4: Lyrica
53 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Deidre and Leannan arrived at the long windedly named fight club, and entered as quietly as they could manage. The interior was a small restaurant on one side- a local eatery that had struck a deal, and a large dirt area with stadium seating around it. On a far wall, a bracket was drawn with chalk on the stone wall, now finished with some nobody as the champion. The announcer as they entered announced the area open for free fights, if they had the pass.

"You see Lyrica?" Deidre asked.

"No, not over in the restaurant." Said Leannan.

"Let's go down and ask some of the crowd shall we?"

The two made their way down the wooden stairs to the dirtier side of the building. Strong, fit men, women stood around, some being treated to by the on hand nurses in their white uniforms, blood still soaked on their clothes. The smell was harsh, and Deidre was trying to control her desire to test her blade. Nothing better than a fight where you can spill blood. 

Deidre made her way over to a ring official, identified with the red tricorn hat her father had made the official uniform despite everyone's protests and asked: "Hello, good sir. Would you happen to be aware if a person by the name of...", Deidre returned her eyes back to Leannan who was running back up to the restaurant. She decided against yelling for her to get her some beer, then deciding to indulge herself her before asking for the main target. Rather have you seen anyone here with dark brown hair and green eyes and thick eyebrows, around five four-ish?"

The man stared blankly, "Who? I don't know anyone who matches that description. Kind of sounds like.. Nah, they died a while back and their kids got whisked off."

"Oh is that so." She frowned a little.

"Eh, if anyone knows it might be Lyrica. I'll call her over."

Deidre eyes widen at this luck. The official yelled for Lyrica.

  Lyrica, same as described by Leannan ran up, sweat glistening off her body, "Harold! Hey, what's the issue?"

"This lady here is asking around for a dude. Dark brown hair, bushy brows, green eyes. Very descriptive stuff. You know any?"

Lyrica's face grew annoyed, which only increased when she turned to look at Deidre. "Oh, Lady Kaga. Of course you're here. I am sorry though, Lyre is dead. After all Brio killed him right?"

"No, or rather perhaps not. Apparently he left him alive." She replied. Of course that rumor would have reached back into the hometown.

"Oh no, by then Lyre was already dead in a sense."

"What the hell does that mean?"

"Ask the asshole that never leaves his office."

"I think you're just messing with me. Keep it up and we can settle it over there."

"Deidre, look at my eyes. I'm not lying. After all, he was killed by Brio was he not? That's what all the records and stuff say. So, accept the death and leave. I really don't think you want to explain to Lara how you lost a fight to a girl a foot shorter than you."

"Again, keep it up and we fight." She was getting annoyed at this point.

Lyrica laughed and shook her head. Then smiled as she turned to the judge, Harold. "Well? Can we?"

"Uhh, are you sure you want-" 

"Shush. If she wants a fight, then she'll lose right here."

"Lose? I don't see a caster on you and you don't look fit enough to take me."

"I mean I'm pretty sure that I have never lost to you, so to claim victory for yourself off looks alone seems weird."

"And you've beaten me?"

"This you? Well, I will."

Lyrica walked calmly over to a small dirt rectangle, one of five arena for fighting. Deidre walked over and glared. The other girl left for a nearby locker, one that was marked Lyrica P. and pulled out a what looked like a well worn practice spear- or was it a lance? Deidre couldn't remember which was which- with the trademark blunted tip.

"Are you not taking me seriously Lyrica?" Deidre asked.

"Oh, I'm taking you too seriously. After all anyone else and it'd take you seriously and not keep up this little  joke."

"What joke? That my target is dead?"

"Pffft. No." Lyrica said chuckling a little.

Harold walked between the two. "Okay, ladies. Only rules are no cutting off limbs on purpose and not brutalizing corpses. Oh and no outside help." He turned his attention to Leannan who had some breadsticks and dip. "You're with her right? Take these smelling salts."

"Wuh? What for?" She turned to Deidre. "Why are you fighting our girl?"

"For being a lying bitch."

"I haven't lied."

Leannan put her head in her hands, "Can you just calm down and think yourself out of this?"

"I cannot." Deidre pushed the younger girl aside. Someone was gonna bleed. Lyre being dead was fine but even if her orders were worded like that she knew well that Brio wouldn't have had the heart to kill him and if she had to kill this girl to calm down so be it. There would be another guide to the native lands somewhere.

Harold told them to take positions and then yelled, "Begin!"

Deidre drew her swords and crossed them together. "I am Deidre Kaga, and I will have you be serious or you shall eat your lying tongue."

At her name Harold jumped a little. Eyes wide he turned to Lyrica, who was probably supposed to also announce herself but instead spoke thus: "Waste of cool line, Deidre."

Deidre scowled and ran at Lyrica, slashing with both blades. The girl calmly sidestepped and poked her side gently. 

"Well, good try."

Deidre's brow furrowed. "Good try? What? You barely touched me."

"Five seconds. Seriously, you've seen this weapon even."

"What are you on?" She raised her sword into the chest of the motionless and unguarded local girl. "You trying to lo- trying to- to- to..." Deidre's eyes blurred, her swords dropping out of her hands. He mouth felt dry, her ears were buzzing. She stumbled around trying to retrieve her weapons. She couldn't- what was happening. She- where- then, the thoughts jumbled- mind slowed. And with an overly dramatic flop, she lay fainted in the dirt.

"The match is over." Declared Harold, moving aside for Leannan. "Seriously, weapon check is a thing..." He grumbled walking away.

"Well, that couldn't have gone worse for her." She said pouring the salt on Deidre not understanding how to use it.

"Trust me Leannan, it could have." Lyrica smiled.

"Oh, really?" Leannan paused, mind realizing something that Deidre did not. "How do you know my name?"

Lyrica giggled, "Oh, man you asked? I owe my aunt money now."

"Your aunt?"

"Yep, from the capital. She loves talking about you."

What weirdo lady was telling her niece about Leannan? What weirdo lady even knew about her? "Well, you've already been introduced to Deidre Kaga the Fainted. And you seem to know me, Leannan Sioga. We have a fact checker called Lara  in an inn but she is probably passed out by now. We heard you could guide us around the tribe's land."

"Yep. I'm your girl. We can start heading over tomorrow afternoon, if you want."

"I know you might be busy- wait, really? Just like that?"

"Well, yeah, I haven't much better to do. Plus I suppose it would technically be for family."

"How so?"

"Oh, right. Sorry." Lyrica brushed off the dirt on her and smiled, "My name is Lyrica Protothea, nice to meet you."

Leannan stared blankly, before from the ground came a loud and shocked, "What!"

2