Prologue: Touchdown
63 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PROLOGUE


Touchdown

(The Adventure Begins!)

 

 

'Attention, all passengers. We have just landed at Landara International Airport. Please, take all belongings with you before disembarking the airship. Thank you for flying Chaltish Airways and have a good morning.'

It was the 8th of September, at about quarter-past eight in the morning.

Stationed by Platform 19 was a parked airship sporting a livery of white, blue and red. In this modern fantasy world of Rethando, airships are the primary method for air travel and have been so for a handful of centuries.

The day was certainly busy for Landara Airport. Serving the capital city Ostolingen, of the northern Kingdom of Vritsda, the airport was bound to be flooded by nationals and tourists soon to be walking on Vridish soil.

Beings of all sorts and sizes inhabit this fantasy world — all from the classic humans, elves, dwarves and orcs to the exotic lizardfolk, demonbloods, celestials and vampires. The machinations of their lives and abilities to coexist are governed by the Rethandic Gods tending to each nation. And because the northern Kingdom of Vritsda is a subset of this world, it inherits these attributes whilst adding some chilly touches.

'Ahh... That flight took forever! Did there have to be a thunderstorm right before our departure?!'

Indeed. Beings like this pink-haired complainer of a woman in a sun hat and a summer dress do exist in this world. Not to worry, as this is hardly the worst combination out there.

'Shut up!' an orcish male passenger shouted, 'Did you want all of us to die in the storm?'

Gossips spread across the room. Many began returning the noises that had disappeared through few split-seconds of silence. Though she was a complainer to the masses, this woman was notably perceptive and insightful.

'That girl was so rude!'

'Sheeesh... He's right, you know.'

'I mean... she's pretty... My Centuria, why do pretty girls always have to be so bitchy?!'

'Seriously... what a Karen.'

This woman who happens to be our main character simply sighed.

'You know what... I should really keep some things to myself... Like this...'

 

<...>

 

'Next.'

Landara's immigration area was packed with all sorts of travellers. Even if one were to queue at the shortest line, reaching the end would take them fifty minutes. A handful of snake lines was the airport's modus operandi for passenger surges — mostly to save on precious airport space, and partially to give more people the sense of progress.

But our main character had conquered the slithering path. She was well on her way to her own path. An hour and two had passed before this pink-haired tourist left the queue at last.

'Hi. Passport, please.'

The tourist readily handed over a booklet to the officer.

This officer, half-elven in appearance, examined the booklet from multiple angles.

'O...kay. Cheryl Valentine, was it?'

'Mhm. That's me.'

Perceptive as she was, Cheryl took note of the officer's name.

'Sorry, Mister Eriksson, is there anything in particular you're looking for?'

'Ah, you are so kind. But I'm fine.'

'...'

The officer was doing just fine. He went through specific pages, glossing over sections to find key details.

'And you are here for...'

'Travel and leisure,' Cheryl replied, looking him with glistening, violet eyes.

'Very well.' Eriksson turned a couple of pages over. With a stamp, he pressed on an empty page. 'Is this your first trip, Miss Valentine?'

'Umm... yes. I've never travelled outside my place. But I would wanna go around the world! I'm quite the adventurer myself.'

Cheryl Valentine was, in fact, not at all the adventurer.

'Great. I wish you luck then, can't hold you up for too long. Have fun in your escapades and... Välkommen till Vritsda.'

'Oh, cheers! I don't know what that meant but it sounded kind. You too, have a nice day.'

Our tourist proceeded to head off just as she heard Eriksson's next 'Next!'. She had not brought large baggage; a single backpack was all she had on her. This allowed Cheryl to simply prod toward the exit in glee.

Because for her...

'My first adventure begins now!'

Bouncing for every step she took, eagerly awaiting the daylight that would greet her on foreign soil — with nothing but the purest and cutest joy, Cheryl made her way outside the airport.

'...Woah.'

The skies were blue. The sun was in full view. A refreshing cold breeze swept past her and the many others who had just exited. Cheryl grasped the straps of her brownish leather backpack, looking around in excitement and deep interest.

