19: Order
27 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zurah smiled as she spun a knife in her hand while Nana stuffed her face. Zurah had dragged Nana into a tavern as soon as they reached the little town they were in and forced her to try actual cooked and prepared food and not the random fruits and grains Zurah had in her pack. 

"So?" Zurah asked leaning forward, "How's food on the outside?"

"I don't know, good?" Nana cocked her head. "I mean it's food."

"Come on, I know those places don't have spices, how are these?"

"I mean it has... taste? Look if you want me to... ex- um, say how it tastes, I have not the ability to do so. Like how do you describe the taste of something that didn't exist to you? What is the taste of water, Zurah?"

"Water."

"Point taken. Are you not going to eat?"

"Nah. I work better on an empty stomach."

"And what work are you doing?"

"Just a little light robbery. We need some cash to hitch a ride on a carriage or to buy some horses. Some purses here could do with being a little less bulging. Simple math really."

"Well, be careful I guess."

"I got you out of jail, I think pickpocketing is much less dangerous."

"First I got us out of jail, second just do it away from me, I do not want to have to fight someone again."

"Hey, that dude was trying to scam us, he deserved getting beat up."

"And his gang that chased us out of that town before we could even buy a horse?"

"Okay, for that perhaps I should have stayed calm but you're the one who called him creepy and set him off."

"I'll admit to that... um, so... I'll be in the room. I'm serious, don't get caught- I'd rather not be alone here."

Zurah grinned, "No worries my disciple, I'll join you in bed before you know it."

"Can you please stop saying it like that, even I know that people would take that wrong."

"Aw, cute. Well, go on."

Nana made her way out of the tavern. It was night, the stars hidden by clouds and the moon a sad yellow crescent. Nana shivered and pulled the hood on her cloak over her head. The place they had rented was across the street. She pulled out her room key and opened the door. It was a rather old place, not really insulated and without any magical amenities, not like Nana minded that at all. Nana lit a few lamps on the wall using matches Zurah had given her and laid back on the bed. It had been a bit since she had escaped with Zurah, and it was mostly just them chatting. Little moments alone like this were good for her head. Not that she didn't enjoy Zurah, it was just her personality could be overbearing. Not in a domineering way but an endearing way. 

She moved her hand up and took the wig off feeling the beginning of hair that was starting. Nana frowned, hoping that it would somehow grow faster. Zurah had tried to explain how she could only encourage growth not force it with runes- something about follicle health that Nana was bored by. It was annoying to listen to someone with such long and beautiful hair talk about why Nana's hair had to grow naturally.

Nana closed her eyes moved her hands down to her thighs feeling them again. They had a tendency to cramp and this was probably the only chance she'd get to massage them for a while without some redheaded asshole making comments about it. She could feel the tightness as she kneaded her flesh and muscles.

Her eyes closed still she began to focus, building in her mind the room. Every floorboard and ceiling-board. Every window and door. Every stand and chair. She twisted it in her head over and over until she was certain it was perfect. Then she began to think of if she needed to ever escape. Imagining the ways it may go bad or go well helped her relax. It was one of the ways she stayed focused in the prison. One of the ways she stayed from slipping into her own fantasies. She breathed in and out slower and slower. Soon she apparently faded into dreams as the next thing she knew it was the morning, Zurah's arm stretched over her like she was trying to claim the entire bed like had become increasingly normal for Nana. This time she added holding Nana like a stuffed animal, pinned between Zurah and their pillows. 

Nana slipped under her savior's arms and quickly dressed before poking the horned girl in the cheek. Zurah mouth crinkled as Nana continued her assault. Eventually the redhead having woken between the twentieth and twenty-fifth poke put Nana's finger into her mouth, sucking on it.

"Yuck." Nana said popping it back out. “Did you have to do that?”

“Would you rather me bite it?”

“Not really.”

"Morning, Na." Said Zurah combing her hair.

"Morning, Zee." Nana replied wiping finger on the bed. "I take it we have cash now?"

"Of course." Zurah flashed a heavy looking coin purse. "Enough to get us to capital and still have some left over.

