13: Improvisation and Engagement
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leannan and Brio sat in silence on their horses as they marched. The procession of royals and guards looking likely more fit for war than a quick trip to a common vacation spot. After all, that was all they were doing. Or so did the official story go. They had left the city not an hour before, Deidre flipping the two of them off as they left. 

Prince Salem rode up beside Brio. "High Defender, you hold yourself on this horse much better than your cousin."

"I can hear you, Prince Salem." Leannan replied.

Brio glanced over at her, "If you can hear, then fix that posture. You look like you're trying to hug the horse."

"Hey, let me ride her as I desire. Who cares about posture, no one is around to see us right now."

"The twins are always watching." Prince Salem chastised her. 

With a few choice words Leannan repositioned herself in the saddle and straightened her back. Riding was easier the other way.

"So, Prince Salem, how went your stay?"

"Excellent. Father's Castle is quite comfortable. Have you ever stayed?"

Brio shook his head. "I haven't been, let alone stayed. The Emperor rarely invites the other royals to visit him."

"Yes, that does seem like father. From what little I've seen of him."

"And how was the capital." 

"Disgusting, to be honest. The lower levels are much too dirty and full."

"Yes, I have heard that from many a royal. We've discussed adding more walls but with the disputes between us and the colonies, the price of materials is much too high."

"Well, I sure hope the dispute settles fast. The health of the city would improve greatly with more tangible divides."

Leannan bit her tongue. Royals were always like this. Unable to care for the people they were supposedly given the divine right of the twins to lord over. She wanted to call the High Defender and Prince, soulless ghouls who only cared about their own self-interests, soulless golems with no concept of humanity. Leannan, caring much about having a head, refrained from voicing any displeasure in her head and road forth with the rest of them.

"I notice Lady Isolde is not with us." The Prince remarked.

"She had a guest to accommodate." Brio explained.

"Oh? For the Ravenpact to forgo this trip, that guest must be important indeed."

"Apparently an apprentice of Hazel."

"Oh? The wandering demon has a new apprentice. If I had known, I'd consider staying behind myself. Not often one of her apprentices appear."

"I think that Lord Kaga and my uncle would have tied you up on your horse and made you go regardless. After all without your word, as highest available member of the royal line of sucession, our dream cannot come true."

"Yes, of course." He paused. "That guard you were with? Did she not come?"

"No. Ruskalyka is sending their Rune User as diplomat."

"Morsdea? I haven't seen her since the Dominus."

"Likewise."

"Still, I find it questionable the leaders here decided to keep the Bloody Knight at home when they are aware of possible hostility."

Leannan laughed, "I assume they think us three rune users will be enough. After all, of the eight rune users half of us are accounted for."

"They'd be correct, but I'd rather make any fight as simple as possible."

"Deidre is probably better off not coming. She was starting her regret stage. The one where she gets upset over someone she killed."

"Twins, don't tell me she doing it for my sister."

"Yeah, who else."

"Doesn't that make you jealous? That your only friend is that upset over someone else?"

"Why? She's my friend and Lyrica is dead."

Brio chuckled, "I suppose so."

________________________________________________________________________

Mors watched the carriage roll into the city happy to be past the steep path up to the side entrance. Lyrica had put on a cloak with the hood up as they approached the city. Rabo had begun gathering the luggage from under the seats, placing them on the floor in front of him. The guards saluted as they turned into the stables, before opening the door for Mors. Mors was helped out by a maid who directed her towards a path up to a rather expansive building, probably the Academy she had heard much about. Lyrica jumped out after her, landing softly without kicking up any dirt. Rabo followed after carefully treading down each step, heavy luggage in each hand. The attendants offered to help him which he graciously accepted, following them towards a servant's path to the Academy.

Up ahead a somewhat tall, muscular blonde girl with hair flattened by sweat waved at the Ruskalykan diplomat and her hooded attendant. She wasn't Mors's type but she wasn't bad looking. The guard gave a salute as Mors approached, "Deidre Kaga, at your service."

