{Arc 01.09}[ 009 ] Training with Ondine
449 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Early next morning, Ondine walked out of the house. She closed her eyes and sighed deeply. She breathed the cool air and opened her eyes to the beautiful morning sunlight. Then she heard the sound of swings coming nearby. Walking over to the location from which the noise originated from, she saw Lakshman with the sword.

Lakshman was swinging the sword at his daily training. It was a training he had begun back when he was seven years old. At that time, he was only capable of swinging twenty times. Now, with his improved strength and stamina, he could go up to a hundred times or more.

Ondine was surprised to see him up so early in the morning. She had thought of him as someone who was slack and a lazy person. However, she did not forget about their fight from yesterday when she attacked him. He parried her sword easily each time. That was before she became his slave.

Her eyes suddenly became downcast. Then she realised and quickly shook her head to throw off the feeling. It was unpleasant.

“Crying over spilled water won’t bring it back,” She thoguht as she walked over to Lakshman. “Good morning, master,” Ondine said.

“Ah, a very good morning to you, Ondine,” Lakshman said, brightly and stopped swinging his sword.

He turned to her and smiled. Taking notice of his full figure, she clearly saw the serious training, he underwent each and every single day. This was a training that has been done for more than a few years.

“Have you always been training like this?” she asked out of curiosity.

“I wouldn’t say ‘always’ but I did start my training even since I was seven years old,” he replied.

“What?!” she said in shock. “When you’re only seven? Are you an idiot?!” “What!” he said, surprised by her reaction. “What’s the matter?”

“’What’s the matter’ you say. No human in their right mind would start their training at the age of seven!” she said incredulously. “Humans usually end up with muscle degeneration or something similar when they get older.”

Lakshman stared at her in silence for a few seconds. Then he smiled and said “I have no idea what you just said, but it sounds as though it’s bad to train early.”

Ondine placed her hand on her forehead and sighed. Just then, Indra walked out of the house. He shivered from the cold air outside. Then he turned and saw his son and Ondine talking.

“What’s up?” he asked as he approached them.

“Ah, dad,” Lakshman said when he saw his father. “Ondine, here, was just telling me about how bad it is to start training at the age of seven.”

Indra smiled as he turned to face Ondine. She removed her hand off her forehead and gave him an exasperated expression.

“Normally, that would be the case,” Indra said. “However, we completely ignored it in Lucky’s case.”

“Lucky?” Ondine asked, looking puzzled. “Who’s that?”

“That’s our son,” Indra said in a matter of fact tone. “That’s what we call Lakshman for short.”

“Seriously?” Ondine said in disbelief with wide eyes.

“It’s not surprising after all the things he’s been through,” Indra said. “Luck just seems to love him!”

Laughing, he walked away and picked up his sword before beginning his morning training session. Ondine turned and watched Lakshman as he continued his training. She could not believe Lakshman was this strong for his age. As far as she knew about human biology, she understood that most of them weren’t as strong as Lakshman at his age.

“Don’t think about it too much,” Indra said with a smile. “Don’t question logic at this time, but with Lucky, logic doesn’t even get counted. He’s a wanted man by the laws of nature.”

“I’m just lucky,” Lakshman said, grinning broadly at what his father said.

Ondine gave up. She couldn’t make sense out of any of this. Instead, she began her own training. She carried two swords slung on either side of her waist. She would hold the swords and start swinging. First she would swing down one sword. Then lift it as she swung down with her other sword. She continued this process over and over.

“Let’s take a break!” Indra said and they stopped their swinging of their swords.

Indra said “Phew” and removed his pelt and placed it at the doorstep. They will reconvene their training as soon as they have caught their breath. This was a short break they take between their training sessions. Indra had told them it was not advisable to do training continuously. Otherwise, you would tire your muscles very quickly.

“So, Ondine,” Indra said. “Judging from your two swords, you are a North Weapon Style swordswoman?”

