Chapter 2: Stat Check
107 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Please turn around and go to the center of the audience hall.” Mr. Antonius said as he pointed at several robed people pushing a cart covered with a canvas.  

Upon arriving at the middle of the hall, the robed people removed the canvas exposing a crystal sphere. There were also several knights behind the robed people who were carrying a wooden pedestal which they set down in front of the cart. Afterwards, the robed people lifted the crystal sphere and gently set it on top of the pedestal.  

After everything was set up, Mr. Antonius led us to where the pedestal and crystal was. As we made our way to the pedestal, the people that were gathered were all cheering for us. But instead of feeling encouraged by their cheers, I felt more doubtful and uncertain.  

“Now then, young heroes, we shall find out how strong each of you are by looking at your statuses.” Antonius said, “Who among you young heroes want to go first.”  

I looked around our group and saw that everyone was hesitant to go, everyone except Marvin, heck he’s even raring to go. And without further ado he confidently walked in front of our group.  

“I volunteer to go first.” he proudly said as he thumped his chest.  

To match Marvin’s eagerness, the crowd around us cheered even louder than before.  

Damn it people, you’re just boosting his ego.  

Marvin excitedly reached his hands out to the crystal sphere, but the old man Antonius stopped him, “I appreciate your eagerness, but please wait for further instruction young hero.” Antonius said to him, “Now then, as heroes you can check your own status by saying, “Status Open”, you might be asking why you even need to touch the appraisal crystal. The answer to that is only the heroes summoned from another world can use the “Status Open”. For us, we would still need to hold an appraisal crystal to see our stats. And by touching the appraisal crystal we would be able to see and assess your stats.”  

After listening to Mr. Antonius’ explanation, everyone in our group said, ‘Status Open’. And after saying those words, everyone gasped in surprise. I on the other hand didn’t say those words at first, but my curiosity got the best of me, so I also muttered, “Status Open”.  

After muttering those words, a user interface popped up in my vision. There I saw a game-like UI which displayed my stats in a numerical format. It’s not like the stats windows in games though. The problem with the UI was that it was covering my entire vision and there was no organization whatsoever everything was just crammed there. Whoever designed this UI doesn’t care about the UX. I grumbled internally.  

“It seems like everyone has tried looking at their own status.” Antonius said.  

“HOW DO I CLOSE THIS THING!?” Marvin yelled. “I CAN’T SEE ANYTHING!”  

Mr. Antonius and everyone around us were surprised by Marvin’s sudden yelling. “Do not panic, young heroes, to close the status window please recite “Status Close” and the window will be closed.” Mr. Antonius explained.  

Once again everyone in our group muttered those words. As soon as I said, “Status Close”, the UI in my vision immediately disappeared. Whew, good thing that thing’s gone.  

“Now young heroes, you must now touch the appraisal crystal one by one.” Mr. Antonius announced as he urged Marvin to place his hands around the crystal. “So that we may see how great and hero-like your statuses are. You may now touch the appraisal orb” He added.  

Marvin reached out towards the crystal ball without even thinking twice about it and as soon as his hand touched the crystal a hologram-like projection of his status projected out of the crystal and into the space above it. And just like the UIs that I saw when I said, ‘Status Open’, his stats were also everywhere and not organized.  

[Marvin Lepantos 18 years old Job Hero Level 1 Experience 0 Experience for next level 100 Available Mana 100 Total Mana 100 Strength 150 Agility 75 Intelligence 50 Dexterity 70 No Skills No Titles No Bounties]  

“As expected of one of the summoned heroes, your status is already higher than veteran knights despite only being level 1.” Antonius said.  

Upon hearing the appraisal, Marvin grew even much more excited. He returned to our group with a smug look on his face. “I told you guys I’m strong.” He said to us.  

One by one my classmates approached the crystal and were appraised as their stats was open for all to see.  

Don’t you have something like a privacy protection law or something in here? Why would we need to show our stats?  

“Yo Jan.” Kelvin called out to me. “It’s your turn now bro. You’re the last one.”  

Dammit, I really don’t want to show my stats to them. Is there no way to hide my stats!?  