"That reminds me, where's the capital from here then?"

"Oh yeah. Here." She produced a map and pointed to it.

"I know asking you questions is pointless but what exactly else are you going to do there?"

"Oh, you know. Reduce the population by about one. Maybe more if I'm unlucky."

"Just leave me out that part of it."

"Oh and what would you rather do?"

"I don't know. Sightsee? Maybe check out the local tribe."

"None left."

"Then why are they on the map."

"It is older than I am. Even then they would have been near Aria if not for Deirdre. The Sword Plague wiped most of them out. Would have gotten them all if a few townies hadn't sacrificed themselves. Well even they would have been pointless if not for the Sword Plague- well, it's a rumor but she broke when her commander told her to kill the children. It's a rumor but she apparently turned her blade on him and let the rest escape."

"The Sword Plague? Thought I'd hear of a name like that."

"Nah, she's mostly retired to the Capital. Raising her daughter. Last time anything of note happened to her was probably when that girl tried to beat up Leannan- The capital's rune user- and she fought her to protect her. The girl held her own terrifyingly well. Even gave Deirdre some scars. Of course she was given one of her own."

"I take it she was caught or?"

"No. She escaped. Or rather Leannan and her had a conversation and then the girl left- after exploding a wand factory somehow."

"Sounds like a kindred spirit to you."

"Yeah, she was cool. Not that there aren't cool people in the capital. Deidre and Lara are probably the ones I'd actively choose to hang out with but Leannan isn't bad."

"Well, I hope to meet them."

"I doubt we do. After all we're just there to do a little crime and leave."

"Are you ready yet? We should get off before the- don't say the joke you're thinking of- get going before noon."

Zurah smiled and drew a rune. The supplies piled into the corner slid towards her and the two of them loaded the horse that she had purchased the night before. Zurah took the reins as Nana hugged her waist. The rune user squeezed her legs and the horse began to walk.

"You could have bought a saddle."

"Why? I'm used to bareback. Besides you couldn't ride with me."

"Then you could have bought another horse."

"Only the one. Isn't that right girl." Zurah said leaning forward to pet the horse's neck.

Zurah felt Nana loosen the ribbon from her sun-dress and tie it around Zurah's waist as well. She then felt her lay her head on her back. Zurah smiled and squeezed the horse to get it to pick up the pace a little bit.

"What's the capital like?"

"Awful."

"So, who hired you?"

"Some anonymous person. I don't really ask."

"Don't or forget to?"

"Both." Zurah grinned, pointed teeth gleaming. "Now hold on tighter. Gonna trot to that lake ahead."

"I don't see a lake."

"Exactly why you should hug me tighter."

Nana shook her head and squeezed her companion's stomach as the horse began into what she would call a gallop but was probably just a trot.

The next few days of travel were uneventful. Soon the capital began to rise on the horizon, the vertical city with the castle in the middle surrounded by woods. It was admittedly an impressive sight, if not for the fact it made the fields and villages around it seem sad and worthless. After all it they all knew if the emperor ever got it in his head the soil of the forest would produce better yields than the rocky fields they had could and as bad as the lowers were it was better to live in the capital than an outskirt village.

Nana petted their horse and feed it an apple as Zurah leaned on the tree they had hitched it to. A few villagers stole glances at them but no one really bothered them. The two for their part weren't do anything except rest for a bit.

"So, are you prepared to enter the worst place on the continent?"

"It can't be that bad."

"To me it can be. Hate cities in general. And it's not because I'm only part human."

"I wasn't going to say anything."

"You were staring at my ears and horns."

"Because they're cute."

"That flattery excuse only works the first time."

"So where exactly are we staying?"

"Oh the academy."

"The place you're robbing."

"The place we're robbing. And yes. After all I am a rune user- so I do get granted ambassadorial privileges."

"So you're just gonna ask for a room?"

"And receive one."

"What about me?"

"Why they have to let you in- after all you are my partner. In the we work together sense not the- well not that I'd- um yeah I'll tell them we work together."

"Well, if you think that will work."