Lyrica let out a giggle. Mors glanced at her before coughing and addressing Deidre, "Morsdea Doch, I take it I will be in your care?" She said, casting a rune of translation onto her neck and speaking in Ruskalykan.

"Any others with you?"

"Just my servant Rabo and..." She glanced over at Lyrica who seemed to be staring at Deidre. 

Deidre turned her head to Lyrica and blinked. It was like a connection in her head was close to going off. "State your name."

"Your name." Lyrica chuckled as Mors shook her head.

Deidre scowled, "I meant who you are."

"Oh, that. Come now, I know this is a cool hood but we haven't been separated all that long, Deidre."

"I- wait... that voice, that annoying personality. No. Deidre, come on you're not seeing a ghost."

"I'd have to be dead to be a ghost, Deidre." Lyrica said, "I swear this isn't fun to do. You never guess. So, Mors, introduce me. I'll treat all of to dinner if you do. Well, Isolde will."

Mors blinked, "Really? Fine. I need a good meal. This is my acquaintance, Lyrica Protothea."

Deidre laughed. "You must be joking. It is rude to steal the name of the dead."

Lyrica grabbed her doubting friend by the wrist, and pulled down her hood. "Twins, Deidre how does your head get denser every time? You even knew I was alive this time."

"Lyrica! But how? I killed you. I cut you in half."

"You've a- ah right, you wouldn't know her name would you. You clearly didn't kill me at the very least.

"But I killed you. I bisected you."

"You killed something that you thought was me. And in a really gross way."

Mors began to walk towards the academy, "I will leave you two alone. I care not to intrude in matters such as these. Plus Rabo will need help setting up my room. Lyrica, Deidre. I hope to see you for a meal. Rabo will tell you where I am."

Deidre bowed and Lyrica waved goodbye before she turned angrily to Lyrica, "Why are you here?"

"To see Isolde." Lyrica replied. This was already more entertaining that usual.

"Oh? And why?" Deidre asked the living dead girl in front of her.

"Boss told me to."

"Who?"

"Deidre, I know Isolde is only expecting one person."

"Yeah, and it doesn't make sense for someone with your... let's say unique magical deficiencies to be the apprentice of Hazel."

"You just learned of her, what do you know of her? Besides, magic isn't all she teaches or does."

"Ignoring that, what's stopping me from killing you?"

"The fact you don't want to, the fact Lord Cysgod has a rule that erases my crimes if I come back from the dead- which I technically did twice now, the fact you haven't yet and the fact you care for me." Lyrica winked at Deidre. Technically she had come back from the dead more than that but the trickster apparently didn't count that according to Hazel."

"Correct. I... Sorry."

Lyrica blinked in surprise. "Sorry? Huh. That's new."

"Oh, come on I've apologized to you before. I think."

"That's not what I meant. What did you regret killing me that much? I'm touched." Lyrica fluttered her lashes at Deidre, teasing her.

"Of course I regretted it, when don't I regret killing?"

"You would be surprised."

"Can you speak normally? Like less cryptically? It's weird and I don't like it."

"I guess. And thanks for the apology."

"So where will you be staying?"

"Well, I suspect uncle changed the locks and my aunt probably wants her privacy slash time to herself finally, plus I am dead to her so ummm...." She stared at Deidre eyes pleading.

"Fine. But you stay in the same room as me. Not because I don't have a guest room set up, it's just that I don't trust you."

"Oh, is that the only reason why?"

Deidre blinked cogs whirling in her head, then blushing said, "No. I missed you."

"You sure didn't act like it at the end there."

"I was on a mission and we had to get the keys..."

