Chapter 11. An Unexpected Arrival and New Directions
528 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A gate constructed with one of the sturdiest wood and elegantly decorated steel parts stood tall, showing off its might that boasting no one can breach it. On both sides of it, two pairs of sentries were guarding it. From their armor that exquisitely made for display, as well as long lasting durability, one could only address them in respect.

Kalin, who was acting as Lina, and her two companions approached The Kartan Manor. Kalin was leading the other two. Since the arranged meeting with the lord was to take place because this maid delivered the request, she was the one who must guide the guests.

The guards at the entrance let them pass after only a few words of introduction and asking the reason of their coming. Although they must be perfectly aware of their identities, it was a part of their obligation to inquire the purpose of their visit.

The trio entered the largest structure in the town. Past the gate, right opposite them was a three-storey main building. Every floor of it reached over four meters, separated by meticulously tiled eaves, making it by far the tallest and most magnificent construction among other buildings in the whole town. Of course, its architecture was nowhere near to the ones in the capital or in other main cities of the Dawn Empire.

Two double-floored buildings were flanked on both sides of the central structure, creating a squared space between the main gate and the town lord’s residence. They housed armed forces who fought using inner magic, or at least elite warriors who had experienced multiple battles without the use of mana. Geelim Kartan himself was a magician, specialized in fire. So it was reasonable he would position warriors around his residence.

Faint sounds of metal clashes and shouts could be heard from a far distance as they made their way toward the lord’s manor. The guards must be training in a specified field. Other dozens of sentries were placed in order outside the buildings. Two maids welcomed them, nodding to Kalin, motioning her task was now over. They would take it from this onward.

The entrance hall inside was like an exhibition. Sinister looking huge battleaxes, exquisite great swords, spears with blades of half-moon were decorating the walls. Below them aesthetically made vases were slightly diminishing the intimidating atmosphere of the vestibule. Despite being a magician, the owner of this manor collected various types of weapons. Majority of them were spoils of the battles the lord himself personally took part. Some inner mana users tended to learn close range battle styles, this magician was one of them.

They were led through the stairs up to the top floor, where the town lord was waiting. One of the maids entered the Lord Kartan’s chamber first to inform their arrival, asking the guests to wait. It was an appointment that was arranged beforehand, so they were received straight away.

When Tsilonee and her bodyguard stepped through the doors, they saw the Kartan family head was almost buried under piles of paper and scrolls. It was expected, considering one of the largest annual festivals was fast approaching. They must be mainly related to invitations and reports, since he was responsible for the Empire border’s safety.

“Lord Kartan, let me congratulate you with the forthcoming celebration of the Day of Plethora. May the Goddess’s generosity be boundless to you and your land,” Tsilonee started, performing her feminine curtsey.

“Miss Tsilonee, I assume you have come to ask for my permission to obtain the right to organize your ‘show’ in the festival in my manor?” he ignored her regards and quickly got to the topic.

Geelim Kartan had sturdy figure and a rigid face with thick brows that made his expression always serious when he was talking. His face emitted overbearing confidence and a little cruelty that briefed others he had been strict with his given position. Dealing with pirates and bandits constantly would cause to develop such demeanor.

However, the people he had exterminated were not just law-breakers or run-aways, in fact. Otherwise, Tsilonee wouldn’t be standing here at present, bowing to one of the kinsmen of his enemy. Every time she faced one of these members of this lineage, memories of the fates of her family would spring to her mind; her father’s urges at her to hurry and run with her younger brother, her and her younger brother’s helpless begs to the soldiers under one of the heir of the Kartan. That Kartan heir was a spoiled brat who tried to show heroism by exterminating a pirate tribe, who were actually been merely exiles.

Tsilonee forced down those thoughts as easily as always and showed her gentle smiling countenance. She would be the exterminator this time; a patient, cunning exterminator of this whole family.

“My lord is very wise. I would be immensely grateful if you could grant me the privilege of setting a dance performance in you manor. My girls have been preparing to this event with much dedication for a long time.”

He finally looked up from his paperwork and eyed her over his elegant desk for a second, before diving back to his job again. “Your girls, huh?”

