6. UNSETTLING CALM
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up to the incessant tapping on my back. Yukina was gentle this time around. At least it was better and more humane than kicking me. It was time to go. Though I was grateful that she allowed me ample time to sleep, I wondered what she was doing while I slept. I quickly packed my stuff and got prepared. I didn’t want to take more time than I already had, and we started off. While we walked, I decided to have a little conversation with Yukina.

“How do you think I would fare against Evren if I went up against her?”

Yukina chuckled.

“She would beat the shit out of you.”

I didn’t know what was funny about what she said, but I sure was laughing.

“I knew it,” I murmured amidst my laughter.

“Yukina was as blunt as always. She didn’t paint her words. Just getting straight to the point was her priority.

“What’s funny?” she asked.

Looking at her face, I knew she was trying hard not to laugh. My laughter seemed to be contagious.

“I don’t even know, I just think the way you answered was funny,” I replied.

“I was just stating facts, but you aren’t bad given that a few days ago, I would have beaten you without using my stillbring but now, I need them to get the job done.”

She took in a long deep breath and let it out.

“Evren is a lightning deviant. The last time I sparred with her, I found it difficult to keep up with her lightning, and she didn’t even have complete mastery over it then.”

I had always known that Yukina bested Evren, but I didn’t think she always found it challenging.

“You know what a Feel realm is, right?” she asked.

Supporting my jaw with my thumb and index finger,

“Ummm, yes and no. I mean, I know it’s a powerful ability that deviants possess, but I don’t really know the details of it,” I replied.

“Bearing that in mind, imagine fighting Evren in her Feel realm cushioned with lightning. Do you think you would survive it even with your current abilities?”

“I don’t think so.”

“To make matters even worse, she still has more room for development, and with her current pace, it won’t be long for her to become a chaos-class caster like your father,”

“You sound like you are jealous of her,” I said to Yukina.

She looked at me and smiled, 

“Of course I am. Left to me, I would have preferred to be a caster. It looks much cooler than being a stillbringer.”

“But not all casters are like Father and Evren; there are just a handful of deviants in all of Stavren, let alone chaos class,” I said to her, trying to remind her that she was exceptional in her own way.

“I am a threefold stillbringer and there are only four of us in all of Stavren. The world doesn’t revolve around Stavren. Out there, I am certain that we will get to experience things that would be literally impossible to believe, and hopefully, those experiences will make us get stronger. Take yourself as an example.”

Yukina was right; I had to free myself from my narrow-minded ideology and try to look at a bigger picture.

“So how were you able to beat her even with her Feel realm and lightning?” I asked.

She turned and gave me the exact same smile as earlier,

“Because I am Yukina.”

I couldn’t help but smile back at her; she was definitely Yukina. Maybe it was because of how close I was to her that I often tended to forget how strong she was, constantly reminded every time I watched her fight. A feeling I would probably never get used to. 

I kept on pondering Yukina’s words. She was a straightforward person yet very difficult to understand, but I could say one thing for sure; she was obsessed with getting stronger. It was fair, given that not just in Stavren but the empire as a whole, one’s strength was their most valuable asset. It was the main factor that distinguished Houses from each other, that gave a person status, wealth, and power. Sadly, It was almost like the weak had no place in the society. Even I, the supposed heir to the Choryth House, was stripped of those privileges because I showed no potential, strength-wise.

I could have concluded that she was only interested in getting stronger, but from what she said to me, she was also searching for her family, which made me wonder what her priorities were. It didn’t end there because she was also looking after me. 

I sighed,

“I wish I am as goal-driven as you are,” I said in whispers.

She didn’t hear me clearly, though I never intended her to do so.

“Did you say anything?” she asked.

“No, it’s nothing.”

We continued our walk all day long, stopping at intervals to rest and eat until it was finally dark. Something caught our attention. A lit campfire. Not more than a hundred meters away from us. It was evident that someone or a group of people had set camp there. It’d been three days and two nights since we entered the forest, and we never came across anyone, but the third night had other options for us.

“I think we should just leave this area and set camp somewhere else,” I said to Yukina in hushed whispers.

“I think that’s a good idea, we….”

Yukina was cut short by the rustling sound of crunched leaves. Without hesitation, she pulled her sword and swung it in the direction of the noise.

“Whoa, relax, I am unarmed,” a masculine voice said from the shadows. 

Still pointing her sword in his direction,

“Step out!”

The shadowy figure gradually became clearer until I could easily make out its details. The man stood before us, with Yukina's sword aimed directly at his throat.

“Why are you stalking us?” Yukina asked him.

“I could say the same to you guys watching my camp from this distance. Are you guys planning on attacking us, perhaps stealing from us?”

