Chapter 9 – Forest of Deer
433 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The trees towered high above us. The light was obstructed by a thick canopy. Darkness was cut by shafts of light, but they served more as anchors rather than as wards.

We raced through, calling to the prince like the fools we were. Animals stirred from their homes, and some began to prowl and watch. These forests served as hunting grounds for not only the King, my father, but also for his officials and aristocrats.

The Servants took little joy to this sport, seeing it as breaking the code of non-violence. The kings of the land argued for their pastime as a way of keeping their aggression in check. They were, after all, warriors.

Not even the position of the highest of eras could put a stop to the decline of morals. But what was done was done and no more could it be changed. All they, and I, could hope was that the decline could be slowed by whatever act of piety that persons of repute could offer.

We continued to a sloping ravine that we skirted around. And thereafter, we could see blue mushrooms that lit the darkness. We followed it along on a light hued path as the ground undulated in height at regular rhythm. The noise of the aggressive animals softened, and was replaced by the songs of birds, the shouts of foxes, and the calls of the grass-eaters.

Soon the forest became lighter. Its suffocating darkness seeming stayed by the flood of light. I held tight to the princess’ hand. She held confidence in me. But only if she could know of the arousal I felt, my young mind already poisoned by thoughts of lust.

Dearly, I wished to be reprimanded. But now wasn’t the time to admit to those faults. I had to recover her brother.

As the area became lighter, the foliage began to disperse. We could feel the ground of tough roots and moss be replaced by that of soft grass and flowers. The animals that stalked kept distance. We passed through statues of deer, laden with petals, whose likeness seemed like the Gods, but we gave no heed.

I could see yonder exits of light. We were to come to an open patch and quickened our pace. But just as we were to reach, our advance was blocked by three deer whose coats were like ash, their bodies great like mountains, and antlers like coiling vines that lifted high above.

I could see the roots entwine the ankles of the beasts. Their breaths were labored and the air they snorted weighed heavy on our persons.

The princess clutched my arms tight, once again afraid. I couldn’t fault her for cowering, but courage was what we needed. And I mustered as much as I could for the both of us.

I approached the deer and asked, “Who are you, and why do you block passage in the woods of my home?”

The center deer bent its long neck toward me. Its mane was thick and smooth, and it seemed almost like a lion’s. The ends of the stag’s antlers were sharp to pierce. It wasn’t hard to imagine the battles that this deer must’ve fought to keep secure the domain it most certainly cherished.

It opened its mouth and spoke with a reverberating voice:

You ask who I am and why I block passage, but is it not that case that you have entered my domain? Think not your father, your sire, to own all that may be in his grasp. His kingdom was given to him by his forbears, who, in turn, acquired it by restitution through us, who pitied the plight of your people on this most sorrowful planet. Give courtesy to me, insolent fool of Koshapa! Kneel before me!

The weight of its words, and the command of its voice, forced us to our knees. I could scarce hold my balance. My breathing became strained as I could barely inhale. I felt I could collapse at any moment. Then, all of a sudden, the force that bound us vanished.

I looked up to see eyes of wrath replaced by a tender gaze. I was given chance to act in respect, and so I did as I should’ve done before.

I prostrated before the deer and said:

“Forgive me, O divine stags! I am Yurva, prince of Koshapa, son of King Desyar, the hundred-eighth descendant in succession of the kingdom of the well-skilled. We’ve entered your forest in search of a boy who ran in the direction from where you arose. Forgive me for asking, but have you seen him? Did he pass through here? Please, I beg of you, tell us!”

I did all I could to curry favor. I grabbed the leg of the stag and kissed its dirt-stained feet. Regardless of whether I needed to perform such an act, my words were heard.

The stag said:

To answer your question, indeed he passed. We gave no heed to his crossing, for he saw the statues of our figures, and gave obeisance to it. Something both of you neglected to do as you came to the woods.

I was surprised. To think the visiting prince was not as much of an arrogant fool as I originally thought. It became clear to us where we erred.

“O divine stags, forgive our ignorance! We neglected to perform as such, given our haste to search for the wayward prince.”

They stepped forward and said:

You are forgiven, prince and princess of the Marhan. We are the celestial deer, the Mrigaur, descended from the Heavens upon the forming of the universe during the churning of the ocean of milk. We have guarded this land since Arhmanah’s1The goddess of the Earth. descent. You may find more of us throughout her lands, though our numbers dwindle in the wake of the Demons’ expanse.

Long has it been since we have shown our form. Those who lay eyes on us either run in cowardice or seek to take our hides to beget blessings from the goddess of knowledge. Though you are but children, we assumed the worst and sought to confront you. Were you to have engaged in such artifice with those of greater malice, we would have indeed crushed you and carried your corpses to the weeping kings.

The words the stag spoke at its end haunted me. The forces of this world were indeed merciless. I suppressed any thoughts that could endanger us and resolved myself to find the prince.

The stags sniffed me and at last said:

Pass children. It would seem your friend has awoken the flying serpent dwelling in these woods. Calm their rage lest you all perish.

The forms of the stags vanished into the air. Without hesitation, we made to the light in the distance.

12