Checkbox – Part 2
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Agapura welcomed its champion with streets brimming in raucous cheer, flowers laden in balconies and sweets distributed from Paheri Nok’s kitchens when they caught sight of the expected flying carrier come into view. The malaya vimana was designed with the hues and traits of the monal bird in mind, the shape of the pheasant leading its structure. It was built to withstand high altitude flying and could carry a crowd of fifty easily. 

“Do you think Ma will spare me if I keep acting hurt?” Minar whispered to Mogh as they got out of the carrier, following their parents as the welcoming rituals were conducted. 

“If she hasn’t said anything yet, she’s not going to say anything now,” Mogh replied quietly, smiling at the minister who came to greet them. 

Minar doubted that. That rule applied to Mogh, who was more adaptable to Ma’s standards and regulations. With Minar, silence meant a painfully unavoidable conversation later and she would much rather feed the cows. 

Tuhina didn’t bring anything up for the major part of the day and Minar almost believed that Mogh had been right in his assessment when she got the call to gather at her mother’s chambers after lunch. At least now I have energy to listen, she thought as she walked into the room while wishing she had managed to convince the cook to make some apple kheer too. 

When she saw Mogh standing inside already, she paused before walking forward, her silk lavender skirt brushing the pale polished floor. She raised her brows questioningly but he simply nodded towards their mother, who was writing something on her desk, her back towards them. She stood up when Minar was mouthing her next question and the siblings faced Tuhina as she turned around, a neatly scrolled letter in her hand. 

“I take it you’re both rested after the long week?” she asked as she came down the two steps to face them, her kohl lined eyes looking both of them over once before she looked at Mogh, “Mogh, I’m glad we were able to clear your name at Odho before we left. I could expect an apology from Byumir if you insist.”

“I’m fine, Rani-ma,” he replied and Minar made a face, clearly disagreeing with his leniency. Tuhina caught the expression before she could get it under control and she smiled awkwardly. 

“I’m fine too, Ma,” she assured but her mother shot her a dry look before glancing at her arm. 

“Of course, being a human shield is a part of the training course, isn’t it?” she asked sarcastically and Minar bit back a wince as she resisted the urge to tug at her full-sleeves, “The physicians tell me that it won’t scar if you follow their instructions well.”

The unasked Will you was clear and Minar pursed her lips as she looked away, waiting for the conversation to take a new turn. 

“Is it an important letter, Rani-ma?” Mogh distracted the attention and Minar looked up to see Tuhina nod as she looked at the emerald green scroll. 

“It’s a reply to the invite from your teachers at Varnisnuti,” she informed, meeting their eyes, “Acharya Samvarka has asked you both to join them in the centennial celebration scheduled for two weeks from now. He wishes for you to come early to help them out in the preparation, if you can.”

“We will,” they both agreed and Minar felt the excitement build over the thought of going back to school. The gurukula at Varnisnuti was famed for its impartiality and disenchantment about being favoured by power, accepting students based on merit and willingness to learn. Mogh had graduated two years before her and Minar had made most of her friends there, gaining a reputation for being both stubborn and dedicated. Now two years since her own graduation, she missed the place and going back meant an opportunity to have fun with old friends again. 

“I know,” Tuhina expected the answer from them and handed over the scroll to Mogh, “I’ve sent word of our acceptance and this is a message of goodwill. You both will not be accompanied by helpers as is the rule of Acharya, so I hope you will take better care of yourselves.”

Minar smiled cheekily at the pointed look sent her way but nodded when Mogh cleared his throat. 

“Good,” Tuhina smiled at Mogh and tapped her hand against Minar’s arm, smirking lightly at the stunned yelp, “You’ll be leaving at dawn tomorrow, so take rest today and don’t get into trouble. And Minar?”

“Yes, ma?” Minar mumbled as she rubbed below the dressing. 

“Get your dressing changed,” Tuhina ordered before patting Mogh’s shoulder as she turned to leave. Minar put upon a pitiful face as she faced Mogh but only got an arm around her shoulder as she was dragged away to go pack for their journey. 

They set out as the first rays of the sun touched the walls of Paheri Nok, being taken by the vimana till the outskirts of Varnisnuti before going forward on their horses. Varnisnuti was a maze of woods and volatile lakes, no clearing large enough to allow flying carriers to land. Mogh’s stallion, aptly named Taaj, was serenely disciplined and didn’t give in to curiosity more than essential. Minar’s sand-coloured horse, Hora, was temperamental to put things tamely. He shared his rider’s love for apples and had the urge to drink from every lake they pass. 

