Chapter 006
31 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two days had passed since Dr. Doom's dramatic declaration live on TV. Peter had been trying to get in touch with his daughter ever since.

But for some reason, the call would just never connect.

He was of half a mind to head on over to the city and meet her in person, but his wife's failing health kept him by her side.

"Last Sunday, Dr. Victor Von Doom shocked the world, as he hired the Avengers for an oncoming threat from the Celestial named Galactus. Mission Reports from Earth's allies from minutes before they were decimated have corroborated his claims.

"But that is not all, mass panic and protests have sprouted throughout the world as a direct consequence of that claim.

"Protesters agree with Von Doom's claims that the avengers were ignoring clear signs as Earth kept ignoring the signs as our allies were slowly extinguished by the Devourer of Worlds. The Panic and fear have spread so far and wide that a few government facilities collapsed within a day of the announcement, just in the US alone.

"Prison breaks have caused a drastic increase in crimes throughout the cities, and many heroes affiliated with the Avengers have started working alongside the police to curb protests and bring in escapees from prisons.

"One such prison that has seemingly collapsed in New York's Rikers, where escapees used boats, and helicopters stolen from the on-site police to cross into the state. Some even chose to swim across the Hudson and into Manhattan, while most –" Peter cut the television off, as he tossed the phone onto the sofa.

"Is it still not connecting?" Mary Jane asked her husband, as she watched him take a seat on the couch.

"No, it is connecting, but she isn't answering. She must be busy." Peter sighed, as he ran his hands through his grey hair.

Mary-Jane hummed and suggested "Why don't we head on out back to Manhattan then? We can take the car."

Peter shook his head and replied "It will be a nightmare getting out of there again, We all know Galactus will first appear over Manhattan anyway. I don't want to take that risk."

MJ smiled at her husband and said "Pete, you can just say that you're worried about my health. Trust me I can handle a little travel. I am a strong girl, you know."

Peter chuckled as held his wife's hand and replied "You got me. I know you can take the stress, you've been by my side for so damn long, you're the strongest person there ever could be. It's just, New York…. I have ….."

MJ squeezed her husband's hand firmly "Hey, it's all right. May could just be trying to reach out to us anyway."

It was then Peter felt a sensation he hadn't felt in over a decade.

His spider-sense that had laid dormant for so long, blared alive giving him a massive headache, and he strained to work his locked old muscles, as leaped into action.

He tackled forward, crossing the table that separated him from his wife, and wrapped his arms around, flipping the table in the process, just as the wall behind him exploded.

He protected MJ from flying rocks, splinters of wood, and debris using his entire body, taking much of the brunt himself.

A low familiar mechanical buzzing was the first thing he heard, as he looked down at his wife in his arms. Blood flowed out of a small cut on her forehead, but she was fine overall.

"Peter Parker." A raspy voice sounded throughout the house, as a fire slowly started spreading through the curtains "Old, yet still just as agile. Pathetic."

Looking down into his wife's widened fear-filled eyes, his heart clenched as his life Parker luck reared its head again.

It had been docile for a decade, he thought he should have expected something to go wrong, especially when the end of the world was near.

Turning around, he turned to face his adversary and was shocked at the sight.

"Norman" He breathed as he watched his oldest adversary float on his glider in front of him.

His mask was discarded, which showed his old wrinkled face.

The trail of smoke emitting from the glider, and the fire that had crawled up the curtains made him look like a green devil.

"Twenty-Five years." The Green goblin chuckled humorlessly "For twenty-five years, I've rotten away in prison. Mourning my son. The same son you killed."

Peter stood straight, as he prepared himself for an attack, still shielding his downed and bleeding wife.

"I didn't kill him Norman," Peter replied as he tried to manoeuvre MJ out of the room behind him.

  "LIES!" Norman Osborn shouted as he fired a volley of bullets toward the couple.

Using quick thinking Peter kicked the marble table that he had flipped initially to save MJ from the explosion and used it as a shield from the Bullets.

He immediately grabbed MJ and went further inside the house toward the open kitchenette, and crouched behind the low wall separating them and the goblin.

"There is a spare canister of web fluid in the cupboard just above. If you can get it,…." MJ whispered her voice trembling slightly, as her heart started running a mile a minute.

Peter nodded and grabbed a couple of plates from beside them. Using them as projectiles, he distracted Norman as they plates him square in the head.

Grabbing the web fluid from the overhead cupboard, he immediately ducked as his Spider-sense blared to life and Norman began firing bullets into the kitchenette.

"You think hiding behind a kitchen counter will save you from me!" The Green Goblin laughed, as he pressed a green button on a bomb.

Peter quickly inserted the web fluid in his web-shooters and looked at his wife who smiled a trembling smile at him.

"Go get him, Tiger."

Nodding at her, Peter heard the very familiar click of the green goblin's bomb and leaped into action.

Webbing the oncoming bomb he redirected it out of the window of the house.

"Still the same pesky little insect as usual I see." The Green Goblin commented.

"What can I say Norman, old habits die hard I guess. Clearly, you know a thing or two about that!" Peter replied as he charged at the green goblin who smirked at him. Blades erupted forth from his glider as he powered on forward as well.

Peter strained his old muscles as he performed a flip to kick Norman in the face, as he expertly dodge the oncoming blades. The kick connected with the green goblin and sent him hurtling off his glider, and out through a window.

Yet, the injured goblin had a trick up his sleeve, as the glider started firing a missile into the home that Peter webbed to prevent it from exploding, yet it still managed to knock off a chandelier and the cutlery in the kitchen.

Blood sprouted from the kitchen, followed by a loud scream.

"MARY JANE!" Peter screamed as he dashed toward the kitchenette again, just then, the glider manoeuvred like a bat and head straight toward Peter.

Spider-Sense blaring again, Peter struggled to jump and was able to dodge the oh-so-familiar move from the Goblin, but the blades managed to open a wide gash on the side of Peter's thigh.

"HAHAHAHAHA! Not as agile as before, Old Timer!" The Goblin laughed as he blew another hole in the wall. "I know how to make this more fun. I killed someone you loved so very long ago. Gwen, back on that bridge. I suffered for it. Yet you took my son from me. I think a little payback was due. Now, old timer! I will go for your daughter. And break her like I did your wife. SO LONG SPIDER-MAN!"

The green goblin laughed as he flew away in the direction of New York City, but Peter couldn't care less at the moment. He gently lifted the bleeding form of his wife and webbed the stab wound to prevent it from bleeding more.

"Stay with me MJ, Stay with me. I am going to get you to a hospital." He chanted as he rushed to his garage.

"P-Peter." She whispered, through tears.

"Just hold on MJ! God! Just hold on!" Peter said as he placed the bleeding form of his wife in the back of his car.

Quickly getting in, ignoring his own wide gash on the thigh, Peter turned on the ignition and sped off toward the nearest Hospital.

He hoped beyond all hope that Mary Jane would survive, his heart clenching as he raced through the empty roads.

2