"I know." Lyrica looked down, this was going differently. Usually she'd be running from Deidre at this point. But things were trending towards a different path this time. Hazel wouldn't like her trying for Deidre again, but Lyrica cared too much about Deidre for her not to take this opportunity. Get another Lara in the next to go with Leannan and it would be hard for them not to win soon. Anyways, right now she should apologize. "I'm sorry, too by the way. For being a jerk, for not saying goodbye, for blaming you for what your mother did."

Deidre smiled, perhaps she could go along for now. Until the eventual orders came down. It wouldn't be to kill Lyrica, but jail here was quite bad even for ones of their social strata. "I accept your gracious apology, Lyrica."

"So, come one let's go. Isolde will kill me if I'm late."

"What about Mors?"

"She's an amazing Rune User, she'll be fine. Besides, you just got me back for the second time and you want to ditch me for another girl?"

Deidre was almost entirely crimson staring at the cocky face of the smaller girl. "N-no. I'll take you to the Ravenpact. Not that you don't remember how."

"Deidei, you are allowed to just say you want to spend time with me."

"Fine. Lyrica, may I spend time with you."

Lyrica smiled, "Of course."

"Just don't do anything unwanted to the Empire."

"Oh, it's fine. Cysgod's leader isn't here regardless."

"Cysgod has no leader."

"Funny that Hazel and I have met him then."

"You met someone who made a claim."

"If it helps you sleep at night."

Lyrica curtsied sarcastically and took the hand of the armored girl who began to lead her up the hill and towards where Isolde was.

Deidre felt like her hand was sweating a waterfall as they walked. Cysgod's blessings, what was she doing? Lyrica was... well. She supposed she had been correct about the double kill policy. The only reason she had been allowed to kill Lyrica was because they only told Brio to cut ties. The Cysgod respected those who could come back from death, no matter the method. After all that is quite the difficult thing for an ordinary human to do. That being said bringing Lyrica into where all of the people she clearly hated were, was that not treason? But still... if she could bring Lyrica back to her then she could.... She shook her head, what was she thinking. Lyrica probably didn't feel that way. Or... ugh. Perhaps she'd see how she acted while sleeping in the same room together and then make her decision on that.

The two made it inside two guards saluting as they did. Lyrica look around the building.

"Yep, same as always. Ugly and dusty. Seriously are they still understaffing the cleaning staff?"

"Unfortunately yes."

"I suppose Brioche voted against it?"

"Yeah, he really can't understand that the dust is quite unappealing."

Lyrica smiled, a good smile, not like the ones she used to threaten people. Like the one she made in the caves. "So, Deidei. How's your favorite barkeep?"

"Bridget? She's fine. Why are you asking?"

"A... hmm, well I guess an enemy of mine, is friends with her. I was mostly wondering if you had noticed her getting ready for a visitor."

"No. She's business as usual."

"Great, Lea's got to deal with her then."

"Lea?"

"I do not have the time to explain to you who that is in a way that won't confuse you, so let me just say she's a colleague of mine."

"Oh, good. Exactly who is she dealing with?"

"No one important. This is Isolde's office, right?" Lyrica said stopping in front of a mahogany door. On it was a name written in Runes was burned. 

"Yes. I suppose I should stay outside?"

"As much as I would love to surprise Isolde with you, my visit is for official business. I'll see you and Mors at lunch. Your place." Lyrica hugged Deidre who at that point should have changed her name to the Blush-y Knight. 

"Y-yeah. See you." Deidre began to walk away to clear her head. 

Lyrica entered Isolde's office with a big smile on her face, "Hey, Aunt Isolde."

"Must you call me that? And what's with the grin. I'm going to assume things are going well."

"Heh. Yes. Just don't tell Hazel."

"Deidre? Yes, the dear was quite upset over you this time. What about poor Lara?"

"What are you inferring?"

"Well, if you want both of them."

Lyrica rolled her eyes. "Let's just get to business, Isolde. Besides Deidre what's new this time?"

"Well, Lea caused Leannan to fail that branding, Zurah- the one from here is murdering people in the outskirts of the Capital's surrounding villages, and a bunch of minor things."

