4 – final day – 363/365
179 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Spoiler

[collapse]

Alex woke with a start and clutched his hands to his chest, trying to hold Mei close. But all he got was air.

Nothing. Mei was gone. Not only that, but it was dark.

Alex blinked and then slowly sat up.

It was dark. Pitch black. But he recognized the surroundings.

His room.

"...Another dream, or- No. That wasn't a dream." Alex placed his hand over his left eye. As he did, he saw it.

Mei, slowly closing her eyes. Her body, held in his arms and unmoving.

*static*

"I hate you."

*static*

The soft whisper of her voice. The bitter and broken tone as she spoke those three words.

Alex took a deep breath and exhaled. After that, he got out of his bed and picked up his phone. The time...

"4 AM, Friday the 13th..."

The same day, but earlier.

Another chance. At least, that was what it seemed to be. But...

Alex shook his head and then walked out of his room.

Mei's room was across the hall. That was how she had arrived so quick after he woke up screaming to check on him.

But this time...

Alex slowly opened Mei's door.

It was dark. He could hear breathing and see a vague figure lying on the bed. But...

He had to check.

Alex held up his phone and turned on the flashlight.

There she was. Sleeping peacefully.

For a split second, Alex saw that scene again. Her, lying in the casket.

But that image quickly faded. Especially when Mei started blinking and looked to him with bleary eyes. "Al...? The heck are you doing...?"

Spoiler

[collapse]

"...Sorry, Mei." Alex turned off his phone. "I... thought I heard you talking."

"...Go back to sleep, dummy." Mei grumbled and then turned over in her bed, burying herself beneath her blankets.

Alex stared at her for a while longer and then shook his head. Stepping out of her room, he quietly closed it and stood in the hallway, thinking.

He was being weird. He knew it. Mei probably thought he was delirious or something from staying up late studying.

But that was fine.

She was still alive to think that. And she would still be alive to think that later if he had his way.

For now though...

Alex walked back into his room and turned on his light. After that, he pulled out a notebook and a pen.

Time to plan.

xxx

"...Are you sure you're alright?" Mei sipped her cup of coffee and frowned, staring at Alex from her place at the kitchen table. "Since when do you cook me breakfast? Especially fried rice?"

A faint pang of regret. Even so, Alex laughed it off as he turned off the stove. "I figured it was long overdue. I mean, I used to do it all the time when you were younger, right?" He grabbed a plate and spoon before serving Mei the fried rice. "There you go."

Mei took the plate and then gave Alex a blank look. "...You do know that fried rice and coffee don't go together, right?"

Alex blinked. "...Oh. That's a good point."

He didn't think that far ahead.

"Well, whatever." Mei grumbled and started eating. "...It's still good."

Alex served himself some fried rice as well and then sat next to Mei.

She blinked and then frowned. "What's up with you today?"

"Nothing. I just felt like spoiling my baby sister a bit." Smiling, Alex reached out to pat Mei's head. Before he could though, she quickly scooted out of the way.

Alex froze.

Mei winced and shook her head. "...I'm not a kid anymore, Al."

"Right. Sorry." He lowered his hand and went back to eating.

As he did, he remembered something.

At the start of the school year, Mei was perfectly okay with getting head pats and hugs. But since when did she start avoiding them...?

Mei gave Alex a strange look.

Alex stared back.

Mei shook her head and then went back to eating.

Alex did the same. But after a while, he stopped and said, "Hey, Meimei."

Mei tensed.

Spoiler

[collapse]

And then Alex saw it. A fast reaction that he barely saw through his left eye. Happiness, followed by guilt and shame before turning into anger.

But only for just a moment.

That passed and Mei rolled her eyes. "Again, not a kid, Al. And what?"

He wanted to know. To ask her why she was mad at him. Why she reacted that way.

But Alex also knew.

The Mei sitting there wasn't the Meimei he remembered. Something about today was different. Or... was this the result of a year's neglect...?

Again, that pang of guilt and regret.

But Alex simply smiled and said, "Just wanted to let you know that I love you. After I get out, let's go..." He paused to think about something Mei would enjoy.

A movie? A walk in the park? Shopping?

