Not-So-Stylish Tomato
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

~.::.~

 A young man stormed out of the room, leaving his father and another man, Kwangsoo behind. The boy's father leaned on the arm of his chair and pinched the bridge of his nose. He had just forbidden his son to leave the house except for school. And even then he would be required to be escorted to and from the main office at the beginning and end of each school day by his newly hired security personnel. The boy didn't take to being caged and watched like a hawk very well. But it was for his own good. Kwangsoo had just been hired as head of security and stood next to his client's desk.

"Joosuk," Kwangsoo addressed the father. "Perhaps there's another approach to your son's safety that could satisfy both of you." He said politely.

"Tell me." Joosuk asked with interest.

~.::.~

 

YOONGI

My feet dangled four stories above the ground. I sat on top of the school building, overlooking the empty sports field below. Beyond that was the rest of the town outside a fence, as well as the clouds and sun that was still new in the morning sky. Somehow it felt like the only part of the day that was untainted. The only time I feel like I know what contentment felt like. Before it faded away.

It didn't hurt to have sweets prepared either. I dug into the pocket of my school uniform and fished out a packaged custard cake. I stuffed the empty wrapper in my other pocket and took a bite of the spongey cake.

I could imagine the lecture Halmeoni would give me about eating sweets in the morning. Even though grandparents were supposed to spoil their grandkids.

But, no. Being spoiled by grandparents were for kids who actually had parents to be the one's managing discipline. Halmeoni had to be both.

A notification bell rung in my pant pocket. I stuffed the rest of the cake in my mouth before fetching it out. Annoyance pulled at my nerves instantly when I saw the screen. It was a message from Taehyung.

Namjoon wants everyone to meet up 

behind the bleachers ASAP. 

And good morning! I missed you all!

I shook my head. "You just saw us yesterday. Weird kid."

I looked back at the view in front of me with a sigh, knowing that time of contentment was over for the day. On the other hand I couldn't help but feel wary about the fact that Namjoon decided to come to school today. Could it be because of her?

Yesterday...even I wasn't expecting she'd have the guts to stand up to him, much less take a swing. I knew she was the unfiltered type but not the physically reactive type. Was she actually acting out of genuine heroism or was she just stupid? Nowadays, what was the difference? Whatever she was, it was annoying and ruining my day. I hated when he came to school.

What a boring bunch...

I was the last to the meeting, as usual. Jungkook stood silently against the metal poles under the bleachers. His muscular arms looked as though they'd rip the seams of his jacket. Taehyung was in the middle of a story. He was the only one of us who modified his uniform to look more flashy and sleek rather than loose and disheveled.

It seems he was telling one of his 'fun time' stories. These were the stories that reminded me of why Namjoon let Taehyung hang around us, why this pretty narcissist was more suited to this group than I was. I found his tales irritating to say the least.

"She started getting louder so I stop and say, 'aish, I can't go on!' She starts freaking out, 'why? why? what's wrong?' And then-" Taehyung starts giggling uncontrollably.

"What? What did you say?" Namjoon asked eagerly, sitting on a crate.

Taehyung carried on through broken chortles. "I said, 'your face looked hideous just now, ahjumma. It's really turning me off.' Her face was like," He re-enacted a distorted look of shock which Namjoon cracked up at. I just sighed and waited for someone to start the damn meeting.

"'Ahjumma'? Wasn't she only 21?" Jungkook asked.

"That's the point, Jungkookie," explained Taehyung. "Women hate being seen as old."

Namjoon settled down and even gave the womanizer a round of applause. "Wow~! You really are the meanest of us here, Taehyung-ah. That's what I've been tryna tell you, Jungkook. The true art of warfare is not in the physical aspect but the psychological." He tapped his right temple. "You hurt someone and they just heal and fight another day. You kill them and they become a symbol of false righteousness. The most effective way to dominate is to break a person's spirit. Very good, Taehyung."

Taehyung smiled and clapped for himself before Jungkook spoke up again.

"I'd still rather fight someone." He stood as still as a rock, his arms folded. As always his face remained serious.

"Ah, of course you would. It all comes down to our own styles, I guess. Which brings me to why I called you all here." He looked towards me to make sure we were all present. "That girl from yesterday. Any of you know who she is?"

