3. Peaceful Society
296 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hoof..." I breathe out as my breath glows in a slight white and green gradual.

I've reached rank E, I can control external viruses to a certain extent now.

This is impressive, I don't believe anyone else ever broke through in only 3 days.

Hm? 

I notice the subtle white in the atmosphere.

My body is subconsciously overjoyed that its power ranked up. 

...

The longer I possess Ayato's body, the more I know about him and his memories. Ayato has been stuck in the F rank ever since his power bloomed and received countless humiliations.

Also...

I gather a sphere of wind in my palm, it's weak but enough to serve as a fan. 

I seem to be able to use Ayato's wind power, with this, I have two powers to utilize. Since Ayato's power lies in the psychic and elemental category, my absorption effectively boosted his too.

Smiling, I am glad at how compatible Ayato's power is with mine. I couldn't control the way my plague spreads very effectively but with Ayato's power, an effect similar to "airborne infection" can be achieved. 

I get off the hospital bed and stretch my arm. Looking at the mirror again, my frail physique has enhanced into a relatively normal and slim one.

During the past few days, I've observed and tested to find out what my awakened power does. Aside from stronger control and connection, I realise that my virus can "transfer" some of the nutrients it consumed, improving my body when I command it. The only downside is my virus weakening.

That doesn't matter for now.

"Once again, the legislation for power usage has been tightened once more. To prevent another catastrophe, Enlightened is not allowed to use their powers without further notice and a license." The podcast from the radio says. The nurses brought one in to quench my boredom. Enlightened refers to people with powers.

It's getting harder for villains to abuse their power as the number of superheroes increases and becomes stronger. The laws have been pushing toward stricter regulation of power usage as well.

*knock knock*

It's Ayaka. 

"Hello, brother!" She says with glee. I notice a few other people in formal suits behind her, two men and one woman. "Don't mind them too much, they are good...but very paranoid people... They want to do a small test on your body to check for the virus.

Ayaka nods to the man with a beard. He walks to me and takes my arm, circulating the energy around my body.

...

As his energy travels around, I manoeuvre my virus out of the way. He can circulate all he wants, it will be a fruitless cat and mouse game.

The man shakes his head at the people behind Ayaka, confirming my status.

"Thank you for your cooperation." He says to me before they rest left.

"They are from the hero association. Don't mind them." Says Ayaka. "Come on, let's go. You are discharged. I will bring you back home."

I nod and smiles. 

Ayaka, relieved at my 'happiness', hugs me.

-----------------------------

"Here is our home!" Ayaka says. Beyond us is a regular apartment in a regular neighbourhood. The car she fetched me is also second-hand. 

Weird. She should be a high-ranking hero with loads of money but... Is this modesty?

"Come on!" She says.

"O-Oh! Yes." I reply.

A completely normal home in Sapporo...

The home looked rather small for two people with only a bathroom, kitchen, living room, and two bedrooms. 

"And...this is your room!..." Says Ayaka, opening the door and revealing a room full of superhero posters. "Haha... Uhm...I didn't touch any of your prized possession. I hope doing so will allow you to remember something. Is it uncomfortable?" 

"Not really, I feel comfortable," I say.

Ayaka smiles. "I'm glad. Anyways, I have work today but I promise I will be back early to accompany you, alright? There are snacks in the fridge and some games on the tv console."

With that, she quickly left the apartment in high spirits. 

...

I should scout the neighbourhood.

When I got to the ground level, a man exercising jogs past me and a warm family walks past laughing and chatting.

I click my tongue. It's too peaceful. During my prime, everyone hid in their home like cowards, afraid of catching the plague. Many riots and famines sprout throughout the world as governments and superheroes were criticized for being unable to find me. 

Long story short, the world was in enormous chaos and villains thrive in every corner.

*Bam!*

"Ah..." 

A child bumps into me and drops a toy car.

"Oh my! Sorry young lad. My boy wasn't looking. Apologise to big brother!" A woman walks up to the child and says.

"Sorry..." The child nonchalantly says as he grabs his toy. 

When they walk ahead, the child turns back and glares at me.

