Chapter 3 – Lord of the New World
743 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I grew, I began to notice some peculiarities. Almost everything was larger than what I expected. While I was still a babe, I could notice that the size of certain things was not as they should be, at least in comparison to what was familiar to me.

It seemed as if almost everything was many times larger than I was. Even my parents and the attendants about the palace seemed like giants in comparison to me. Their footsteps were heavy, and they seemed to slowly move about. It seemed I was born smaller than everyone else.

While that was unusual, the worry concerning that gradually faded as I grew to what could be considered normal size. The air about me felt heavy and my once quick movements began to feel sluggish. Yet everything else normalized to my perception.

I spent much time moving about the household, leaving my parents and the servants unawares. They were always frantic when they couldn’t find me. I felt a little guilty for leaving them away as such. My escapades, however, didn’t last very long. Almost with perfect foresight, the head of the royal guard would always find where I had scurried away.

He would usually remain silent. But there was one time he did speak to me. It was after my mother had left me with one of the handmaids. The handmaid had to put me on the ground to pull open some curtains. In just those few moments where her back was turned, I made my escape and hid behind the furniture.

The handmaid was in a frenzy trying to search for me. I had hid myself rather well. When she left the room, I slowly crawled on the open curtain and made my way through the vast halls, hiding behind any open pillar or structure.

Now, while my misgivings over my past life had not yet left their hold over me, I realized, at least by this point, that the purpose behind my coming to this world must be in the position I held. I sought to find what that was. But I was rather naïve in my attitude concerning this. No matter, I felt I needed answers and so I scoured the whole day across the palace trying to find a sign for my having come here. And perhaps even the presence of that elusive being that visited me in the womb of my mother.

I had already ascended seven levels and when I reached the topmost level, I saw that the space was open. Arches from above filtered the sunlight through the cavities to make it seem like heavenly rays dotted the royal estate. There were statues lined from beginning to end, all with their hands raised, their attention seeming to gather to something above.

Following the direction of their hands, I could see at the center of the arches was a great bowl. Small embers flew from it and encircled this topmost layer of the palace. They acted almost like a shield and, not knowing any better, I thought to myself that it must have been magic that kept it as such.

I made my way to the opening at the side and under the archway; I saw the great many flying structures hovering not far from where I was. Their shadows moved over the city and it seemed there was a great celebration happening afar.

It came to me then that I had not heard nor seen of my father as of late. Looking closer, my eyes seemed to zoom into what was afar and I could see a great procession. My father was on horseback waving to his subjects as they all threw flowers for him. His face was proud, but he seemed tired, as did his men who rode behind him. It didn’t detract, however, from how he bore himself.

A soft golden light emanated from him and as this light increased in intensity, all saluted him and bowed. I overheard from the servants that it was an ill omen that I had not inherited the light of my father. The light was to be passed to every royal descendant of Drizhaka’s line. For he was said to be the descendant of the Sun himself, Samiztrahah.

I had given little thought of it, for I simply assumed that that was a small price I had to pay for being given this life. Other than feeling in awe of seeing such a spectacle, I felt it served little more worth than that. I suppose it could’ve been useful in battle to just as easily blind the assailant and lunge in for the final strike.

It was then I felt a great gust of wind. A cold chill overcame me. Malice had approached, and I lost my hold over the surface. My body was to plunge a great distance and perhaps splatter on the courtyard below. But it didn’t happen.

I was grabbed by my ankle and slowly pulled up. I looked behind to see that it was the head of the royal guard. I thought I had evaded him, for even when seeing him about the halls, he showed little attention in pursuing me. But I was glad I was wrong. If not for him, I would’ve plummeted to my death and wasted this boon.

He held me in his arms, sighing and looking about. He could feel the same chill that I did. He unfastened his cape and wrapped it about me. It was soft and warm, and his face of stone coldness became gentle.

Looking to me, he said, “Though you are but a babe and can only speak in babbles, I can tell by your expression that you understand my words and my actions. Do not cause such trouble for the servants and least your parents. How worried your mother was, for she felt a prophesied ill to spirit you away.”

An ill? And prophesied at that? This wasn’t something I had heard before. I sought to question to him but all that came from my mouth were babbles. Suddenly, a sickness came over me, and I vomited over the good sir.

I expected to be scolded, but he simply laughed. “At least at times you can act like a babe!”

He wiped me down, and looking to me intently, he said, “Speak not of what I have said here, young sire. We had kept secret of what ails you, for we knew you were not a regular child. We did not want to cause you (should you understand) or others any worries. So please act as if you heard none of this, and keep safe with the attendants of the palace.”

For the first time having come from this world, a sense of admiration grew in me. I could tell from all those incidents prior to this meeting now that he was the one whose qualities and likeness I desired. Perhaps even greater, greater than even my father. For after all: the son should always succeed the forbear.

He carried me to the edge, and I could see the wind swirling about his legs. Then he put his leg over the edge and I shook in fear, for I thought we were to plummet but lo! the wind allowed us to float in the air and fall gracefully to the floor, as if we were one of the winged beings.

When upon the surface of the courtyard of the palace, he kneeled and handed me over to my mother, who ran from the exterior gates to where I was.

The soldiers about stood resolute, their faces veiled by thin black cloth. Their armor bore the sigils of the Gods and they each carried an ornamented mace that they kept propped on their shoulders.

It wasn’t long before the fanfare reached us. The flowers from the citizens now merged into the petals scattered from the flying ships. The priests and priestesses—Servants of the Gods—covered from top to bottom in white and donned in ceremonial wooden masks, made their way to where we stood and waited alongside us for the champion, my father, to reach.

My father’s horse trotted slowly as the soldiers, one by one, kneeled before him. His crown shone splendidly under the sun and I could see the halo behind rotating, reflecting the beams.

When he was but a few feet from where I was, I could see that I wasn’t mistaken in what I observed. His face, no, his whole form exuded light as if like the center-most oculus of a temple. All about shielded their eyes as if looking into the sun, but I alone opened mine to bear the full glory of my father’s light.

He held me high and shouted in joy. I could see that while the light covered his face, that he indeed looked tired and worn. His eyes sagged, and it seemed he did all he could to smile. Seeing me must have alighted his spirits, having been gone for many months battling these Demons I had—by this point—only heard of in passing.

Though you have done well in securing alliances with ample numbers, this was a time where such a thing aught seem like madness. And seeing what my father had gone through, I would be wise to hold caution against such foes.

His voice was soft, as if he was using the last of his strength, but with tears streaming his cheeks, he said, “My son! No matter what the astrologers, or the Servants, or even the God of Death himself says: you shall not die! I won’t let them spirit you away from either me or your mother. We shall find a way to cure such affliction, so live your life carefree in this land. Worry not for anything that may come your way, for you shall never have to suffer against the horde of the Demons that lay beyond our walls. I shall end their scourge by the end of my life, this I swear!”

I looked upon him with pity. His promise was empty, not because he couldn’t keep it, but because I could see in his eyes that he didn’t have the faith in himself to uphold it. Nonetheless, I smiled and giggled.

It was the very least I could give my father to comfort him.

19