Chapter 8: The Deal
72 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the deed was done, I came out of the room with my ruffled clothes and still messy hair. I left the woman on the bed with a still euphoric look in her eyes and she just laid there as she snuggled a pillow.

“Come back some other time, sir hero.” She said with a salacious grin, “You’re free to come anytime you want.”

I wanted to come back and just lay beside her, but I needed to go back to the mansion. “Yeah, I’ll be sure to comeback some other time.” I replied. “But for now, I must leave.”

I walked out of the room after bidding farewell.  I walked down the halls and admired the medieval feel and ambience of the castle, the halls were lit up by candles, natural light would’ve also streamed through the windows during the day. The decorations that I found in the halls were either paintings, tapestries, or suits of armor. The suits of armor are whole body plate armor so I’m guessing that this world would be equivalent to the late 15th or early 16th century. I continued walking until I found an open door which led to a balcony.

I stepped outside and was greeted by tall walls that surrounded the castle, and since it was already fairly dark outside, I did not see anything else. The only light sources are the braziers atop the walls, or the lamps carried around by the patrols. Down below, I could also see patrols marching to and fro keeping the perimeter secured.

I decided to go back inside since there was nothing to be seen. I still did not know the way well, so I searched for any servant. It took me a couple of minutes of walking before I found one, he offered to escort me to the mansion to which I agreed in.

While we were walking, I asked different questions regarding this world like: What country we’re in, its neighbors, state of affairs, and many more. But since there were no newspapers or cellphones to spread real time news and happenings, he was not able to answer most of my questions, but he did answer several of them. And these are his answers: we are located in the Kingdom of Einztahl, which he said is one of the biggest and strongest nations around and the neighboring countries are just small and weak. He didn’t even bother saying what the names of the countries are.

After a few more minutes, we finally arrived at the mansion and he bid farewell. I thanked him before I went inside the mansion. There were no servants to greet me when I entered, instead, I was greeted by some of my classmates, among them was Jose.

I glared at him and he jumped out of the couch and ran upstairs while screaming “please don’t shoot me!!!”

Why would I shoot him? I may be mad at him, but that’s not enough reason to just off him. WAIT! Where the hell is the gun? I tried to remember where I may have left the gun. Did I stil have it when I was runnign? Did I leave it in the gazebo? Or perhaps I left it at the infirmary.

Try as I might, I still could not remember where I might have dropped or misplaced it. In the midst of my thinking, someone smacked me in the back of my head.

“Where the hell have you been!” A voice around me yelled, when I turned around, I saw Rika fuming.

“I was at the infirmary!” I retorted.

“Oh...” She said, her anger quickly fading.

Kelvin pushed past Rika and slapped me in the back, “Good to have you back bro.” he said.

“Good to be back.” I replied. “SO, what were you guys up to when I was in the infirmary.”

“Nothing much, we were just talking.” Kelvin answered. “How about you? What were you up to?”

“DUDE! I WAS IN THE DAMN INFIRMARY!” I retorted. “What else could I have been doing?”

“Fair point, but have you seen the lady there?” He asked.

“Uhmm... No? She had her veil on.” I said, feigning ingnorance.

“Too bad mate. You don’t know what you’re missing out. Right Carlo?” Kelvin said sarcastically.

“Yeah, sure sure. Whatever you say.” Carlo replied.

“So, why don’t we go upstairs and have a talk.” Kelvin said as he pushed me to the stairs, but before I could even reach the first step. Someone called out to us.

“Dear heroes, you can now go to the castle’s banquet hall to have your dinner.”

Those of us who were downstairs quickly rushed to the doors, while those coming from upstairs were racing down. Rika, upon seeing the rush shouted, “Guys! We’re not kids anymore, please form up in an orderly manner.”

Everyone lined up and headed out in an orderly manner, the servants didn’t escort us nor did any knigt come for us this time. I guess they’re letting us explore for a bit? The servants waved goodbye one final time before they closed the door. They only gave us a few lanterns to light the way.

With Rika at the lead, we made our way towards the castle. But after just getting around a hundrer meters away from the mansion, my classmates and friends fell unconscious one by one until I was the only one left standing.

I rushed to the closest one and tried to shake them awake, but to no avail. “HELP! HELP!” I started yelling. Not long after, I heard heavy metallic footsteps coming near me. I turned around and saw a patrol rushing to where we were.

“What’s happening here!” one of them shouted.

“It’s the heroes.” One of them recognized us.

“They’re knocked unconscious.” Another one said as he checked on my classmates.

“Wait a minute, you’re the hero that killed Heinrich.” A guard said after examining me, “First you kill Heinrich, and now you backstab your companions!?”

“No- I...” I said as I tried to stand up, but someone tackled me and pinned me to the ground.

