Ch.0013 – Attack
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ash loosed a satisfied breath. The familiar feeling of advancement surged through his body, invigorating his skin as he once again broke through the barrier between levels. 

___________ 

You have levelled up! 4 >> 5 

____________ 

He grinned. There was hardly a better feeling, he thought. And with his fifth level, he’d threaded as much mana into his skin as it could handle. Anything more would just be pointless if not outright harmful. 

Ash should have been drowning in a sense of achievement and progress right then, and he was, but it slightly grated on him that it’d taken longer than he’d expected. 

Ash ignored that niggling little complaint though. He knew that he was just being overly greedy with his expectations.  

A little less than two weeks and he already stood ready to take a qualitative leap into the next stage of his magical progress. His next nexus awaited him along with all that it promised. Ash’s grin bloomed further at the thought. He could hardly wait. 

He almost dove into the process right then and there, driven forward by impatience, and likely would have if it hadn’t been for the wooden utensil that struck his head. He grimaced and turned to eye its source. 

Across from him stood Calixxa, her arms crossed and a childish frown on her face. She’d filled out rather nicely over the course of the past few days, and nearly all signs of the malnourished, terrified child he’d brought back to the burrow had been wiped away. In its place, he’d found a rambunctious, curious and endlessly energetic little girl. One who, he was starting to realize, might be far more than he could handle. 

“Dummy Ash! You said that you would play with Calixxa, but all you’ve been doing is sleeping on the floor or fighting with scary Myr or scaring monsters!” accused the girl with a glare that dared him to rebuke her words. 

He didn’t. He would admit that he had been ever-so-slightly neglectful of the girl after making sure that she was doing well, but he blamed that on his roiling desire to reach the second tier. 

He paused. He supposed that it wasn’t really a good excuse, all things considered. Damn his obsession with magic. 

Ash sighed and shot the girl a sheepish smile. “I wasn’t sleeping on the floor, I was meditating. And I wasn’t fighting Myr. Well, I was but it was training. I need to train to get stronger so that I can keep you safe.” 

“Calixxa doesn’t want to be safe! Calixxa wants to play!” she declared, and he cringed away from her tantrum. The sight of the furious little girl almost made him wish that she’d maintained at least a little bit of her lost sheepishness. 

“I know, and I’m sorry. You’re right. I made a promise and it’s only right that I keep it! That’s what a good person does, and we’re both good people, aren’t we Calixxa?” 

The girl hurriedly nodded. 

“Good! Then let’s play!” 

Her frown vanished so quickly that it felt almost like it’d hardly been there in the first place. Calixxa preened with childish glee and ran towards him until their faces were hardly a few feet apart. 

“Let’s play Stack ‘Em!” she said. 

Ash’s smile twitched, and a surge of foul hatred stained his good mood almost immediately. It wasn’t directed towards the girl or even her suggestion. No, what he felt was a focused beam of indignant fury that he reserved solely for the likes of the little goblin’s former tribe, for he’d had the abject displeasure of learning just how Calixxa had come to like playing Stack ‘Em quite so much. 

Succinctly said, it was the only game she knew of, or rather, the only game she’d made to amuse herself through all her lonely days at her tribe, for the girl had been kept separate from all others her age. She hardly knew what other kids did or the games they played, and so she’d been forced to make a game for herself that she could play with whatever was available. 

And thus, Stack ‘Em was born. 

It wasn’t even a game. Not really. More like a challenge. The goal was to stack little objects as high as possible without it all falling apart. Calixxa claimed her personal best was a tower as tall as her chest and Ash wholly believed her. She was really good at it, though that only made him think of how long she’d practicing by herself to have attained the level of skill she boasted of. 

The thought only worsened his mood, not that he let it show on his face. 

“You know, I really like Stack ‘Em, but how about we try a new game?” 

“New game?” she asked, curious. 