“That’s right,” she said and nodded in consent.

“North Weapon Style?” Lakshman asked with a puzzled expression on his face. “What’s that, dad?”

“I guess I haven’t told you yet,” Indra said, sounding surprised. “The North Weapon Style is one of the Weapon Styles around the world. Weapon Style is how you handle your weapon and skills. For instance; if you are a North Weapon Style user, you can dual wield and has more accurate thrusts. In a sense, it’s the balanced Weapon Style but it puts heavy strain on your stamina.”

“Really?” Lakshman asked, sounding amazed. He turned and asked Ondine “If it puts such a strain on your stamina, why are you using it?”

“I find it uncomfortable to wield only one sword in battle,” she said. “With one sword, I am left with being wide open after a swing with one sword. So, I switched to using the North Weapon Style. Besides,” and she smiled slightly, “if you have a problem with something, work it out.”

“I see,” Indra said, nodding in understanding. “It makes sense to work on your stamina.” “What Weapon Style do you use dad?” Lakshman asked.

“Water Weapon Style,” he said.

“What’s Water Weapon Style, dad?” Lakshman asked. “Is it similar to the North Weapon Style?”

“Actually, it’s very different from the North Weapon Style,” Indra said. “Water Weapon Style cannot be dual wielded. That is because the sword you wield is something like a claymore, a bastard or a broadsword. It’s preferable to use it with heavily armoured and good at crushing swings and crushing defences.”

“Ah, that’s right,” Lakshman said, suddenly remembering something. “I think I saw you wearing heavily armoured equipment when you return from your missions.”

“That’s right,” Indra nodded.

“Doesn’t that lower your speed considerably?” Ondine asked. “I mean, wearing such heavily armoured equipment and fighting with only one sword?”

“Yes,” Indra said and nodded at her. “Because of wearing such armour, my speed is considerably decreased. However, I more than make up for it with sheer strength. Besides, you can equip a shield anytime you want if you feel off-guard from just one swing.”

“I see,” Lakshman said, nodding as he understood. “This way, both your defence and attack are balanced out even though your speed is reduced.”

“I don’t like how you shortcut the explanation… but that’s right,” Indra said, somewhat irritably.

“I didn’t like the idea of using a defensive strategy like that,” Ondine said. “I felt restricted carrying a shield around making me slow.”

“Understandable argument,” Indra said with a nod, “however, when you face strong opponents that are above the Advanced rank, having strong defence is advantageous.”

“If that is the case, you’d simply become stronger to face such opponents,” Ondine said, sounding annoyed.

Indra looked at her and asked “What rank are you currently?”

“I’m Intermediate North Weapon Style,” she said. “Is that a problem?” “Intermediate?!” he said in surprise.

“What?” she asked and narrowed her eyes. “You thought I was a Beginner?”

“Not exactly, but… from your strong comments, I expected you to be a higher rank,” Indra said.

“I’m not boasting or anything,” Ondine said. “However, I will stand by what I said just now.”

”Ok, but what if becoming strong isn’t enough?” Indra said, equally annoyed. “What‘ll you do then?”

“I don’t know! I guess I’ll lose,” she said, this time sounding angry.

“Rubbish!” Indra angrily retorted. “There is no winner or loser in real battles. It’s all about life and death!”

“Then, I guess I’ll die!” Ondine shouted, finally her anger gave way. “Words of a coward!” Indra shouted, firing up.

They continued to argue about their Weapon Styles and their applications in real life battles. Lakshman could only watch them argue. He tried to intervene but his voice was drowned by their loud shouts.

After a few minutes, Lakshmi came out of the house and shouted at them “Will you be quiet! You’re going to wake up the neighbourhood!”

Instantly, like being hit by a bolt of lightning, they stopped arguing. They looked at Lakshmi, who had her dishevelled hair and wearing a nightgown and an annoyed expression on her face. It looked like their overly arguing shouts and ruined her peaceful sleep.

