11: Bridging
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Brio bit his tongue as he listened to Leannan complain about her fifteenth interrogation over the failure of the Pact. It was getting real easy for him to know exactly what she would complain about at this point and in what words as well.

Isolde giggled, "I suppose you miss my interrogation at this point, dear."

"I cannot believe it, but I am."

Deidre nodded sagely, "Yep, Isolde's the only of any of the council that has a lick of personality at all when it comes to official affairs."

"Still... we depart in a few days, I wish they'd hurry it up."

"They can take as long as they want." Deidre responded.

"Still upset that you weren't selected to come?"

"No, I just love being stuck to parade around empty halls. I hate being alone."

Isolde interjected, "You'll have me to keep you company, dear."

"No offense, Lady Isolde but I'd feel better if you had agreed to go with them."

"I would have, but I have business and experiments here to attend to. Also I'm expecting a visitor, the day Brio and Leannan are to reach the Tune Somnia."

"Is it the lady who you met after our interrogation?" Asked Deidre.

"No, though this one does work with her."

Brio cocked an eyebrow, "What lady are they speaking of?"

"Oh, a friend of mine. I think you'd best know her by the mononym Hazel."

Leannan jumped up, "Hazel? How old are you to be friends with someone who wrote books hundreds of years ago."

"Oh, me? I'm only sixty-three or so. Hazel is... around three hundred and thirty I believe."

Deidre raised her hand, "Ah, who is Hazel and why is someone that old still around."

Brio cleared his throat happy to use the knowledge he absorbed from school to teach Deidre something, "Hazel is a demigod, the last living one. The last child of the Free Gods. She's been a wandering myth for a while, and is responsible for some of the most revered works of fiction and non-fiction. Not to mention a master at all forms of magic."

"Dear me, I'm glad Hazel isn't here- she may not act like it but she is weak to such praises."

"So, Lady Isolde is friends with a demigod?"

She laughed, "Well of course, she knew my great grand parents personally. Without her my family would never have learned the secrets of magic required for my position."

"And who is this employee of hers that you expect a visit from." Asked Brio.

"An apprentice of hers and mine in a sense. She'll not be here long, if all goes well."

"I see." Brio nodded.

"Now let's begin the business, dears. I need you to just make sure the details are right, so any wording issues from the multiple interrogations or misunderstanding there from can be cleared up. First, did you have help with retrieving the key?"

"We had a local tribe help us find the caves, and used the help of the target to get through them as well." Deidre responded.

Isolde gave a nod, "You mentioned you dropped the target in a cage after using a rune to control them. How far down would you guess they fell?"

Leannan thought for a moment. "Enough to cripple if not kill."

"And were they either?"

Deidre answered this, "They could move well enough to sneak up on us and kill Lara."

"Yes, so we can assume one of three things, the pit isn't a deep as you thought, the cage landed in a softer piece of ground or the target had protection that you had overlooked."

"Unless someone had runes drawn on her, I doubt the last one."

"Okay, next. Did the target mention Cysgod?"

"Yes, she called us 'dogs of Cysgod' and seemed to know of our mission."

Brio interrupted, "The target was from the empire, so it is possible they learned it before leaving. The missiom. The Cysgod part is weirder."

"Noted. We will look more into that. Speaking of the target, you mentioned she said she had correspondence with Lady Galahad, correct?"

"I... assume so? That is what my brain is telling me."

"That appears to be a lie, Lady Galahad claims to not have done anything of the sort and the messenger route logs lack anything to that general area."

"She sure knew a lot for someone with no information."

"Yes, which is why the council is searching for spies among us."

Brio shook his head, "What use would a spy be if they gave information to a person who has no use for it? I mean they lived in Aria for twins sake."

Isolde shrugged, "You have no proof the target didn't sell information for her own gain."

"I suppose not, but I doubt it. No tabloid stories or gossips have popped up lately that can't be explained by the usual means."

"Well then, I'll finalize the report." Isolde stood up. "Leannan, Brio, come with me." The High Defender and his adopted cousin left the room, leaving Deidre to herself. 

