chapter 15 – Final Preparations
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 5

 

Warner Papadopoulos

 

Warner arrived at the morning meeting in good cheer. He pulled up an extra chair to throw his legs on. Several gave the action and his sideways position a glance. They didn’t say anything. Nothing beyond an eye roll at least. The brawler simply grinned and cockily crossed arms behind his head. 

Malachi acknowledged him with a respectful nod. The bearded man may have outmaneuvered Warner from taking the lead, but he held no grudge. The group had spoken, and it was his nature, upbringing to accept that fact. Didn’t mean the brawler wasn’t watchful for a mistake. If a leader is unworthy, it’s my pleasure to take ‘em out, mused Warner.

The last two days had been one rumble and tumble after another. It had put the big man in a good mood. With more fun coming, he was raised further into an excellent mood. Putting aside a very real possibility of death by giant rats, this has the potential to be the most fun I have ever had, thought the brawler. His was a battle-forged heart. A fight would always be seen as a good time.

 Warner saw his own sore muscles reflected in the faces and stiff motions of those at the table. They had pushed themselves hard as well. Exhausted they may have been, but there was a positive change over the group. There was a sharp edge of pride in their eyes. The last meeting had been one where everyone was on the nervous brink. Confusion and fear had been an underlying theme of the whole thing.

We were asking questions that needed asking, he reflected. Didn’t hide the fact that we were grasping at whatever we could to make sense of this situation. Now there’s a goal to point at and we’ve found the power to see it through.

Damian had joined them at the table to bring their number up to nine. The man was a curiosity to Warner. His life of political maneuvering and investigation had taught him to look for the pivots of power. This spell-slinging acolyte roared with importance to him. Almost like a prophet of Mana, Damian had brought a wave of understanding to the Sixty. 

The brawler had tried to turn his charms on to get the obsidian man in his corner. The results had been confusing. While friendly, Warner had been rebuffed with oblivious replies. The big man was unsure how to pursue that any further. It might be that Damian was the sort of person you planned around, rather than with in the game of politics. A power in their own right, but one that acted to their own rhythms. A wild card. 

Warner noted to himself, One of those important hassles.

With them all assembled, Malachi started the meeting off. “Thanks for gathering again, everyone.” Their current leader lit up with a smile for them all. “I’m sure there is some appreciation that this was set a little later than last time. I know, I wasn’t up to doing much of anything early this morning... Or at least this theoretical morning of ours.”

There were smiles and a couple of chuckles at the humor. Warner nodded in reflective sympathy. He may not have been feeling as much physical soreness as the other, but there was a straining sensation that he was feeling inside himself. It was like the echo of an impact vibrating through him over and over. It almost felt more in the air than a part of him. 

That’s gotta be from my Mana use, decided Warner. Pushin’ a muscle I ain’t had to use before. With my normal muscles, I already knew how to move. That’s why I mostly skipped what they’re going through.

“There is only one issue on the table today,” continued Malachi. “Whether we’re ready to tackle the rats, or not. Also, the manner we do it in. The stakes are we need food. Today, the Sixty will eat their fifth and final ration from picking a Path. First question then... are we ready?”

A silence fell over the table as the nine of them considered how to answer. Warner’s thoughts were a flicker of snapshots. They were of the various bouts he had gone through. The brawler compared his opponent’s skill to his own as the memory replayed. He also considered the progress that had been shown over all the sessions with them. Overall, there had been massive improvements for the Sixty. Even with the high enthusiasm for claiming Mana, it was impressive.

 It’s like everyone is extra intuitive, contemplated Warner. They’re clumsy and unsure… like a gaggle of fools in a fight… but show them the way once… Maybe something to do with that mental stuff the others talked about?

 The brawler pushed the concern to the side and said, “The lot of ‘em are “still half-baked” as my Nannie would say. There’s a couple I would be willing to take though. At a certain point, the only way to get any better is some experience. Y’know, get cut and scratched... you learn a lot.”

“Interesting way to put it, but he isn’t wrong,” agreed Vincent. “If we had the time, I would love to drill everyone more before another fight. Several more days I would say. Clearly, that won’t do… Right now… play it carefully and... I don’t think anyone will die.”

“At current skill levels there will be many wounded,” declared Molly. “Dealing with that will be simply a matter of organization and if properly prepared for it shouldn’t be much of a hindrance.” She tapped her notebook as she continued, “I had already been working on a system in case we had to use the “zerg” plan to acquire the necessary cores. There wouldn’t be much tweaking needed for it to be serviceable for a smaller group. With the healers having surfaced, it would be even more efficient.  I also advocate that we are ready.”

“How many healers do we got now?” interjected Clarissa. “I heard about the priestly dude who inspired that serious girl… uh, Vivian, into getting a healing spell.”

Molly answered quickly, “Four. All seem to be faith-based casters.”

“There is another one then,” offered Damian mildly. “Allen MacIssac has a healing spell. We were exchanging theories on Mana. Mostly he has fire magic, but showed off a healing spell too. Called Passon’s Warmth. Very interesting to see.”

