Chapter 5. Explanations
622 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Felix, while in his half-naked state, got ready to shapeshift into a barghest for the third time in his life. It didn't occur at first, maybe due to his nervousness, but then he quickly put himself together and recalled what he thought when he changed for the first time.

The familiar sensation started spreading through his body, as if his flesh was boiling inside without torturing him much. Standing upright position became inconvenient. His body bent forward involuntarily and his arms deformed, the elbow turning a one-eighty that made his stomach almost sad now he paid close attention. From his rear, a protrusion stuck out, feeling like an extra limb he hasn’t yet got used to. His mouth extended to become visible to his own eyes, displaying his flaring nose that instantly started trying to detect every scent in the room now it gained its potency back. His perception became sharper again, and his body felt heavier. Soon, he was on two pairs of firm legs, staring at the two spectators to see what their reactions would show.

The man, Seron, had an assessing gaze, while staying vigilant presumably as a precaution if he decided to suddenly pounce at them. Tsilonee was looking curiously and delightedly at him, faint sparks could be seen in her eyes.

However, his senses were telling him more than the eye could discern. The man had jealous smell on him, as if preventing his mate to be stolen away. He was emitting possessive aura. And by the woman's smell... there was faint traces of bloodlust behind her smiling mask. Although it was hardly noticeable, he could tell her hands were itching to kill somebody.

Was that the reason behind her proposition? A thought passed Felix’s monster brain.

That was not all the data he could gather from the room, though. There were smells of other presences, lurking somewhere beyond his vision. Two male humans. Investigating their intention was within his nose’s capabilities, Felix knew, but he put the matter aside for now, not wanting to make his realization plain to the two people staring at him.

Shortly after, he was in his human form again. He put on his clothes back and sat at the table to continue their conversation.

"That's an only animal I can turn into," Felix told them.

"The barghest aren't animals, they are stronger and smarter than ordinary beasts. From what I have heard, not every shapeshifter can turn into monsters," Tsilonee corrected him.

"Oh, is that so? Then, perhaps I was given this special power to survive in this world, by whoever brought me here?" Felix asked, hopeful to find an answer. Perhaps there were Gods here who transport people to save the realm from some sort of catastrophe. Though, that would be a drag.

"I do not know that, but it is possible. Can I ask how you managed to shapeshift? Also, can you tell me about your world as well, in more details, please?"

"Of course, gladly." Felix nodded his head eagerly.

He would tell them about the fight with the alpha, along with some minor details. But not all of them, like the body strengthening part. He wanted to hide it as a trump card, just in case.

As for talking of his world, it was the only way he could prove his words. Besides, by giving information, he intended to gain some knowledge related this realm in return, so, why not indulging her.

Felix talked about the condition of the people of his world, peacefulness of its current period, science, discoveries, technologies. The other two sat silently, listening. Although he didn't know the man could understand him or not, he sometimes looked at him and spoke to him anyway. He didn't want to appear rude by ignoring him. Building a positive relationship with the duo seemed a good start in this new world, regardless of their work or intentions.

The woman would occasionally ask questions, mostly about technologies, sometimes about women's stuff, so he answered her as fully as he could.

"So that was the world I came from," Felix concluded his narration. He gave some time to the woman to absorb what he had just told her, and then started asking his own questions. "Well, now, could you explain about this world, as well? The monsters, magic, the language, please?"

Tsilonee looked up at him, coming out of her contemplation. After a brief pondering, she started her own explanations.

"The country we are currently in is called The Dawn Empire, and the language called The Dawn Language, accordingly, or common language in most places. The Empire has neighbors in north, called Dasur Kingdom and Azure Kingdom. At first, we thought you might be a spy from those countries. But now I know it is not the case."

Which meant, he might have been captured because the hunters thought him to be a spy. Then what about the slaughtering? Felix wondered.

"The reason those hunters treated you like that, is that it is common knowledge that shapeshifters are usually used as spies. Sometimes assassins. So they must have been scared of you for that," Tsilonee told him as she senses from his slightly puzzled expression, which he could just nod.

"And about the magic," she continued, "We divide people into two types of mana users: inner and outer type mana users. Inner types can use mana to strengthen their body and increase their speed. We call them magic warriors. Shapeshifters are inner mana users. Outer types can use magic that affects objects around us, control things, or even create some via mana. One type is not capable of doing the other one does."

His hope of becoming a magician crumbled to pieces after hearing that. Well, he could still reinforce his physique at least.

"This town is called Kartan Town," Tsilonee went on after waiting what she said to sink in. "Its Lord, Geelim Kartan, is the chief of the town, he and his ancestors have been keeping the Empire borders from any invaders, especially pirates and monsters. Because in our north located The Great Forest, it is common occurrence that monsters emerge from the woods, where mostly bandits, pirates and criminals reside"

"How do monsters exist anyway?" Felix interrupted her, not being able to contain his curiosity.