She stared down at her blade, remembering how good it felt to slice the target in twain, how easy it was to end her life. How quick and effortless. Though if somehow she were to rise up she doubted she could kill her again. As to why, she couldn't say, but it might have to do with the thrill being lesser the third time around. Or maybe she wasn't entirely as her mother was. Maybe she... no, she didn't even know the target. That pain was just heartburn, yeah heart burn.

She stood up and made her way to Bridget's who began uncorking a fresh cask when she saw her walk in. The patrons already there moved away from the Bloody Knight as she sat down and placed her head on the table.

"I hear you've been placed on guard duty, sad affairs when they don't even need the famed Deidre Kaga to help them."

"Oh ho? Who spilt the expedition to you?"

"You uppers really underestimate the flow of information? With all the planning involved, it's little wonder I know- workers have loose lips and looser wallets when guzzling fresh brews."

"I see."

"So, are you worried about your boyfriend?"

"As I have said, I don't care for any of the men I know or any man. I am slightly worried about Leannan though..."

"Oh? The Rune girl? What for?"

"Oh, state business and stuff. There was an issue and I'm concerned, just a bit, that it's a bigger issue that people are acting like it is."

"Uh huh, and yet this old gal can tell you have more on that heart and mind of yours than a pretty damsel in distress."

"You're barely forty Bridget. And you would be correct."

"What about? Love troubles? The incidents around the empire? If you left the fire lit in the oven at home?"

"I wish my thoughts were on love troubles or the happenings. Just the results and victims of my last mission."

"Say no more. It's good to have a conscience and guilt in your line of work, no matter what they might say."

"Thanks," Deidre pushed her stein towards Bridget to refill "Anyways, how are you?"

"Me? Oh, I'm good. Good business, good health, good life. It's pretty easy being a barkeep up in this level. Hate to be like one of those in the lower section. Hear one of them had a fellow die from his organs erupting. Oh, speaking of odd deaths, you hear they think that missing captain was that pile of sludge?"

"Really? What could reduce a man to that?"

"Well some of the more unsavory folks are saying its Natural Magic, though the most popular one is that it was done with Rune magic."

"The wanderer?"

"No, most people think this is a new User all together. After all the wanderer is pretty peaceful."

Deidre nodded sipping on her newly filled stein, "I'll have to discuss that rumor with the High Defender. Can't have a murderous Rune User."

"You mean, the empire can't have a rune user in the empire who isn't under their control."

"Ha, I suppose both are right."

"By the way, haven't seen the other girl you went with around. Where is she?"

Deidre placed down her stein and looked at it. She hadn't gone with anyone but Leannan, right? Right.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Leannan relaxed onto the bed, as Lyrica stood by the door, ready to leave. "Are you sure you know the plan?"

"Of course, you've told it to me enough." Leannan said.

"And the wording?"

"Yes, oh my twins, I understand what the Boss wants done, stop asking."

"Well, excuse me for worrying about the plan being done by someone who has never done it alone before."

"Maybe it was because you were doing it, that it failed so often."

"Or maybe it was because of you and the rest."

"If it was me, why did you still fail before me?"

Lyrica shrugged, "Look at this point, I've given up figuring out how and when the plan fails. Hell, I've given up asking Boss about what comes after this part of the plan."

"There's a part after this?"

"Apparently."

Leannan gave a single chuckle, "Well, I guess we should both hope all goes well then. That means you too."

"Oh, yeah like my job is hard to mess up. The target could walk into a bear trap while looking down at the ground."

"You're over exaggerating a bit, no?"

"No, no I am not." Lyrica pushed open the door, "Ah, right." She walked over to Leannan and whispered something in her ear.

"Okay, yeah. I can do that. But does the Boss-"

"No. This is something I need done, a promise I made."

"I understand. Better hope all goes well then."

"I trust you'll do better than me." Lyrica smiled.

"Thanks, Ly." 

Lyrica picked up her bags and left, leaving Leannan to close the door behind her. 