“Hero or not, you’re coming with us.” The one pinning me down said. “You will be taken to the King and the Court Mage for trials.”

“Wait I didn-” I tried to plead my innocence, but they gagged me with a cloth around my mouth, “mmmph- ffmp-”

“Shut the fuck up!” Said one of the guards before kicking me in the stomach.

“GUHMMPF-”

“Hero my ass.” The guard said as he spat on me before a pair of guards picked me up and bound my limbs with rope. I tried to fight back, but they were stronger than me and I was just beat up one-sidedly.

After getting bear up, I was carried and taken into the castle. My classmates and friends outside were also carried one by one by the servants that the guards called.

They carried me around until they finally stopped in front of a door. One of the guards knocked and when permission to enter was granted, the door opened, and I was suddenly thrown inside. I rolled around only coming to a stop when I hit something hard. I was facing the floor and could not turn over since my limbs had all been bound.

I sstruggled turning over until someone removed the ropes, I stood up and was face to face with the King and Mr. Antonius. I immediately fell back to my knees again and pleaded my case, “Your Majesty, I did not do whatever they are accusing me.” I said with my head bowed down.

“Stand up, hero.” The King said, “I believe what you’re saying.”

“I swear I did not- wait, huh?” I was dumbfounded as I looked up to the King, “Wait, you believe me?”

“Yes. Rise, hero.” He spoke.

Mr. Antonius even lent me his wooden staff which I used to pull myself up. Mr. Antonius even led me to one of the seats and urged me to sit down, which I did. The King stood there across the table, and he just had his eyes glued to me.

“Let’s hear the wholel story.” said the King and Mr. Antonius sagely nodded in agreement.

I began to retell everything that happened in that short span of time.  They just listened to me until I finished retelling everything. After I told them everything, the King only nodded and let out a faint, “I see.” Mr. Antonio also just nodded his head again.

“Based on everything that you told us, I find you innocent.” The King said. The King made his way towards me and stopped behind my seat. He leaned in closer to my ear and whispered something, “But, I do want something from you.”

I gulped audibly at his words. What could he want from me? My mind raced to find out what the King wants from me, but I can think of nothing. I became nervous and my heart started to beat faster than normal.

The King then placed his hand on my shoulder before moving away, “Your weapons, I want you to make weapons for me.”

He went back behind the table and opened a drawer, he reached in and brought out a gun. He laid it on top of the table and gently pushed it towards me.

“My gun?” I asked in confusion.

“A gun, so that is what you call that.” The King replied, “So, can you give us more of this ‘gun’?”

“I-I don’t know...” I answered, “The guns just suddenly appeared when I was in mortal danger. I really don’t know how I got one.”

“Mortal danger?” The King said with an inquisitive glint in his eyes. “Antonius!”

“As you wish, my Liege.” Mr. Antonius said before aiming his staff at me. Small bolts of lightning formed at the tip of the staff. Moments later, a bolt of lightning flew off from the staff and passed by me. He repeated the process again, but this time it was aimed at me.

[Drop to the floor... NOW!]

I heard the voice again, but unlike before where it was lifeless and emotionless, now it had a tinge of urgency and worry. I hurriedly dropped to the floor, and when I looked back, the chair I was in seconds ago had been completely obliterated.

I need a gun! Quick!

[Summoning Colt Model 1911 for 20 experience points...]

Lights swirled and gathered in my palm again and moments later I was once again holding a gun. I rose up from the floor and aimed the gun at Mr. Antonius. He was in the middle of casting another spell as lightning bolts were once again gathering at the tip of his staff, but when he saw the gun aimed at him, he lowered his staff.

“Enough!” The King ordered.

I also stood down and lowered my pistol, but kept my eyes trained on Mr. Antonius.

“Now, do you know how you got those weapons?” The King asked.

“Yes, I think...” I answered, “Let me try summoning another one.”

Please give me another gun.

[Summoning Colt Model 1911 for 20 experience points...]

Once more, lights swirled and gathered in my palm again until they merged into the shape of a gun and dissipated leaving behind the real gun. I gave the newly summoned weapon to the King, and he examined it. But when he started to look directly into the barrel, I stopped him. “The gun may accidentally go off and kill you, please don’t aim it at yourself.” I warned him.

He heeded my warning and put down the gun, he turned away from me and looked outside his window. “How many more can you produce?”

“I don’t know, your majesty.” I answered. “I think each one costed me 20 experience points.”

“Hmm... 20 experience points... “The king said before turning around, “Provide us with weapons and we’ll give you the xp you need, is that a deal?”

“Wait! What!?” I exclaimed, “Why would I do that!?”

“Some of our enemies possess weapons like this, bigger and much more powerful.” The King explained, “The dwarves of the northern mountains possess weapons they call Vulkan Rods that decimate entire columns of soldiers, and we have no way of defending ourselves against it. But with your guns, we may have some sort of counter to it.”