We were left speechless. He wasn’t in the wrong, but how on earth did he know that we were watching them, and how was he able to sneak up on us? Three of us stood wordlessly as I searched for the right words to deny his accusation. It was true that we were watching their camp, but that was because their campfire gave it away, so we got a bit curious.

“Anyone in our shoes would have done the same, and besides, if we were planning on attacking you, I don’t think you would still have your head on your neck,” Yukina said to him.

The stranger nodded in approval,

“If you say so, you are invited to join us for the night,” he said, lowering his raised hand.

“Did he just say us?” I questioned myself. 

That was more reasonable because I was beginning to wonder if he was solo.

“I am Fio. What about you guys?”

I could see the reluctance on Yukina’s face to make an acquaintance with him. That was totally understandable, but from the look of things, it seemed like he meant no harm.

“Alright, we will go with you.” Yukina concluded, sheathing her sword. “Lead the way.” 

We walked wordlessly until we got to their camp. It had two pitched tents, and two other people seated by the fire tending to the meat being roasted over it. All three of them wore similar clothing. It was more like a thick oversized cossack with high and round collars. The collars were wide, spawning from shoulder to shoulder and looked cool. They wore matching slacks that were oversized too, which were tucked into boots that touched their knees.

“What’s with everyone and wearing black outfits?” I asked myself. 

The first group of people we met that made an attempt on our lives were all dressed in black. This group was a bit less scary; at least, their faces weren’t covered.

“This is Vixra,” he said, pointing at the only female amongst them, “and this is Crit, they are siblings.”

I could tell, even without him mentioning it. Their resemblance was striking as their close-set eyes, and straight noses were characteristic. All three of them looked like they were around Yukina’s age. Maybe differences of three years at most, give or take.

There was still no response from us, just awkward glances.

“You guys didn’t say what your names were. Come on, don’t be stiff,” he urged as he scratched his head, wearing what seemed to be a forced smile.

“We’ve gotten this far already,” I muttered to myself.

“I am Svan,” I finally said, turning in Yukina’s direction and giving her an expectant look.

“Yukina,” she said in a cold and dismissive tone.

Fio offered us seats by the fire, so I sat beside Yukina.

“So what brings you guys to Ausbane forest?” Fio asked.

“This guy is sure chatty,” I whispered to Yukina, and she nodded in affirmation.

“I would let you do the talking with him, He is beginning to really irk me,” Yukina whispered back to me.

Fio was left taking quick glances between Yukina and me, waiting for a reply to his question. What reply was I even going to give him? I didn’t even know what we were doing in the forest in the first place because I was just following Yukina's lead.

“Oh, about that. We are here to collect horns of the northern stag.”

Lying was so much easier than telling the truth. It was a good thing that I read many books because in situations like this, they really came in handy. 

The northern stag was a rare animal only found in the Ausbane forest, and because Ausbane is situated in the northeastern part of Stavren, the stag was named the northern stag. It was distinguished from its species because not only that its horns were complexly branched, they had a blood-red colour. The horns of the stag were the most sought-after item by every apothecary in all of Stavren. Word has it that it has very potent medicinal properties.

I could tell by the expression on his face that Fio seemed displeased with my answer.

“Keep hunting those stags and they will be no more.”

At least he believed me. I didn't care if he was annoyed because I claimed to be hunting down the northern stag. After all, he was the one bothering us with his questions. In the blink of an eye, his facial expression changed again to a more lively one, wearing a smile.

“This guy is crazy.”

“What about you guys? What brings you guys here?” I asked him.

“Well, we are….”

Fio was interrupted as Vixra, who hadn't spoken a single word since we arrived at their camp, said to me,

“Here,” she said, handing me a plate of meat and some vegetables.

Too surprised to speak, I stammered my way through a thank you. She went round, passing food to each of us before settling for hers. Even the tempting aroma the meal gave off didn’t stop us from acting with caution. Yukina and I waited until all three of them started eating before we did. 

It seemed like Fio lost interest in conversing with us as we didn’t reciprocate any willingness to do so, and when he was done eating, he announced that he was going to sleep. He didn’t get to tell me what their mission in the forest was. Maybe it was better that way, as we would be on our separate ways come the morrow.

After he went to sleep, Crit followed not long after, so we were left with Vixra. She was staring intently at the fire like she was watching something really important.

“This one gives me creeps,” Yukina whispered to me.

I almost burst out laughing, but I did my best to hold it in. She just said how I felt about Vixra. After staring at the fire for quite some time, she walked up to me and squatted, focusing her gaze on my eyes. Yukina’s protective instinct kicked in, shoving me behind her as she stood between Vixra and me .

“You’ve got any problems with us?”

Vixra didn’t respond as she slowly got up, looking at Yukina with an awkward smile. She turned around towards the direction of her tent,

“Goodnight,” she said as she walked away.

0