"Ugh, really? The one who's crazy?"

"Yeah, going to be annoying, if we fail here, to deal with her next time. I have the runes set up, all you've got to do is explode a caster."

"If I have to."

"So, Mors came here?"

"Yes."

"Hmm, that's another ally that Lea won't have."

"She'll be fine."

"Against herself?"

"Well..."

"Not that anyone is going to help in that situation."

"Yeah, Zurah, Salem, Brio, Leannan, and Boss are annoying to deal with."

"Not like ours is much better. We actually have to set things up every time. It's real tiring letting the other Leannans suffer that."

"I always come back after the Dominus, when I'm homeless."

"I really hope it's done this time."

"Well win or lose, we'll be in unknown territory."

"Oh? You told Lea to fulfill that promise?"

"I know boss didn't exactly sign off on it, but I don't actually care at this point. Can't keep trying the same thing over and over again."

"So, what's Deidre?"

"Aunt Isolde."

"Yes, I know. You two are cute together. And three as well."

"Isolde." Lyrica said red as an apple.

Isolde turned stern, "If things do go the absolute worst, are you prepared to be alone?"

"Boss really thinks Zurah is going to do something?"

"She's nearly made a wish the last few times, eventually that levee is gonna break."

"Twins. I'm sure I can handle myself on my own. What about you?"

"Oh, I'll be fine. I'm always here."

"Yeah, but you only know about things because of the boss."

"Well, regardless if you come back I'll be sure to be hospitable."

"If all goes to shit, I sincerely doubt that I'll be welcome in the Empire."

"That really just depends on the dreams. After all Boss said you were with the empire the first few practices."

"As were you."

"Just be safe regardless, Lyrica. And if it does go to shit and you come back, make sure to put that Protothea acting to good use."

"Fine." Lyrica rolled her eyes. "I'll play any role, to a limit."

"All we ask."

"By the way can you send lunch to Lord Kaga's?"

"I assume from there?"

"Well, yeah, they are the only good restaurant in the city you know." 

Isolde nodded, and dismissed the younger woman. Isolde leaned back in her chair and scowled. The Ravenpact could feel the fates telling her that this was folly. That this time, what lay beyond was not the path they desired. But she wasn't one for bending to fate, so she held her tongue and refrained think on it all that much. After all, she trusted the others to find a way out of any mess they found themselves in.

Well, mostly Lyrica. She was the one besides Hazel guaranteed to make it over to the next one. After all, Leannan was only here because she had held on to her. When all of this was done, she'd like to run tests on that quirk of hers.

Outside Lyrica made her way through the halls, hood down still, not really fearing anyone recognizing her. After all it had been long enough that she wouldn't match anyone's memories of the girl that had been here all that time ago. She danced between students traveling from class to class, tired faces showing discomfort. She made sure to be facing away from her aunt's class room when she passed, just to be safe. Thankfully, even if she had stared in through the bars her aunt was too engrossed in her lecture to even notice a vaguely familiar stranger looking in at her.

Lyrica opened an unmarked door and began climbing up a flight of stairs that reached to the living quarters on the floor above. For political visitors to the capital and students who couldn't afford a place nearby in the city. She waved at Rabo who was panting alongside Mors's luggage. 

"Don't tell me they made you use the stairs."

"Why are you asking?"

"They have a luggage lift you know."

"Oh." Rabo seemed to grow defeated at that news. "I take it you wouldn't know how to open the door. Lady Doch is likely passed out inside, and she is a heavy sleeper."

Lyrica moved towards the door and held her finger to the knob. The door exploded forward into the room. From inside a faint "huh" was heard before Mors returned to snoring.

Rabo swore in Ruskalykan as he recoiled, "What was that?"

"All these doors have a small amount of magic as a defense measure from people trying to break in."

"It doesn't seem that effective."