“Yeah. There’s loads of games that we could try out together. Let’s see. There’s football, which is the coolest game to ever have been made! The goal is to take a ball and kick it into the other person’s goal, which is kind of like a spot that they’re supposed to protect. It’s really fun, but if you’re not up for it, there’s also marbles which is pretty simple. You just have a bunch of small stones in a ring and you’re supposed to use your stones to knock out the other ones. Aside from that, there’s hula-hoops, and horseshoes, and catch and dodgeball – though you’re probably too young for that. There’s also...” Ash paused, startled by the tears that started to stream down the little girl’s face. 

“W-what is it? Are you hurt?” 

She shook her head, tears flecking off from her cheeks every which way. “I-It’s just that Calixxa never realized that there were so many games to play. Calixxa is really happy!” 

Ash stared at her askance for a moment before he wrapped her in a tight hug. Calixxa yelped, not having expected the sudden show of affection, though she quickly melted into Ash’s grip and snuggled her face into the nape of his neck. A bright smile spread across her lips, and it stood in stark contrast to the disgusted frown that Ash himself bore as he mentally condemned her former tribe to a thousand horrible fates. 

“There’s tons of games out there, and you’ll get to play all of them if you want.” he said after he managed to swallow his anger and gently push away the girl. She regarded him with eyes wide with disbelief. “Really?” she questioned, obviously expecting him to come out and declare it all to be some kind of trick. He nodded softly. “Really, Calixxa.” 

She laughed at that and Ash allowed no more time to be wasted on needless tears. His next nexus could wait. He had a whole new world of fun to shower upon a little girl that deserved so much more. 

◆◆◆◆◆ 

“How’d you do it?” she asked as they walked. 

Ash looked to Myr. The wind softly whipped up her onyx locks as it swept by, and it was with a grunt of annoyance that she worked to keep it leashed down. She really ought to buy a hairband, he thought, or make one herself considering her leatherworking abilities. 

Her hair finally made manageable, the woman turned back to face him with a coolly appraising look. 

Relations between them had been somewhat... strained for a while after the stunt she’d pulled with Calixxa. Ash had been quietly furious with the woman, and it was only the passage of time and the reality of the situation having turned out well that had eventually cooled his temper. 

That and the knowledge that despite what she’d done and his own thoughts on the matter, he still owed Myr much and more for all her gifts and generosity thus far. 

Still, they hadn’t had a proper, casual conversation in a few days. Even their spars had been little more than grunting and cursing whenever a blow struck particularly hard. The only time they really talked was when necessity demanded it, such as when hunting monsters. 

“Do what?” he asked in turn. 

“Convince the brat to stay in the burrow alone while we go for a trade-run?” 

He furrowed his brow at the reminder. He didn’t like leaving Calixxa to her own devices, even after Myr had been convinced through a herculean effort of words to not simply seal her in her room, but he’d realized that mother-henning her at all times wasn’t something he could do forever. Not without compromising his growth and leaving her overly attached and entirely devoid of independence. 

“I promised to teach her a few new games when we returned.” And also promised that he would actually return. It had taken some time for the girl to latch off of him, not that he was surprised. She was deathly afraid that he would leave her alone, and after the life she’d lived, it was an understandable fear. 

“Figures.” she remarked with an amused snort. 

The air fell silent after that, and Ash chaffed under the oppressive awkwardness. He glanced at Myr and noticed a similar discomfort in her expression, even if she was trying to hide it. Ash sighed. 

“I hit level five by the way.” he said offhandedly. 

Myr’s eyebrow twitched at the revelation. “In a little under two weeks, huh?” 

He nodded. 

“Damn talent.” she mumbled softly under breath, followed by a string of further curses before she finally deigned to turn her attention his way and pat him on the back. “Good job, kid.” 

He rolled his eyes but smiled nonetheless. 

“You decide on where your next nexus gonna be?” 

He had. He’d been pondering the topic ever since he’d learnt about nexii in the first place. He’d realized that he had two paths that he could walk going forwards. He could either lean into his offensive prowess and go for another nexus that further augmented that, or he could try and shore up the defensive hole in his current skill set. 

