Chapter 2
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mikhaya and his crew walked on, going downhill to Corinth, a sanctuary state. No traders could pass the border. A laser blast sizzled past Mikhaya! He realized the ambush and ran downhill with the others. A-23 Robots jumped out of the snow-blanketed trees.

  From his inventory, Mikhaya pulled out a long complex-looking metal wrench and used it to deflect some of the blasts. This was the main weapon of the mechanics, said to be made from Keltian technology. When he lost his privileges, it deactivated and became useless junk, but immensely valuable to collectors who sought to acquire one for bragging rights. Many had tried to recreate the functions of a lost or stolen wrench, but the technology could not be reverse-engineered for they contained hard-to-find materials taken from The Kelts. Its making was a closely guarded secret. Some say, the mechanic to unlock the mystery of the wrench could become so powerful that they'd break the game.

  The one he clung to was a keepsake, a grave reminder that he had it good, what he gave up. He had gotten another chance at redemption with Lauryn. He was still flawed, but he hoped that she didn't give up on him, and maybe, just maybe, he could be a hero.

  A big and tall trader approached them having a robotic arm.

  “Mikhaya,” the man said. “I can’t believe you of all people trying to be a good guy. You were a legend. I even heard about you on the Empire's official Reddit page.”

  “Nelson. The new guy, trying to make a name for himself,” Mikhaya said. “Nice arm by the way.”

  “Thanks. Got it on the shop, after selling two tons of essence,” Nelson said with a fiendish smile.

  Mikhaya sighed. “No comment, dude.”

  “Give her to us,” Nelson said.

  “Hell no. She may be a pain, but she’s my sweet pain,” Mikhaya said.

  The battlefield aura formed around them. “Then I will take her by force,” Nelson said.

  “Ready, babe?” Mikhaya asked.

  “He's nine levels higher,” Lauryn said. “And he has high-level bots on his team.”

  “I will use two of by bots, to make it three on three,” Nelson said. “I want to feel like I earned this, kind of.”

  “Thanks, I think,” Mikhaya said, and looked to Lauryn. “We got this.”

  Nelson laughed. ”You're in a relationship with an alien. That's sad.”

  “At least she's super hot Nelson. And way out of your league.” Mikhaya said. “And let me guess, in the real world, you play this game every waking moment. Because you've only started three weeks ago, but you're already level 32. So you're probably unemployed, living in your parent's basement, or somebody else's basement. Am I close?”

  “Let's get this over with,” Nelson said.

  “Sir, the probability of winning...” Louie started.

  “Shut up, Louie, don't feed his ego,” Mikhaya said.

  

  

  The announcement scrolled across the field: Lv. 22 Mikhaya, Lv. 21 Lauryn, Lv. 19 Louie Vs. Lv. 31 Nelson, Lv. 20 Robot A-23, Lv. 16 Robot A-23

  

  64

  Nelson used signature move 1 Rocket Arm against Mikhaya

  HP: 90/154

  Power: 70

  Team MP: 80

  Description: The user fires their arm at an opponent. For every Robot on the user's team, this move gains ten power. The MP cost goes up.

  

  “Targeting me. Not surprised,” Mikhaya said. “What are you trying to prove? That you can beat the former number one player? I had to start back to level one. That's not much to brag about.”

  “I just want to beat you,” Nelson said.

  “I'm not comfortable being the object of your obsession,” Mikhaya said.

  

  27

  Mikhaya used Drop Kick against Nelson

  HP: 128/155

  Power: 40

  Team MP: 80

  Description: The user runs and uses a powerful dropping kick on an opponent.

  

  “That hurt,” Nelson said. “It's your level seven potential.”

  “I'm a natural.”

  “Guys like us have to work a lot harder. The game just decides to hand freebies.”

  “It's not random. It's based on your natural ability. I'm just better than you, naturally.”

  

  17

  Lauryn used signature move 1 Friendly Arrow Fire against Nelson, and chooses to heal Mikhaya

  HP: 111/155

  Power: 40

  Team MP: 40

  Description: An arrow made from Keltian light that hits one opponent and hits you or a teammate to heal 40% of max HP.

  “Thanks, babe,” Mikhaya said.

  “Annoying,” Nelson said. “I'm sure I will win the long game.”

  

  19

  Lv. 20 Robot A-23 used signature move 1 Charge Up Beam against Mikhaya

  HP: 135/154

  Power: 40

  Team MP: 40

  Description: A beam that hits an opponent and raises the user's attack by 20%. This effect triggers before attacking.

  “See,” Nelson said. “Their attack will continue raising, so your little healing signature won't matter in the next couple of turns.”

  

  8, 11, 14

  Louie used signature move 1 Stretchy Arms against opponents.

  HP: 103/155 69/80 50/64

  Power: 20

  Team MP: 0

  Description: The user stretches their arms to hit all opposing fighters.

  

  14

  Lv. 16 Robot A-23 used signature move 1 Charge Up Beam against Mikhaya

  HP: 121/154

  Power: 40

  Team MP: 0

  Description: A beam that hits an opponent and raises the user's attack by 20%. This effect triggers before attacking.

  

  57

  Nelson used Hammer Arm against Mikhaya

  HP: 64/154

  Power: 40

  Team MP: 100

  Description: The user comes near and hammers his arm down on his opponent.

  

  Mikhaya looked at Lauryn and nodded. He initiated flee, breaking the battlefield aura.

  

  

  Lauryn glowed up, becoming brighter and brighter until a blinding flash of light exploded from her. This gave them time and cover to run to the border and cross it.

  Nelson and his party followed, unable to pass into Corinth. An invisible shield withstood their tackling and laser blasts.

  “Later, Nelson,” Mikhaya said. “Tell mom hello for me.”