"Monsters have existed for hundreds of centuries as our history suggests. Some say they are different species, others say they are anomaly from animals that possessed mana, but turned into monsters because of their inability to use their power."

It meant to him that he had to learn how to control his mana properly. Or else… the consequence didn't seem too pleasant to him. He did not believe he would turn into an actual beast, but being safe than sorry was now his top priority.

He recalled how he fought with the barghest alpha, how he felt himself as a monster with the intend to rip apart his foe with his claws and fangs, ignoring completely what he became...

"Don't worry about not being able to control your power. We will help you in this matter. To be honest, I don't know how shapeshifters are trained. But you managed this much on yourself without even knowing about magic, so it shouldn't be impossible," the woman said to him encouragingly.

Her smiling face was promising him she was an amiable person. However, Felix sensed inwardly it was really a well-made mask. She was truly planning to use his ability for some dangerous business. Maybe to eliminate whatever person opposed her. Adding that she said shapeshifters were employed as assassins, it could be pretty much of an implication.

"Sure. I would love to." He avoided asking what help she needed by saving him back then. He would find it out later.

After that, she talked to him about the mansion they were in. It was really a brothel, a huge one. From time to time, they would buy slaves and select a few among them to educate them the brothel’s job in the underground chambers. On the above part of the building, most of the clientele were received. On some occasions, there were special visitors that had to be welcomed here. For that reason, she explained, he was to be locked up from outside of the door, saying she didn't want his existence to be disclosed. He couldn't pretend to be dumb and not to be aware where it was going this time, so he asked.

"Why can't I reveal myself?”

She paused briefly in thought before answering. "As I said earlier, shapeshifters are normally used as spies or assassins. So, if someone finds out I'm hiding one inside this mansion, things might get troublesome."

Nice cover, he thought. Thinking of the guards at the entrance door, he wasn't sure of escaping anyway.

"By the way, could you teach me that imperial language? Or that magic you're using to talk to me?" If he was to sit here locked up, he should be at least able to do this much.

Tsilonee smiled to his question and answered gently. "Yes, I will be personally teaching you the Dawn Language. As for the Soul Tongue, not anyone can learn it. One has to have some inborn talent to learn it. But even if you have the talent, there are specific types of masters that teach the Soul Tongue. I'm not able to teach it. Or else, I could've taught it to my bodyguard already. I'm sorry," she said with a slightly pained expression

This much was expected. He could at least learn this one language. And when she was not teaching him, he could practice his newfound ability to get better at it.

"Thank you so much for helping me," he said what he could only say.

Afterwards, the woman briefly explained to him how he would live here, and when her language lessons would take place. Then she left with her bodyguard, locking him up inside.

Being left alone in an empty room, Felix lay down and contemplated what he had learned so far, about the information he had just collected. It was really unfortunate that he was teleported to a forest that produced monsters. Otherwise, maybe he could've been in a better condition, with the other two alive by his side.

He thought of Tsilonee’s behavior, how she talked to her, and what she revealed during the conversation.

She was certainly using lies between truths methods, he assumed. As for which ones lie and which of them true, he could vaguely guess it. She was treating him as if he was an important guest. A young guest, maybe. At the beginning, Felix had noticed she talked to him as if she was speaking to a much younger person. Now it slightly changed, she might have started evaluating him more to control him better. She was a controller type, this much was obvious. The best way to confront her was to tell the truth about most things he could reveal, his secrets being covered by his lack of knowledge about this world, and being manipulated by her in this way. At least show her that she was in control, until a right moment arrived. Then maybe he could escape and be free.

--------------------

Tsilonee and Seron sat at their own compartment in the underground sections. The room had multiple mirrors in various sizes, which were concealing concrete walls that were made soundproof. A makeup vanity was on one wall, three mirrors adorned it that could reflect a person looked at it in different angles. Cosmetics vials in different shining colors, brushes in varying lengths and other kinds of setups were placed orderly on it. On the opposite side of the makeup table was a huge bed that could accommodate four people with enough space to stretch and roll freely.

In the center of the room, at an elegant small round table, the woman herself was sitting in deep thought, speculating the information the shapeshifter, Felix, had narrated her. No matter how much she pondered, she couldn't find any flaw from his story. He had answered every question she threw at him. What he said was genuine information clearly from his own experience and knowledge.

She had asked some serious questions about his world's politics, which he told her vaguely what he knew, and along with some simple matters like how the people dressed in that world, to confuse him in case he was lying. But he had perfectly replied those questions. No one could've been able to lie this good if wasn't prepared. And if he was this skilled at faking, he wouldn't have been here in the place, telling her a fairytale instead of doing some more significant job using his ability.