She didn’t bother answering the superficial question. Although this Town Lord was true to his duty, he wouldn’t say no to new blooming flowers to appear in his bed. To provide this service was Tsilonee’s business, so it was hard for him to find a reason to turn down her request.

“Alright, you have my permission,” he gave his consent in the end. But that wasn’t without a condition, it seemed, as he was gazing up again and opening his mouth to state his demand, “The guests I’ll be receiving are very prestigious. I hope you have proper girls to the occasion should the necessity arises?”

“Of course, my lord. I have everything arranged perfectly to the event,” she responded, imagining the results of her ‘perfect’ preparations.

“Good. Then you may leave,” Geelim Kartan said, busying himself back to continue his job.

Tsilonee and her bodyguard bowed once more before exiting the lord’s workplace. A satisfied expression was painted on her face as she left the manor. Though, her intention wasn’t to go back to her mansion yet, she headed to her next place to prepare to the events fully. Never hurt to ready things in advance. Just in case.

Night fell to the town, late autumn breeze was drifting through brick and wooden houses as Tsilonee reached her dear brothel. A servant scurried up to inform her about visitors who had asked for her presence. They hadn’t stated their names. No small person would usually dare to summon Tsilonee. It made her wonder about this guests’ status as she made her way towards the highest floor, a special area intended for particular type of clients.

The moment she entered the chamber, her eyes landed on the person who was being cared by two of the brothel’s best women. His long robe was dark navy color; crimson buttons enriched its style, half-circled red ornaments were beatifying the man’s handsome semblance. He had well-built frame, his face was picturing hundreds of battles’ experience, though it was surprisingly unblemished.

The man’s attention was everywhere but the women who were gently massaging his stretched legs. He was studying scrolled documents in his hands, occasionally chatting with a younger man sitting far opposite him.

It took a couple of seconds to realize the identities of one of these individuals. When she remembered fully their standings, she immediately bent her knees down, producing a thumping sound from where she sank, without a care to her limb. She tried to make up for her late arrival with excuses, but couldn’t find an appropriate angle to breach her stuck up throat from the surprise.

“Oh, the first beauty of the town has finally showed up to us humble visitors,” the man on the chair spoke, glancing at her from the corner of his eyes.

One of the sons-in-law of Duke Jaris Sivin, who she was secretly working for, Viscount Neret Manas has come to her mansion himself. She had only seen him once six years ago in one of the celebrations in the manor. On that occasion, there had appeared a chance for her to spend a night under his body, before one of the Duke Sivin’s son’s snatched away the opportunity.

His presence only meant he was the next potential candidate to being the head of the Kartan Town. And her role was now critically essential in this undertaking. Suddenly her clothes seemed to have collected extra weight as she bowed her head even lower.

“The first beauty? Not bad,” the other person commented, approaching to kneeled Tsilonee from the side.

“My lord, my deepest apologies. Had I been informed, I could-“

“No need, we’ve recently arrived. You must have been in the town’s manor, I assume?” the viscount cut her off, not even bothering to split his attention for her from the paper he was still observing.

“I have, my lord.”

The lord fell silent. However, the younger noble kept nearing slowly at her sitting position, and gently crouched down beside her, careful of not creasing his equally fancy clothes to his companion. His face was youthful; freshly shaven skin, curios small brown eyes that gave off self-certainty as if he could take whatever he wished. She could guess he was barely above twenty.

The young man extended his hand toward Tsilonee’s face, just touching it, and lining down with his index finger until he stopped at her chin. His expression was of a researcher. Tsilonee could just take a few ever so subtle glimpses at the youngster to know his intention behind his curiosity-expressing demeanor. Strangely, there was something else on his gaze that sent a muted meaning.

A pity? Pity that I had spent my precious youth in this backwater town, trying to extract revenge for my family? Tsilonee wondered inwardly.

“Indeed, maybe she could be called a first tier beauty. Compared to my uncle’s harem’s marvels though… But still…,” he said with a suppressed smile.

‘My uncle’ he said? Which meant…? Tsilonee eyes widened further from the young noble’s potential background. He was a blood cousin of Duke Sivin. But what could he be doing in this edge area of the Empire?

“Enough playing,” the Viscount folded the paper and withdrew his resting legs, standing up. “There should be a place in this mansion where we could hear what you’ve managed to do so far, correct?”