"Of course it will. I haven't been doing jobs this wrong without figuring out what works."

"So it's like what a day to the capital?"

"Day and a half, give or take."

Nana began to brush the horse. Zurah wandered into the village to buy some food. After grooming the horse, Nana sat by the tree. A man in armor approached her. 

"Greetings, young lady. Captain Fervor. Not often people bother on this route to the capital."

"Really? Rather easy ride here."

"Yes but the roads all skip the major cities. Rather boring ride."

"Oh so this town is boring?"

Fervor laughed, "No. It's peaceful. More peaceful than the barracks." He motioned over to a fort in the east. "So, visitor I take it you're after the capital?"

"Wow, what gave it away sir?"

"Any reason for your visit."

"For me? No. I'm just being drug along by Zurah."

"Oh b- excuse me did you say Zurah?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I am glad I got assigned here then. Bad luck to have more than two rune users in one area."

"How many rune users are in the capital?"

"I shouldn't tell you but since you work with Zurah, Two. The one everyone knows and another- the adopted son of Lord Galahad." Fervor thought for a moment then asked, "Heard you any tell of the prison escape on the way here?"

Nana grinned, struggling to not laugh, "I heard a bit. What have you heard?"

"A guard helped a prisoner escape. Can you imagine? And it was a prisoner of the highest security class. Heck they even managed to let multiple prisoners escape."

"I wonder if they've fixed the drawbridge yet?" Zurah asked while Nana tried to figure out how she had been upgrades to the highest security class when no one including her was above tier three. Maybe they meant highest in the prison?

"Oh you heard that rumor as well. I can't believe it. I mean those doors are thick. I've shot blasts at them from a higher caliber than a canon when I was there for training and it still would have taken more to break. Anyways, you hear of any rumors of where the prisoner might be?"

"No, none at all."

"Aw. Well, a good day to you." Fervor rode away.

"We're major news Nana, how about that."

"Isn't that a hindrance to what we are to do?"

"Please, I was wearing a hat and you look nothing like you did in the prison. We'll be fine."

"How many people have hair the same shade of red as yours?"

"Please, once I get you dressed up for the mission, no one is going to think I stand out." Zurah smiled and jumped back on their horse, pulling Nana on to it as she did so. "Just in case, guards wear casters on their left legs usually."

"I thought you were a master as this type of work."

"Yes, I'm not a master at avoiding collateral damage."

"You are frus... You are tiring, Zurah."

"Better than prison, right?"

"Better than prison."

Zurah squeezed her legs to move the horse and forward they moved, closer and closer to the Capitol.

________________________________________________________________________

Lara and Deidre sat alongside Mors and Leannan waiting for class to begin. Lyrica had invited them to sit in- after all as the official temporary legal guardians they should see the education their wards were getting. Lyrica was reading a book, feet up on her desk. It was still around fifteen minutes to the bell. Mors was studying the class syllabus while Leannan leaned back in her chair. Lara and Deidre flirted with each other. Soon the room began to fill with a trickle of people. Soon the seats were filled and Lyrica stood up. She walked over the board on the wall and coughed,

"Hello, welcome to Runes. I am Lyrica Protothea, your teacher. This would have been Mrs. Trent's class but apparently I did too well and she suggested I take over so she could retire. I see some of you failed the class last year, Harriet, Jenna. Anyway, let's just begin with the basics. What are runes? Miss Gayle?"

"A system of writing used by both the settlers and natives. Over time they merged into the modern writing system we use today."

"Great. But in this context it more means the original symbols. After all writing an 'Aeflet' isn't going to do magic for a rune user. Runes in specific are the ones used by the deities of both lands. For example, take this one- it means water. It is also the name of the Kir'foy'ta of Water. However with an erase of one line- it means water and water only. Now what else does that do? Simply put it focuses the rune. Morsdea, as a rune user I assume you can answer this. Why would you not use a rune of True Naming?"

"Because it draws on the power of the god- and without the god it does nothing."