"Oh, no, magic just explodes like that when I use it. This door's canister was pretty full though. Usually it doesn't come off."

"So what do I tell them about the door?"

"Malfunction. Make sure Mors is at Lord Kaga's for lunch."

"Of course."

"You are allowed to come as well if you want."

"No. I feel like walking among the lower levels for the rest of the day."

"Very well." Lyrica waved goodbye before returning down the stairs. She walked past the rest of the class rooms before reaching the many meeting rooms where the Capital and Empire's official business was conducted. No one paid her much attention, she was holding herself well enough that they assumed they knew what she was doing. 

Soon she was walking down the hall with the faces of High Defenders leering down at her. She produced a key from a pocket and smiled as she heard it click. Uncle's key still worked even through resets apparently. She entered the room. It was exactly as she had assumed her brother's office would be. She moved a few books around to annoy Brioche, before opening the secret door. Brio hadn't figured out that his runes only worked in one direction. Plus if one was already aware of the path, it didn't really work. And when Lyrica was sent home after being reprimanded by her uncle for blowing up another caster, she'd often use it to get back fast.

She emerged into a sun nearly at its peak and stretched. Hill time.

Getting down the hill that connected the Academy to the mansions was the easy part, climbing up was so hellish that mountain climbers often used it to train. Lyrica moved over to the grass area to the side of the road. If she fell, grabbing weed or grass had a better chance of stopping her fall. Plus the cool branch she found on the ground near a dying tree would be helpful. She made her way up at a steady pace. Not too slow, nor too fast. Too fast and she'd slip, too slow and she wouldn't reach Deidre's until dark. Each step raised her knees to her chest, each swing of her arm to lift and plant her stick slammed her elbows near her thighs. It took around forty minutes for Lyrica to arrive on top of the hill, and fighting the urge to run back down it she made her way to the back entrance of the gated community of mansions. She avoided the guards by just climbing the gate near some trees that blocked their view of the fence.

"Home, sweet home." She thought, walking through the streets. The only people at home were servants and elderly relatives of the people who still worked to afford to live in the most expensive and luxurious part of the Capital. A few servants watched as she walked by, none waving or acknowledging her- just using the sight of a stranger in the neighborhood as an excuse to take the slightest respite from their endless work and drudgery. 

Deidre's green monstrosity soon appeared ahead of her, dark and empty. Lyrica climbed the steps, each one creaking under her weight. The knocker that she had used when younger had been replace by a new one, still shiny and golden with the helmet of a knight in the middle. Lyrica took a deep breath and knocked one time as loud and as hard as the knocker would let her. After a surprisingly short wait the door opened inward. A maid appeared and looked quizzically at Lyrica.

"Hello? May I help you?"

"Yes. Lady Deidre sent me here to help you get ready. She has a lunch with the Ruskalykan diplomat that arrived this morning. Lady Isolde has already sent an order for the meal."

"A likely story. What's the phrase?"

"You think Lady Kaga remembered to give me a word to say? She barely remembered to invite the diplomat to a lunch, to fulfill her duties as acting head of House Kaga."

"I- er, fine. You may help us set up..."

"Lyrica."

The maid cautiously let Lyrica in who clapped her hands and headed to the dining room to begin to redecorate with the maid chasing after.

________________________________________________________________________

Mors groaned and stretched as she awoke. Good nap, good nap. She went over to her chest and sighed. Not much that wasn't flashy. She picked the least garish dress and put it on, managing to almost get the back zipper up all the way. She made her way to a vanity and looked at herself. The makeup was fine, her hair however... She returned to her chest and pulled out a comb that cost more than materials of the room she was staying in combined, and began the slow and methodical process of fixing her hair. Soon her raven locks became straight and shiny, and she smiled at her reflection. As much as she hated wearing the dresses her family made her, she had to admit she did look great in them. 