Ash had wavered on the matter for a long while, and it was only Calixxa’s presence that had finally pushed his decision in an entirely different direction that he felt would be the best of both worlds. 

“I’m gonna go for an agility nexus.” 

Speed was a defence all of its own after all, and if he could work that speed into his attacks, it would only serve as a boost to his damage-dealing potential. Myr seemed to agree if the slightly impressed look she sent his way was of any indication. 

“Works well for you. An’ I suppose the ability to run to the brat's side in the blink of an eye if any trouble pops up is just a nice bonus, eh?” 

He wouldn’t deny that it had been a consideration, he though with a sly grin. 

“I’d considered a perception nexus like you have for a bit, but I realized that speed is what I need most of all right now.” 

The woman scoffed. “Figured out my second nexus alignment, did you?” 

“It was obvious enough after a while.” 

Myr didn’t look like she disagreed with that. She’d hardly been gone to great lengths to conceal her sensory abilities, or her magical ability to sense the truth. 

“Do you think Wixxack’ll have an agility spell-book?” he asked after a moment. 

“Wixxack has most everythin’, kid. It’s why I deal with him. Though, that reminds me. We need to have a conversation about your future.” Ash paused mid-stride, surprised by the sudden and serious shift in topics. He eyed the woman and found a severe look bearing down on him. He frowned. Something was up. 

“Is there a problem?” he asked cautiously. 

“Aye, there is. It’s two-fold. Well, three, actually. For one, like I said, Wixxack has access to a lot of good stuff. He probably has spellbooks coverin’ all the nexii up to tier four. Probably higher knowin’ that bugger.” 

“That’s good, right?” 

She scoffed. “Just ‘cuz he has it doesn’t mean he’ll trade it to us, kid. As comfy as he’s gotten with me, recent situation aside, it doesn’t change that we’re still outsiders. There’re limits to what he can give me and that limit is tier two. Anythin’ more and you’ll have to look elsewhere for your spells.” 

That was... most distressing, he realized. He had no plans to stall out at tier two, and she knew that well, which made what she was hinting at rather obvious. 

“I’ll have to leave the forest, won’t I?” 

“Aye. Find a human city and settle there. Once you forge your nexus and get to tier two proper, you won’t have much trouble findin’ someone to work for. Those prancy nobles are always lookin’ for talent. It’ll be even easier for you once you hit tier three. The empire’ll all but slap a noble title on you and give you all the support you could shake a stick at.” 

Ash noticed her use of when and not if in regards of his reaching the third tier, and he felt a spark of pride bloom in him at the recognition of his talent. Of course, it was swiftly snuffed out by the looming reality of his uncertain future. Leaving the forest had been his initial goal, but the days had become comfortable and he’d gotten used to having Myr around. To leave all that and just venture out into the unknown? 

It wasn’t even a matter of crossing the forest safely anymore. He knew that he’d be able to do it at tier two. Hell, he could probably already do it as he was. But... attachment was a double-edged sword. And that wasn’t even considering the newest addition to their dysfunctional family. 

“Calixxa.” he said, and Myr nodded. “You can leave ‘ere fine, but the brat can’t. A goblin like her’ll never be allowed to set foot into human lands. The second they see her... well, you saw what I did to those goblins that’d attacked you.” 

He cringed at the memory, and that cringe swiftly turned to muted horror as he imagined that fate inflicted on Calixxa. 

“I’ll have to leave her behind if I go, won’t I?” he asked softly. 

Myr’s silence was answer enough. 

“Will you be leaving with me?” he asked suddenly as the question dawned on him. The woman shook her head, and though it pained him, it didn’t come as a surprise. She was plenty strong enough to leave if she wanted to, and though she’d never explained them, he knew that she had reasons of her own for staying alone in the forest. 

