Chapter 3 – Archdruid
130 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I opened one of the windows of my carriage to look outside. 

Our escorts and their horses trotted into the city on stone roads. The city guards stood to the side respectfully and stiffly. 

I looked up at the sign we passed under. 

‘Northtown.’

That was the name of this place, a name that came from a time when this small city was much smaller. 

Many heads were turned as our carriages entered, dozens of citizens staring at our escort that was equipped with luxury well beyond the city’s lord. 

Everyone made way as we headed to the city center. 

I looked around at my new territory as we passed by buildings and curious citizens. 

Most houses were made of brick and mortar and stone. All the buildings got progressively nicer toward the center of the city, which was natural. Weird enough though, this city didn’t have a wall. 

Toward the east side of the city was a major river. To the north were mountain ranges.

There weren’t many farmers or farmland nearby. Those food growing centers usually became the foundation of villages, and this city was close to several that it received food from. 

Other than growing food though, this city had no major specialties. 

Production was minimal in all areas. It was only enough for citizens to get by and for the city to pay taxes. The person running this city simply didn’t have the skilled labor necessary to prosper in any significant capacity. 

It was a normal small city. 

Still, I was curious as to how the current lord of the city would react. After all, he was basically being kicked out. 

Not that I didn’t have my own plans for him. 

Thankfully, I was able to satisfy my curiosity soon. 

In the city center, besides the large City Hall, there was a notable manor. It was here that we stopped. 

“Ugh, those are not fun rides.”

I grunted while climbing out of my carriage. The comfort level of transportation needed plenty of work, even with the luxurious inserts of a Duke’s carriage. 

Grace smiled at me before we both took up positions at the front of the escort. There, we saw the gates of the manor. 

The only person in this city with a manor was the city lord. 

And he was already there to greet us. 

This world seemed to have its own seasons, and currently, we were in the spring season. It was cool yet humid, yet the city lord who seemed to have been standing there for a while was sweating. 

I had researched this man prior to coming. 

“Baron Hviral, thank you for greeting us.”

“Of course, Lord Audius, Lady Grace.”

Baron Hviral. He used to be a knight, and through great merits in a war not long ago, he was granted the title of Baron. 

The man was tall and built like a wall. You could tell he wasn’t the strong knight of his prime, but he still retained his strength through constant training. Even now there was a sword on his waist, no doubt a habit of his. 

Baron Hviral also had a wife and four children. All four children were presented in their best attire. Three boys and one girl.

The oldest was 25 years old, older than even me. Then, each child was two or three years younger, the youngest being an 18 year old girl, same as Grace. 

The boys didn’t seem to be happy in my presence. While their father bowed toward Grace and I, they weren’t quite so giving. The oldest looked at me like he was going to kill me, while the other two looked at Grace with slight infatuation. 

I could understand why they weren’t happy. I wasnt just taking their father’s position, but they were no longer in the position to inherit the city when the father handed it down. I was taking everything from their family, all on the whim of my father. 

An insurmountable difference in status. 

I felt a bit bad, but I wasn’t one to give much of a damn about guilt. I’ve killed people for lesser advantages. This wasn’t much. 

But I was still different from back then, and I would be more than a proper lord. 

After the Baron greeted me by bowing, I glanced up toward the sun. It was past noon, and in a few hours the sun would be setting. 

I smiled toward the Baron. 

“Baron Hviral, why don’t we head inside? There are many things we should discuss.”

“Of course, Lord Audius. Please, follow me.”

With that, Grace and I walked with the Baron and his family. They led us into the manor while the knights of our escort sorted their affairs. There were only two people who followed us: My father’s administrator and the head knight of the escort. 

“Does the Young Lord wish to eat? We can have a meal prepared if you’re hungry from your travels.”

The Baron’s wife offered with a sweet smile as we walked into the manor. I shook my head while observing the impeccably clean entry hall. I could also pick up on the scent of recently cleaned floors

“No, thank you. In fact, I would like to directly discuss a private matter with the Baron. If you have a study, we should head there.”

I turned my head to the man, and his surprise and anxiousness were apparent. Though, even Grace glanced at me in confusion, so I guess this was a bit of a wildcard for everyone. 

Still, the Baron quickly acquiesced. 

“Of course, Young Lord.”

“Thanks. Grace, if you could come with us.”

I brought my sister as the Baron led with proper etiquette. After entering another portion of the manor, we entered the small study. On the desk were neatly stacked papers and some quill pens. 