My chest tightened but I kept my eyes trained on the grass.

"Isn't she a loner?" Taehyung scratched his head. "I never really cared to notice her until yesterday. Did you see how fiery she was? It makes me wonder a few things." He licked his lips.

"Grade 12, class B. Lee Yurim. In the school choir. Friends with Jung Hoseok. Blood type: AB. Works at Chiyu Hot Springs on the-"

"Hold on, hold on. Jungkook, how do you know all this~?" Namjoon asked incredulous.

"I took a trip to the main office last night." He referred to breaking into the school so nonchalantly.

Taehyung and Namjoon looked impressed. I just couldn't believe this guy really does anything he thinks of. I also felt a great sense of horror for her if these guys are gathering information on her.

"You never cease to surprise me. Though, I wish you didn't go through the trouble. It makes it seem like she's actually important." Namjoon rubbed the back of his neck. He thought for a moment then blew out a heavy breath. "Taehyung-ah."

"Yes, captain!"

"Work your charms on her. If she bites, which I'm sure she will, do what you do best. Let's just test the waters and see how much she can take." The leader had a sparkle in his eyes. I knew this look. He was ready to have fun.

My eyes darted toward the school. You idiot girl.

 

YURIM

It was lunch time. Hoseok and I ate in the classroom with some of our classmates. Well...not 'with' in the social sense but they were separately enjoying their lunch period in the classroom.

I was glad to find that a good night's rest really did help with calming my nerves about yesterday. I definitely hadn't seen any of those four nightmares, so it was safe to say that things can go back to normal. Hoseok was able to find out that Seokjin hadn't come to school today upon his parents' request. But he's fine. Admittedly, I was hoping to see him today, but I'm glad he was getting rest.

I popped another slice of gimbap into my mouth. This morning I was pleasantly surprised to find that my mom had made my and Minju's lunch for today. She left a cute note with cute faces and everything. She and dad must've felt bad about missing dinner last night.

"We're graduating soon." Hoseok mentioned with a mouthful. "Did you figure out what your gonna do? Between attending University and your parents' business?"

I hesitated in answering. Ever since last year, my parents had been in the process of convincing me that working to own the hot spring business made attending University unnecessary. On the other hand, I was in favor of putting off the ownership plan for a couple of years to go to school. My parents insisted that it was getting tough for them in their old age to manage the business. However, I had the feeling they were also worried University would place my interests elsewhere. 

I nodded and swallowed my food. "I decided to head straight for ownership."

Hoseok's eyebrows jumped up, "really? You're sure that's what you want?"

"It's not what I want." I admitted honestly. "But I do want to take some work load off of my parents. In the end, their health is most important. Besides, I can't leave Minjoo to take advantage of them. They're too kind and lenient on her."

Hoseok seemed frozen as he stared in what looked like awe. He then broke into a tangent of admiration. "Wooow~! You sound so cool! You sound like a natural born leader."

I started blushing at the compliment. "No I don't," I smile while waving away his comment but Hoseok only laughed more at my being flustered. We both laughed until Hoseok noticed something on my shirt.

"Oh, you have a stain on your collar." He pointed. I gasped and looked for the mark. Surely enough there was a faded red splotch right on the corner.

One of the tomatoes must've squirted when I bit into it. "Aiish! Why did it have to get on my white shirt? I knew I should've left my jacket on." I clicked my tongue. "I'll be back. I'm gonna go to the bathroom." Hoseok nodded and stole a slice of gimbap from my bowl as I headed for the door. "I saw that!" The last thing I hear is his goofy laugh before entering the hallway.

The bathroom was only a couple of classes down the hall, which was strangely empty today. Students were usually seen hanging out here but none were in sight. It must've just been one of those rare times.

When I got into the bathroom, it was empty there too. I couldn't complain. There could've been a line. I loosened my tie and undid the top buttons of my dress shirt to stretch the collar out to the faucet. My back strained to keep myself bent towards the running water, but I was able scrub out most of the stain. I stood up straight again to look at my shirt in the mirror.

That's when I saw someone standing behind me.

0