...God. Alex didn't even know what she liked right now. Did she still watch Anime? Did she still like cosplaying? What about games?

Alex pursed his lips, trying to think of what they could do.

And then Mei laughed.

He blinked and looked over.

Mei froze and then coughed. "...Sorry. I just remembered how much you used to spoil me."

How much Alex 'used' to spoil her.

The words were more knives, piercing straight into his heart.

Mei shook her head and then waved her spoon at Alex. "Eat, Al. And don't worry about me. Today's important for you, isn't it? We can..." She trailed off and then said, "...I'll talk with you later."

"...Are you sure?"

"Positive."

A lie. Mei was smiling, but that smile didn't reach her eyes.

Still, Alex didn't push it. Instead, he did as his sister asked and finished his food. But while he did, he made a decision.

xxx

"Thanks Al." Mei adjusted her backpack and then gave Alex a bright smile and a thumbs up. "Good luck on your test!"

"...Yeah. Have fun with your friends."

Mei's smile dimmed for just a split moment. But then she nodded and waved, walking away into the crowd of students.

Alex watched her leave, frowning. "...Is she in with a bad crowd?"

"Is who in with a bad crowd, Bro?"

Alex flinched and then spun around.

Chue was standing there, casually holding his backpack over his left shoulder. He looked past Alex and then said, "Mei?"

Alex sighed. "Yeah. Mei." He turned towards Chue and said, "I... just realized how much I've been neglecting her this year. And I'm worried."

If he let things continue like they did before... Would he see it again? Mei's life slipping away before his eyes? Or worse... her body already run cold and motionless?

Alex started to tremble.

"H-Hey." Chue reached out to wrap an arm around Alex's shoulders and frowned. "...Are you good, Bro? Did something happen with Mei?"

Alex paused, wondering if he should tell Chue what was going on... Or at least what Alex was worried about.

"Al? Bud?"

Before Alex could answer, the warning bell rang. The five minute mark before class started.

Alex frowned and then said, "Let's talk at lunch. I... think I'll need your help, Chue."

Chue gave Alex a serious look and then nodded. "Alright." He clapped Alex's shoulder once and said, "I've got your back, Bro."

"Thanks."

"Now... Do you know what Le'-"

"L'Hopital's rule. And it's used to get the limit of indeterminate functions. Like zero divided by zero or infinity over infinity."

"Whoa. Since when could you read minds, Bro?"

Alex sighed.

xxx

The morning classes and tests finished in a flash.

Since he had just gone through it all, Alex was the first one finished with his exams and had a lot of free time to think.

Think, worry, and regret.

But then it was lunchtime. And also the time to figure out an action plan.

"...So you think Mei's going to Minecraft herself?"

Alex sighed. "Could you take this serious, Chue?"

"Sorry, Bro." Chue shook his head and then took a bite out of his sandwich. "Just... I don't wanna say it, you know?" He frowned and said, "Mei, wanting to..." He trailed off and shook his head again. "It just seems impossible."

"That's why I wanted to ask you. Did you notice anything off with her?"

Chue blinked and said, "Wouldn't you know better, Bro? You're her big brother."

"...Well." Alex looked down at his juice cup and shook his head. "I haven't been the best big brother this year."

"Oh. That's true. You did make her cry when you wouldn't take her to Anime Expo." Chue took another bite from his sandwich and then said, "And you didn't even take her to prom. All her friends went, you know?"

Alex blinked. "What?"

"Huh?" Chue frowned. "You didn't know?"

"Of course I didn't know! I didn't even know Mei wanted to go."

"...Damn, Bro. I thought *I* was a bad brother. But-"

A sudden vibration. Alex's cellphone.

His eyes widened and he pulled it out.

The same text message that he missed before. Mei saying she felt sick and wanted to go home.

Chue noticed and frowned. "Is that Mei?"

Alex didn't respond. Instead, he stood up and called Mei back.

One ring. Two. Three... and then it went to voicemail.

Alex lowered his phone, pieces of information clicking in his head.

Feeling sick. Going home early. Breakfast with 'friends.'

"Bro?"

"Mei's in the same classes as your sister, right?"

Chue blinked. "Eve? Yeah."