“Damn, five is pretty nice,” nodded Warner. “This is gonna go better than expected.”

“Especially with the reveal that Mana control negates the sickness we felt from the Ratsin’s attacks,” pointed out Rueben. “That's a hell of an upswing for us.”

“We are in good shape, but let’s not get overconfident,” broke in Julia. “Don’t forget how messed up it is out there. This should never be seen as a walk in the park.” 

The table grew quiet again as the positive outlook drained away. Warner observed everyone become grimly introspective. The only exceptions were Julia, who looked like a stern mother who is so sure of her warnings, and Malachi, who just watched them all quietly.

A bit of a killjoy, but she ain’t wrong, frowned Warner. I wonder what that guy is thinking of all this? Is he the planning type like Molly, or is he more of a “guide the flow” type leader? Seems more like the latter…

Passionately, Phelian broke the gloomy silence, “We must not forget the dangers, but I believe we should still celebrate our new strengths. We aren’t doomed. We’re ready.”

“Enough of us are at least,” grinned Vincent while tapping the aspiring warrior on the shoulder with a fist.

“We’ll rise,” assured Phelian, unwavering.

“Of course,” smiled Malachi. “It would seem that there is a general agreement that we’re ready to try again. Strong enough to make a real effort, rather than one with overwhelming numbers or just a few of us risking it. The next question then, when? I see only two options worth considering. Today or early tomorrow. The latter gives us another day to train, but means we fight on an empty stomach. I believe that the wisest course is to go today. I recall a saying from history, “an army marches on its stomach.””

“Today, go while we have full stomachs,” voted Julia. Warner wasn’t surprised by the quick response. The shield girl had been in the current leader's pocket since the beginning.

“Man…let’s do it today,” whined Clarissa. “I’m getting antsy with all this talk about it. Let’s just get it done. Or started or whatever.” Also not surprising, but the brawler was fairly sure that the redhead was being honest rather than just supporting Malachi.

“I’m not sure how much of a difference a day could make,” began Vincent. “The advancement of the Sixty over the last two days has been extraordinary. Normally, I would say another day couldn’t make much of a difference. Based off our progress, it might matter.”

“Would it matter enough to make up for fighting while hungry?” asked Phelian. “I don’t know about you, but I have no desire to try fighting like that. Coding was a nightmare when I was trying to lose weight by fasting… All I was doing was sitting too! I vote for today.”

Reuben simply said, “Food before famine.”

“Further testing of my spells is necessary,” offered Damian. “I do not see any reason to put off an opportunity to learn. There is so much to understand... and the danger will not change in a day.”

“Concerns aside, I’m raring to go,” grinned Warner. “Last fight was sorta of a draw, so I want a clear-cut victory this time. I say today is the day. Let’s kick some monster ass. I’d say the “todays” win, Malachi.”

The current leader met the brawler’s eyes. There was the tiniest pause as the big man felt like he was being seen through. It wasn’t a cold feeling, but it was unpleasant even with the bearded man’s warm smile. “Yes, it looks like we are going today,” agreed Malachi. “Would anyone like to disagree? Vincent? You had concerns.”

“No, I was just voicing my observations,” explained Vincent. “Today works just fine for me.”

“Good,” nodded Malachi. “The final question. Who do we take out there? All sixty would be a clusterfuck… that is not worth considering.” 

Blinking, Warner was thrown enough to forget the question momentarily. The current leader’s speech was refined enough that the sudden crude word was a shock. He found himself reevaluating the man again. There’s some real living in his past, decided Warner. Not a fancy kid, or at least not just one.

“I volunteer Soren Hill,” piped up Clarissa with enthusiasm. “Y’know the magic gun guy? Trenchy’s a good shot with that thing. Not on my level, but still good. I think he would be great to bring along.”

“I feel like I have to ask, does he want to come?” asked Malachi curious.

The redhead thought for a moment, “If I ask, he’ll come. Guaranteed if I taunt him enough about how much better at target practice I am, he will.”

Malachi looked like he wanted to just get past it and said “Um, as long as he agrees. I suppose I trust your judgment with ranged combat. Who else stands out?”

 “The frontline would be pretty strong with Elena Cooke and Zachariah Law on it,” suggested Warner. “I’ve been working with them on some tactics and I think they're ready for an outing.”

“I second them,” agreed Julia. “Those two have taken well to their training. I’ve had some intense matches with them.” 

She may play favorites, but still, a sensible woman, noted Warner grinning.

“If you both believe in them, let’s put them on the list,” replied the current leader.

Next Damian suggested, “My friend Allen MacIsaac should be put on the list as well. Good grasp of Mana and already has a variety to his spell list.”

“Sounds useful… speaking of healing,” consider Malachi. “Molly, since you have been keeping track of it, who of the healers should we bring?”