“I can’t leave her with you.” he said, and Myr didn’t exactly jump to defend her own mothering skills. Ash had thought otherwise in those first few days, but he’d come to learn that that it wouldn’t be a tenable situation. All he’d sensed from her in regard to the little goblin was a mildly annoyed sense of acceptance, the same way one would tolerate a pest that they couldn’t get rid of. Ash doubted whether that would change any time soon. Myr simply didn’t care for the child, and he didn’t blame her for it. 

Saving her had been his choice, not hers. 

“Are there any tribes we can drop her off at?” he asked, slightly hopeful. 

“Maybe, but I wouldn’t risk it, kid. Remember what I said about goblins? Whatever it was, her tribe had a good reason for kicking her out as they did. D’you think another tribe won’t do the same, or worse? Hopin’ to get her adopted is a roll of the dice and the odds ain’t in your favour.” 

As much as it grated on him to admit, the woman’s point was valid. What had Calixxa said to him? That she’d been kicked out for being ill luck? He frowned. Something about her eyes as well. It sounded like superstitious nonsense to his ears, but in a world of magic made real, who knew the truth of the matter. 

It still didn’t justify what they’d done to a helpless child in his opinion, but it was an answer nonetheless. 

“I’ll figure something out. We have time. It’s not like I’m gonna be knocking on the door to tier three any time soon.” he said after a moment. 

Myr agreed. “You have time. Tier three ain’t like one or two where anyone can claw their way up with enough time an’ effort. Takes real talent to cross that gulf. That’s the problem though, kid. You have that talent. I’d give you a few months of time to make it there, if not less.” 

Whilst he appreciated her belief in his abilities, the context of the situation hardly allowed him to feel anything but dread for the days to come. A few months. It was hardly any time at all to prepare for a life-changing choice, but he’d have to make do. 

The two settled on a thoughtful silence after that, and it held all the way to the goblin township. The reception they received was warmer than what he remembered of their last time, though there was still some lingering weariness in the stares sent his way in particular. 

Still, their business was conducted largely without issue. Soraxx was still a redoubtable ball of energy, Maxxine remained as uncaring as ever and Myr managed to purchase a spell-book for him without fuss, along with every other necessity they needed. He’d even managed to convince her to shell out for a few cheap toys for Calixxa. 

All in all, their visit lasted less than an hour before they were well on their way back. 

The tier two agility-spell book he’d been given was thinner than his might-spell book had been, which was saying something considering how thin that book had been. It was also in slightly better condition, though again, that wasn’t saying much. 

Perusing its contents on the way back revealed that the formulae and theory involved in tier two spells were drastically more complex than those of the previous tier had been. He was also enlightened to the existence of spells that used two nexii or more at once in order to cast a spell with a multitude of effects. The only two spells of that variety in the book, however, required an agility nexus combined with either a mystique or a perception nexus to function, and he had neither. 

It still proved interesting to consider and forced him to mull over what his future choice of nexii would be. Asking Myr about the topic further revealed that there existed spells that required two nexii of the same nature to function, such as two might nexii or two agility nexii, and such spells were often far more powerful in their function, if not at the cost of adaptability. 

It was nearly thirty minutes later that the duo neared the edges of their little patch of forest, and Myr held out a hand that stopped him in his tracks. He lowered the book from his gaze and shot her a curious look. 

“What?” he questioned. 

The woman’s eyes was narrowed as she stared into the far distance for a moment before shock and alarm bled into her expression. She immediately snatched the book from his hands and stuffed it into her sack before she tore a small depression into the ground with a flicker of her mana. A second later and the sack had been stuffed into the hole and sealed over, leaving little more than bare, unremarkable earth on even a close inspection. 

“What’s wrong?” asked Ash, unnerved by her actions. He especially didn’t like how her attention was still firmly fixed in the direction of the burrow. He neither saw nor sensed anything from the patch of forest ahead of them, but he lacked the spells and the nexus that would allow him to bridge the distance. 

It was a few seconds later when Myr finally deigned to answer. Her tone was grave and her words a punch to the gut. 

“Monsters near the burrow. They’re clawin’ their way in.” 

0