Chapter 013
26 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I've taken care of it, she's being airlifted out of Crotonville and will be here in our facility by sundown. I think, it's better if we bring her here, so we can monitor her better, and give her better care. May, Natalie, and I will look after her." Riri said to her girlfriend's father, who was looking better rested than earlier that morning when they had arrived at the Avengers mansion.

Jason was resting in his room, where he had decided it would be worth it to brush up on recent history using the internet. He also wanted to catch up on a small nap.

"I-I suppose, if MJ is being moved here, I will stay on." Peter sighed, and took a sip from his coffee. The bitter taste did nothing to lift his spirits, but the caffeine was something he had built a habit to rely on when he was stressed and MJ wasn't around to help him work it out. "Thank you, Riri. Though I wish you'd taken a small rest too, the dark circles are visible under your eyes."

Riri smiled bitterly, ever since Nadja, her best friend slash emotional therapist from high school died, she had become something of an insomniac. Her work as Iron Heart had become something of an excuse to not sleep, but ever since she'd begun dating May, the habit was waning away. Though, it had reared with a vengeance lately, ever since the news of Galactus' coming had reached Earth. "May said something quite similar, but I find sleeping incredibly boring. Either way, we have a meeting this afternoon with the dignitaries from the alien refugees. I was hoping you would attend the meeting, Steve would appreciate it. He feels alone, being the last of the old guard. A familiar face will help him, and us as well."

Before Peter could reply, a third voice commented "She's right, Pete. Steve would be delighted to have you working with us once again."

Peter craned his head toward the voice and saw the tall form of his old student Miles standing in the doorway. He was wearing a standard military officer uniform, the medals shone brightly on his chest. His years of service, both as an avenger and as Spider-Man had worked significantly towards helping him build a good career as a Marine liaison from the Avengers. He couldn't stop the smile that bloomed on his face, upon seeing him again, and he rushed to envelop him in a hug, who chuckled accepting the warm gesture.

"Miles!" He said releasing him from the hug "It's been so long since we met, how is Phin?"

"She's fine, Pete. She just graduated from MIT and misses her uncle Pete a lot. You should come over for dinner. Cassie and I will cook turkey tonight." He said as they walked back to Riri who was watching them with a smile.

"I-uh, I'll think about it, though maybe after this whole Galactus thing is behind us," Peter replied.

"You'll be at the conference, won't you? What Riri said, she is right. We could do with someone from the old guard helping us out." Miles asked.

"Yeah, I'll be there. Well, as long as I am not needed by my family at any rate." Peter replied.

"This include the kid that's sleeping upstairs in the room beside yours? I read the debrief before coming here, your life is still just the same isn't it?" Miles asked pointedly.

"Yeah, him too. The least I can do is look out for him, in whatever it is that he wants to do. I don't know if he will take me as a dad, or May as a sister, I am pretty sure he won't, he's gotta be confused if anything. But, I will be there for him." Peter replied.

"Never change Peter, you're a good man. Call me if you need help, with anything. Okay?" Miles said, "I need to overlook the relocation of the alien refugees, I'll talk to you later then."

Saying that Miles took his leave.

"I am glad that you're staying for the conference. Let me get you up to speed with the whole situation." Riri smiled at Peter, who nodded.

******

Jason woke up in a few hours, well-rested and refreshed. He had dreamt peacefully, a first in a long time. His last peaceful dream had been before his long undercover assignment in Russia had begun. The room he was given was comfortable enough to help him doze off into blissful sleep without any issues. The bed was softer than anything he had slept in yet, the white linen-lined sheets were comfortable and provided him the warmth that could easily be associated with home for him. He was adjusting to life in this new world quicker than he had anticipated.

Stretching himself on the bed, he looked out of the window to his right, at the river outside the mansion, and the trees beyond. The Manhattan skyline was visible more clearly than what it had been that morning when he had arrived. The mist from the morning dew, and the waterfall had waned significantly, and the noon sun illuminated the skyline almost majestically.

He had spent a few early hours after his check-up, pondering over the results of the telepathic treatment he had undergone. He had thanked his luck then, but the fear that a power he did not yet know had meddled to protect his mind did not help ease his fears. He had elected to distract himself then by gathering information, as he was wont to do during any of his nerve-wracking assignments.

He had used all possible resources that were available to him. Using the computer provided to him by Natalie, he had managed to gather information rather easily.

The Avengers were facing a threat, in the order of magnitude he hadn't ever deemed possible. Galactus, a celestial responsible for the destruction of a significant portion of the universe to quench his unquenchable hunger. Upon searching for the keywords 'Reed Richards' and 'The Fantastic Four' he had found that both Reed and his wife were dead, having died recently in space. There were protests in the streets, people were accusing the Avengers of being non-transparent with the information they were provided with. He wondered whether Reed's death meant that the Ultimate Nullifier was lost too, but he dared not search on an untrusted network like here in the Avengers tower. Natalie, their AI, had access to everything he searched, or so he assumed, and he did not want to explain how he knew of a weapon so powerful that it could scare Galactus of all people.

What was interesting was that there were Alien refugees on Earth, and there was to be a meeting in the very compound he was residing in, to determine the Avenger's plan of action. It was not going to be televised, unlike many other Avengers conferences, but Jason didn't mean for that to hinder him from at least eavesdropping on it. He did not want to be left out of the loop, especially given that the issue they were going to discuss was going to potentially discuss a matter that could potentially be apocalyptic in nature, should Galactus go unhindered. He had no desire to die so early, having reincarnated only recently, at least without doing whatever it is that he could do to help out.

Getting freshened up, and dressed in a clean set of clothes he found ready for him in the cupboard, he went down and out for a jog. It was around noon, and the sun was high in the sky, glaring at the earth below.

It was on his third lap of the compound grounds when he spotted someone watching him quietly in the shade of a small tree by the river. He could make out clear blue skin covering, and fiery red hair. They were dressed in a light brown jacket and green jeans. The color seemed to have worked well in camouflaging themselves with their surroundings.

When he approached the silent observer, they said "Isn't it a little late to be jogging?"

"Oh, yeah it is. I would have loved to jog in the morning. But, uhmm, I was a little preoccupied then, so I thought that now was a good time as any." He replied. "I am Jason, by the way. Jason Elessar."

The woman scrutinized Jason for a while, looking for something. Jason did not know whether she found it, but before she could reply, a tiny yet gravelly voice sounded right beside his ear.

"I am Groot!"

On his shoulder, was a small wooden creature, it had two small legs, two hands, and a face all made of wood. A type of wood, he did not recognize. But, the creature was easily identifiable to him.

'Groot! Does that mean the Guardians are here too?' He thought, surprised at the little guy's presence.

"That's the first time Groot has willingly interacted with anyone…." The person said, perplexed. Whatever judgment they had for him before was clearly forgotten. "I am Nikki. Nikki Rel-Quill." She introduced herself.

2