Truly...disgusting.

I click my tongue again. 

It's annoying, to see such a peaceful place.

I hold back my urge to kill them, there are too many witnesses.

Now then, it's time I deal with those bastards behind with killing intent.

"Oh?! Is it you Ayato?" A teenager says from afar. With piercing on his ears and threatening tattoos around his arms, he wears an untidy black coat and white single underneath. In addition to a large physique, he has a loud voice too. A typical threatening style for a delinquent.

"Ah! It is you! What's up, long time no see. I've heard of your discharge and came to visit you."

Ever since Ayaka and I arrived here, I've spotted this guy with his friends smoking near the alley of our apartment. 

...

He scratches his black messy hair when I simply stare at him.

Behind him are three other people who surround me. The delinquent places his arm over my shoulder and mumbles "What's with the silence?"

...

Veins appear on his head when I continue to ignore him. He calms down when he realises people are watching.

"Anyways, my boss asked me to relay you this message: Come back to the academy as soon as possible, Kaito wants to show you something in regards to Hanabi!" he says.

My body twitches a little, Hanabi is a girl Ayato was friends with and was the only friend he had, Ayato has a secret crush on Hanabi. Three days before Ayato's coma from the virus, Kaito pursued Hanabi to see Ayato's despair at his crush being taken away.

This guy is Youta Kanzaki, a subordinate of the B-rank Kaito Haramashi. Kaito targeted Ayato as a bully target and made him an outcast in the academy. 

Youta clicks his tongue when I show absolutely no sign of reaction.

"Bastard, we were instructed to leave immediately. But fuck that! You piss me off, we will go to our usual spot." Youta says. He signals to his friends and they kick me from behind.

I sigh and follow Youta. The four of them are all F-rank heroes, good. They will be my training dummy for today.

We arrive at a construction site scheduled to be demolished. A poster outside stated that the project was abandoned and no trespassing is authorised.

Youta tears the poster down and burns it. So his power is fire huh...

He kicks open the locked gate with ease and drags me in. When we get to the fourth level, he pulls me and throws me against a wall. 

One of his friends is an F-Rank Silencer. He cast his powers and created a noise barrier.

I continue staring at him nonchalantly. "Bastard, look at that condescending gaze! Have you gone insane?!" Youta exclaims as fire engulfs his fist.

"Don't worry, I won't kill-" 

A gush of wind blows past his fist, carrying the flames to the face of the nearest buddy instead.

!!!??

"Argh!!!!" 

The victim grasps his burning head as he falls and rolls on the floor.

"What?!" Youta exclaims.

!!

"Green sparkling things...?" He mumbles when he glances at my hand. 

The wind gathers and swoops around us, carrying the glitters of green dust along with it.

When I sweep my right index finger down, all the wind instantly rushes into each of their body through the nostrils, ears, eyes, and mouth.

!!!!!!!

"MMPPPPGHH!!!!!" Youta grasps his throat in pain as his body convulses vigorously. Looking at his friends, the results are the same. It is successful.

They glow red and almost instantly glow purple. This means that my plague has successfully infiltrated more than 50% of their body.

I release the wind.

"HAH! ACK ACK!! HUFF...HUFF...HUFF..." Youta grasps for air as he trembles.

"Y-You...are not Ayato." Says Youta.

I smile. "There are more to come," I say.

!

"W-Wait! Let me go- ARGHHHH!!!" 

One of his friends pleaded for help but I shift my virus to attack his nerves.

"It hurts!! It hurts!!!!" He squeals in pain. 

Sharp and continuous powerful muscle aches haphazardly sprout throughout his body, that's what he is experiencing.

My victim falls unconscious with his body twitching uncontrollably. 

...

Only sweating and trembling, their demeanour from earlier turns into despair.

"N-No! Huff...I-I'm sorry..." Youta mumbles when I walk to him. Tears and mucus flow from his sickening face, cloaking his nostrils. 

"Is that all you can do?" I ask.

Youta doesn't answer my question and kept mumbling "I'm sorry".

...

This is disappointing.

20