Tsilonee lifted her head to check how serious discussion would take place if she were to lead them to underground section. Seeing his neutral, matter-of-fact expression, she mentally chose a proper room to their conversation.

“Do you wish I dismiss all the unoccupied servants in the mansion?” she asked.

“No need. Just lead the way.”

“Yeah, we’ve been discreet enough,” the young noble agreed with the Viscount.

Tsilonee took the guests to the secluded compound, far away from where she kept her another special guest. She contemplated what questions these lords would come up with, what she would spill about her situation. Exposing the shapeshifter’s existence didn’t seem like a right idea. But then, it would eventually be revealed if she was to continue serving the Duke. The right choice appeared to be simply waiting and seeing how the events unfolded.

From the looks of it, the chamber she had selected was acceptable to the high-ranked guests. They didn’t show any disdain in their attitude. Neret Manas, especially, was adequately content with the environment she could offer. The higher-class people had always been self-oriented, particularly this viscount. After being no more than a spectator when the woman he wanted for himself was picked up, and under his very nose at that, must have damaged his manly pride.

Now it felt he was inwardly agitated from the past events, from the shame in front of the woman he wished to keep for himself. The noble youngster she had slept with six years ago had discarded her the morning after the occasion. But the traces of anger seemed to be still remaining from the way the Viscount was treating with her. Actually, this should’ve made it easier to manipulate the man acting prideful. Though she restrained herself from taking the risk. The young man he was accompanied with looked calmer, and more considerate, despite his young age and innocent-seeming behavior.

Tsilonee could tell he was a magician from the way he spoke, from his gait and from his suit that tailor made for style, not for movement convenience. The probability he was more skilled than her was rather high. The nobility often produced more promising magicians and warriors than ordinary folk.

“Can you really assassinate Geelim Kartan,” the viscount began after all of them had properly settled down in their seats.

“Yes, my lord.”

“Is it only by the tools you were provided by His Grace? Or have you found another way?”

Tsilonee fell silent from this question, buying a few seconds to make up her mind. What if she said yes? Would she be rewarded for presenting the Duke a rare and exceptionally skilled species of a shapeshifter? She doubted it. From the Viscount’s behavior, it was like a sour dream to expect a highly positive outcome.

“I’m deeply sorry, my lord. I haven’t been able to create another viable means.” All was up to the fate now.

“What tools was she given?” the younger lord asked, curios.

“Duke Sivin had sent two swords made from tezenis, and a pair of vials containing strong and quick affecting poison and its antidote,” the elder noble explained, and resumed after directing his attention toward Tsilonee. “He had also dispatched one of his talented magic warriors for the task.”

“She has been training since she came here. She will take part in the assassination if the poison isn’t effective enough to kill Geelim Kartan,” she said, her head bowed in respect.

“It will not kill him,” the viscount claimed, causing Tsilonee to look up at him in surprise.

“The purpose of the poison is only to weaken him,” he continued, unfazed by her inquiring gaze. “As other chief captains of the military force, he keeps at least one high skilled healer mage close to him, other than the town’s healers. So it’s useless to purely rely on the effect of the poison. Even if it is the deadliest of its kind.”

This information truly stunned Tsilonee. High skilled healer mages were supposed to be only in major cities, to her knowledge. If one of them resided in the town lord’s mansion, it meant he had no reason to fear to many dangers as long as he kept them nearby. They could cure every injury instantly, no matter how fatal it was, provided the injured person wasn’t already dead. High grade poisons weren’t issue for them.

“Kalin’s presence isn’t without reason. She will assist your bodyguard to take down the town lord. I heard he is a second stage magic warrior?” the viscount said.

“Not even middle mastery, my lord,” Tsilonee quickly tried to rationalize the statement.

“Second stage!?” the younger noble interjected again, exclaiming with astonishment. “Is she so important person to have such a skilled bodyguard by her side, brother Neret?”

“He must be her younger brother,” Neret Manas responded, looking at her.

“My brother’s childhood friend,” she corrected, resisting her past memories trying to surface in her mind.

“Oh, I see. Then it must be quite fortunate to have a strong and loyal warrior to serve you.”

“I’m forever grateful for his protection,” she answered to the younger lord.