One week to go.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Mors felt the carriage ride rough on the dirt road, jerking her up and down, up and down, up and down. Her face slid on the window pane, as she watched the forests of the empire rolled past. The Tune Somnia grew further away with each turn of the wheels. 

"Ah, yes, Mors why don't you go bloody be a diplomat to the Empire, to ensure our wish has a failsafe, while us old men go and meet a real goddess, Twins-dammit. Rabo, do they not realize who else will be making a wish?"

Rabo nodded, not looking up from his feet. "Of course, my lady. They just don't care about the Empire's wish. After all, the Empire is not that kind of adversary."

"I certainly wouldn't call them an ally."

"Of course, but you know how they are. The Emperor would still allow them their titles if the Empire took them over. That's all your fellow nobles care about."

Mors glared at Rabo. "Oh, and you're fine with this?"

"I have my opinions, but they matter little to anyone but myself."

"I care."

"I know that, Lady Mors. But you are an aberration, and not one with power. After all, I am only in this carriage because you are."

"I know. And you're only with me still because I..."

"It was my choice. When she left, I hurt for days, weeks, even now I miss her- but I stayed because I have more reasons to be here than her."

"Yeah. I understand that. But why stay with my family?"

"Only place I've known. My fellow servants are my family. And in Ruskalyka, you know the saying."

Mors gave only silence in response as she returned to the sights outside her window, but this time from the side opposite to Rabo. Besides them road a woman on a horse, keeping a pace with the two horses that pulled the Doch's ornate personal carriage along. There was something familiar about the face in profile, but Mors was at a loss to who she was being reminded of. 

"Bit odd for two people to be taking this path to the Empire's heart."

"Four people, Rabo. You and the driver count as well."

"You know what I mean, my lady."

"You are right. The people around here don't often need to visit the capital, and if they did they'd likely not do it on a backroad like this."

"Wonder what business the rider has?"

"I am sure they are wondering the same about us. After all this carriage is rather ornate for this road, no?"

Rabo smiled, "Well, wouldn't do to have Lady Morsdea Doch arrive in anything lesser."

Mors rolled her eyes, "Yes, of course. I do love being noticed, after all that's why I keep agreeing to be a spy."

"Oh? I thought it was you wanted to travel. Like Owens, or Zurah."

"Ha. Owens only travels within his own borders and Zurah- well, I suppose I was jealous of her freedom."

"Freedom at the cost of a stable home for her to rest in when she grows weary of the world."

Mors's eyes flicked downwards for a moment before she returned to the rider's window. She placed her forehead onto the thin pane of glass and felt it go from an unnatural coldness to a warmth that matched her own. Her eyes closed and her breathing slowed. Her body began to slowly slide down onto the seat as her limbs grew limp. A few unsuccessful attempts to raise her heavy head back up were made before she seemed to give up and let her head rest on the corner between the carriage walls and the seat she laid on. Rabo waited until he could hear the rhythm of her breathing as it should be before tossing Mors's own coat over her. And then he too closed his eyes, just to rest them, and drifted into peaceful slumber.

---------------------------------------------

Drago blew a puff of smoke into the air that made Brio choke and cough loudly, the sound echoing through his office. He glared at his pet lizard, threatening it with a return to the cage if it didn't behave, to which the dragon seemed to release another puff of smoke in defiance. The high defender ignored that and continued on with his work. He had been far too busy with the new inductions and planning for the bigger plan that he had accumulated quite a backlog of paperwork. It was menial stuff, that barely took time to do, it was just Brio had managed to collect two weeks' worth of work on his desk and with each one he found his mind getting harder and harder to focus. 

Plans for supplies, for parade guards, for all sorts of things that passed or were sent away with a few strokes of his quill. He did find the request for more bodyguards in the lower bars funny. That one the Cysgod Enforcers had offed really must have put a fright into the lower classes. He chuckled at their misplaced fears before flipping to the last of the papers. A request for a few guards at the arrival of a representative from Ruskalyka. 

"Oh? Morsdea? Odd choice to send a Rune User for a diplomat. Must really want something if they're going to risk an asset as valuable as Doch, don't you agree Drago?"