"Exactly. True Runes as I'll refer to them from now on- the origins of most runes are mostly powerless at this point. I believe there are perhaps seven that still work- and they are heavily controlled as weapons. Just using one is akin to a war crime. But that's beyond what we are here today to talk about. For now let's discuss the basics. Now for most people writing runes does mostly nothing. Of course if a rune user set a rune of obscurity on something and tied it to a rune to reveal it anyone could write that rune on the skin with anything and still get it to work. That however isn't using the rune- it's the first rune reading the second. Active vs Passive. It's also why runes in doors and legendary weapons work. The caster is merely a spark for an already active rune. Now of course for rune users such as Leannan, Morsdea- drawing runes as such cause them to activate." Lyrica traced her finger in the air. "Of course they'd use a Rune Inker- after all magic is bad for the skin. Now what is this rune class?" 

"A grass rune?"

"Close. It's a rune to kill weeds and leave the grass alive. Or simply a rune of grass, a rune of destruction, a rune of detection, rune of weeds and a rune of protection. Those combined into the rune that our groundkeeper has on her mower. Most runes on actual objects layer multiple runes in a process called imagining. The order they layer is important. For the weed killer it is top to bottom: grass, protection, detection, weeds, destruction. A detection rune can be placed anywhere but protection and destruction will only effect the rune below them. If grass was above protection then well the ground would be a lot browner."

Lyrica stretched, "Of course runes are only as good as the user and caster. If a caster can't draw fast enough there is no point to them being used over a caster. Same with weapon runes. Completely rubbish if one can't get the proper magic flow over the runes to use it."

"Like you."

"My issue is too much magic, I'd say. Now open those tomes to chapter one. It's time to relearn how to read."

The class passed, Lyrica an impressive teacher- and extremely knowledgeable on runes for someone who couldn't use them. Lara and Deidre met her at the front. 

"Well my head hurts now. I thought trying to listen to Leannan and Brio talk runes was bad enough."

Lara shook her head, "This was the introductory class, love."

"That doesn't make it not confusing."

"Ah, Lara- leave her be. Knights aren't known for their brains."

"I want to stab you but they made me leave the sword at the front office."

"Yeah because you'd try to stab someone. You just give those vibes off- probably from your mother."

"Insult me all you want-"

"She is insulting you both."

"Yeah, who did you think this scar was from." 

"Wait- you- no way." Deidre backed away.

"Yeah, your mom got me good." Lyrica grinned, "Course I was fighting handicapped then."

"You tried to kill my mom."

"Your mom killed my parents plenty of times."

"My mom has killed plenty of parents."

"Babe it's terrifying how nonchalantly you said that."

"It's the truth."

"Lyrica, you're imperial right."

"Unfortunately yes."

"So, like how'd you end up here."

"A deal. A deal that someone has broken. It was bad enough she came, but you two are the icing."

"How so."

"Well first, my adoptive cousin, let's say Deidre is someone I know way too well and wasted so many old resets on and you contain a friend of mine and also are someone who I feel odd towards."

"Oh, you're aw- hold on cousin?"

"Protothea."

Lara thought for a moment and then her brain clicked, "Wait, that's Brio's old last name."

"Yeah. This Brio isn't my brother. Unfortunately the new resets mean there's two of me- or would be if someone didn't send a baby killer."

"Wait, you mean my mom killed another you." Deidre asked. She had the least knowledge of resets just that they happened, and that she was on a shortlist for being able to remember next time. Her Dad was one of the few the Cysgod gave information to, but to see it's effects in person was weird.

"Far as I know, yes. Don't worry, you've killed me more."

"But you work with Cysgod right?"

"I do now. I used to work with Hazel. Unfortunately even if I cared to go back, I have gained a friend that puts me at odds with her." Lyrica brushed hair out of her eyes, "Anyways, one of you is going to the summit most likely."

"It's back on?"

"Yes, turns out some cult leader caused enough trouble to get it back on."

"Mors or Leannan?"

"Mors most likely." 

"Why do you know the summit is on?"