She stared at her face some more, taking in the imperfections as she did. Nose slightly off center, ears unbalanced, her left pupil being slightly smaller than her right. Nothing major, but still, her parents had pushed it into her head to focus on such trivialities, to expect perfection with such fervor that her eye always found the smallest imperfections in herself to fret over when she looked at her own face and body with even a smidge of a critical eye.

She did the same with potential... suitors. Of course she immediately rejected any of the men that her parents sent her. She certainly wished for them to get it through their heads that she wasn't into men, at all. No, but the few ladies who offered her dances and walks in the gardens at balls and other such events she was forced into by her parents, they were always being criticized by that perfection seeking voice in her head. Even if she looked at a lady and felt like she would die without her, her mind would find something wrong and she'd reject her outright. She had even turned down a woman simply for not wearing her rings on the hand traditional for an unmarried woman to do so. Mors didn't even care about jewelry. She didn't even wear any save for some earrings. 

Of course even among potential friends the eye worked and worked. Faira was... actual Faira was perfect. She was exactly as her parents had told her a... ugh, that term they use was insensitive. She was as a "civilized savage" should appear. Zurah was a simple one. The freckles were a big no-no. Her mother told her that a proper lady covered freckles with powders and paint. Even men like Rabo were criticized. His unkempt hair, bushy eyebrows, and fingernails always worn down and dirty. It took all she had to not tell him off once a week for his appearance. Lyrica and Deidre... she hadn't actually looked at either hard enough for the voice to insult them in any way. Her thoughts we interrupted by the sound of knocking from the entrance to the room.

Mors spun around in her chair and made for the door. She supposed she should go see who was knocking. She gave a quizzical glance at the remains of her door as she went forward, before looking at a short man in a short suit. 

"Ahem. Lady Morsdea Doch. You have been invited by Lady Deidre Kaga, acting Head of House Kaga, to a lunch at her estate. I am here to take you up to her home, Lady Doch." The man bowed. "A carriage is ready for you outside."

Mors nodded. This was the lunch Lyrica had promised? "Yes, very well lead the way."

The man led her down the stairs and out the Academy to a waiting carriage. Mors went inside and enjoyed a short and sweet waste of taxpayer money. They passed by a gate much more functional than her parents' and soon arrived at an ugly green mansion. A maid with a face that seemed ready to strangle someone came out and with a barely existent smile, took her hand. "Lady Doch, welcome. Lady Kaga has just arrived as well. The food is however ready and getting cold. Lady Isolde order some of the local cuisine of the lowers, the bitch who informed us of this lunch told me that the Ravenpact assumed it best for a diplomat to try the cuisine of the people, so I apologize if the meal is below your standards. May I lead you in?"

Mors nodded, "Very well." And let herself be lead inside. She made her way through the entrance hall and into a dining room where a nervous looking Deidre in a red gown, red gloves and red makeup sat at the head of a surprisingly small table for the room. Beside her sat Lyrica face red as Deidre held her hand.

"Ahem, Lady Deidre, ugh, Lady Lyrica. Lady Mors." The maid curtly stated before leaving. Deidre motioned for her to sit across from them. She did so and began to gather food from the center of the table on her plate.

"What's with you two?"

Lyrica looked over at Mors, a goofy smile on her face. She started to speak when Deidre answered for her, "This idiot got this set up without mentioning she would be eating with us and with my maids thinking she was a servant so when she sat at the table they were trying to kick her out so I just kind of panicked and the first excuse that came to me mind was... well I told them see was my- my.... Fiancée." 

The two of them turned redder and then also began to fill their plates high with food.

Mors laughed, "Congrats. Lady Kaga, Lady Protothea. Which one of you will be taking the other's name?"

"Shouldn't you two be discussing business? After all, a good peace between our countries would have a strong foundation with the House of Kaga as a backer."

"I really don't think that it is necessary. Deidre can give me a decree later."

"Look the servants already are suspicious of me, can you at least make pretend that you and my... fiancée are having political discussions?" Lyrica asked.