"What class are they in right now?"

Chue frowned and said, "It's fourth period, so... Gym?"

Gym.

Alex clenched his phone and then ran off.

"H-Hey! Bro! Hold on!"

xxx

He was too late.

Talking to the gym teacher, Mei had already left school with a 'friend.'

But when Alex asked, the teacher didn't know.

So Alex left.

Grabbing his keys and wallet, he headed straight home.

At least, that was the plan. But just as he started up his car, someone knocked on the window.

"Bro!"

Alex blinked and looked over. "Chue?!"

His friend was standing there, panting. "H-Hey. Hold up. I'll come with you."

Alex shook his head. "But won't your parents-"

"If you're this panicked, it's serious, isn't it?" Chue opened the back and tossed his bag in before hopping in the passenger seat. "I'll cover for you. If anyone asks, I had a family emergency and you're driving me home."

"Chue-"

"Got it memorized? Now come on. You know where to go, so let's get going."

Alex stared at Chue. As he did, Alex's left eye started to itch and he remembered something. The reason why the string bracelets caught his eye last time.

"What?" Chue laughed and said, "Worried about me, Bro?"

"...You're a good friend, Chue. And sorry for not coming to your Uwa Neng ceremony thing."

Chue cringed. "You're Chinese, how can you pronounce it so- Ah, whatever." He waved his hand and said, "It's not a big deal. Now come on. Mei's in trouble, right? Drive, Bro."

Alex nodded.

xxx

Instead of parking on the driveway, Alex parked in the garage when he got back. After that, he sat in the living room of his house, waiting with Chue.

"...So you mind telling me what's going on?" Chue frowned. "Why are we sitting here in the dark at your house?"

"I told you. Mei said she was coming home early because she felt sick. But..."

At that time, a car pulled up on the street.

Alex narrowed his eyes.

It was a red convertible.

Mei got out first and then walked around, opening the door for the driver.

Chue stood up and frowned. "What the hell? Why's Mei doing that?"

"That's what I want to know."

Was she being bullied? Coerced? Blackmailed?

A girl stepped out from the driver's side. Blonde, and wearing fancy brand name clothes.

She also looked irritated and started jabbing her finger at Mei. After that, she crossed her arms and laughed while Mei cowered.

Alex growled and threw the door open to walk out-

*static*

"That crazy bitch. Can't believe she actually did it."

*static*

A faint memory. A stray conversation he heard back at the funeral while walking around in a daze.

*static*

"All I said was that she should go fuck her brother if she liked him that much. Ugh. Talking about him all the time like that... What weirdo. Guess she was crazy after all though. Actually going through with it... heh."

*static*

"Bro?!"

"A-Al?"

A pair of voices. But Alex didn't hear them.

Instead, he saw it. Her.

- Right.

The person who got thrown out from the funeral home. The haughty blonde girl who showed up only to mock Mei.

He could see her in his left eye, still sneering. In his right, she was looking at him with shock and fear.

"BRO, NO!"

Before Alex knew it, his key was in his right hand. His left reached out to grab the blonde girl's neck, and his right thrust the key towards her eye and-

Spoiler

[collapse]

xxx

>>>murder(Instigator)

Traceback error. function murder is undefined.

>>>payCost(life)
"Penalty for attempting to take another's life: 13"

>>>print(life)
350 days of life remain for Alex Li.

>>>rewind()
var CoD is: overdose
var Instigator is: {
    "name":"???","description":"blonde girl"
    ,"relation":"Mei's 'friend'"

    ,"personality":"arrogant b****"}
Traceback error. var negativeAffection is True.

Parse error. Failed to parse Instigator.name.
Caught unhandled exception: Murderous Intent.

>>>print(checkpoint)
"06/13/12"

>>>restartDay(checkpoint)
"reloading..."

"waking processes..."

"Error: Alex_Li.sane is False."

>>>checkMentalHealth(Alex_Li)
var negativeSanity is: True

var murderousIntent is: True
var griefStage is: "anger"

>>>helper = loadMemory(Chue_Xiong)

>>>restartDay(checkpoint, helper)
"reloading..."
"restoring partial memory of helper..."

"waking processes..."

>>>

9