Wait, dwarves!? And based on what he’s saying, the ‘Vulkan Rod’ might be a cannon or something similar. And if I base the technology on earth, cannons of the 16th century could fire 1000 meters effectively.

“Your majesty, I think I know of the weapon that you speak of and the guns I have do not offer the same range as those.” I explained.

“I see... but I would still want you to summon your weapons for some of my personal bodyguards.” The King said. “I can offer you gold, women, and land if you agree.”

[Agree to the offer...]

What!? I was confused why the voice was telling me to accept the offer, but because it has saved me a couple times now, I decided to just wing it and follow the voice.

“I accept your offer.” I told the King as I reached out my hand.

The King was confused as to why I reached out my hand, I guess they don’t have shaking of hands after a deal here? After a few moments of hesitation, he finally reached his hand out too and we shook hands.

“I need to go check on my companions now, if you’ll excuse me.” I asked. “I’ll start giving you weapons tomorrow, if I still have some xp left.”

“You can leave now.” The King said.

“Before you leave, leave that ‘gun’ you’re holding here and take the other one.” Mr. Antonius said as he pointed towards the gun that the King picked up from his drawer. I agreed and swapped my gun for the old one.

I bowed again before heading out, once out of the room my body was assaulted with pain. Crap, I forgot that the guards beat me up a while ago. Guess, I’ll go to the infirmary again. I remembered the woman in the infirmary and with a smile in my face I started to limp towards the infirmary.

+ + + + +

After Jan left the study, Antonius took a seat and so did the King. Silence ensued for a while until Antonius finally broke the quiet.

“20 xp for a weapon like that.” Antonius muttered. “And to think that he has summoned 4 of those already.”

“80 xp, that means he’s close to levelling up already.” The King added, “But can xp really be used like that? Exchanged for some weapons?”

“I do not know, but I will ask the bookkeepers if there are any related tomes or scrolls about that.” Antonius answered.

“You do that.” The King replied.

Antonius excused himself and left the room, the King was left behind thinking how he could further use the irregular.

+ + + Jan + + +

I went to the infirmary where I once again let the woman heal my aching body, “Three times in one day, really?” she said exasperatedly. “First you got beat up and an arrow wound, second time you had several broken ribs, and now you’re beat up again?”

“It’s not my fault!” I retorted.

After getting healed, I asked about my friends and classmates, and she said that they’re already back in the mansion. Nothing happened between us that night as she hurriedly shooed me out of the infirmary.

I was on my way out of the castle when my stomach grumbled, so I took a detour and went to the banquet hall where I was only given bread. I thanked the servants there and headed to the mansion. I arrived at the mansion after a couple minutes of walking, and when I opened the doors to find my classmates laughing and eating in the reception room.

“WHAT THE HELL!?” I burst out, “I WAS FUCKIN BEAT UP BY THE GUARDS AND HERE YOU ARE EATING AND PARTYING!?”

They all stopped and stared at me, but after a few seconds of silence they just ignored me and continued their merrymaking. Even my friends did not give any sort of response as if I wasn’t there. Frustrated with the lack of response, I headed straight upstairs and locked myself up in one of the rooms. I laid in the bed and was already in the dreamland just moments later.

I woke up to the sounds of someone banging on something. I groggily got out of bed and unlocked the door; there I saw the young maid who was profusely saying sorry to me the other night. “Sir hero, the King has ordered me to fetch you. Please have your breakfast in the castle and head straight to the King or the Court Mage.”

“O-oh, okay.” I replied, still rubbing my eyes. “Be there in a minute.”

I closed the door and fixed myself up a bit, and by fix up I mean just hand comb my hair. Damn, I haven’t brushed my teeth or cleaned myself up since coming here. I looked over at the mirror to look at my face. I went out of the room where I found the maid still waiting for me.

“Please follow me to the castle.” She said with a curtsy before leading me down the stairs.

“How about my companions?” I asked.

“They’re already done, sir hero. They’re currently being trained by some of the knights.” She answered. “You’re actually the last one

What the hell? “They what? Without me?” I asked in confusion.

“His Majesty, the King asked for you himself, Sir Hero.” She replied, “I was ordered that you are to be excluded from the training and head straight to the King’s study.”

Guess making weapons gets me exempted from the training “ I see, lead me to the banquet hall first then.”

I was led to the castle and into the banquet hall where a simple meal was prepared for me which I consumed before going to the King’s study. I knocked on the door and was given permission to enter.

The King and Mr. Antonius were already there waiting for me. “We’ve been waiting for you.” Mr. Antonius said.

“You can begin summoning your ‘guns’ and when you run out of xp we will give you some source.” The King said.

"Yes, your majesty." I replied with a bow  before sitting down in front of the King.

5