“We have deviated from the main topic,” the Viscount said toward his companion. “Your plan must be to quickly escape from the town after the Town Lord is dead, using the overcrowded situation from the celebration, am I right?”

“Yes, my lord.”

The both nobles fell silent after her answer. Her plan was truly to run away with Seron if they successfully assassinated Geelim Kartan. However, luck beamed at her and a shapeshifter appeared out of nowhere. Now he was totally under her control, preparing to be exploited no matter what choice he would make she had given before she left. But she would not inform these lords of him yet. Because they seemed to have other plans for her in mind.

“You can’t run away,” the viscount said at last.

Tsilonee’s brows mildly furrowed after hearing these words, but she remained silent, listening intently to what Neret Manas would say to reason this statement.

“His Grace instructed us to investigate the crime, and find the culprit after the Town Lord’s death. You must be captured and interrogated. By us.”

Tsilonee stopped breathing. Did she hear correctly? Be captured? And being sent to the interrogation?

“My lord… I… I… How-“

“Let me finish,” the Viscount said with a bearing tone. “The interrogation will not be severe. The investigators will be hired by us. And even if you are found guilty, we will arrange an escape plan for you with a faked execution,” he finished his explanation and became quite, waiting for her response.

Are they trying to get rid of me with such a petty excuse? Or is this just this Viscount’s scheme towards me? It can’t be. Duke Sivin is very wise person, he wouldn’t come to this conclusion without a base… Or would he?

Tsilonee kept contemplating over and over, staring at the table she was sitting at. She almost ignored the two other persons’ presence while being busy with her deep musing. However, the nobles didn’t wait long for her reply as they stood up.

“Think about it thoroughly. We have brought a skilled healer mage for you to recover after the interrogations. And after all of this is over, His Grace will generously reward for your sincere services,” then they left her to her own thoughts.

It was like a joke. Just today, she had left someone with a similar kind of way. He must have supposed whether she was planning to eliminate him after the mission, now she was under the same pressure. Was there an option for escape? It was impossible. The Duke’s influence had spread far and wide in the empire. If she intended to emigrate to other countries, she would have to cross the Great Forest. Or the Uncontrolled Lands. Pirates, thieves, criminals and other bandits would cause a considerable issue for that. Fate seemed so dark now, completely opposite when she became close to Felix. He was open-minded, truthful and scholarly curios, proving he didn’t belong to this world.

A muffled creek of the door took her down from her thoughts, revealing the only person she could rely on in this cruel world. Seron approached him in swift strides. He had instantly noticed her downcast state.

“What did they say?”

She briefly explained what was said a while ago in this room, the Duke’s commands. It undoubtedly caused her bodyguard to enrage from such instructions. But he surprisingly became calm in a short time.

“Let’s get away from all of this,” he said. “Just leave the nobles for their own squabbles.”

“Can we? To where?” It felt like as if she aged quite a few years.

“We’re both strong at our specialty. We can cross the woods. Or go to the Uncontrolled Lands to find a place to live. Let’s just leave this empire and that petty revenge.”

A few short seconds took Tsilonee to digest his suggestion. And when the words he said slowly sank in, she unhurriedly looked up at him straight in the eyes, but with a rekindled burning determination in her gaze.

“It’s NOT a petty revenge. You knew my brother well. Even if you weren’t there, you should know how it feels to carry a burden of a loss of family. How can you say that?”

He didn’t respond with appropriate words to her questions. He couldn’t. He was a man, as others, who used to being away from the family, to kill without a care of the orphans or widows he was making.

She took out two flasks from her clothes’ hidden pocket. One of them light blue, other one was almost white with very faint crimson color.

“We are not completely out if options,” she finally said. “We have a shapeshifter.”

“He can’t be trusted,” her protector responded weakly.

“With these, we can. Do you know how countries control shapeshifters without a risk of them escaping?” she asked, and didn’t wait to receive an answer. “They are forced to be addicts to drugs that are specifically made. They are so rare it is not possible to find a replacement. So if those shapeshifters were to choose to run away, it would be pointless. They would come back.” She looked at her bodyguard with resolution.

“We don’t have such a privilege, unfortunately. We can just rely on crude methods,” she lifted up the flasks and put them down on the table to display its contents. “A slow affecting poison and its antidote.”

18