Her observant nature should be mentioned yet again. From a distance, she noticed silhouettes of ice-capped mountains and dormant volcanoes. Flocks of seagulls perched on lamp posts evenly scattered across the pickup area. The winds also seemed to be tending toward a south-eastern direction. Unlike most mortals out there in Rethando and all other characters we have seen so far, only she could sense this without the need of a compass.

'This is... so cool... The weather's nice, the wind's refreshing... The view is amazing... Umm...'

A sudden thought entered Cheryl's mind. After leaving the immigration area she had been thinking happy and exciting thoughts. Now that her fifteen seconds of wonder were up, reality had struck.

'Where should I go now?!'

Even rookie adventurers in guilds would be told about a plan or course of action to follow. Guilds have a duty of guiding newcomers to fortify their community. Adventurers taking on missions would receive relevant intel from the guild's "quest givers". More seasoned travellers like veteran advisors and dungeoneers would provide tips and layout plans for the journey to come. The more fortunate, or unfortunate depending on circumstance, could also use their connections with key people to benefit the mission at hand. Whichever status an adventurer would possess does not exclude them from the importance of planning, even if such plans were to be made moments before the mission began.

The caveat is: Cheryl Valentine was never an adventurer.

Our main character had never joined a guild, nor had she sought advice from others before her travel. Her journey to Vritsda and the hopeful future treks around Rethando had spawned from an irresistible urge to explore the globe. She had the act of travelling and mobility in mind. What she had not prepared for was literally everything else.

'Hmm... I should just venture into the capital to find out. Goddess, I do hope some people speak Langlish... Why did I not plan for any of this?'

'Because I really wanna explore!' her past self would have answered, 'Being a nomad for a bit? That's future me's problem!'

'Cheryl, you muppet! You knew this was coming!'

Ding di-di-ding ding!

'Huh?'

High-pitched, metallic rings sounded right beside her. A collection of gold coins rolled on the floor and dispersed around her leather boots.

'Aw come on!' exasperatedly yelled what seemed to be the voice of a young girl.

'Who the heck is this?'

Indeed, a young girl dashed toward Cheryl and knelt to pick up the gold coins. She had short white hair, styled similarly to a bob cut. She wore a black dress vest with silvery and golden touches, paired with a violet mini-skirt hanging above long, black, leather boots. Violet tattoos of occult, arcane design decorated her bare shoulders.

'Sorry to bother you! My purse is acting up again...'

'Purse... acting up?' One can easily imagine the confused look on Cheryl's face.

'Uhuh, it happens all the time. A lot of stuff happen all the time!'

'You... aren't pulling my leg or anything, right?'

'I mean, I could do exactly that from this position... But I promise I'm not!'

Having retuned all coins to her apparently naughty purse, the girl rose from her kneeling. To Cheryl, she had revealed her dull yellow eyes, black lips befitting a goth, and a blue-violet choker of draconic charm about her neck. And she was a number of inches shorter — about five feet flat compared to Cheryl's five-and-a-third.

'Okay, young woman. After ruining my time of contemplation, you better introduce yourself.'

The white-haired girl, who stood four inches shorter than our main character, embarrassedly sighed.

'Go on. I don't bite.'

'...Ivris. Ivris Vanaheim. Look, I'm really sorry-!'

'Don't apologise,' Cheryl interrupted, 'I'm not that ruthless today.'

Ivris eyed her in slight dread. This other woman's words had been getting into her.

'Heh. Did I really intimidate this teenage girl?! Normally I'd speak like a regular human being and pass this off as a happy little accident... This is priceless!'

Suddenly, the figurative light bulb flickered above the pink-haired tourist's head.

'Wait. Ivris Vanaheim... Vanaheim... Vana... heim... Vanaheim! That's a "Heim"! A realm in Vridish viking mythology or something! This girl HAS to be a native of this nation. Which means...!'

Eureka!

'If I tag along for a bit, she can tour me around while I weigh my options. Aha! I won't be so lost!'

'What's your name... uhh... miss?'

'Cheryl Valentine. Just call me Cheryl.'