“Honestly!” she said and walked back into the house. “Behaving like three year olds, seriously!”

Indra watched his wife go into the house and turned around. Lakshman and Ondine saw him wearing a troubled expression on his face. It looked like upsetting his wife, especially waking her up from a good night’s sleep, really troubled him.

“Damn,” he muttered he looked sad.

Then he turned to Ondine and said “Let me get this straight, Ondine. Everyone has their personal opinions of what is the right choice. Ok? So, let’s not argue about this any further.”

“Ah...! Sure! I understand,” Ondine said, looking a bit surprised at him. “Thank you,” he said.

Indra rose to his feet and said “You two continue your training. I’ll go visit my wife to… chill things up.”

“Oh…! Sure!” Lakshman and Ondine said together.

Nodding, he walked into the house. Looking at each other uncertainly, they returned to the training. Half an hour later, they finished their training and walked back inside the house.

The first thing they saw was Indra sitting next to Lakshmi at the dining table. They were happily talking together. Both Lakshman and Ondine were relieved to see this happy scene.

For breakfast, everyone ate the usual, everyone except Ondine. She simply drank large quantities of water. She even praised how delicious the water was.

“Don’t you eat… um… food?” Lakshman asked curiously.

“We, water spirits, don’t necessarily require the food like you humans do,” she said proudly. “We live off the water, which is much better than killing live animal and eating it, like you humans do.”

“Can’t say I can argue on that,” Indra commented.

After finishing off their breakfast, Lakshman went to study his usual subjects with Mariana. He has made great progress in learning the maths, science and history, although, he complained that history was boring. Meanwhile Ondine was going around the house and looking at things. It fascinated her to see how the humans lived and their regular needs.

For lunch, Ondine was about to have water. Lakshman thought to see if this water spirit slave of his could eat their food. He first requested her to try out some, but she refused. He tried convincing her but to avail. Finally, running out of all options, he decided to order her to eat the food.

“Ondine, I order you eat this food!”

“What?!” she exclaimed in horror. “You can’t do this!”

“Oh, yes I can!” he said with a grin on his face. “You are my Slave Spirit.”

As she looked frustrated, Indra added “He’s right. As a Slave Spirit, you have to do what he tells you to do.”

“Very… well…” she said, looking as if she was about to run out of here at any moment.

“Oh, stop that,” Lakshman said, looking uncomfortable. “I just want you to taste the food. What’s wrong with that?”

“Eating food made from natural things like plants and animals is wrong,” she muttered but nobody heard her.

Lakshman held a spoon to her saying “Ah~”

Ondine stared at the spoon of food anxiously. Then she opened her mouth and closed it on the spoon. For a moment she munched the food in distaste when, suddenly, her eyes widened in surprise. Then she swallowed and made a smile while her face had a surprised expression.

“How was it?” Lakshman asked, although he got his answer just by looking at her facial expression.

“It’s… good! But… what is this?” she asked, staring at the food.

“It’s called a vegetable curry, more precisely called the Spinach Curry,” Lakshmi answered. “Very healthy to eat and tastes good, according to everyone here.”

“Do we have to say it every time?” Indra asked.

“Mum, your cooking skills are superb!” Lakshman exclaimed, grinning broadly at his mother.

“Mistress, I have changed my cooking and taste thanks to your encouragement,” Mariana, their maid, commented.

“Spinach Curry? Do you think you can teach me that, Mrs. Reddy?” Sumara asked.

Everyone at the table praised Lakshmi and she placed a hand on her cheek and smiled sweetly at them.

“Thank you everyone!”

After lunch, Lakshman had training with Sumara in magic. Now he is Advanced rank at water magic spells. Ondine watched them at their magic training while she idly sat at the back of the house. She felt bored and watching Lakshman performing magic with such concentration and accuracy, she felt a little empty.