  “That won't work next time,” Nelson said, walking back.

  Mikhaya went into the team inventory and took an E-Soda Max. “That guy has a serious problem.”

  “Envy,” Lauryn said. “He's out to prove something.”

  “I'm more popular than I thought,” Mikhaya said.

  As they continued their snowy trek an encounter triggered. Three Snowolfs had jumped in front of them. Their fur drizzled snowflakes when they moved and had fangs of ice.

  “You should have healed before entering another arena,” Lauryn said.

  “Yeah. Nelson did a number on me,” Mikhaya said. “But these guys are low-leveled. I could take all three of them with my HP.”

  “They're kind of cute,” Lauryn said.

  “Say that when their icy fangs are in you,” Mikhaya said.

  Lauryn motioned as if hearing a sound. “My phone's ringing. I'm logging out,” Lauryn said.

  “I'll be fine with your ghost,” Mikhaya said.

  Lauryn logged out, leaving behind her ghost, trained in her neural pathways.

  

  The Real World

  

  She picked up her cell phone on the bed and saw the caller ID: Big Bad Wolf.

  “Hi, mom,” Lauryn answered.

  “I heard the bad news,” Suzanne said.

  “That's private information,” Lauryn said. “Patient confidentiality. Did doctor Michaels call you?”

  “I called him. I'm your power of attorney, remember.”

  “Ah, I forgot I signed that. Lauryn shook her head, not sure she had made her pushy mother her power of attorney. Clearly, she wasn't in the right frame of mind during that time. Her brother would have been a sane choice. “Let me guess, you call him every day?”

  “I'm worried Lauryn, I have to. Did you take your medication?

  Lauryn got up, and hurried to her dresser, knocking down items in search of her medication. At finding the bottle, she chugged two pills into her mouth and swallowed with a cup of water.

  “Yep,” Lauryn said.

  “Is your room clean?” Suzanne asked.

  “I'm not a kid anymore,” Lyn said.

  “I will judge that for myself,” Suzanne said. “I'm outside.”

  Lauryn looked out the window and saw her mother exiting her Ford SUV. She hung up and groaned. At hearing the doorbell she went downstairs to let her in.

  “Mother,” Lauryn said with a fake smile.

  Suzanne pushed her way through the doorway. “I need a copy of your key in case of an emergency.”

  “I'm not giving you a key,” Lauryn said.

  “What if you drop dead, darling?” Suzanne asked.

  “I rather drop dead than give you a key,” Lauryn said.

  “Why?”

  “Because you'd give me more hell than usual. You'd make me take my freaking life.”

  “I will ignore that,” Suzanne said, going upstairs.

  “Where are you going?”

  “To see how things are up there.”

  Lauryn followed as she entered her bedroom.

  “Hmm,” Suzanne said. “As I suspected. You were a lot cleaner when Mikhaya was around.”

  “Get out, mom!” Lauryn shouted.

  “What's this?” Suzanne asked, picking up Lauryn's EdenVR headset. “Playing video games when you should be tidying up. You are a kid.”

  “Give me that,” Lauryn said, wrestling it from her mother until she let go.

  “Wow,” Suzanne said. “You're really attached to that thing.”

  Lauryn cradled the headset in her arms. “You will never understand.”

  “Well, I've seen enough today,” Suzanne said. “I learned that I'm not welcomed. And you're addicted to a video game.”

  “Please leave,” Lauryn said, sitting on the bed and crying.

  “I'm sorry,” Suzanne said. “You miss him, don't you? I miss him too. The best thing to ever happen to you, in my opinion. I wish your father had looked at me, like how Mikhaya looked at you, and not run off with a much younger woman. Maybe if I had a man love me like how he loved you, maybe I wouldn't be such a mess.”

  “Yeah, you're kind of annoying,” Lauryn said, laughing and wiping away her tears.

  “It's hard not seeing him anymore?” Suzanne asked.

  “I do see him all the time,” Lauryn said, smiling.

  “Maybe, darling, you should start seeing a psychiatrist. You had a traumatic experience and should get professional help. Use my psychiatrist, doctor Jacobs. I can book you a session with him.”

  “You choose your doctors based on how they look,” Lauryn said. “No way I'd take a recommendation from you. And I'm not coo-coo, mom. I'm fine.”

  “Give me a few more months, and the hot doctor Jacobs will be your stepfather,” Suzanne said, winking. “I'm off, hon. Promise me, if you keep seeing Mikhaya, you will get help.”

  “Promise,” Lauryn said.

  Suzanne kissed her on the head. “Be strong, baby.”

  

  EdenVR Online

  

  The snow-covered ground had begun to turn to green grass as the temperature rose. Mikhaya spotted an Eden Taxi kiosk, and it spoke as he came near. “Where are you going, player?”

  “Tauca,” Mikhaya said

  “How many are in your party?”

  “Three.”

  “How tall is the tallest member of your party?

  “Six feet.”

  “That will be 2000 gold.”

  “That's pricey,” Lauryn said.

  “Yeah. Do we get a discount since she's a princess?” Mikhaya asked.

  “There are no current discounts for royalty or political figures,” the kiosk said. “Eden Taxi is a neutral taxi service, so we do not endorse the Empire or the Resistance.”

  “Yeah, yeah,” Mikhaya said, accepting the payment on the kiosk.

  “Give us a moment,” it said, then a pre-recorded message played in the meantime. “Thank you for choosing Eden Taxi. We're located in every state in Eden, provide convenient transportation, and are able to accommodate any party no matter the size! Our taxis are able to expand to 100 feet tall and 200 feet wide. If you'd like...” The message got cut off as the kiosk spoke. “Waiting time is five seconds. Thank you.”

  A self-driving yellow taxi zoomed their way and hovered in front of them. The door opened and they entered.

0