[User request was made… processing user request… user request is approved… implementing user request.]  

What the heck was that!?  

Curiosity got the best of me again as I muttered, “Status Open”.  

[Jan Gabriel Fernandez 17 years old Job ### Level ### Experience ### Experience for next level ### Available Mana ### Total Mana ### Strength ### Agility ### Intelligence ### Dexterity ### Skills ### Titles ### Bounties ###]  

What the heck!? All of my status that was supposed to be visible cannot be seen anymore, it was replaced by a bunch of # symbols. What the heck is going on?! 

I slowly made my way towards the crystal as I was still panicking internally, and when I finally reached the crystal ball, my stats appeared just like my classmates before me. But unlike my classmates turns which was met with a flurry of cheers, mine was met with a bunch of ‘HUH!?’. I guess that’s better than them knowing what my stats are like. 

“What is the meaning of this!?” someone from the crowd said loud enough that I managed to hear it. Everyone in the room was quite shocked to see my status, even Mr. Antonius, but he quickly regained his composure. 

“You can now return to your companions’ side.” Mr. Antonius said, traces of his earlier shock can still be seen on his face.  

I went back to my friends, “What the hell was that man?” Carlo asked, “We couldn’t see your stats.” 

Marvin made his way through the group and stopped in front of me, “You must’ve had a very low status for the appraisal orb to fail like that.” He said smugly, “But fear not my dear classmate, for I, the Great Hero, will protect you and see to it that you will return to our world safely.” 

I don’t need your pity and protection though. I grumbled internally. “Uh, yeah sure.” Was the only reply that came out of my mouth. 

Mr. Antonius ordered several robed people to push away the crystal orb before going to to the King. Mr. Antonius knelt down in front of the King before coming to the King’s side and whispered something to his ear. After hearing what Mr. Antonius whispered, the King stood up and gestured something to someone, “The summoning ritual has now ended, may the young heroes now strive to become worthy of their titles as heroes.” A herald announced. 

I bet Mr. Antonius and the King discussed my status, why it’s like that and all. 

The crowd gathered inside the Audience Hall was led out of the hall, while we were told to stay behind.  

After the last of the crowd left the room, a group of Knights and servants? entered the room. The one leading the group approached us, “Young heroes, you must be tired already. A banquet is being prepared, but for the mean time we will escort you to your lodging. Once the banquet is ready, a servant will come to call you in your lodgings.”  

The guards and servants escorted us out of the Audience Hall and into our ‘lodging’. I just want to have some rest right now, I’m not tired physically but mentally. I’m drained. I’m also looking forward to the banquet later. 

+ + + + + 

In the King’s study, the court sorcerer and the King were sitting around a table.  

“Your Majesty, I have come to report the status of otherworlders and my theory about the irregular one.” Antonius said.  

“Hmmm, how was it, does anyone seem useful enough? Can we still use the irregular?” the king asked.  

“Based on their status, they are only stronger than a common man, but given enough time, they will be stronger. Besides, otherworlders gain more experience and thus level up faster compared to us inhabitants of this world.” Antonius replied, "As for their usefulness, the boy named Marvin might be easy enough to control and for the rest, nothing that a few hypnosis and brainwashing spells cannot handle. As for the irregular one, my theory about him is that he was just accidentally summoned here and thus he do not possess the stats that are blessed by the gods."  

"I see, I give you full authority regarding those otherworlders, see to it that they will be useful to me." the King paused and looked straight at Antonius' eyes, "If they prove to be useless, just dispose of them, we can always try the summoning ritual again next spring. I’ll also let you decide how to handle the irregular."  

"By Your Will, Your Majesty." Antonius bowed and turned to leave but he suddenly remembered something, “Ah, I almost forgot. Your Majesty, I the irregular does not have any potential may I take him as my test subject?” 

"As I said a while ago, I’ll let you decide how to handle the irregular.” The King replied, “If I don’t see a use for him then you can have him.”  

“Thank you, Your Majesty. I almost forgot to report that the 12 domination crystals are already prepared and can be immediately used upon your command.” Antonius said before leaving the room. 