'O...Okay. Well, I'll be on my way. Take care of yourself... yeah?'

As the girl named Ivris was about to walk away, Cheryl began on her improvised plan.

'Ivris, are you heading towards the capital by any chance?'

'Oh... like the Ostolingen area? I am, yes.'

Glistening sparks returned to the eyes of our Cheryl Valentine.

'Mind if I tag along for a bit? I'm quite new to this place and don't have a map on me right now.'

'Erm... "quite"? You seem very new.'

'Understatements are common where I'm from.'

'I mean... sure. I'm not with anyone else and, to be honest, I don't mind company right now.'

'Then it's settled. You help me find a place to stay in the capital, I provide you company. Deal?'

Cheryl offered her right palm for a classy handshake. A common gesture for all agreements.

Seeing no downsides to this proposition, Ivris could not help but give in. She grasped her new acquaintance's hand with her own.

'...Deal.'

'Ah. You're a lifesaver, Ivris.'

'My... haha.' The white-haired girl scratches the back of her head. 'You could've just asked anyone. Many would be kind enough to lead you there.'

'I mean, I was gonna do that...'

'...But?'

Cheryl faced the snow-capped mountains across them. The winds blew once more in the same direction, this time with more vigour and chill.

 

~I feel that this odd meeting was destined to occur. The strings of fate had been

plucked to produce a beautiful song... The song of our union...~

 

Ivris cautiously looked to Cheryl amidst her contemplation. She appeared more terrified than before.

'Cheryl... were you perhaps... hitting on me?!'

Our pink-haired tourist shook her head. 'Ah! My bad, I was captivated by the beautiful scenery. Did I say anything strange?'

'Um, yeah.'

Cheryl sighed. 'Forgive my waffling. Let's go, I'll be right behind you.'

'O...kay. As long as you stop being creepy.'

'Come on now, what did I say?'

'...'

'Ivris!'

The girl simply walked further from the airport. Hidden from her new acquaintance's view was a mischievous grin.

'Damn you, Ivris. You really are pulling my leg!'

But all Cheryl could do is follow her. After all, the deal was her idea.

 

<...>

 

It was nearly ten in the morning.

Our main character — the pink-haired, violet-eyed, sun-hat-wearing tourist named Cheryl Valentine — had truly stepped foot on Vridish soil. She, along with her new companion — the white haired, yellow-eyed, dragon-goth girl named Ivris Vanaheim — was now on the way to Ostolingen, capital city of the Kingdom of Vritsda.

After striking a deal to travel together, they walked a good five minutes toward Landara Airport's train station. The journey was quaint and relatively uneventful. Despite their earlier moments of discourse, the conversation did not carry on. Whether it be due to Ivris's cautiousness or Cheryl's immersion in the "uncharted territory" around her, no words were spoken in this walk.

The station was not too different. Not even the security officers stationed (get it?) by the entrances were enough to have them utter words. Both were too focused on the walk and their surroundings, like the numerous Langlish-written lists of rates for train travel. This leg of the journey truly was a silent one.

Through a bunch of signs placed everywhere, both knew where they needed to go. The train directly going to the capital was parked at Platform 1, at the end of a long, wide corridor of fine stone and asphalt flooring. The station had ten of these platforms for ten different trains serving various areas. Being Ostolingen's closest and Vritsda's largest airport, Landara was a popular destination for Vridish nationals who had to conveniently go abroad. And, being a good hundred metres long, this corridor was an opportunity to extend this peaceful walk.

Cheryl was once more too busy admiring the man-made setting. She was fascinated by the cast iron tracks laid out in an orderly fashion. She adored the boxy carriages that rolled on these tracks to transport entities of all shapes and sizes. She was interested in the very foreign combinations of letters that made up Vridish words on information signs. And she was particularly mesmerised by the greenery that surrounded it all; the fact that the natural and artificial coexisted just like that made her incredibly ecstatic.

Though her silence remained amidst Cheryl's own, Ivris had been wondering about the inner workings of her acquaintance's mind. She never found any of this scenery to be worth being excited about. Nor did she find any of it mundane. Her interest was focused on the reasons behind Cheryl's interest. This random tourist from an unknown land who decided to tag along had discovered a place amongst her numerous thoughts.

