Chapter 49 – Wrestle of Boar and Happiness
58 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“O princes, announce yourselves to one another!”

“I am Varey—for I am One whose Wrath is like a Boar’s! I am son to King Anyur and herald from the kingdom of Daorka.”

He changed the angle of his name’s meaning. I felt glad that he was at last proud of his name, knowing what more it should mean.

The golden-haired boy held himself straight, and said, “I am Druzash—for I am One of Happiness! I am son to King Asmach, the Solar-King of the realm of Ahedhya.”

Varey was shocked. He immediately prostrated, and said, “O Solar Prince! I knew not who you were; forgive my manner of speaking!”

Druzash shook his head. “Rise, O Prince of the Boar’s Wrath! You need not adorate me. I have yet to ascend and become befit for the role that requires the support of all kings and all aristocrats.”

Noise and holler returned, the soldiers now cheering for the two princes.

“Good,” said the proctor, “now come close to the center line.”

The two approached.

“This will be the last mock match for the day. I have chosen to have these two best each other, given the other princes have become rather sore.”

I shifted my view to the side of the ring to see who were likely the other princes, all much older than us. Many rubbed their arms, legs, and backs with sore patches all about. Some were even collapsed on the grass.

“Is it fair that I should fight against one who is surely tired?” said Varey.

“Speak not for me!” said Druzash. “I have strength left in me yet!”

Varey seemed hesitant. The hold of his grip weakened, and his body lost the composure it held before. Druzash was irritated.

“Well let things be,” said the proctor, “for the Solar Prince wished that I officiate the match regardless.”

And so it was set that Druzash and Varey would be the last match for the day. The two went into stance, holding their hands above and slightly crouched on their legs.

The proctor held a conch and blew to it. Its sound reverberated all around, and suddenly, the two princes gripped each other’s hands.

Druzash pushed Varey past the line. The sheer force the Solar Prince put behind his grip almost forced Varey to his knees. But Varey pushed Druzash away and tackled him. The dust of the ring flew about as the two, like rabid animals, scuffled against one another.

They even bit each other on their arms, legs, and neck. The violence seemed almost savage to me. Wrestling from my previous life was of a nature much more controlled. But I could see where the antecedents of that sport laid, looking at these two combatants steeped in bloodlust.

They rolled about in the dirt, punching and kicking themselves away, only to come back and strike each other hard and fast.

It wasn’t long before the both of them were bloodied across their body. They each spat blood onto the ground. I gulped. I hoped this wasn’t something Zhunil wished to engage in, seeing there were no princesses in the crowd. While it would seem unusual, it wasn’t unheard of, given even female soldiers could join the ranks of the many nations of the Freelands. A far cry from the situation of the ancient world of my old home.

I looked to Viruka who seemed the only one who could likely engage. Though given her thin and frail appearance, and Zhunil’s ferocity, I don’t think she would’ve lasted more than a few minutes in the ring. She, however, looked intent to them as her hands seemed to move in a way to mimic what she was seeing.

The two princes rose and paced about each other in the ring. One leg after another rose, slight traces of dust into the air.

“Why not end this, prince Druzash?” said Varey. “What good will continuing this do? We’ll likely fight each other tomorrow anyhow.”

“Hah!” said Druzash with a smile. “You seem confident. Do not think the other princes will make it so easy. I hear tell of a very troublesome one among the contestants this year. A child our age, whose prowess exceeds even the best of the rank and file.”

“I don’t think he would be much of a match between either of us!” said Varey, laughing. His expression suddenly became serious. “Isn’t it time we lay forfeit this match? I would be willing to concede if you don’t wish for a truce.”

Druzash’s lit with fury. He cried, “Fight, prince! Give no pity to me! I will dig your head into the ground myself should it come to it.”

While the prince spoke with great bravado, he was tiring. Much more so than Varey.

“Have it your way,” said Varey.

He rushed to the Solar Prince and spun himself. The dorsum of his foot struck straight against Druzash’s cheek. He was sent flying, but Varey didn’t end his strikes. He pursued the tumbling Druzash, and when coming to him, he kicked and pummeled him.

It was a dreadful display. I felt Varey overstepped his bounds. But I knew he wished to end it quickly, even if it meant he needed to be brutal in his strikes.

Viruka stopped the motion of her fingers and clenched them. She suddenly cried to her brother to stop this, but he didn’t hear.

Thanks for reading! If you can please favorite, comment, and rate/review my story. It would greatly help me!

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/616280/he-who-conquered-death/

1