"Galia." Lyrica snapped her finger and from her shadow seemed to emerge a pale woman with hair that seemed to change colors with each shift of her body. Two pairs of slanted eyes rested on her face, and two extra mouths were on each of her cheeks, all painted a bloody red. The woman smiled and spoke:

"Morning, Lyrica. Oh, is that Deidei? And the changing one? How fun. I am Galia, the Kir'foy'ta of Chaos. The aspect of Gakyrila that represents Chaos as anarchy. Unlike that whore Kyriasl, who is chaos for destruction. Oh, apologies, I am speaking nonsense to you."

Lara smiled, "Holy Twins, a real goddess? You're contracted with a goddess?"

"You literally work for a deity, La."

"Successor of a deity." Reminded Galia.

"Not much of a difference."

Galia laughed, "I need to help build the stage for the play this weekend. You'll be fine without me, correct?"

  "When was the last time we had to use runes here?"

Galia bowed and seemed to float effortlessly away and out the door. 

"You gals hungry?"

Deidre answered immediately, "Yes."

Lyrica chuckled, "Meet me at the cafe on Horton street. I need to clean up here first before Felicity strangles me."

The girlfriends went to the cafe, a nice little spot in the middle of town, and ordered some tea while they waited for the one who was going to pay for the food Deidre was drooling from the smell of. Around fifteen or so minutes after arriving their patron arrived, sliding into a chair. The owner rolled her eyes, and asked if it was on the school credit. Lyrica mouthed back about if she had ever paid out of pocket here. The three then ordered, the girlfriends having already decided a while ago and Lyrica having a usual she pretty much always got.

"Both of you? I suppose that's fine."

"What about Leannan?"

"If she stays I suppose I'd watch her. Not like it matters. Zurah's been here plenty, never done much. Tried to set a church up but no one took the offer."

"Zurah? The rune user?"

"Oh, no ,the cult leader. This world's Zurah isn't involved with her thankfully.

"So she's like you."

"I guess. So you've met the current Zurah, Deidei?"

"At a function I was helping guard with my old man. She seemed... a bit on edge."

Lara rolled her eyes, "Not everyone can stand the atmosphere at the capital's balls."

Lyrica chuckled, "Anyway, it's more likely for Cultist Zurah to be an issue for you. After all she's the reason why it's on again."

"Why don't you go?"

"If I have to visit the worthless excuse for a sovereign nation again I will kill myself."

"That bad?"

"The only reason why I can remember resets is because of an incident there. I could still be a blissful idiot if the former Lord didn't decide to cut me out of the picture."

"It can't have been that bad."

"Do you know how many times I died. I remember every one. I was mentally- well I wasn't well but I wasn't as apathetic to life and death. Resets are bad for retaining a grip on humanity. After all, why bother saving someone from dying if time is gonna reset again."

"Maybe I don't want to remember." Deidre said absentmindedly.

Lara changed the subject, "So, like you have any one you like here?"

"No. Not really my type around here."

"Oh, what's your type?

"Dumb and annoyingly cheerful nerds or angry, tall and can beat me up."

"None of those here? I doubt that."

"I don't know La, looked like nerds to me."

"You would say that if everyone was buff you giantess."

"It would still be true."

Lyrica bit into the sandwich which had been placed before her, "So, you two are dating huh?"

"Wow, how did you guess." Deadpanned Deidre, Lara wrapped around her arm.

"Dating or engaged?"

The two spat food out, "Dating!" they replied in unison."

"Oh man going slow this time, Deidei. One time you went straight to engagement."

"One time? I was engaged in a previous reset?"

"Like pre-me or?"

"Pre, obviously. You are as ephemera as Zurah's others,"

"Man I'm jealous, my girlfriend was engaged?"

"Babe, that was a me that isn't the me here."

"Uck, couple speak. Gag me."

"It's not like I enjoy saying it. It's embarrassing to me as well."

"So, Lyrica. What about you? Anyone you're dating?"

"No. No one."

Lara nodded, "Really? Surprising."

"Is it? She's insulted me like ten times now."

"Deidei, that has nothing to do with anyone else," Lara sighed, "So, Lyrica. Northern Players or Gertrude Stroud Company?"