By the time they reached the gates of the school, it was an hour before sunset and they alighted to wait for the disciple guards to inform the Acharya of their arrival. It took some time before the disciple came back to inform them that they had permission to enter, guiding them to the stables to leave their horses to rest before they could retire to their assigned quarters. 

“Minar! Min- oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to,” a voice called out as they walked along the passage to their quarters and Minar turned to see a young girl apologising profusely to the disciples she had run into, “Oh - is that milk? Oh no, wait, let me get you something -”

Minar recognised Kasak Nek from appearance and the bad luck that seemed to follow her whenever she walked anywhere, gaining her the nickname of Tatola Tota (fumbling parrot). Seeing how her old classmate was only making things worse when she tried to wipe the spilt milk with another disciple’s shawl, Minar made her way towards the scene. 

“Kasak, stop helping,” she chuckled as she caught the hand that was now going to grab at the poor disciple’s shirt sleeves with milk-stained palms, “Please go clean yourselves up, she’ll be fine with me. Careful.”

Kasak looked guilty as she watched the boys leave with grumblings under their breath before turning to look at Minar with a hangdog expression. 

“It was just milk,” Minar patted her back sympathetically before wiping at her hands with the shawl, “It could have been worse.”

“I’m sure it will be, we’re going to be here for a while,” Kasak sighed, her russet eyes lighting up as she turned fully, “I’m so happy to see you! Did you come in just now? Did you come alone?”

“Mogh just went into his room,” Minar pointed over her shoulder with a grin that widened when Kasak excitedly pulled her into a hug, “I’m glad you’re here too, oof, stop choking me. Did your mother actually send you alone this time?”

“Even she isn’t stubborn enough to argue with Acharya Samvarka all over again,” Kasak rolled her eyes as she pulled away, linking her arm around Minar’s when they began walking back towards the quarters, “Besides, it’s been years since I was here. She trusts me much more now.”

“She packed in an entire army’s worth of luggage, didn’t she?” Minar guessed and quirked her lips when Kasak narrowed her eyes at her but nodded tiredly, “Don’t worry, I’m sure we’ll find a way to make use of most of it between us.”

They spent the evening chatting before joining the other students at the main hall to meet the teachers. Mogh was polite and well-liked among them, and got to discussing old topics that he liked debating about. Minar let Kasak drag her around to reintroduce themselves to people but was mostly content exploring the place when she was left alone. After a while, she managed to excuse herself from mingling further and told Kasak that she’d be back before the evening address. 

“Finally,” she exhaled and inhaled the fresh air of the garden as she found her way to it from the bustle of the gathering hall, “It almost feels like the past again.”

“With you sneaking away from scheduled gatherings? I’d say so”

Minar sighed as she recognised the voice even without seeing the person and looked to the sky before turning around to face another old acquaintance. 

It would be a disastrous day when she called Yaali Prabhat her friend. 

“It’s good to see you too, Yaali,” she greeted, both of them hearing the clear lie in the pleasant tone, “Though I must say, it’s odd seeing you here. Did you forget your way to the gathering hall?”

“Why, am I not allowed to be in the garden?” Yaali’s eyes resembled her father and her mind resembled a dingy cave according to Minar, who would never understand the younger Prabhat princess’ fascination with her. 

Well, fascination with annoying her. 

“It’s not like being forbidden would stop you,” Minar kept up her civil smile as she took in the dark ensemble that looked like the night sky had wed a black hole, “I just don’t recall you ever being interested in places that didn’t involve -”

“Drama?”

“ - people,” Minar could see the civility stretch thin but she wasn’t too bothered to fake it to extreme limits, “I’ll let you enjoy the garden in peace then. Wish you a good evening.”

She almost managed to slip past Yaali when she saw another figure enter the garden, looking around with a slight frown. Minar felt her lips stretch into a smile when their eyes met and recognition sparked in the other person’s eyes. 

“Minar?” Uri sounded happy and Minar had missed her, the genuine warmth and kind eyes that always made her feel like there were lamps lit nearby. 

“Uri,” Minar greeted her old friend and grinned when the other girl crossed the distance with swift steps, coming to stand before her with a wide smile, “You look well.”

“What formality, but thank you,” Uri laughed before stepping into Minar’s space to wrap her arms around her in a gentle hug, “I knew I’d find you here.”

Minar chuckled but let herself hold Uri as she felt another part of her past slot back into place.

0