“Hmm…”

Lakshman halted his training and looked over at Ondine. She sat idly and was poking the ground with a stick. Watching her sitting idly gave him a sense of foreboding. Ever since she became his Slave Spirit, she hadn’t asked him for anything. Now he wondered if she wanted to learn magic.

He turned to Sumara and asked “Could it be possible for Ondine to learn magic with us?”

Sumara widened her eyes in surprise. After a moment’s pause, she said “It’s possible, but… I don’t think she would want to be trained by someone like me.”

“What do you mean, Miss Sumara?”

“I’m a demon and she’s a water spirit. Naturally, we don’t get along, even after the war ended eight-thousand years ago. Old grudges are very hard to let go.”

“That’s silly,” Lakshman said, but Sumara shook her head.

“It may look silly to you, Lucky, but it concerns an entire race. Scars of deep hatred are hard to forget as easily as if nothing had happened.”

“I see…”

Lakshman had a troubled expression on his face. He wanted to work together with Ondine, but it seems the grudges of the past have not died out yet. Even so, he wanted to change matters. Lakshman didn’t care about the history much.

“Miss Sumara, if I can get her to train with you, will you train her with me?” Lakshman asked.

Sumara made a surprised expression and said “I… Well… If she wants to, I can set aside our differences and work together.”

“Good!” Lakshman said and clapped his hands together. “I’ll be right back.”

With that, he ran over to Ondine. Ondine looked up when he reached her and she wore a puzzled expression on her face. Catching his breath, he asked her if she wants to learn magic with them. She made a surprised expression on her face and it clearly told Lakshman what she was thinking.

“I… I would like to, but…” and she looked at Sumara.

“You don’t want to train with Sumara, a member of the demon race, right?” Lakshman asked.

“Well… yes…” Ondine said hesitantly and looked down.

“Look Ondine,” he said as he sat next to her. “It’s not right to hold a grudge against someone just because of who they are or what they are.”

“I am aware, but… you won’t understand,” she said and sighed.

“Yes, I won’t understand,” he said with a nod of his head. “I indeed won’t understand considering I didn’t live in that time. But you didn’t live in that time and nor did Sumara. None of us were alive eight-thousand years ago!”

Ondine widened her eyes in surprise and she looked up at him.

“What I’m saying is… why should we carry on a grudge or something so silly from so long ago? Don’t you think it’s pointless since we’re now living a peaceful life together? Wouldn’t it be best to let go of the past and move on? Holding onto old grudges will only make it awkward for everyone.”

“Are you ordering me to let the grudge my race harbour towards the demons?” she asked after a moment’s pause.

“No!” Lakshman said, firmly. “I’m not ordering you to let it go. This is a request!”

Ondine looked at him and then at her feet. She closed her eyes and sighed deeply. Then she looked back at him and nodded.

“I understand,” she said. “If this is to strengthen the connection between our races, I am willing to put aside our differences.”

“Good!” Lakshman said, sounding relieved.

They got to their feet and walked to where Sumara stood. She had an uncertain expression as they finally stopped before her. Sumara and Ondine stared at each other and Lakshman felt a spark run between them. Then, Ondine bowed deeply and surprised Sumara.

“I am sorry if I judged you by what you are,” she said in an apologetic tone.

“Ah, no… it’s alright,” Sumara said and she looked towards Lakshman for help. “Please lift up your head.”

“Very well,” Ondine said and she straightened up. “Now, can I please learn magic from you, Miss Sumara?”

Ondine hesitated before using her name. It seemed she didn’t know how to call Sumara.

Sumara smiled and said “Yes, you can. By the way, just call me Sumara.” “Then I shall call you Sumara,” Ondine said and she finally smiled.

And so, Sumara and Ondine have set aside their differences and decided to work together. Lakshman was pleased to have someone else to train with and the lessons won’t be boring anymore.

You could say I'm a bit childish in the way I wrote this, but I was having fun and that's what mattered to me at that time :)

8