'If only...' she remarked to herself, 'If only I could bring myself to speaking with her.'

'So... Ivris.'

'Uh- yeah?'

'Speak of the devil!'

Cheryl looks to the white-haired girl before her. 'I felt I needed to break this really awkward silence between us. Though I did have a great time admiring the scenery. This place is so cool already!'

'Mhm. That's so nice to hear.'

'...Was that sarcasm?'

Ivris's eyes widened. 'No, no, no! Not at all!'

'Ahahaha, I kid. That's what you get for pulling my leg earlier.'

'Tch. Of course.'

The two finally arrived at the platform, where an array of train carriages awaited them. These were whitish in colour and more rounded in frame. Their designs appeared more slick and modern, somewhat resembling a pointed capsule with a singular blue stripe extending across. This was certainly a nice change of pace from the rustic though effective boxes Cheryl had previously seen.

A guard stood between the duo and the train. He seemed to possess a baton stowed by his right hip and a rifle readied on his back.

'Tickets,' he requested in passable Langlish.

'Tickets?' both Cheryl and Ivris wondered.

Indeed; neither of them had purchased tickets for the train to the mainland.

'Trains here needed tickets?' Cheryl wondered to herself.

'Oh God, I forgot to get tickets!' Ivris internally panicked.

'If you don't have any tickets,' the guard asserted, 'Buy some on the front desk. And check the rates.'

The sound of radio static reverberated across the platform. Whizzes were heard for a few moments, leading up to a public announcement.

'Final call for all remaining passengers on the Huvudstad Line to Ostolingen. Your train departs in one minute.'

Despite this announcement, the guard stayed vigilant at being a guard. He waited for their tickets very patiently and sternly.

'Whelp, guess we have to wait for the next one.' Ivris gladly accepted her fate. 'How did I forget to buy tickets?!'

But Cheryl was not one to give up.

'Sorry, give me a moment.' She opened a leather satchel and began inspecting it with her free hand. 'Damn, it should be somewhere here...'

'Again,' the guard spoke, 'If you need tickets, buy some.'

'Aha! I found it!'

Cheryl quickly turned to the guard, such that their eyes met in a temporary gaze. She focused her attention on the guard's irises. Unbeknownst to him, various abstract runes had been drawn on his consciousness, all spelling: "LET US PASS."

...

'Okay. You are good to go. Hurry, the train will leave very soon.'

'Eh?! What the hell?!' Ivris panicked even more.

But Cheryl kept her composure and simply beamed. 'Cheers! Have a nice day! Let's go, Ivris.'

The two quickly made a run for the train whose doors would soon close. Tightly grabbing their light baggage at first, they both aimed themselves at the train's interior. Soundless yet fearless, they leapt a magnificent ten metres into a relatively free carriage.

And they succeeded.

'Phew. That was close,' Cheryl panted. Realising to have brought too much momentum on her jump, she grabbed a steel pole at the middle of the carriage and circled a good two-forty about it.

'Huff... Yeah...' Ivris too was exhausted. Yet her mind had other priorities. 'What the hell was that?!'

'Oh? What would you mean by "that"?'

'Like... that!'

For Ivris, it was tough to tell if Cheryl was playing dumb or actually being forgetful. She felt that, based on her few episodes of mischief and contemplation, this woman in a sun hat had a fifty-fifty chance of doing one or the other. Though one thing she knew for certain was something was up with her. How did she get such a capable-looking guard to let them go? They had not even bought tickets!

'That Cheryl... Could she be...?!'

'Ivris, let's sit over there. That table is free.'

'Uhh... sure.'

'Let's also spend some time introducing ourselves. Other than names we hardly knew much about each other.'

'Yeah... We haven't broken that much ice, huh?'

'Ice? It's not that cold...'

'...'

Ivris blankly stared at Cheryl's clueless face as they both sat beside each other.

'It's... a figure of speech.'

'Oh.'