Other than that, there was only a single bookshelf that was half full. This Baron obviously didn’t have the vast wealth necessary to procure many books. 

“I hope you don’t mind how minimal this humble study is.”

“It’s no matter.”

I shrugged while the Baron closed the door behind us. I had left the administrator behind on purpose, though I guess it didn’t matter too much anyway. 

The Baron stood before us, while Grace waited for what I wanted to say. After taking in the truly humble surroundings, I looked the Baron in the eye. 

“I’ll speak bluntly, Baron Hviral.”

“...”

Those words made the Baron even more anxious than before. He probably thought I was going to evict him today and basically usurp the city. And I could if I wanted to. 

But I wasn’t. 

“I don’t plan on completely removing you from your position. I will admit that I feel a bit guilty about taking this city simply because my father wanted me out of his house. But disregarding that, I still plan on having you hold a leadership position. You know this city far better than I do, and I need someone who can help me with managing all the local affairs of this place. You are the perfect candidate. What do you think about acting as my assistant? I can ensure that you won’t be living any differently than you already are, besides a few changes to your work schedule.”

“I…”

The Baron opened his mouth, but no words came out. 

I could see his surprise, but that quickly turned to relief. His anxiousness began to fade before he bowed. 

“I will gladly follow you, Lord Audius Fawkes.”

“Thank you. You won’t regret your decision. For the next few days, I plan to rest and decide on my plan of action from here on out. I’ll also have to trouble you for hospitality.”

“That’s no problem, Young Lord. We have already prepared your rooms.”

Baron Hviral couldn’t help the smile on his face. The happiness over the situation was definitely great. 

I smiled as well. 

“Good. Now, if you could give my sister and I a minute to discuss some matters. And you can go inform your family of the new arrangements. I’m sure they’re anxiously waiting outside.”

“Haha, of course. I take my leave.”

The Baron left quietly, leaving Grace and I alone. 

She looked at me once the door closed. 

“You’ve changed.”

“How so?”

I glanced back at her with a smile. Perhaps she found it funny, because she smirked back. 

“I’ve never seen you talk like this. Even during our travels, you were more curious and asking all kinds of questions. It’s not a bad thing, but answer me truthfully.”

Her eyes became serious as her tone fell. 

“Did you really awaken?”

“...I did.”

I answered suspensefully. Grace bit her lip as her head fell.

“...Maybe our father suspected this and sent you here. I think… he knows I did too.”

“He does?”

I asked surprisedly, but from all my memories, I was also able to quickly speculate. 

Grace Fawkes. 

The reason we were so close was because, several years ago during our teenage years, Grace had gone through an awakening. 

She was a Sorcerer, and by happenstance, I was the only one to witness her awakening. 

But I had kept her secret instead of ratting her out, and since then, she had stuck with me. We grew closer and closer, becoming inseparable. 

Through all the noble gatherings, through all the tea parties, and through the myriads of events our father brought us to, we weathered all the ridicule from the other noble children. 

We were the bottom of the barrel, far lesser than our three older siblings who were fighting to become the best. 

As they were building networks and forming influential alliances during a fancy ball, Grace and I were in the corner talking about food. While they worked with famous craftsmen and military leaders, we were focusing on our studies. 

I stuck with Grace because she stuck with me. Through time, we formed a deep bond. 

And we managed to keep Grace’s secret hidden from the family. 

Or, at least we thought we did. 

Grace frowned. 

“When I went to father’s study and spoke with him, he said that he also planned on sending me with you. I hadn’t even asked him yet. It makes me think that he’s trying to hide us… After all, if that mysterious incident that night leaked in any way, it would attract the Order. They would come and investigate you. And if they saw either of us, we could be executed.”

“That’s true…”

I pondered on her words. 

The Order. 

More formally called the Order of Terra, they were one of the world’s three main religious groups. They were very prevalent in the Verlenium Empire, and they were most known for their hatred of the Sorcerers. 

They likened them to the devil, but this world’s devil was imagined as a celestial being from the deep abyss of space and nothingness, one that sought to infect the bright world with filthy darkness. 

But this wasn’t just some made up fantasy created by an ancient caveman who got high on some mushrooms. 

There was a legend surrounding the Devil of the Abyss, and the legend left a mark on the world, one whose effects could be seen to this day. 

It was a place I’d have to visit someday, as it was a part of the supernatural phenomena that no doubt related to the Sorcerers themselves. 

