Chapter 47 – Children at Odds to Children of Blood
66 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They looked to me with surprise.

“Where the hard line between good and evil seems present in the world in contrast to where I once abode. In comparison, my old world, it was nigh impossible to truly discern the true nature of a person by just their mannerisms or actions alone. For in one moment they may be a saint, and another, the vilest of people. In some cases, people depended on the latter to rid themselves of undesirable elements.

“The nature of the world was altogether different. The environment here abounds with its lush space, whereas there, you would find it difficult securing a living space much less for that of that forests, which slowly removed themselves by the time of my death.

“But when concerning properties, the powers didn’t exist, at least to the extent that it does here. The laws of reality were fixed such that we were all stuck to the soil. Our vehicles for travel were also much more mundane than what could be found here.

“One could say the sophistication of religion, if it can even be thought as such, was greater there, but more so in ideas rather than practice. At least here one can see and perhaps meet the Gods, spirits, ancestors and so many more. I would say, however, lifespan is perhaps the most important of all these, for the nature of our time was much narrower and perhaps smaller than what can be experienced here and now. By the time of my death, I was only fifty.”

“Fifty!” cried Varey. “You were only a child. It may be true that in our twenties we become adults, but the wisdom doesn’t come immediately. There is still much in the world to be understood, and that requires, in many cases, thousands of years of practice. Yet what you speak of seems similar to the qualities of Erlasheyah, the Era of Annihilation. You haven’t traveled in time have you?”

“If I did, I certainly wouldn’t look like this?” I said, laughing. But now they weren’t laughing. I cleared my throat and said, “Don’t be worried for my thoughts. It’s up to you whether to believe the words of this mad prince, but this is what I know and remember.”

“I don’t take you to be a liar,” said Viruka, immediately, “but the idea that any of the Marhan can move in station on Arhmanah herself, or perhaps between other worlds, aside from those of the afterlife, seems altogether foreign to us.”

“I can imagine,” I said. I looked to Varey, and said, “Is wisdom and knowledge all you would seek in the hundreds of thousands of years we live?”

“No,” he said, “there’s room for enjoyment, merriment, battle. But most of all, I can imagine that liberation is what we must seek.”

“Liberation?” I said, surprised. “Is that something toward which you’re resolved?”

“Not yet, but I think I might be in the future.”

The applause died around us, and the throng began the leave the theater.

“Let’s make out of here and see what else the City of Ydhra has to offer,” I said. The two nodded in agreement and we left with the throng.

I could still see worry on their faces. It was better that I revealed my situation and thoughts to them now than later. While they were aware of my curse, it seemed they were unaware as to its specifics.

We walked through the many terraces. Many roads ascended and descended along the circular frame of the city, and it seemed that they curved in their slope, if not already in their general path. The love of circles followed wherever we went.

We moved away from the fanfare toward a flatter zone that was closer to the city walls, yet still keeping distance. There were structures I could see in the distance that looked as if they were undergoing construction. The stone was slowly being shaped and morphed rather than being appended with additional material. I wondered if they were for the tourney.

My attention was then drawn to where we arrived. There was a crowd of soldiers surrounding what looked like a mock ring. There were children, seemingly wrestling as the soldiers about hollered with jugs of liquor.

“What’s happening here?” I said, moving closer to the soldiers.

The three of us squeezed through the crowd. If it weren’t for the drunken manner of the soldiers, this would seem ill befit for those of royal repute, but alas! not much can be done when the protectors are inebriated beyond normal constraints.

When we came through to the other side, we beheld children whose forms were spotless and clean, wearing only a loincloth. On the sides of the ring were a mass of royal garments, seemingly thrown and left for dust. I looked to the faces of one of the children.

His hair was like gold, his face fair, and his body exuding light, as like my father’s. He bore the light of the Sun.

“Yurva,” called Varey, “you up to wrestle?”

I was about to assent, when Viruka came between us. “Absolutely not! Do you wish to behave as animals now? You’ll have your sport of blood tomorrow, so why waste a day as good as this on such slovenly activities.”

“Don’t make a fuss, sister,” said Varey, grabbing my hand. “Let us have some fun of our own, now. I can see Yurva’s face clouded in melancholy. I think this will do him good in clearing such thoughts away.”

Viruka looked to me with worry. “I feel you should rest your mind, Prince Yurva. Can you not listen to me this once?”

I stepped away from Varey and said, “If your sister is this insistent, then I feel I should listen to her.”

“Ah, fine!” he said. “Be as you will. I’ll participate!”

The two of us stayed outside the ring, looking to who Varey approached. It was the same golden-haired boy I first noticed. But now his light was gone.

Thanks for reading! If you can please favorite, comment, and rate/review my story. It would greatly help me!

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/616280/he-who-conquered-death/

1