Left alone in the room, the King stood up and looked outside his window. “I know you’re there.” He said as if talking to someone even though the room was empty. 

“As perceptive as ever, I see.” A voice replied as a sitting shadow slowly formed at the king’s table. “I see that you summoned more heroes, you can’t keep on throwing kids my way and expecting them to defeat me you know.” 

The king quickly unsheathed his sword and swung it at the shadow causing it to slowly dissipate into black mist and a deafening silence spread throughout the room. The King once again stared out his window after making sure he dispatched the shadow. 

+ + + Jan + + + 

The ‘lodging’ they led us into is a detached building a couple minutes of walk away from the castle. Ain’t this a little too big just for 13 people? I mean what the heck, it’s the size of a small mansion already. 

We still haven’t arrived at the front door, but my classmates are already getting giddy just from seeing where we’ll be staying at. Who wouldn’t be? We were just your regular Senior High Schoolers and now we get to stay in a mansion. 

“A magnificent mansion fit for us heroes.” Marvin said as he stared at the mansion with stars in his eyes. 

We mostly ignored him and proceeded to the front door with a knight leading us. The knight knocked, more like banged, on the door and announced, “OPEN THE DOORS, THE HEROES HAVE ARRIVED.” Shortly afterwards, we heard the door getting unlocked and eventually opened. 

As we were led inside the mansion, two rows of servants greeted us, the servants then led us to our rooms, each of us were given our own rooms, all of us except for me that is.  

“I’m very sorry Sir Hero, the heroes’ villa only has 12 rooms prepared.” a young maid apologized.  

“Huh!? But there’s 13 of us here.” I said in confusion. 

“Y-yes sir hero, but there are just 12 rooms available.” The maid said apologetically. “I sincerely apologize for the lack of your room, sir hero, please forgive me.” 

What the heck, there’re tears forming in her eyes already? “Uh, you don’t have to apologize though, it’s fine.” 

Noticing the commotion, an older maid approached us, “We humbly ask for your apology, Sir Hero. We only have 12 rooms in the Heroes’ villa since only 12 heroes are summoned every time.” She said with her head bowed down, the younger maid followed suit. 

Please don’t bow down to me… “Uhmm, as I said it’s fine, I can just sleep in one of the sofas that I saw in the reception room. A while ago.” I said to them but they would still not raise their heads. For crying out loud, please just raise your heads. 

Carlo and Kelvin who just came out of their rooms saw the two maids bowing down in front of me. “Sheesh dude, what did you do again this time?” Carlo said jokingly, “Not even one night has passed and you already got two girls begging to be with you?” 

“Damn bro, how to be you.” Kelvin added as he snickered. 

“Urgh damn you both, I just didn’t get a room and now they’re bowing their heads.” I replied exasperatedly. 

“You can stay in my room bro.” Kelvin offered, “But make sure you clean up afterwards, hahahah.” 

“Uh yeah sure.” I replied. That last bit isn’t funny though. 

As the three of us went to Kelvin’s room, I overheard the maids talking, “You might need to attend him at night if you don’t want to lose your job.” The older one said to the younger maid. 

I glanced at the maids, but they just bowed their heads again before leaving. Man what the hell, I don’t need someone attending me at night. 

“Don’t leave me out, I’ll go sleep at Kelvin’s room tonight too, it’ll just be like a sleep over.” Carlo said.  

“Yeah, let’s go ask Cess and Rika, I bet they'd be mad if we didn’t invite them.” Kelvin suggested. “The rooms are very wide anyways, I bet that the 13 of us can actually fit in one room, if they’re bunk beds though.” 

“It’s a sleepover then.” I said to them. 

We called Cess and Rika over for a sleepover to which they agreed. We just lazed around Kelvin’s room as we wait to be called for dinner. Our waiting did not last long though as a servant knocked in our room and announced, “Young Heroes, the banquet is now ready, we will now escort you to the great hall.”.  

We were led to the reception area of the mansion where most of our classmates are already gathered. Some were still coming down from the second floor just like us. The knights led us out of the mansion after everyone has already gathered. 

4