Anyway…

The Order was something we’d have to watch out for. They executed any and all sorcerers they got their hands on. Their influence could even rival the Emperor, and he let them do as they pleased. 

If our father really did know about Grace, and considering I was mysteriously wounded and ended up charring half my bed in a night’s fit…

Perhaps I was the last straw, and as a way to save us and escape investigation, he sent us away. 

If that was the case, then he was even more caring for us than I knew. 

Grace and I looked into each other’s eyes. We seemed to come to an understanding. 

Our father was a good man. 

And we needed to lay low. 

Now we were on the same page. 

……

Duke Fawkes stood in the courtyard of his manor. 

His sharp gaze, as well as the gazes of a dozen guards to each of his sides, were all focused on the oncoming party. 

They wove white flags embroidered with gold and verdant green. 

At the front was a squad of cavalry, the horseriders wearing thick armor and carrying longswords. 

And behind them was a majestic carriage, one that beat out the Duke’s carriage. 

This entourage clacked up to the gate, after which the carriage stopped and opened. 

Three people were let out, and under an armed escort, they approached the Duke. 

The two parties stood 3 meters away from each other. The soldiers all seemed ready to battle at any moment, and the Duke’s men surely didn’t lose out to the paladins. 

“It is a pleasure to finally meet the Gilded General himself. Duke Fawkes, thank you for meeting me on such short notice.”

“It’s of no consequence, Archdruid Revan. Though, I’m surprised that you yourself have made your way here. I know you’re a busy man.”

The Duke’s gaze was neutral, not showing any hospitality nor hostility. It was clear he wasn’t going to invite the Archdruid into his home. 

Archdruid Revan smiled. He was dressed in luxurious robes and had long navy blue hair that fell down to his shoulder blades. But his face was cunning, much unlike the husky Duke and his sharp beard. 

“I am indeed busy, but I decided that I could take a trip this time. I enjoy travel every now and then. Still, I don’t come here for festivities. Duke Fawkes, you must know why I’m here.”

The Archdruid’s eyes narrowed, yet the Duke kept his straight gaze. 

“I do. You suspect that my child has awakened as a Sorcerer.”

“Do you deny that he has?”

“Of course.”

“Be careful, Duke Fawkes.”

The Archdruid’s tone fell, and his paladins straightened their backs. 

“Nobody is safe from the abyssal curse. Not even the Imperial children can escape the fiends that infect their hearts.”

“Well then, let’s look at the facts, Archdruid.”

This time, it was the Duke who lowered his tone. His guards became no less imposing than the paladins. 

“My son, Audius Fawkes, is a man. We both know that male sorcerers are nonexistent, mere rumors and stories. Now, I realize that someone amidst my household seems to think that they are allowed to spread information without my approval. I will deal with that matter later, but right now, you must decide whether or not it’s worth it to pursue this matter over a groundless rumor. Because Sorcerer or not, the Order is not permitted to encroach on my territories as they please.”

“Hmm…”

Archdruid Revan hummed while gazing at the threatening guards beside the Duke. 

The Gilded General. 

It was a title earned after Fawkes received just about every merit in the book. The highest honors of Valor were given to him, and he was responsible for leading the strongest regiment of knights the Verleinium Empire had ever seen. 

Of course, that was several decades ago. He had long since faded from his shining glory, but that didn’t mean he was any less of a lion than he used to be. 

And the soldiers around him were seasoned warriors, nothing less than the best who had earned their place amongst fields of corpses. They even wore their weathered armor, displaying their ability through the scars of battle. That said more than the pure armor of the paladins who now looked like mere decorations.

In the end, the Archdruid took a step back. 

“I understand, Duke Fawkes. I apologize. However, I’d at least like to know. Where is your son?”

“Gone.”

“Can you elaborate?”

The Archdruid’s brow raised, and the Duke turned his back. 

“My son seems to think that he no longer needs me, so he’s left without warning, off to another place that I don’t know.”

“Oh? One might think that he’s escaping.”

“He only left after healing, but I suppose if that’s the case, then perhaps my daughter has escaped as well. Those two have always been close and left together. But you must know about the fierce competition for the position of the Fawkes Heir. Those two are far behind, and I’m sure they are also full of ambition like their siblings.”

“Perhaps…”

The Archdruid has a small smile as he watched the Duke walk back toward his manor. 

The Duke waved. 

“Please, see yourself out. I have much work to handle.”

“...”

The Archdruid watched until the Duke’s guard approached, intending to escort their ‘guests’ out. 

Like that, they retreated, having gained nothing. 

6