Chapter 6 – Yurva’s Tutelage
523 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I desire to train the child in the use of the powers,” said the sage Yurvaonri. “Seek not to refuse this request, for he shall very much need it when the time comes to perform his duty. I know what you have bargained, King of Koshapa! It would be wise that he stay under my tutelage until his curse can be stayed.”

My father once more fell prostrate to the sage and clasped her feet. “So that much you already know, O great Zuryashah! Please do what must be done; save our child!”

My mother likewise did as my father did. And in succession, all servants, ministers, officials, and all other persons, prostrated. They begged for my life. Certainly they didn’t need to do as such, after what the sage had requested. Yet it was reminiscent of the culture of my home. That nostalgia brought my heart to warmth, and I felt content.


Six years passed from this meeting. The sage rarely visited during that time, for she had things of greater importance to attend.

I, in many ways, grew to be a recluse, kept from the outside world, not unlike a certain personage of my home. While seeming counter-intuitive, I was bathed in all sorts of luxuries, always entertained, but never content. Nevertheless, I was a dutiful child, and caused few—if any—issues.

I learned the language of this world that we know is Ahastrutahr, and was able to discern the names of many individuals, not least my parents.

My father’s name was Desyar, for He was One whose Chariot could Move in the Ten Cardinal Directions.

Mother’s was Koshala, for she was skillful in all deeds and manners.

The commander of the royal guard was called Salam, given his dark complexion.

And then there were the three ministers who I spent the most time with named, Druzhat, for his foresight, Jeyath, for his victories on the battlefield, and Zajeya, who garnered success wherever he went.

You must wonder why it’s the case that people are addressed according to the meaning of their names? You may have been told so before, but it bears repeating.

It’s said in this world that the name that one is given influences and governs the actions and behavior that one may commit in the future.

Auspicious names, those that are given in accordance with the celestial positions at one’s birth, affirm the nature of a person later in life. In many ways, it also brings luck in their favor, should the recipient maximize the associated positive attributes.

But in every situation, there are those that would abuse their position and favor. To bring ill to their ilk and any other who can serve their purposes.

Druzhat served as my teacher, and would often relate of the in-fighting of our forbears. Specifically, the treachery of the kin who killed their king and eldest brother.

“Never seek to emulate the power of those of corrupt nature,” he would say. “For their actions will undoubtedly poison you to a path worse than you can imagine. Always be vigilant of such characters, whether they be friend or foe. For you to follow them would mean the end of us all.”

He wasn’t wrong. I had already fallen before in such a manner. I was not the first nor the last to abuse my position and take advantage of those in ways many would see as unimaginable. I had learned as such by my peers, and took many steps too far.

It seemed normal at the time, for most in such positions behaved as I did. But what I lacked was discretion. Perhaps I could’ve gotten away with those activities if I didn’t alert others to my behavior. But my mind was wasted to a degree that no vice seemed out of my touch or ability.

And so I took the fall and became once more normal. Now filled with regret.

I couldn’t afford a repeat of that situation. My mind would be unable to bear it. But the way I was treated and promised many a thing would’ve made anyone in my position privy to darker influences.

I always remained vigilant concerning such things, and the ministers seemed to notice. They let me be for the time. And I was left to fend against the demons that ever provoked me toward evil ends.

My time alone, however, was to change.

18