His small winged friend grunted in response, having taking up on top of a bookself.

"Ah, yes I suppose it won't matter. I likely won't be here- and on the off chance they sent her here to start a war, well... Cysgod be blessed."

Drago being a dragon and not capable of understanding human speech simply tucked his head in and puffed smoke once more.

Brio shook his head, before approving the guards at Mors's arrival. Deidre and Mors would have been fun to watch. Deidre... He felt bad she was stuck here- especially since he was pretty sure she'd be worried sick over Leannan. Sure Brio would fear for his little sister as well if the positions were reversed but Deidre had gotten closer to the secret Rune User, they were arguable as close as friends as Deidre and Lyrica had been.

Lyrica... huh. His sister. Who he had just killed for a second time. Why now did her name come to him? He could remember not knowing it, the fog of the mind that came when Cysgod removed knowledge from a person. But why now was it being returned to him? Perhaps, Lord Cysgod needed his mind clear. Not that it mattered. Oh well.

A knock at the door, and in entered a guardsman who dropped a thick stack of papers onto the High Defender's desk. 

"Excuse me?"

"From Lord Galahad. That trip you all are taking requires a lot of forms and such. Basic stuff, he claimed. He also said he expects all the signatures and such done by one before midnight." The guard replied before hurriedly backing out the door closing it with an accidental slam.

Brio hated his uncle sometimes.

____________________________________________________________________

Mors sighed, stepping out of the carriage. The rider had entered the local inn before them, the only respectable rest area in the small town. It was run by some local baron who had a sizeable mansion in one of the woods for some Twins forsaken reason that Mors would not bother to ask about. Rabo, knowing Mors would head to see the rider- the girl was unable to leave things like that alone- grabbed their luggage and told their driver to wait until the morning before heading inside to see about a room.

Mors swore that she recognized the rider, and only a clearer look at her face would determine that. And also because regardless- a cute girl was a cute girl. In a friendly manner of course. She entered the inn and asked a member of the staff if they had seen where the last girl to enter had gone after checking in. The butler looking servant pointed Mors to a rather large pair of doors, behind which was the "Ralph J. Reynold's Memorial Library" and a sign that read: "Not dead just to his father." Mors thanked him and she made her way into the library. 

A few patrons wandered around the eight shelf library, sat reading or chatting at tables, or just stood in a single spot spacing out at nothing at all. Mors looked around for only a second when she spotted the rider. She was sat at a table, calmly reading a book that Mors couldn't see a title for, flipping through the pages at a rapid pace. Mors strode over to her and coughed. The rider looked up and cocked her head. Mors began:

"Greetings. I am Morsdea Doch, and earlier you were of the ride against my carriage, and you were familiar to me somewhat. Tell name?"

The rider seemed to laugh, "I can speak Ruskalykan fine, Morsdea. And rude, I thought I left a better imp- ah right, I don't think I told you my name back then. Not that it would be helpful, after all I did leave the Empire afterwards for a while. Lyrica Protothea by the way."

"Lyrica? Wait- back in Aria you- but how?" 

The girl smiled, "Oh, you heard of my tragic and untimely passing? Well, not mine obviously. But how? Well, hmmm. Nah, boss wouldn't want me discussing that. And yes, I was aware of you spying on me. The foliage wasn't as thick as you thought."

"Where had we met before?"

"The Dominus's party. I destroyed half of a castle tower with your help."

"That was you. You certainly look different. In a good way of course."

"Thanks? So, what would a Rune User from another country be doing here?"

"I am not under liberty to discuss."

Lyrica shrugged, "Oh I can assume correctly regardless of if you speak on it or hold your tongue."

Mors pulled a chair out and sat across from Lyrica, "Why is a dead woman walking the same path as I?"

"Oh, I have a part to play. Boss says so. Trying something new, though... hm. Yeah I guess it's fine to improvise. Mors, a pleasure. I need to rest. By the way, when you get to the capital, tell the Bloody Knight, hello." Lyrica bowed and left Mors to herself until Rabo came to collect his young mistress.

1