"Gertrude. NP changes too much- and GS is much more queer as well."

"Yeah, but Northern's director is much better than Gertrude."

"And their actors are worse in general."

Deidre slammed her head down on the table, her girlfriend finally had some one to talk about plays with, so now she was doing to die of boredom. Please someone shut them up. If she wasn't dating Lara, and worried she'd get Lyrica so caught up in conversation that Deidre would wake up to find them still at the Cafe in the morning, she would have silently sneaked away by now. So, for the moment she had to suffer the conversation that continued before her.

Meanwhile Leannan watched the few cultists in town in their daily sermon. The town folk ignored them, their rants empty noise to their ears. Galia stood beside her, a mask upon her face. 

"I don't think Kyriasl and I have said any of those things when we were whole, Cis'go'tte."

"How would you know?"

"I can vaguely remember being us, successor." Galia turned her head towards Leannan, "What exactly is your goal here?"

"Wait for the others to move. When blind it is best to be reactive."

"Is Zurah not moving?"

"I'm more concerned with Hazel. Besides LaLy can deal with Zurah."

"If you say so. Hazel huh? Isn't your mom?"

"Yes. She is- unaware of my position. As is Hazel. Only Zurah knows of the succession."

"Interesting. So nothing from her?"

"Nothing."

"I take it you'll be sending Mors then?"

"Yep. No need for two empire rune users to go. Besides with the idiot lovers, she'll be plenty safe."

"Oh you trust Lyrica alone?"

"To protect me? No. I trust you however. Lyrica would just half ass it which is why I am making her go with them since she knows the possible issues there. She's not really much into the deal in general though. My fault."

"Underselling it a bit, Cis'go'tte."

________________________________________________________________________

A dark gloved hand traced its way up the banister of the stairs, feeling the wood as it swung in the spiral up, up, up into the top of the house where no windows were placed. The candles every ten steps grew dimmer and dimmer as they went up from a bright white to a sickly orange and yellow. The footsteps echoed as each heel clicked and clacked against the small wooden steps. The figure moved carefully, as if each step was a choice they had to consider and mull over like it was life or death. The top of the stairs was a plain dark wooden door with a black cast iron door knob. The hand grasped the knob and turned it entering a room. Or the idea of a room. It was hard to call it a room. It had a floor cover by a rug, and a desk upon which a book was written but no walls and ceilings. As in it was a void before and above. The figure stood before the desk and move the pages rapidly. Soon they slammed the book closed and let out a sigh. The waved a hand in the air and the room shrunk then shimmered, to a bed room. The figure sat on the bed and drew a rune towards the mirror.

A lady appeared in it and the figure spoke, "Isolde. I have found nothing about the resets cause."

"Still my lady?"

"Any luck, Ravenpact?"

"I am as lost as you are mistress."

"And the children?"

"Normal."

"The abnormal?"

"Lara? Like a much more happy version of what they usually are- even got into acting this time. Dating Deidre even."

"Good. Zurah is causing a commotion around the neutral territories. I've told her to cease it, but the girl is hard to get to listen. The cult hasn't had any activities in the capitol I take it?"

"None. Not like the Cysgod would allow it. The successor is quite more proactive than the old fart."

"Yes, they are. Any inkling on their identity?"

"None. They have a lot of speakers for them. I don't really think anyone has met them."

"Well if we meet I'll need to chastise them for taking Lyrica from us. Again."

"Perhaps you should consider sending someone to prevent the infanticide next reset, my lady."

"So, continue watching. I'll be in touch soon."

The figure waved their hand again and the room shifted back to the one with a desk. Time to search once more.

________________________________________________________________________

Isolde stood back from the mirror. She wondered if telling her mistress that Leannan, Deidre and Lara had gone to Feenruhe. Not like it mattered much. She sighed and returned to her office where Brioche and Salem were waiting. 

"You want me to set it up so the Blade of G'ry'lwea is open to a thievery attempt?"

"Well, yes. I want to make sure my hire doesn't die. Her and the apprentice she told me she wanted to get."

"You realize that's a treasonous act."

"I can pardon you."