His shapeshifting was exceptionally good. Shapeshifters she had heard would have to take some time to change, and when changed, would turn into small versions of animals they intended to turn if they didn't have enough mana. But he had done it in less than ten seconds, and became a barghest bigger than she had ever seen.

Considering his lack of knowledge about magic and mana control, he was either a crazily talented genius, or had very high affinity at shapeshifting. Although she didn't know shapeshifters could have this affinity, since magicians could have affinities toward elements, maybe it was the same for shapeshifters, she concluded.

Either way, more important thing wasn't his ability, which now he proved his worth at it. It was how he behaved himself. He was cooperative, he told her what she asked, did what was told without any issue. At first, she though him to be a child transformed into an adult. Many shapeshifters would be taken away from their families at very young age by The Empire if their ability were revealed. It was reasonable, considering they would cause a mess sooner or later with their power. So a child escaping wasn't a rare case.

However, he spoke with wisdom of an adult, although he didn't seem that wise and smart. His intention seemed to seek help in this world that completely unknown to him. Nevertheless, he should know a help couldn’t be given for free. Or he knew, but wanted to avert the inevitable like an ordinary citizen; if he did what he was told, everything would be fine. Well, it would be, to herself mostly.

Tsilonee concluded her thoughts with a blissful smile blooming on her face. She had found a perfect person for her plans. Then she turned to her bodyguard who had been silently sitting and waiting for her to speak, as always.

"What do you think of him". In spite of not understanding what Felix spoke, he had been observing him all the time. Furthermore, he must have heard what they talked about from the context. He didn't understand what Felix told her, but he had heard what she said and asked of the shapeshifter.

"He is naive. He could've run away and shifted to escape from us. But he didn't,” he responded, a hidden distaste in his voice. “And he is weak. Only when he turned to a barghest did I feel some pressure. Other times, none," he added.

Tsilonee smiled wryly after hearing his answer, because she knew there was more to it. She stood up and came to his side, sat on his lap, arms wrapping around his neck.

"Are you jealous again? Of the shapeshifter to be with me?" She asked in a low voice.

"I'm not" he gave her a short reply.

"Be patient. Soon, just a few months, and we'll be far away from all of this", she whispered, embracing him harder.

"We can go far away even now" he whispered back.

Tsilonee looked straight into his eyes to see his plea and helplessness in them. "I can't. I can't run away now. Not before I finished what I have to do," she said.

--------------------

Felix spent his free time for practicing how to control his mana better, inside his locked chamber. He first changed into his barghest form again and paced around the room in a circle as if he was checking his gait, and eventually sat on the center. He stilled himself and focused on his enhanced senses; hearing and smelling. After a few minutes of staying motionless, he started shifting back to his human shape. If someone saw him, they would think he was practicing his shapeshifting, which actually he was not.

A male human. A magic warrior, according to the information he had attained so far, was watching him from another room or from a hidden cell. Felix sensed his scent, and heard his heartbeat, albeit barely. As he had thought, they were not taking chances to leave him unobserved. He had sensed this scent before when Tsilonee and Seron was present, along with the other one. There was the possibility that it could be a lingering scent of someone else on Tsilonee’s body or gown. After all, the woman was a prostitute, so it was natural that she would be touched, hugged, and more so by others, even if she was a head prostitute. But now he had made sure he had watchmen keeping an eye on him.

Felix then slumped down onto his bed as if exhausted from shifting. He could have actually transformed to a monster and back two more times, but decided to hold back from showing off. Afterwards, he proceeded on his experiment of mana control, and put a blanket onto his body, pretending to be going to sleep.

He drew out his mana from its source, directed it to his muscles, and waited it to dissipate. He felt the power was staying longer and longer the more he tried. He even tried a few times to circulate his mana through his limbs, but it was hell difficult. Finally, he pulled the mana out from the source in a big amount, and attempted to rotate it through his whole body. And immediately knew he made a great mistake.

It felt as though he had swallowed a big chunk of food and now he was suffering to swallow it. His skin felt like burning, and his muscles were as if they were being pierced by thousands of needles, both inside and out. His veins felt like they were ready to blow up at any moment.

Felix barely managed to hold himself back from convulsing inside the blanket. He waited in agony for this state to pass. It lasted for a few minutes before the pain started subsiding. His whole body was wet from overly sweating.

When he finally calmed down, he looked at his body to check his condition. His skin wasn't that pale, and his veins were not damaged or bulging as he thought they would. However, his skin was covered in purplish colored moisture.

It was sweat and blood in the mixture.

Honestly, he had thought he would turn into a monster right there and then. Seeing it did not happen, he swore himself not to be this reckless with magic after this, and actually went to sleep.

24