7 Baron
91 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Standing upright, peering over his nose and down onto the errant first born that continued to tarnish his good name over and over.

The same grey eyes staring right back at him, dressed in a oversized tunic unbefitting of a noble, whilst also entering into his study with blood-stained leather boots. A dominating pressure naturally exuded from the baron, an aura that made all knights and maids loyal to the man unable to watch as their eyes lowered to the ground.

Artemis, who had remained entirely curious, felt his heart beat and thump as the man before him was apparently his biological father. Unsure of how to feel or how to act, as he could still clearly remember the face of his real parents back on Earth. The baron backhanded the young-boy across the cheek, staining it in red as his rings tore through skin.

The pain struck him two-fold, as the little droplets of crimson sent his mind into fight or flight mode, adrenaline surging as his fists clenched.

"You god damn trash, in my good graces and infinite mercy, I grant you the opportunity to fight your own battles and you decide to waste the chance by swimming in wine!?-" Nicholas glared at the servants who were mere bystanders. "-Joanna, bring me my belt, and also my strongest bottle of whiskey. Everyone else, get out! Now!"

The knights and servants surged into action, as none desired to be punished alongside the skinny young boy.

 

Nicholas continued to stare at his useless first born, as the room fell into silence and his maid delivered his items before equally leaving. Artemis couldn't even hear anything anymore, rage was pounding within his head, filling his mind with the desire to fight back against someone who was willing to lay hands upon his own flesh and blood.

 

The leather belt, with its iron buckle dropped as it fell upon the carpet. Nicholas quickly pulled out a handkerchief from his breast pocket before damping it with whiskey.

Artemis winced when the alcohol content was planted upon the wound on his cheek, burning away and disinfecting any would be bacteria.

 

Before Artemis could figure out what exactly was going on, he found himself embraced by the much taller man, as hands began to pat his back in apologies.

 

"I'm sorry my son, whilst it is true that I sent you there to fight your own battles, you must understand that it was all for your own good. You are no longer considered a child, you're a man now, and thus you must act like one, or learn to become one. Just as I once did, you need to build your own legacy, collect your own merits and achievements. Or the world will forever continue to despise you, to go against you in envy of our family name and the history we have."

 

Rather than speaking as his biological son, Artemis spoke as an individual who held notions from modern-day society.

 

"How could you send a young kid to fight a battle? It was no different than a war!" "Aren't children meant to be protected and cared for!?"

 

Changes of emotions swept the baron's regal face as he recalled his own childhood.

"Son, by the time I was your age, I had already collected over a dozen military-merits, be it against beasts, monsters, bandits or soldiers. By the time I fulfilled my noble-obligation of entering the military academy, my name was already known and spoken within taverns.

I have personally seen how harsh reality is, for those noble scions who are all bark and no bite."

 

"So, because you went through such a crappy childhood, I also have too?"

 

Nicholas raised an eyebrow, as his firstborn had hardly ever spoken back to him, let alone held eye-contact for so long. "Perhaps sending him to defend the castle was the correct choice, he appears to be taking his first step to manhood already."

 

"Listen, you should consider yourself lucky that you had a hundred of my best knights and soldiers to fight alongside you. The sons and daughters of commoners and serfs, just to reduce the quality of harassment at the academy, they are sent out with only their fathers who are farmers or labourers to hunt goblins. All so that they have a kill to their name. Now imagine how good you had it boy.

In fact, if we twist the story a little, we can frame your successful defence, and credit it to your intelligence. Since... No one would buy it if we credited it to your swordsmanship." 

 

Now, it was Artemis' turn to raise an eyebrow, as his memory was clear as day, as to how he had managed to survive by the teeth.

 

"Now now, just leave it all to me. Now do me a favour and keep your head down as you leave. The walls have eyes after all..."

Being shoved by the back out of his study, he was left with questions unanswered, puzzles, riddles that were weird.

 

"My lord, please, let us return to your room, so I can take a look at your wound..." Melody's pale hand hovered just before his cheek, but never made physical contact as it was current inappropriate due to the surrounding maids eager to enter the study.

 

"Yes, lets. Lead the way." When everyone else was out of ear-shot, and he was seated on a bed that was apparently his. He ignored the lack lustre furniture of his room that was at the very least spacious. "Melody, do me a favour and bring me books, make the topics broad and far-ranging, information and knowledge that someone in my position is expected to know."

 

"B-but, let me look at your wound first!" Since they were in private, the maid refused to take no for an answer as she snatched the blood-soaked handkerchief from his cheek and out of his hand. It was there, that she paused in surprise as there was no wound at all. No cut to stitch or disinfect, no soreness to speak off, with only a little red liquid that was easily wiped clean, there was nothing.

 

"I'm fine see... I need the books, go."

She failed to form any words, being ushered out, she put a spring in her foot as she went down the hallways.

 

 

 

 

 

..

 

 

 

 

 

Once the maid's footsteps were long gone, Artemis also inspected himself upon a mirror, gently touching the cheek that was once wounded.

"Was that really whiskey he used on me?"

4