"Can you pardon yourself."

"I assume so. I am the acting emperor in case of emergency."

"Brio, I can get this from one of his brats, but are you going to let him do this?"

"Yes. Seems fine. Zurah is a master thief after all."

"That's the issue here. Zurah may be a master thief but it's not because she's quiet. I am just one witch I can't hold off too many guards. Plus she's going to be here on duty."

"Oh come on, the Sword Plague is no big deal. Wine and dine her to keep her occupied."

"Look, whatever happens is on your head, prince. I'll just follow orders."

"Thank you." The boys bowed and left.

They walked into the high defenders office and sat down in a pair of chairs. Lord Galahad glanced over. 

"Your highness, Brio. I take it you delivered the dress?"

"Yeah."

"Good. Prince Salem. Why are you here?"

"Can I not visit my father's beloved city?"

"No, it's just you didn't register the visit."

"If I registered my presence would be known. I like some anonymity."

Galahad scowled looking the young man over. "If you say so, your highness." 

Brio and Salem turned and began to chat.

"The ball should coincide with their arrival. Of course that means the halls will be empty."

"Mostly. There should be guards wandering it."

"Yes, but they'll likely not be focused on their job. Some might even sneak refreshments. Which means the Hall of Treasures should be easy in and out."

"What about Deirdre?"

"They'll just have to outrun her."

"We should probably be nearby just in case."

"Fine by me."

Brio smiled, this was at least to be entertaining. He couldn't wait. For once a party here wouldn't be a suffocating affair.

________________________________________________________________________

Mors was having the dream again. Her fingers ground to knuckles upon the pavement and half her face as well. By her friend Zurah. She had it often. 

She stared at the covers she had pulled over her head. She could hear the snoring of Leannan nearby. She wriggled her fingers and touched her face. There and fine. She closed her eyes. The dream always ended suddenly. She felt like more came after but she always was shook awake by the time her bones began to touch stones. Voices that were vaguely familiar, like a memory lost in her past that was important to her but she had never heard before. A weird sensation that only made the dream disturb her more.

It was annoying, like the dream had a happy ending beyond the pain, but she never could reach it. It would make the disturbing little dream a little better if she could ever reach it, make it's repetition a little more bearable.

Dreams were supposed to have meaning right? To tell what lay deep in one's psyche. So what did her dream mean? She wasn't into self harm and she was pretty happy with her looks and her friendship with the wandering crime goat. Though she supposed it was possible to lie to oneself. She likely was about many things, things that didn't matter but helped her stay sane. That said, it was pointless to stay and think of the meaning of dreams while she needed to sleep. She did have classes tomorrow after all.

________________________________________________________________________

Zurah cut her palm and cast it into the cup, mixing it with the spirit she had poured into it. In front of her her followers did the same. She put the cup to her lips and breathed in. The iron and alcohol filling her head. She breathed out. Then tilted back her head and poured it past her tongue and down her throat. No taste hit her buds, no pleasure or disgust. They copied her. A few unused to it tasted it and gagged. The regulars stared at those in contempt. Sullying the simplest ritual to the goddess like that.

"My fellow followers. I am Zurah, speaker of our Goddess, she who will forge into and from chaos the new land which we want to live in. Today I give you news. Those slime who believe them to rule this land are once again holding summit in the land of her court. They fear us. Our action have them running. Running into a corner and we draw back on the bowstring with gleeful anticipation. Yes, it is time to thin the elite of the non believers. The rune users. Those who would use the same writing as the goddess without respecting her. Those scum who refuse to listen to reason. In death may they find her. And if they survive, may they be shown the goddess saved them from the order that death wished for them. I have sent two loyal followers to set up the attack. I have given them the curses of our goddess, the fell stench of her corpse will be burned into the deaths of their victims so it leaves no doubt in the fact they will be sacrifices for her and for her alone! She will be arisen, and we shall be her foot soldiers as she does so. Gentle lambs, chaos or death. Life or order."

"Chaos! Life!" came the chorus.

Zurah smiled, "Death to Order, Life to Chaos."

2