"I suppose."

Mors began to speak like how she often observed her parents do, using words and phrases that probably sounded important and official to the maids nearby but were at best flowery and at worst nonsensical. Deidre responded in kind, but actually said things in response that were as appropriate as she could manage them to be with how Mors was talking. She had actually been trained in political discussions by her father, and she guessed some of it had sunk into her. Lyrica both not understanding anything and being pretty sure that the conversation was nonsensical nodded along, with a few noises added in to make it look like she was interested in the conversation in any way at all.

"Of course, it would be mutually beneficial to our families to be the proctors in a joint effort to combine our military forces."

"Yes, the Kaga name would hold great sway in that which you are offering, sadly my family is not that well connected in that field."

"Still, with a Doch on our side such endeavors would gain a massive boost in credibility among the Ruskalykan Nobility."

"Very well, I shall consider the offer."

"Thank you." Deidre said finishing the last of the bread, before wiping her mouth clean.

"It is my pleasure, as a guest of the Empire." Mors responded. It was time to go. She had actual meetings in the evening with some ministers. "I wish you and Lady Lyrica blessings and a happy life together."  Mors stood up and curtsied, which Deidre and Lyrica returned in kind.

Lyrica lead Mors to the door and back to the waiting carriage. "How was it?"

"The food? Great. Reminds me of some of the food my servants make."

"Good. By the way, there's a hill out the back way, kind of steep but at the end of it my brother has a hidden door to his office. It's a quicker way up. Just use these runes." Lyrica handed her a paper with crudely sketched runes on it.

"Thank you. By the way, are you actually into Deidre?"

Lyrica swallowed air and began coughing. Mors laughed and waved goodbye as she stepped into the carriage. She watched Deidre come out and drag Lyrica back inside the mansion. The sky was turning orange. Her meetings began soon.

"Driver, can this carriage take the short cut?"

"Of course, my lady."

------------------------------------------------------------

Brio sat and stared at the soldiers, laughing among themselves. Jovial despite exhaustion, glad despite having less food than the royals who seemed to be stuffing fat faces with fine dining in the middle of a field. Brio had finished eating, stuffing his stomach full like he starving. 

Leannan laid snoring in the grass on the hill behind him, having passed out the minute she had relaxed. Prince Salem was among the royals chatting it up, doing his duty as acting head of two countries.

"How are you boy?" The voice of Lord Kaga asked.

"Full, sir. And tired."

"Yes, but I expect you'll find sleep troubling to grasp. I can see it in your eyes. A nervousness that I myself had my first few expeditions."

"Well, not every day you go to see a Kir'foy'ta."

"No, no it is not." He seemed to chuckle a little at that.

"Did you wish to discuss something?"

"Can I not chat with a friend of my daughter?"

"Leannan's more a friend than I." 

"I consider them to be more like sisters. You are her friend. You can't have friendship without fighting."

"So, what topics do you with to breach, Lord Kaga?"

"Well, to be honest, first is personal. Has my Deidre taken interest in anyone?"

"No. Not like there are many she'd accept in the capital."

"Yes, yes. It's just while asleep on my horse I had a dream she was engaged. I thought it may have been a vision of sorts."

"Cysgod help the poor woman who agrees to marry Deidre."

Lord Kaga laughed, "You know, your sister, Lyrica was it? I thought she might be the one for Deidre before Cysgod declared her an undesirable."

Brio scowled, "Lord Kaga, I hear you get the honor of unlocking the path."

"Yes, Prince Salem selected me personally."

"Yes. Congratulations, and good night." Brio cast a rune and his blanket floated out of his saddlebags towards him. He tossed it over himself, head to toe and wrapped himself tight before closing his eyes. He could hear the creak of Lord Kaga's knees grow distant as his consciousness drifted away.

Lord Kaga made his way to a tent at the edge of the camp. He entered it and bowed to a man on the floor. "You called me?"