Through a radio filter, the voice of a Vridish woman could be heard through audio boxes evenly-placed around the train. Unlike the platform announcement however, her words were all in Vridish. One could assume this voice to be the conductor's for her announcement was quite lengthy. Both Cheryl and Ivris did, anyway.

The train's doors closed by themselves. Anticipating its departure, Cheryl spent time catching a few more glimpses of the platform. White markings labelled with the number "01" were designated on the grey stone floor. Before and parallel to the train was a white stripe extending far between both ends of the platform, possibly to mark a boundary where people must stand behind. Trains were not entirely foreign to our pink-haired tourist. Not like the act of paying for tickets.

It did not take long before Platform 1, and everything to do with Landara International Airport, came to pass. The train began moving — accelerating up to a rapid pace. Cheryl and Ivris spotted assortments of trains and airships by the window, joined by the usual scenery of people and greenery. Few moments would transpire before the images of the outside world transformed into incomprehensible blurs. Alas, this was the time for Cheryl to stop observing the environment and focus on the things within the train.

More specifically, her travel partner.

'So, what was that about "breaking the ice"?'

'It's a figure of speech, you see. People use it when they want to make others feel more comfortable with them.'

'Oh. Did you think I wasn't comfortable with you?'

'To be honest... It's the other way around. No offence, but there are so many things you gotta explain about yourself. Like... that!'

'Okay, okay. I'm totally getting what you're saying, Ivris.'

'Ugh. Please be serious about this, you're seriously freaking me out!'

'Did I use "serious" twice in the same sentence?! Can't I be more creative with my words?!'

'Fine, fine, how about this then. We ask each other questions. You ask me first, I reply. I ask you next, you reply. Sounds simple, right?'

Ivris sighs. 'Yes. That's fine.'

'Okay, you go first.'

The white-haired girl thought a bit. Of the several thoughts that lingered in her head, she had to start with something sensible.

'Cheryl. What's your full name? How old are you? Where are you from? And why are you here?'

'...Too many questions.'

'Yeah, but, can't you just answer those ones right now?'

'...I suppose I could.'

Cheryl removed her sun hat and placed it flat on the table. Something new Ivris noticed of her was a pair of pointy, elven-like ears normally hidden by her hat's shadows. But no, Cheryl did not do this reveal anything hidden. Her hat just kept hitting the back of her seat.

'My name is Cheryl Valentine. Age twenty-five. I come from a faraway land of dungeons and dragons. And I'm here as part of my quest to explore the world.'

'A faraway land... of dungeons and... did you say, dragons?!'

'Did you just ignore everything else I said?'

'No, I heard you. Do you mind being more specific about where you're from?'

'...Nope.'

Ivris nodded. 'Then I too will not reveal exactly where I'm from.'

'Oh? You're not from here?'

'Yeah. The name "Vanaheim" could get people to assume I'm from a viking's bloodline. But I'm really not. My family only happened to have that surname.'

'So, where's your family from?'

'...'

'...Right. Fair enough. But I take it you've been here before?'

'I have. I've gone on several adventures with my mother before.'

Cheryl's pupils dilated. She had never journeyed outside her home country before, nor had her family supported the idea. Her violet eyes began to reflect an estranged tint of green.

'And to be really honest, Cheryl? Umm... I don't know if I should say this.'

'...Go on. I'm listening.'

'......You kinda remind me of her. My mom.'

Ivris's dull eyes glowed. Either through sunlight or inspiration, or perhaps a blend of both, this change brought about a truly friendly aura that touched Cheryl.

'Aw, that's quite cute. How so?'

'She was... curious. Perceptive. Mysterious. Beautiful. And quite magical too.'

'Did... Did she call me magical? Shit, she must've seen what I did to that guard.'

'Which leads us to the massive elephant in my room. What the hell did you do to that guy?!'

'Speak of the bloody devil!'

'I... uhh... showed him our tickets?' Then Cheryl began to whisper. 'Also, be a tad more quiet about this!'

'Okay,' Ivris replied at seventy-five percent volume, 'What the hell did you do to that guy?!'

'Fine. I'll tell you what.'