“Vivian comes to mind first,” started Molly. “With her comes a Kai Cooper. They are a packaged deal it would seem, but I wouldn’t say that is a bad thing. Kai has healing spells too on top of buffing spells. I suggest them and… perhaps Leon Machi. Defensive and healing spells in his repertoire.”

“Informative, I like the diversity of skills, well spells,” responded the bearded man. “Vincent, you’re being quiet now. Who do you think should come along?”

The swordsman was called out of his thoughts slowly and carefully said, “Zachariah and Elena were good choices. I would have tapped them too. There are many with potential that could be ready in a couple of days. Right now, to strengthen our numbers with good fighters, I would recommend the Sisters. Those three have shown the most enthusiasm for my teachings. I could see myself leading them as a skirmisher group to break up the swarms a little.”

“The Sisters?” asked Julia. “Are you talking about Amelia, Marceline, and Evelyn? Aren’t they a little… weird?”

“Totally twisted,” grinned Clarissa. “Fun, but twisted. I’ve seen some good coordination from those twitchy girls.”

“Weird, twitchy… regardless they would be good to take with us,” assured Vincent.

Warner watched Malachi carefully consider the issue. The bearded man’s face gave nothing away, but the brawler was sure he saw the weighing pass through the eyes. “If you vouch for them, I won’t argue,” concluded the current leader.

“My recommendation is for Hector Chase to join us,” said Phelian, taking a turn. “In drills with Warner and Rueben, Hector was always good at knowing when to move and switch. From defensive to offensive, or the other way. That man was ready whatever way things needed to go. Dependable. That’s the word for Hector.”

“I think that takes care of our frontline,” decided Malachi, looking at the list that Julia had been writing down. “Also “skirmishers” as Vincent put it. Healers are looking pretty good too. My instinct says we need more ranged power. Damian, is there anyone else you would add?”

“There isn’t anyone better than Allen,” stated the obsidian man.

“But?” opened Malachi.

“O’ I see,” understood Damian suddenly. “Nicole Jorgenson has some interesting magic. Very combat oriented. Expresses wind and lightning. That would be useful, right?”

“Yeah, thanks,” replied Malachi. “Anyone else in general?” He paused and looked at each in turn. When nobody spoke up, he offered his own idea, “I think John Harken would be a good addition. One, the man has some good spells under his belt and has really been boosting morale. Two, I’m worried about his enthusiasm for the Pit. It's a different shade from those who see this as just a game, but potentially more dangerous. Let’s take him with us, for, you know, a little reality check. Better if everyone takes this place seriously.”

“Super intense guy, right there,” added Clarissa absently. 

“Be interesting to see how he reacts,” said Vincent. “Harken would be in the back anyways. Not much harm to cause there if it’s a bad one.”

“I trust your judgment,” said Warner. Perhaps that’s a little dressed up, but his instincts seem good for that weirdo. Religious nonsense always gets in the way.

“Sounds like no one objects to Harken joining the party,” observed Julia and then wrote him down. They  went over a few more names, volunteering others for the push. The list gained a healthy length.

“This is an excellent group,” confirmed Molly looking over the list. “Good balance. When do we head out?”

“Soon as we’re ready,” declared Malachi. “The only delay will be in gathering everyone. We’ll split the list up and then regroup at the Doors.” 

Before everyone could disperse, Warner grabbed Malachi and asked, “How do you plan for us to go in this time? Last time worked, I suppose you could say. Wasn’t the most effective way in my mind. We’re lucky the hungry mouths broke before the line did.”

“I have a couple things I am considering,” replied the current leader mildly. “The tunnel is narrow enough that there isn’t any reason to get any more complicated than we did last time. With the ranged power we are bringing to bear, the pressure shouldn’t be too much for the line to hold. On top of that, we should be able to rotate people so that everyone stays fresh.”

“Alright, alright,” muttered Warner. “How far are we going into the tunnel?” 

At this question the calm broke and revealed an edge of thrill in the bearded man. Malachi had a small smile as he said, “I wish I could say as far as we can… Push hard and fast, you know? See what comes next. This time around, the best I can promise is to go far as it is safe. This is a supply run. Just a raid really. “

“Yeah, I figured that,” answered Warner, chewing on his tongue. “I want to cut loose a little. Fight as far as I can. Hot blooded, that’s me. I have enough sense... I’ll hold it back this time. Next time though…”

“Agreed, next time we go deep,” Malachi promised with a grin. The brawler knew his smile was a little bloodthirsty, but the one from the current leader was pure excitement. “The next push we’ll see how far our new strength can take us.”

“I’ll have to hold you to it,” said Warner as he walked away to find his people. There is a lot to this guy, decided the brawler. I didn’t think Malachi was the sort to get any fun out of a confrontation, or competition. The thrill we nerds get from video game adventures may just carry over… at least with us two. The ginger might bring about a good old time afterall, I mean hey, he seems to have a real feel for leading people. I ain’t letting him off the hook, but I can let the guy stay in the driver’s seat for a while yet.

0