"Yes. I am going to die. This path is wrong. But it leads to our victory."

"Lord Ci'sgo'tte, are you sure?"

"My loyal servant, I have seen countless failures. This one is necessary. Zurah will kill me. I will bless the child Leannan."

"Why her?"

"She and your daughter can bring a mistake I made back to our side. With the blessed of two tricksters, Zurah's defeat will be assured and this land will belong to you descendants of my oath."

"Lyrica. She didn't die then?"

"Of course, she is Hazel's star pupil. The one who can bring others with her. As I brought you."

"I get Leannan, especially if she meets the other, but my daughter?"

"Oh, that has already begun. Did I not tell you in the dream?"

"Oh. I see. And when the reset comes?"

"She'll be unwilling to give up what she has tried for over and over, that she'll return to where she should be, with me- or rather my blessed."

"Very well. All will be as you desire Ci'sgo'tte." Lord Kaga bowed before leaving the room. 

The man looked at his hands, counting the lines. How long had he been at this? And at long last it would be his finale. Leannan would make a fine new leader, Deidre was a more capable and loyal version of her father and Lyrica, well... her blessing giver was once his greatest rival. Just as he had betrayed his people, she had betrayed hers. So it seemed only fair that her blessed should betray her savior's child. He had been setting this path up for many years, many failures, and many resets. Today all pieces held by the tension of the last threads of the old fate would snap and fall, hopefully in just the way he desired.

"All is good, and all is right. Sister, brother, sibling, I will see you soon." 

----------------------------------------------------------------

Lyrica and Deidre sat on Deidre's oversized canopy bed, the curtains closed to give them privacy.

"I'm sorry about saying you were my Fiancée, I blurted it out without thinking."

"No, its fine. I don't mind. I liked it, in fact." Lyrica replied face still red.

"O-oh, is that so? Then, I suppose it would be alright to continue calling you fiancée?"

Lyrica nodded, scooting towards Deidre. "I can play that role easily."

Deidre frowned, "You're pretending?"

"That I'm you fiancée? Yes. I mean we aren't engaged," She held up her hands and wriggled her fingers.

"I thought maybe you were... nevermind." Deidre cast her head down. Of course the daughter of an actress was going to be able to show emotions and feeling that wer-

Lyrica shook Deidre, the others girls face barely masking her hurt, "Deidre, twins, how are you this fucking thick. I meant the only reason it is easy is because I... like you. A lot. Probably more than even that even. Screw it this might not matter at all but, I love you Deidre." 

"Say that again." Deidre demanded sitting up, putting her face to Lyrica's.

"I lo- I l-l-lov- I- Deidre it's too hard to say it with your face right in mine."

"Then I'll say it. I think- no. No half measures. I love you, Lyrica. At least those are the words that best fit my feelings." 

Lyrica smiled, usually when either heard the other say those words one was mortal wounded by the other and dying as the reset came. But this was peaceful, mutual, happiness. Hazel be damned, this was the right choice. Lyrica was happy. "Twins, you stupid, impatient fool. I'm not kidding about the ring, hard to be your fiancée without one."

"Fine, I'll order one for you."

"Eh, do it after."

"After what?"

"You'll see when it happens. Now, shush." Lyrica winked at Deidre. "We need rest, after all- I'm pretty sure I'll be paraded around tomorrow by you once the maids' gossip reaches the rest of the estates."

"Right. You will be fine right?"

"I don't have any reason to actually fear so long as Lea succeeds and Ci'sgo'tte is away. And I'm with... with you." Lyrica at the last sentence pulled Deidre into the bed and covered her face. 

Deidre smiled, brain and heart racing. Lyrica was hers, only hers. She wrapped an arm under her fiancée's waist and pulled her close before closing her eyes and clapping for the maids to turn out the lights. In the dark she kissed the nape of Lyrica's neck and whispered, "I love you." Once more before letting the stillness over take her.

2