The pink-haired tourist unfolded her right hand. Eyes closed, she focused on what seemed to be magic coursing around her body. Until suddenly, ten ripe cherries materialised on her palm.

'You... really do magic...'

'Indeed,' Cheryl boasted, 'I practice magic. I have been for decades. And I am aware that many kinds of magic exist in this world. My type of magic is the more nature-y kind.'

Upon hearing this, Ivris felt only the purest of awe. And our very insightful Cheryl knew she had to capitalise on this moment.

'To be frank, I don't think writing rules onto one's consciousness was the best way to show I'm a magician of nature. But I do have all sorts of powers and spells — "Inntinn, Vow" made those rules, "Talamh, Feed" made these cherries.'

Continually enamoured by Cheryl's display, Ivris subconsciously grabbed four of her cherries and munched on them.

'Simply put, Ivris—'

 

'I am a druid.'

 

'......Ohhhhhh... You're... a druid...'

The girl simply enjoyed her cherries. A testament to how much she admired Cheryl's magical abilities.

'How about you, Ivris? Do you also do magic?'

'Mmm... Ah... munch yes, I do. Mine's on munch the more probabilistic munch side of it.'

'Probabilistic? What's that mean?'

'Hmm... munch perhaps, unpredictable? Chaotic?'

'You don't appear to be that chaotic. Hell, I thought yours would be more dragon-like with your choker and all.'

'Oh, this... munch The dragons come when they have to.'

'When and where can I see this in action?'

'...Once we get to Ostolingen? I just need a really safe space.'

'You got it.'

Conversations about magic aside, the two realised themselves to be passing through a tunnel. The train that once basked in the great sunlight needed some time off. The blurs which the windows painted had disappeared as only pitch blackness surrounded the carriages.

'Ivris,' Cheryl proceeded to continue the conversation, 'Why are you here in Vritsda?'

'Well... it's complicated. But it's mostly about me settling here.'

'Ah. Living up to the viking myth theme, I see.'

'...Something like that, I guess?'

'Hahahaha. That's a curse of your name having meaning. People think I've had one too many husbands because of my surname.'

'And you have?'

'Zero.'

'...Ah.' Ivris's face was riddled with pity.

'Come on, it's not that bad. Besides, that's hardly a priority of mine. I'm here to explore the world, remember? Having a family would hinder that a bit.'

'You don't need to have a family with a lover. He could be your travel buddy or whatever. Looking for people to mingle with ain't that difficult...'

'Ivris, how old are you to be telling me these things?'

'Eighteen.'

Cheryl sighed. 'It ain't easy, trust me.'

A brief time period within the tunnel had occurred. From a steady quick pace, the train had begun to decelerate. The same radio-filtered voice of a Vridish woman blared through the audio boxes. Suddenly, several passengers began reaching out for baggage stored on overhead chutes.

'We are close by,' Ivris spoke.

'So you do understand Vridish.'

'...Cheryl. I'd recommend taking a look outside right about now.'

The two peered out into the window beside them. The tunnel's pitch-blackness gradually faded away into a bright yellow light. Somewhat blindingly, the light greeted their eyes for an instant. They hoped that a magnificent view lied beyond this tunnel.

 

'This place... looks so gorgeous.'

 

Right next to the window, Cheryl enjoyed the scenic look of a bustling city with differently-coloured buildings and clean green spaces. From cosy, decorated apartment boxes to enormous and tall spires, this city had a great variety of architectures. She saw beings from all races and walks of life, walking through the boardwalk bordering the crystal-clear waters. Such waters she had just realised to be very close to her; short, grey railings giving way to her view and familiar reflections on the wavy blue surface suggested the train was moving on a slightly-elevated stone bridge.

'What do you think, Cheryl?'

'This... this is so beautiful!'

The Vridish conductor once more gave a lengthy announcement. To Cheryl, who had not understood the Vridish language, she was speaking in an incomprehensible state of gibberish. Which is already incomprehensible.

She thought this way, until her last few words. Those words she had somewhat heard hours before. Words she never knew what they meant, but only now understood—

 

'Välkommen, till Ostolingen.'

 

 

0